Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tibia or Femur?  (Read 1569 times)

Johnathan

• Visitor
Tibia or Femur?
« on: April 09, 2018, 02:32:27 PM »

What would you rather do? Tibia or Femur?
I'm 5'11 with a goal of 6'2-6'3, my Femur is about 3 inches longer than my tibia,
So I guess that if I will extend the femur it will look pretty weird. What do you think ? I'm also aware of the fact that you can extend the femur more than the tibia and thus getting better results, but the fact that I'm 5'11 means I can extend the tibia probably a bit longer than other people who are 5-5 or 5-6 etc.

FormerKidd

Re: Tibia or Femur?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 02:36:05 PM »

Do you know what your tibia/femur ratio is?  Research has suggested it's safer to have a longer femur.

Johnathan

• Visitor
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 02:41:18 PM »

Do you know what your tibia/femur ratio is?  Research has suggested it's safer to have a longer femur.
I've masured my tibia is:42 cm and femur is 49-48

myloginacct

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 04:21:57 PM »

Please let us know the doctors who are not doing only internal Precice and who'd agree to operate on you.

Johnathan

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 08:37:58 PM »

Please let us know the doctors who are not doing only internal Precice and who'd agree to operate on you.
well I was thinking of doing internal only anyway but what do you mean? That doctors are only willing to do the surgery on people that are considered short such as 5'7 and under? (Though I'm pretty sure that most doctors will take any paying patient  ;) )

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 02:41:05 PM »

well I was thinking of doing internal only anyway but what do you mean? That doctors are only willing to do the surgery on people that are considered short such as 5'7 and under? (Though I'm pretty sure that most doctors will take any paying patient  ;) )

you want my frank opinion? if as a 5'11 guy you want LL, you must get your brains checked first, and any surgeon who does LL on a 5'11" guy also needs to be in a mental asylum or jail. This is not a nose job or chin implant.

Android

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 05:32:10 PM »

any surgeon who does LL on a 5'11" guy also needs to be in a mental asylum or jail

To be fair, Dr. Paley does, and I actually agree with his opinion. I admit that it's easier to agree when a doctor is using state of the art internal devices combined with expertise, lowering risk down to a minimum (as it should be for elective cosmetic procedures).

Some of us want to go from below average to average, some want to go from above average to their ideal. If they've got the money, time, and understand the risks... Who am I to judge.
5'4" and 1/4" (163.2 cm) | United States | early 30s | Cross-lengthening with Dr. Solomin & Dr. Kulesh

myloginacct

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2018, 05:44:12 PM »

To be fair, Dr. Paley does, and I actually agree with his opinion. I admit that it's easier to agree when a doctor is using state of the art internal devices combined with expertise, lowering risk down to a minimum (as it should be for elective cosmetic procedures).

Some of us want to go from below average to average, some want to go from above average to their ideal. If they've got the money, time, and understand the risks... Who am I to judge.

That's exactly why I phrased my sentence the way I did. There's a huge leap between Paley agreeing to do it to some doctor agreeing to do external femurs because this one (just an example, not a personal attack) young, insecure, tall kid would like to be even taller, but also has undiagnosed BDD and finds lengthening his tibias to be a total non-option. So he goes to some country to get his femurs lengthened externally, despite his stature and finances. The doctor sees and ignores that. That's why I think we should know the name of those doctors... Some have even been shameless and didn't say 10cm should not be a goal due to safety reasons.

Sadly, CLL is full of doctors with poor ethical standards. But I guess that's a given considering how controversial it is.

EDIT: Still yet to watch that whole presentation, by the way. Doing so when I find the time.

Android

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2018, 06:07:05 PM »

Sadly, CLL is full of doctors with poor ethical standards. But I guess that's a given considering how controversial it is.

EDIT: Still yet to watch that whole presentation, by the way. Doing so when I find the time.

Definitely, hence the importance for a psych eval too. Some are average or tall and simply want more height, some are devastated with life and are hinging everything on a few inches. The latter patient needs counseling before CLL.

In the video, he says that a prospective was going to take out a second mortgage on the house and get CLL behind their wife's back. Needless to say he was denied as a patient. Not only is CLL controversial, it has so much stigma that it makes people desperate, acting irrationally at times. The massive amount of commitment, both money and time, just adds to the confusion.

FYI, I watched the video at 1.25~1.5x to save a little time  :)
5'4" and 1/4" (163.2 cm) | United States | early 30s | Cross-lengthening with Dr. Solomin & Dr. Kulesh

DonBones

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2018, 05:15:41 PM »

How do you properly measure tibia and femur length? Is that even possible without x-rays?
First Surgery - Prof Betz - 28th July 2021 🇩🇪
Nail Removal - Dr Becker - 13th December 2023 🇩🇪
Lengthened: 5.00cm
Height: 180cm
Current Phase: Post Nail-Removal Adaptation

Android

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2018, 05:20:57 PM »

How do you properly measure tibia and femur length? Is that even possible without x-rays?

It won't be as accurate as an x-ray, but you can get an acceptable estimate by measuring like these videos: tibias and femurs.

Mars

• Visitor
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2018, 06:15:56 PM »

What would you rather do? Tibia or Femur?
I'm 5'11 with a goal of 6'2-6'3, my Femur is about 3 inches longer than my tibia,
So I guess that if I will extend the femur it will look pretty weird. What do you think ? I'm also aware of the fact that you can extend the femur more than the tibia and thus getting better results, but the fact that I'm 5'11 means I can extend the tibia probably a bit longer than other people who are 5-5 or 5-6 etc.

