Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Short2tall internal femurs with Dr. Mahboubian  (Read 19332 times)

FormerKidd

Re: Short2tall internal femurs with Dr. Mahboubian
« Reply #93 on: June 13, 2018, 12:06:01 AM »

Thanks! Dr. Mahboubian said anywhere between 3 to 5 weeks is typical. But keep in mind walking is very tough at this point, and the bone isn't actually consolidated, the rod is still supporting a lot of the weight.
Does he have the same criteria as Paley, that two or so sides have callused?  Paley's assistant seems to tell people to expect 2 months before they can walk.

My initial thought when I heard about Stryde was that it is a complete game changer, and It very well may be.
My concern about Stryde is that I think a lot of people may be overestimating it.  Yes, you'll hopefully be able to walk far sooner and maybe go back to your normal routine after lengthening rather than waiting several weeks, but during lengthening?  Given the multiple daily lengthening, PT, and pain that's involved in the process, I don't think it's going to let people work full time jobs while lengthening as they seem to hope.

short2tall

« Reply #94 on: June 13, 2018, 12:22:22 AM »

Does he have the same criteria as Paley, that two or so sides have callused?  Paley's assistant seems to tell people to expect 2 months before they can walk.

Yes he seems to have the same criteria, he didn't specifically say that 2 sides of the bone needed to have callus formation but that is more or less what he was looking for. Paley's staff might just be trying to under-promise and over-deliver so patients don't get disappointed if they can't walk as soon as they hope. 2 months seems a bit long to wait.

My concern about Stryde is that I think a lot of people may be overestimating it.  Yes, you'll hopefully be able to walk far sooner and maybe go back to your normal routine after lengthening rather than waiting several weeks, but during lengthening?  Given the multiple daily lengthening, PT, and pain that's involved in the process, I don't think it's going to let people work full time jobs while lengthening as they seem to hope.

Yes, I think you hit the nail on the head with your assessment here.
Bilateral femurs with Dr. M on March 1st
Starting height: 5'8.5"
Shooting for 5'11"

Android

« Reply #95 on: June 13, 2018, 06:13:12 AM »

Looking good! That's a nice bonus half an inch, you got so excited that you said you lengthened 7.5 inches instead of cm 😉
5'4" and 1/4" (163.2 cm) | United States | early 30s | Cross-lengthening with Dr. Solomin & Dr. Kulesh

short2tall

« Reply #96 on: June 13, 2018, 08:49:45 PM »

Haha thanks for correcting me Android. You're right, I couldn't even contain my excitement that I was able to walk again. As far as the extra half inch, I think I'll have to get a stadiometer and measure for myself.
Shooting for 5'11"

short2tall

« Reply #97 on: June 15, 2018, 07:03:45 PM »

Its been 3 days since I've been cleared to weight bear. I stopped using the walker after I got home from seeing Dr. M on the 12th. I have been walking without crutches since then. My walk definitely looks like more of a hobble at times, but I am walking unaided nonetheless. The most difficult part for me now is shifting my weight from one leg to the other when walking. It just doesn't feel natural to stand on one leg at a time after not being able to do so for such a long time. I can keep an almost natural looking gait for about 20 steps and then I start to get tired and hobble again. However I did go get a haircut yesterday and I don't think anyone in the salon noticed my walk. I am still doing PT 3 times per week, and I'm becoming more and more active each day. I think I'm even going to go grocery shopping in the next few days, because I can use the shopping cart for support if I get tired.
   I want to reiterate how lucky I feel that I was able to get through this process with no complications so far, and seem to be making a quick recovery. I am definitely not taking this fact for granted after reading about fallen's experience, and there are many others who have faced serious complications. The only things I can really attribute to my success are being in very good shape prior to LL, and vigorous PT throughout lengthening.
Shooting for 5'11"

Constantine

« Reply #98 on: June 15, 2018, 08:44:16 PM »

