Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: It looks like nobody gets back to normal after LL ?  (Read 1242 times)

NFT

• Visitor
It looks like nobody gets back to normal after LL ?
« on: March 15, 2018, 05:22:43 PM »

Hi

This is my first post. I've been going through the patient experiences for almost a month now.
It seems to me that the process of LL is crazy difficult and all the patient experiences I've read reported that they are not back to normal some even after years post surgery.

I'm kinda feeling disappointed, as this surgery is the only thing giving me hope at the moment.

LAGrowin

Re: It looks like nobody gets back to normal after LL ?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 06:03:16 PM »

That's actually not true at all and a very general statement.  You might be reading the wrong diaries.

First thing is to have a positive mind set going into this and know what you're getting into.

Difficult?  Yes. Probably like most any surgery.     Crazy difficult ? NO.    You need to decide like every sacrifice in life,  it the possible reward is worth it for you.

Also depends on the type of lengthening you do,  where, and how much.

You also need to read the diaries where people have lengthened safe amounts and are back to 99% just months after surgery.

Don't be so negative, especially in your first post.  Do more research if you're serious about this.

Android

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 06:12:22 PM »

You haven't seen the whole picture. The fact of the matter is that many don't finish their diaries, and most don't come back after consolidation (because they stop obsessing over height and don't feel the need to return). Common complications are sometimes seen as detrimental to healthy adults, but in the scope of LL they're many times routine, and much of it are recovered over time (scarring, range of motion, gait, muscle atrophy, etc.).

And this is the internet: the biggest incentive to review something is if someone doesn't like something -- we like to rant online, find someone that will listen. A louder voice doesn't necessarily make it true. I'm not belittling negative experiences here, I'm just noting that it's in our nature to rant, and we also as readers look for bad experiences to confirm suspicions (confirmation bias; of course, some just focus on the good and ignore the negative experiences).

I'm not saying that it's a cakewalk either, just saying that it's not as dire as you currently see it. Plenty more people get LL done for non-cosmetic reasons, and they live perfectly happy lives.

I suggest you also look at papers on sites like NCBI or ResearchGate. Here's one in particular that discusses outcome satisfaction (mean follow-up time of 6.14 years), plenty more if you take the time:

At the latest follow-up, all patients were satisfied with improvements in self-esteem, distress or shyness and quality of life. They all stated that they would recommend the treatment to others of similar stature. When asked whether they would have this surgery again, 53 answered positively, and the remaining 10 were undecided (Figs. 2,3,4,5).

Based on the parameters of patient satisfaction, axial deviation, restricted joint movement, pronation of the foot, leg length discrepancy and scars, the outcome was excel-lent in 56 patients (88.8%), good in 5 (7.9%) and fair in 2 (3.1%).

The final aesthetic effects were satisfactory in all cases and all patients continued with their previous sport activities
5'4" and 1/4" (163.2 cm) | United States | early 30s | Cross-lengthening with Dr. Solomin & Dr. Kulesh

myloginacct

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 06:48:32 PM »

Yes, you are correct. There's no sugar coating it. You won't ever be back to 100% normal by unnaturally stretching your soft tissues.

Your best bet is lengthening sensibly with a good doctor. Some members reported being back to 70% or 80% of what they were. However, this is all subjective, and we can't experience their recovery personally. Do your research and trust your guts.

Android

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 09:57:45 PM »

There's no sugar coating it. You won't ever be back to 100% normal by unnaturally stretching your soft tissues.

Yep, this isn't magic, we are breaking bones and pushing limits after all.

And another point in subjectivity is defining "normal," since some are athletic and are afraid of decreased performance post-CLL. Their level of normal is a much higher hurdle compared to a person who isn't very physically active.
5'4" and 1/4" (163.2 cm) | United States | early 30s | Cross-lengthening with Dr. Solomin & Dr. Kulesh

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2018, 11:52:41 PM »

Depends if you go to a butcher you won't and lengthening amount. If you exceed 6+ cm in my opinion you wont go back 100%. Who knows if you'll even go back 100% with 1cm. Granted, I haven't actually broken my bones and regenerated them but I've studied Anatomy and Physiology and just imagining how it feels. Pretty long recovery to have the same leg endurance you had, I'd imagine.

