Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice needed  (Read 1441 times)

sickofbeingshort

• Visitor
Advice needed
« on: April 01, 2018, 02:21:18 PM »

Hey guys, so I was recommended this forum from fellow /r/short redditors.

A little bit about myself, I'm living in SEA right now and my current height is 165cm/5'5". I'm hoping to achieve the height of 180cm/5'11".

I'm so sick of being short...like really really sick of it. My friends used to make fun of my height and as we grew up even though they don't anymore, the damage has already been done. No counselling could gain back my confidence. I understand that even if I get the height that I want, confidence won't magically come back to me. But one thing for sure, I have one less thing to worry about. The thing is, I'm financially incapable to pay for the high amount of fees in order to lengthen my limbs. I'm still a student. I was hoping to visit Dr Paley as he's really famous in this field but the fees he charges are ridiculously high. I know that insurance doesn't cover cosmetic surgeries.

I hope you guys can tell me how you manage to finance limb lengthening. In the meantime, I will browse through this forum and read about other people's experience.

myloginacct

Re: Advice needed
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2018, 07:46:29 PM »

Are you originally from SEA? Your height should be average there. Even above average for certain countries.

A 15cm increase is too much. Even our richest posters aren't risking it, despite having the best LL surgeons in the world.

No counselling could gain back my confidence.

Not with an attitude like that.

It's not like you're 165cm and living in the Netherlands, like some of the posters here.

Android

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2018, 05:54:13 AM »

Quite an ambitious goal. I suggest you lower them, how about 6 cm in your tibias? Quite a boost if you're in SEA, because like myloginacct said... 165 cm isn't bad at all in your region.

If you're living and working in SEA, Dr. Paley is indeed out of your budget, unless your grandfather founded Red Bull. You'll still need to at least budget $20,000 USD. It can be cheaper in countries like Russia (and apparently Vietnam), but you'll be out of work; you'll need to budget for that.
5'4" and 1/4" (163.2 cm) | United States | early 30s | Cross-lengthening with Dr. Solomin & Dr. Kulesh

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2018, 07:01:40 PM »

What? 180 cm? The average height of the SEA cannot exceed 170CM.
The average height of men aged 18 to 24 in Japan is 171cm.
Chinese men aged 18 to 24 have an average height of 172cm.
SEA 6 cm enough

Do you have a group of model friends?

myloginacct

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2018, 10:46:53 PM »

SEA 6 cm enough

The three shortest countries in the world (for males) are: Yemen, Laos and Timor-Leste. The last two are in SEA. Men average 160cm there.

(Though there are African pygmy tribes where the average is even shorter.)

sickofbeingshort

• Visitor
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2018, 04:12:46 PM »

Are you originally from SEA? Your height should be average there. Even above average for certain countries.

A 15cm increase is too much. Even our richest posters aren't risking it, despite having the best LL surgeons in the world.

Not with an attitude like that.

It's not like you're 165cm and living in the Netherlands, like some of the posters here.

Don't be ignorant. That's the average height, I'm living in the city where most people are well fed and grow to their full potential. The Malays and Indians over here are taller than the Chinese, in fact most of my friends are taller than 170cm. I'm gonna migrate to Europe in the future, I'm already shorter than a lot of people in my country, imagine moving there. Oh, and don't give me sh*tty advice like don't move there.

SEA 6 cm enough

And who made that rule? Just because the average height of everyone is around that value doesn't mean I have to comply and be satisfied with my height. No but I'm the shortest among my friends, I tried to apply to become a model but I wasn't qualified because of my height. Also, read my reply above.

Quite an ambitious goal. I suggest you lower them, how about 6 cm in your tibias? Quite a boost if you're in SEA, because like myloginacct said... 165 cm isn't bad at all in your region.

If you're living and working in SEA, Dr. Paley is indeed out of your budget, unless your grandfather founded Red Bull. You'll still need to at least budget $20,000 USD. It can be cheaper in countries like Russia (and apparently Vietnam), but you'll be out of work; you'll need to budget for that.

Finally, a constructive reply! Thank you for that. Can't I do both tibia and femur? That way I'd be able to achieve that height.

Honestly, I thought that this forum is supposed to be about helping each other out because obviously all of us here are not satisfied with our height but instead I was told not to do this or that and be satisfied with my height because of ___ which is not constructive at all. Like come on, if I am satisfied why would I be here in the first place?

Android

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2018, 05:06:08 PM »

Can't I do both tibia and femur? That way I'd be able to achieve that height.

Yes, either one after the other, preferably a year apart. You could do external frames for tibias and internals for femurs. Since you mentioned Dr. Paley, perhaps you've seen that he performs internal tibias and femurs in succession.

Or you can do cross-lengthening, basically lengthening one tibia and the femur on the opposite side, then repeat on the other pair (note: not recommending the doctor since I don't know much about him, but here's a page that explains the process). This method is typically executed with external frames, it's done this way so that you don't have bulky frames on both of your thighs.

Either method, you could aim for 6 cm on tibias, 7 cm on femurs. Not quite 15 cm, but it's close, and safer.
5'4" and 1/4" (163.2 cm) | United States | early 30s | Cross-lengthening with Dr. Solomin & Dr. Kulesh

myloginacct

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2018, 05:46:51 PM »

Don't be ignorant. That's the average height, I'm living in the city where most people are well fed and grow to their full potential. The Malays and Indians over here are taller than the Chinese, in fact most of my friends are taller than 170cm. I'm gonna migrate to Europe in the future, I'm already shorter than a lot of people in my country, imagine moving there. Oh, and don't give me sh*tty advice like don't move there.