Its been 3 days since I've been cleared to weight bear. I stopped using the walker after I got home from seeing Dr. M on the 12th. I have been walking without crutches since then. My walk definitely looks like more of a hobble at times, but I am walking unaided nonetheless. The most difficult part for me now is shifting my weight from one leg to the other when walking. It just doesn't feel natural to stand on one leg at a time after not being able to do so for such a long time. I can keep an almost natural looking gait for about 20 steps and then I start to get tired and hobble again. However I did go get a haircut yesterday and I don't think anyone in the salon noticed my walk. I am still doing PT 3 times per week, and I'm becoming more and more active each day. I think I'm even going to go grocery shopping in the next few days, because I can use the shopping cart for support if I get tired.
   I want to reiterate how lucky I feel that I was able to get through this process with no complications so far, and seem to be making a quick recovery. I am definitely not taking this fact for granted after reading about fallen's experience, and there are many others who have faced serious complications. The only things I can really attribute to my success are being in very good shape prior to LL, and vigorous PT throughout lengthening.

Hey! Good to hear that everything is going well for you. But are you walking now without crutches 4 weeks after you stopped clicking ???

short2tall

« Reply #99 on: June 15, 2018, 09:29:05 PM »

Hey! Good to hear that everything is going well for you. But are you walking now without crutches 4 weeks after you stopped clicking ???

Yes that is correct, it has only been 4 weeks since I stopped lengthening. The bones are not fully consolidated but it is considered safe to walk at this point because the Precice rod still supports much of your weight. Once you are cleared to walk, crutches are optional. Most people use them for a while but I chose not to, because I want to get back to normal as fast as possible.
Shooting for 5'11"

short2tall

« Reply #100 on: June 27, 2018, 06:54:09 PM »

It has been 2 weeks now since I was cleared to weight bear. My walk is still improving, but my legs feel very strong. My main issue right now is some pain in my ankles and feet. I think I may have jumped the gun a little bit and thought my walk was almost normal right when I was allowed to weight bear. I soon realized I was not stepping high enough when walking, which was causing me to sort of walk on my toes. I think this is what is causing the pain in my feet right now. I'm currently working on correcting this, but it's not as easy as it seems. I find I really have to concentrate on each step.

Here are my before and after pics with Dr. Mahboubian. The angle in the after pic isn't great, but you can get the idea. Also, I'm not wearing shoes in the before pic, but the ones I have on in the after pic have very thin soles, I would say less than 1 cm. I felt noticeably taller than him at my last visit.

https://i.imgur.com/5tzlFga.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/nDfpfbc.jpg?1
Shooting for 5'11"

totallyred

« Reply #101 on: June 27, 2018, 07:39:20 PM »

in the first pic you are not wearning shoes in the second you are. plus second photo is taken with close focus than first one which would show even minor difference in an exaggerated manner (in this case the difference in your height vis-a-vis the Dr's).  Even then I dont think the difference is too much to notice. You were so frustrated with your height in the past but now you are much happy ....I again think height is more of mental than physical issue.

Johnson1111

« Reply #102 on: June 27, 2018, 07:52:33 PM »

in the first pic you are not wearning shoes in the second you are. plus second photo is taken with close focus than first one which would show even minor difference in an exaggerated manner (in this case the difference in your height vis-a-vis the Dr's).  Even then I dont think the difference is too much to notice. You were so frustrated with your height in the past but now you are much happy ....I again think height is more of mental than physical issue.