Take a photo of yourself from waist level and edit it to add 3 inches to your femur or three inches to your tibia. Judge for yourself which looks better. To lengthen that much you should lean toward femurs though for a better recovery.

KrP1

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2018, 08:36:37 PM »

if you are going to do only one surgery go for femurs allways

OverrideYourGenetics

• OverrideYourGenetics.com (no PMs, please email me)
At 5'11"? Neither!
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2018, 09:32:02 PM »

I'm a CLL patient one month into my journey. I'm doing both tibias and femurs, starting from only 5'5".

That said, if I could go back in time, I would definitely NOT have this surgery again (except MAYBE with PRECICE 3/UNYTE/STRYDE). While the surgery itself isn't that terrible, the recovery process is rather atrocious. Doctors (even Paley's team) won't mention how pervasive this is, but if you read diaries on the this forum, you'll learn that pretty much everyone has extremely poor sleep due to the pain and discomfort post-op. Sleep deprivation leads to slower healing and can easily lead to depressive episodes, depending on your predispositions and emotional support. If you're 5'11" and *if* you are still obsessed about your height, you might be in danger of feeling miserable during the recovery process, not following the plan (e.g. physical therapy at home) etc.

You didn't mention your finances, doctor you have in mind, and who would take care of you, but you really need a caretaker for the first two weeks after the surgery, and ideally a trusted friend or family member throughout the whole process. You'll typically be living a boring repetitive life during the recovery period, confined to a wheelchair, couch, or bed. I'm going through that right now and even though I can watch all the TV shows or movies I want, or read all the books, I'd much rather have my legs back and be able to walk on the beach, or, you know, STAND while brushing my teeth.

So unless you're aiming for STRYDE (PRECICE 3), which claims only 3 weeks of wheelchair post-op, my advice re. femurs vs. tibias at 5'1"" is - DON'T DO IT. Spend that money in other ways to improve your life. We're talking about tens of thousands of dollars, and months of downtime. Think of what else you could do with all that money. Take seduction classes if attracting women is your reason. Take business seminars or even start a small startup if your reason is "getting a higher salary' (someone else PMed me and said that's why they want CLL). Etc.

Here's a three-step process or you:

1. Ask yourself what your core, #1, reason for doing CLL is. Example: to attract hot girls
2. Then ask, "If I had that, would I still do it?". Example: If I had a really hot girlfriend/wife, who also liked me at my current height, would I still do CLL?
3. If the answer is still "Yes", go back to step 1.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 10:42:13 PM by OverrideYourGenetics »
My diary. Tibias+femurs 3.75+3.75cm at the Paley Institute (5'5" -> 5'8") in my late 30s.
One of the last patients to use the PRECICE 2.2 nail. I met the first STRYDE patient and I strongly recommend the new STRYDE nail instead.

Android

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2018, 09:55:35 PM »

+1 for OYG

Body Builder

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2018, 10:04:21 PM »

@overrideyourgenetics, you shouldn't have done both segments at almost the same time.
You should have waited at least 1 year after finishing consolidation in one segment and then do the other.
I wonder how respectable doctors like Paley do something so dangerous and barbaric like that. Maube because their hunger for money is bigger that keep their patient safe and in the best condition they can.

Anyway, anyway over 5.11 who wants LL, anywhere in the world, is a madman and that has nothing to do with your experience.
Also, anyone, regardles of his height, should avoid doing both segments at the same time at all costs.

Android

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2018, 10:32:19 PM »

I wonder how respectable doctors like Paley do something so dangerous and barbaric like that. Maube because their hunger for money is bigger that keep their patient safe and in the best condition they can.e at all costs.

My best guess is that because patients ask for it. I wouldn't be surprised if he dissuades prospective patients from doing all four segments, but does it anyway because while grueling, it's still safe. Basically ends up with the doctor saying: you asked for it, I told you so, but stay strong.

And OYG, we'll ask you after consolidation if it's worth doing again. Overall satisfaction is greatly influenced by the results after all.

FormerKidd

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2018, 10:44:38 PM »

@overrideyourgenetics, you shouldn't have done both segments at almost the same time.
You should have waited at least 1 year after finishing consolidation in one segment and then do the other.
I wonder how respectable doctors like Paley do something so dangerous and barbaric like that. Maube because their hunger for money is bigger that keep their patient safe and in the best condition they can.
During my consultation with Paley, I told him I was interested in doing both segments, but he said he advised most people just to do the femurs.  He said he felt like most people were happy with those results, and you could always come back and do tibias later if you still wanted it.

I've done femurs (and am still recovering), and I don't think I want to spend another 3 months of my life in pain or aching for 4cm or whatever on tibias.

myloginacct

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2018, 11:45:06 PM »

Anyway, anyway over 5.11 who wants LL, anywhere in the world, is a madman and that has nothing to do with your experience.
Also, anyone, regardles of his height, should avoid doing both segments at the same time at all costs.

I don't know why Paley does quadrilateral, either. I guess he thinks he is prepared to deal with all the risks if the patient wants to do all his CLL at once.

[OYG's post]

Talk about unluckiest timing ever.

Precice 1.0 had a lot of problems, as we could see in Paley's presentation, though. Maybe that will be the same for the first cases with Stryde/Precice 3.

Precice 2.2 is most likely a safer bet, despite all the pain and difficulty you're currently going through. Stay strong. This won't last forever.

westercoasten

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2018, 03:49:42 PM »

I've masured my tibia is:42 cm and femur is 49-48
How do you measure this correctly, thought it only was possible with x-ray.
Pages: [1]   Go Up