Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can you fly back to your home country after the lengthening phase?  (Read 1504 times)

Mrbeast6000

• Visitor

Hey guys I’m fairly new to LL and have a few questions I haven’t managed to find on other threads.
The main one being, after surgery and the lengthening phase is a patient allowed to fly back to their home country for the healing/consolidation period?

The particulars of this surgery would be in Russia, External frames, 6-8cm tibia lengthening, home country is New Zealand. I understand I would have to return to Russia for frame removal and corrections if I went back home but I want to know if this is something that is commonly done or if you are able to do it at all.

Thanks.

Re: Can you fly back to your home country after the lengthening phase?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 08:08:23 AM »

Responsible doctors will not allow it.

Knik

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 10:22:48 AM »

Russia is cheap, if you have a visa stay there
Looking for Pili

Muller25

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 03:33:17 PM »

Do it in Serbia instead. Stay is cheap and visa is easier to get unlike Russia

Android

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2018, 07:43:24 PM »

Yes, many doctors will allow you to go home after lengthening.

Especially if you are considering LON or LATN, it's safe to go home after locking those nails; you won't have frames on any longer either. You'll want to find a local physiotherapist to restore your gait and range of motion (ROM). You'll fly back a year or so later to get the nails removed through a much simpler procedure, and you should be back to walking the next day.

Summary of what you could do: install frames, lengthen, correction, lock nails, remove frames, go home to consolidate, restore gait, return to clinic a year later to remove nails.
5'4" and 1/4" (163.2 cm) | United States | early 30s | Cross-lengthening with Dr. Solomin & Dr. Kulesh

Mrbeast6000

• Visitor
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2018, 09:32:50 PM »

Especially if you are considering LON or LATN, it's safe to go home after locking those nails; you won't have frames on any longer either. You'll want to find a local physiotherapist to restore your gait and range of motion (ROM). You'll fly back a year or so later to get the nails removed through a much simpler procedure, and you should be back to walking the next day.

Summary of what you could do: install frames, lengthen, correction, lock nails, remove frames, go home to consolidate, restore gait, return to clinic a year later to remove nails.

Thanks Android that’s exactly what I was looking for (from reading these forums it seems as though you’re somewhat of a celebrity on here lol, I’m honoured :D )

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2018, 07:53:34 AM »

Actually this is my back up plan (if I decide to go the LATN with Lee) , may I PM you to discuss more on this? thanks.

Android

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2018, 07:45:16 AM »

may I PM you to discuss more on this?

Sure thing, I have an open door policy.
5'4" and 1/4" (163.2 cm) | United States | early 30s | Cross-lengthening with Dr. Solomin & Dr. Kulesh

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2018, 08:22:16 AM »

Sure thing, I have an open door policy.

When I saw your comment 'I have an open door policy', first thing I chceked is your gender (in the icon), LOL, :), kidding

Myexperience

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2018, 10:48:03 PM »

Responsible doctors will not allow it.
If thry care about their patients no. Butchers do it in turkey.

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2018, 07:43:02 PM »

Android, am kinda confused after reading your pos (quoted above) , can you please clarify (to make sure that I am not misinformed) , when you say "Especially if you are considering LON or LATN, it's safe to go home after locking those nails; you won't have frames on any longer either. You'll want to find a local physiotherapist to restore your gait and range of motion (ROM). You'll fly back a year or so later to get the nails removed through a much simpler procedure, and you should be back to walking the next day." - are you saying the patient cannot walk even after nailing? (LATN) and can walk only after nail removal? I thought patients of LATN can walk (with crutches of course) afteer nailing and though the walk will be bad and only for a few minutes initially, gradually in a few months (after muscles stretched and callous is denser) patient can walk well (much before nail removal). Plz advise. Thanks.

Android

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2018, 10:00:29 PM »

You got it right.

After nailing, even though it's weight bearing, you won't be walking like your old self. You'll spend a couple months restoring your gait, initially with a walker like you said. You'll be close to normal after this point.

A year or two later, you should get the nails removed. The procedure is relatively quick, you'll probably only spend one night at the hospital and you'll be walking with a little soreness the next day.

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2018, 04:20:50 AM »

You got it right.

After nailing, even though it's weight bearing, you won't be walking like your old self. You'll spend a couple months restoring your gait, initially with a walker like you said. You'll be close to normal after this point.

A year or two later, you should get the nails removed. The procedure is relatively quick, you'll probably only spend one night at the hospital and you'll be walking with a little soreness the next day.

Thanks Android
Pages: [1]   Go Up