A lot of it is mental I agree but he statistically just leapfrogged millions of the population in the US by those 7.5cm added to his height. So it's definitely noticeable in every sense of the word.

totallyred

« Reply #103 on: June 27, 2018, 08:05:13 PM »

A lot of it is mental I agree but he statistically just leapfrogged millions of the population in the US by those 7.5cm added to his height. So it's definitely noticeable in every sense of the word.

ha ha and yes now he is more prone to permanent knee and spinal issues than millions of them:
 how ITB surgery is a bad idea which surgeons would not tell you:  https://www.regenexx.com/iliotibial-band-itb-release-surgery/

Johnson1111

« Reply #104 on: June 27, 2018, 08:12:31 PM »

ha ha and yes now he is more prone to permanent knee and spinal issues than millions of them:
 how ITB surgery is a bad idea which surgeons would not tell you:  https://www.regenexx.com/iliotibial-band-itb-release-surgery/

Twas live. He more than knew what he was risking going into it. If you don't think the risks are worth it you shouldn't do LL. He's had a very successful diary and almost picture perfect lengthening. No need to be pessimistic about the future when nothing negative has happened yet.

totallyred

« Reply #105 on: June 27, 2018, 08:27:01 PM »

Twas live. He more than knew what he was risking going into it. If you don't think the risks are worth it you shouldn't do LL. He's had a very successful diary and almost picture perfect lengthening. No need to be pessimistic about the future when nothing negative has happened yet.

Risk is an understatement, Risk should be called when probability of something bad happening is there. When bad is certain, it should be called as accident...
Was he told that "ALL  IT Band release surgeries would lead to permanent knee pain and would require knee replacement in very near future"
 If not, then the poor guy was duped.

Johnson1111

« Reply #106 on: June 27, 2018, 08:34:57 PM »

Risk is an understatement, Risk should be called when probability of something bad happening is there. When bad is certain, it should be called as accident...
Was he told that "ALL  ATL surgeries would lead to permanent knee pain and would require knee replacement in very near future"
 If not, then the poor guy was duped.

He got ATL for internal femurs??

totallyred

« Reply #107 on: June 27, 2018, 08:44:26 PM »

He got ATL for internal femurs??
please re-read the question again...

totallyred

« Reply #108 on: June 27, 2018, 09:18:56 PM »

I strongly think CLL is a big trap a person once caught in it would require a sequence of surgeries/tests some in immediate future and some in later future, spanning to whole  life. Rather than a one time revenue,  it is a cash cow which is used by unscrupulous doctors such as in this case.

short2tall

« Reply #109 on: June 27, 2018, 10:11:24 PM »

We are all aware that complications are possible, but for most of us the benefits outweigh the risks. I am more than happy with the results, and I'm sure the pain will subside as I work to improve my gait. The height gain may not seem like a lot, but it is actually a huge difference in real life. The pictures don't do it justice. I already stated that I wasn't wearing shoes in the first pic. The angle in the second pic makes me look smaller than I am. Look at our shoulders in comparison to each other, that is probably the best way to see the difference in these pictures.
   To laugh at the possibility that someone may face health issues is rather disrespectful. If that is your outlook on this surgery then you are probably in the wrong forum.
Shooting for 5'11"

totallyred

« Reply #110 on: June 27, 2018, 10:16:02 PM »

We are all aware that complications are possible, but for most of us the benefits outweigh the risks. I am more than happy with the results, and I'm sure the pain will subside as I work to improve my gait. The height gain may not seem like a lot, but it is actually a huge difference in real life. The pictures don't do it justice. I already stated that I wasn't wearing shoes in the first pic. The angle in the second pic makes me look smaller than I am. Look at our shoulders in comparison to each other, that is probably the best way to see the difference in these pictures.
   To laugh at the possibility that someone may face health issues is rather disrespectful. If that is your outlook on this surgery then you are probably in the wrong forum.

First, laughing was not at you but the absurd logic given above. I wish you all the best and may you never have to face this issue.
Next, I'll write after Johnson1111 replies.

short2tall

« Reply #111 on: June 27, 2018, 10:23:13 PM »

Ok, I apologize if I misinterpreted. You were correct that I had IT band lengthening, but I don't believe that has caused any problems. I have no issues in my hips or knees. The only pain I have right now is in my feet and I believe it is temporary. I think it may be extensor tendonitis, which is similar to plantar fasciitis.