GeTs

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2018, 12:28:53 AM »

Depends if you go to a butcher you won't and lengthening amount. If you exceed 6+ cm in my opinion you wont go back 100%. Who knows if you'll even go back 100% with 1cm. Granted, I haven't actually broken my bones and regenerated them but I've studied Anatomy and Physiology and just imagining how it feels. Pretty long recovery to have the same leg endurance you had, I'd imagine.

The bone is stronger than before, body repairs it to prevent it in the future.. Problem is if you go past the elasticity of muscles and nerves

NFT

• Visitor
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2018, 10:16:57 AM »

Thank you guys for participating in this.

My problem is that I'm 5 2 and I'm not really athletic at all which I've heard is something that helps with recovery. Best case scenario for me is going from 5 2 to 5 5 which is still pretty short.
I'm definitely okay with spending the money to be less short, but I'm not willing to put my self in a situation like Unicorn or Kiliokhan or Sweden or any of the other bad diaries out there.
Also there is the time period.
I'm going to be moving to the UK next year to do my masters and I'm thinking of doing the surgery during summer brake with Dr.Pili , get done with lengthening and go back to the UK to continue my studies and I'm not really sure if this is possible.

Body Builder

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2018, 12:41:43 PM »

Thank you guys for participating in this.

My problem is that I'm 5 2 and I'm not really athletic at all which I've heard is something that helps with recovery. Best case scenario for me is going from 5 2 to 5 5 which is still pretty short.
I'm definitely okay with spending the money to be less short, but I'm not willing to put my self in a situation like Unicorn or Kiliokhan or Sweden or any of the other bad diaries out there.
Also there is the time period.
I'm going to be moving to the UK next year to do my masters and I'm thinking of doing the surgery during summer brake with Dr.Pili , get done with lengthening and go back to the UK to continue my studies and I'm not really sure if this is possible.
Kilokahn and Sweden are average cases, not bad.
If you do externals only in a not top doctor and lengthen 3 inches as you say there is a huge possibility to have average results.
If you lengthen 6cm and go to a good doctor to avoid malunions your results may be very good (close to 90% preLL).

Anyway, at your height I'd take any risk to become taller. I did it at 5.6 and I don't regret it although my resukts were average and nothing more. Still I feel much better than being a completely healthy and with full sports caoabilities 5.6 ft man. At 5.2 I'd be willing to do LL even if the risks were far more than they are.

NFT

• Visitor
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2018, 03:57:34 PM »

Sweden has x legs for ever I don't care about sports but x legs is something I would really hate to have. Kiliokhan had to do other surgeries as well.

I know that I'm really really short right now. It wasn't a really big problem for me in my country (average male 170m or 5 7) but I'm thinking it would be a problem in the UK that's why I'm starting to consider this.

myloginacct

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2018, 08:38:56 AM »

Sweden has x legs for ever I don't care about sports but x legs is something I would really hate to have. Kiliokhan had to do other surgeries as well.

I know that I'm really really short right now. It wasn't a really big problem for me in my country (average male 170m or 5 7) but I'm thinking it would be a problem in the UK that's why I'm starting to consider this.

You'll have to do a lot of thinking. Do you mind telling us which region of the world where you live? Depending on LL method, it's crucial to be more readily available to your doctor.

Mivsta101

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2018, 10:38:24 AM »

I feel like getting LL in two segments instead of one greatly diminishes your chances of getting back to 100% pre LL form or even better. It seems like getting the Femurs done in one go is the safest method of doing limb lengthening and although it can look bad if your tibias are too short, Its probably worth it. Im 5'10 and i will only do limb lengthening in one segment only and thats the femurs. Doing both segments is what hinders LL'ers imo. But thats just my opinion from what ive read and seen.

Myexperience

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2018, 10:52:51 PM »

Depends on who u pick. Abu beka or Ali Baba. Both of them football. Greed is the new black and weed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up