The other point Johnson was making about the height difference was that I went from 30th percentile to 70th percentile, so that makes it all worth it to me. I just wanted to take my height from being a negative attribute to being a neutral or positive characteristic about me. I know this may seem superficial but its just something I really wanted to do.
Shooting for 5'11"

myloginacc

« Reply #112 on: June 27, 2018, 10:56:42 PM »

Thanks a lot for sharing the before and after pictures! They'll be very unique here for sure. I'm also so glad everything seems to have gone your way. I hope your life only gets better from now on.

And I have to agree: every centimeter past 170cm (5'7) is when you start making comparatively much bigger "jumps" in terms of percentiles, specially if you consider the world's population, rather than just young white males.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 11:20:23 PM by myloginacc »
Formerly myloginacct; had issues with my login account.
Yes I do want to add, before doing this surgery, ask yourself if you have optimized your life to the fullest extent possible (job/career, personality, etc).

short2tall

« Reply #113 on: June 28, 2018, 12:36:06 AM »

Thanks a lot for sharing the before and after pictures! They'll be very unique here for sure. I'm also so glad everything seems to have gone your way. I hope your life only gets better from now on.

And I have to agree: every centimeter past 170cm (5'7) is when you start making comparatively much bigger "jumps" in terms of percentiles, specially if you consider the world's population, rather than just young white males.

Thanks mylogin, I appreciate it.
Shooting for 5'11"

Johnson1111

« Reply #114 on: June 28, 2018, 04:42:46 AM »

First, laughing was not at you but the absurd logic given above. I wish you all the best and may you never have to face this issue.
Next, I'll write after Johnson1111 replies.

So you've been told that leapfrogging the population by over 40% in height is not useless by three people now and yet you continue to call it absurd logic? So yes, you ARE laughing at him. You're saying he barely got any taller and it wasn't worth the risks. You're subliminally throwing shots at him, not me. That sums up every comment you've made...Even to the point of calling LL a scam in itself on this same post.

Take your shxt elsewhere.

If you have something to say you feel strongly about, you should just say it directly to him instead of using a non directed comment or a comment directed to me (that's meant for him) as an outlet.

If you don't like the idea of LL, don't try to pitch it to us. We don't need it. We've already done the research and the person in question has already done the surgery already and discussed with his doctor in Length about it beforehand.

short2tall

« Reply #115 on: July 10, 2018, 07:36:46 PM »

A quick update:

It's been about 7 weeks since I stopped lengthening, and one month since I was cleared to walk. I can definitely still feel the effects of the surgery, but I'm getting better and better every day. I feel almost normal now except when standing up from a seated position, using stairs, or walking for long distances. I had to walk at least a mile on the 4th of July to get to the fireworks display, and I was very sore after that.
   I've been home for about 2 weeks now and it feels so good to return to a somewhat normal life. I managed to get a job that I really wanted so I'm very happy about that. I was able to walk around and look normal at the interview, which was something I was really worried about. Hopefully by next week I'll be ready to spend most of the day on my feet!
   I've been back to the gym a few times now as well. I either use machines or have a friend assist me with the weight plates and dumbbells.
Shooting for 5'11"

fallen774

« Reply #116 on: July 10, 2018, 08:09:41 PM »

A quick update:

It's been about 7 weeks since I stopped lengthening, and one month since I was cleared to walk. I can definitely still feel the effects of the surgery, but I'm getting better and better every day. I feel almost normal now except when standing up from a seated position, using stairs, or walking for long distances. I had to walk at least a mile on the 4th of July to get to the fireworks display, and I was very sore after that.
   I've been home for about 2 weeks now and it feels so good to return to a somewhat normal life. I managed to get a job that I really wanted so I'm very happy about that. I was able to walk around and look normal at the interview, which was something I was really worried about. Hopefully by next week I'll be ready to spend most of the day on my feet!
   I've been back to the gym a few times now as well. I either use machines or have a friend assist me with the weight plates and dumbbells.

So glad to hear of your speedy recovery! I'm procrastinating a lot going back to the gym, trying to recover that willpower I had for the past year or so which I lost after the surgery. I'm more only into free weights and the thought of mishandling the dumbbells with the current weight bearing limitations scares the s* out of me :P Hopefully by the end of the week I'll give it a try.

Keep up the good work!
before: 5'5.5
now: 5'8.2 (+2.7")
surgery date: April 5th, 2018
stopped lengthening: June 20th, 2018
Dr. Mahboubian, North Hollywood

short2tall

« Reply #117 on: July 11, 2018, 12:40:55 PM »

Thanks fallen. There are definitely still a lot of exercises I can't do, but I try to get creative and make sure I'm never putting too much pressure on my legs. If you have a partner to work out with you can have them hand you dumbbells while you are seated on a bench. I feel safe carrying a up to maybe a 35 lb dumbbell myself, and I have been picking up 45 lb plates to load them onto bars or machines. Even while doing this I don't feel like there is too much pressure on my legs.
Shooting for 5'11"

myloginacc

« Reply #118 on: July 14, 2018, 01:41:59 PM »

Finally here I am seated. Unfortunately I didn't have anything I could sit on where my legs would be at 90 degrees:

https://i.imgur.com/qJBvqfp.jpg

By the way, I just wanted to make a comment on this, regarding femoral patients.

People seem to think the disproportion is most obvious when someone is sat on a short bench/chair. However, I've seen taller people (generally tall women) whose upper legs looked exactly like that when sat down in ways similar to that one.
Formerly myloginacct; had issues with my login account.
Yes I do want to add, before doing this surgery, ask yourself if you have optimized your life to the fullest extent possible (job/career, personality, etc).

Johnson1111

« Reply #119 on: July 14, 2018, 01:45:54 PM »

Long legs are attractive af. My quads are beautifully sculpted right now but I couldn't give less of a shxt if I can grow 3.25 inches and have some long legs.

Android

« Reply #120 on: July 27, 2018, 10:49:40 AM »

Feels like yesterday that you were hobbling with a walker at 0.5 MPH! Congrats on the job, great to hear that you're getting back into your old routine. Keep it up!
5'4" and 1/4" (163.2 cm) | United States | early 30s | Cross-lengthening with Dr. Solomin & Dr. Kulesh

JohnOdin

• Visitor
« Reply #121 on: July 29, 2018, 02:48:47 PM »

hey short2tall, I read your diary and your surgery + recovery was amazing, you are really gifted in that. I read earlier the surgery cost was about 75k. is there any way for you to give us an estimate of how much everything costed? (surgery, PT, living area, food, caretaker, etc.)

short2tall

« Reply #122 on: October 01, 2018, 11:35:33 PM »

Hey everyone, here is a quick update so you can see my current progress. I'm posting the links to 2 pictures below. My legs are starting to fill back out and the additional length is becoming less and less noticeable. I am still not pushing myself too hard when it comes to working out my legs, although I am probably ok to do so at this point. I've been doing light squats while holding dumbbells and just walking a lot. I feel like I have regained my full range of motion, and no longer have any regular pains that would be associated with the procedure. I do get an occasional clicking sound coming from my knees when I get up after a long period of sitting, but it is not painful at all.
   Very few people know that I had the procedure and no one that I've seen since I've returned have made any comments about my legs looking odd. I've even been called tall a few times now and it feels pretty good! Again it's all subjective but I am still happy with my decision to go through with this procedure. I can now say from experience that it will not dramatically change or improve your life, but it may give you the confidence boost you are looking for. Check out the pictures and let me know what you think!

https://i.imgur.com/ZATfaaI.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/z0rPc8M.jpg
Shooting for 5'11"

doomsday

« Reply #123 on: October 01, 2018, 11:56:03 PM »

If you didn't tell you had LL I would have never guessed.  But you need a good inch on those quads ;)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up