Oh great, another narcissistic prick with a condescending attitude.

Go ahead and do 15cm; go be the greatest wheelchair model.

Also, the thing about people from the cities being "well-fed and taller" is often mentioned by Indian posters here as gospel truth, but scientific data shows height in India hasn't changed in a century, even as living standards improved. This is just height neurosis making you notice all the people taller than you and making the average higher in your head. Unless you have statistical data about the youth you're talking about to argue back with, that's just your own subjective experience of life; i.e. your anecdotal opinion.

I tried to apply to become a model but I wasn't qualified because of my height.

Oh, poor you. Attempted to become a model at 165cm but couldn't.

sickofbeingshort

• Visitor
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2018, 06:21:50 PM »

Oh great, another narcissistic prick with a condescending attitude.

Go ahead and do 15cm; go be the greatest wheelchair model.

Also, the thing about people from the cities being "well-fed and taller" is often mentioned by Indian posters here as gospel truth, but scientific data shows height in India hasn't changed in a century, even as living standards improved. This is just height neurosis making you notice all the people taller than you and making the average higher in your head. Unless you have statistical data about the youth you're talking about to argue back with, that's just your own subjective experience of life; i.e. your anecdotal opinion.

I apologize if I came at you too strong. I'm honestly tired because this is going nowhere and people are not helping much. The last thing I need right now is for someone to tell me I can't and I shouldn't. I'm not living in India, and I'm not Indian. Read this and this, speaking truthfully most people who live in cities do have better quality of life, allowing them to grow to their full potential and there's no denying that. I can't really show you the statistics because that would give me out, but it is what it is, I have no reason to lie, even to myself. Speaking the truth, I am indeed the shortest among my friends and acquaintances.

Oh, poor you. Attempted to become a model at 165cm but couldn't.

And that is the reason why I'm dying to perform LL. People have been mocking my height my whole life.

sickofbeingshort

• Visitor
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2018, 06:32:41 PM »

Yes, either one after the other, preferably a year apart. You could do external frames for tibias and internals for femurs. Since you mentioned Dr. Paley, perhaps you've seen that he performs internal tibias and femurs in succession.

Or you can do cross-lengthening, basically lengthening one tibia and the femur on the opposite side, then repeat on the other pair (note: not recommending the doctor since I don't know much about him, but here's a page that explains the process). This method is typically executed with external frames, it's done this way so that you don't have bulky frames on both of your thighs.

Either method, you could aim for 6 cm on tibias, 7 cm on femurs. Not quite 15 cm, but it's close, and safer.
That's true, I indeed saw the link that you provided and learn that he does internal tibias and femurs in succession, that's why it gave me that idea.

But that's gonna take longer ain't it? I think it'll work for me, if it's cheaper. Anyways, cheers mate for letting me know all these, I really appreciate it.

myloginacct

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2018, 06:41:45 PM »

I apologize if I came at you too strong. I'm honestly tired because this is going nowhere and people are not helping much. The last thing I need right now is for someone to tell me I can't and I shouldn't. I'm not living in India, and I'm not Indian. Read this and this, speaking truthfully most people who live in cities do have better quality of life, allowing them to grow to their full potential and there's no denying that. I can't really show you the statistics because that would give me out, but it is what it is, I have no reason to lie, even to myself. Speaking the truth, I am indeed the shortest among my friends and acquaintances.

And that is the reason why I'm dying to perform LL. People have been mocking my height my whole life.

I apologize for my tone. It's clear you're new and don't know much yet. 15cm is considered an insane amount, as I've tried to tell you. It's in no way safe.

Nothing in LL is safe, but there are "safer" high thresholds: 4cm~5cm for tibias, 6.5cm~8cm for femurs. However, this is all about cutting your bones and slowly pulling them apart over months, then expecting a healing that will take years to fully heal, and may require additional surgeries, depending on method. 8cm femurs is basically only considered possible with with the best internal device in the world at the moment, Precice II. It'd be crazy to do 8cm femurs on a bad external device, for example. There are many other complicating factors to take into account regarding CLL. Anyway, the point is 15cm is essentially over the maximum limit if you still want to achieve your goals: a normal, bipedal life in Europe.

Okay, I'm specially sorry for this one. I didn't even you expect to apologize after your last post. I thought the model thing was just a further showing of a lack of self-awareness. The model industry is bs and extremely heightist, and it doesn't stop at height. For men, you need to be tall, have perfect shoulders and a "model face". It's not you - it's the vast majority of men, and most likely every single member here.

To try to help you further: the Information About Limb Lengthening section of the forum has many valuable threads, and reading diaries in the patients' diaries section is of utmost importance to prepare yourself and go through a successful CLL.

Remember this is the most extreme cosmetic procedure on the planet. It's banned in China. It shouldn't be taken lightly.

sickofbeingshort

• Visitor
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2018, 08:10:22 PM »

I apologize for my tone. It's clear you're new and don't know much yet. 15cm is considered an insane amount, as I've tried to tell you. It's in no way safe.

Nothing in LL is safe, but there are "safer" high thresholds: 4cm~5cm for tibias, 6.5cm~8cm for femurs. However, this is all about cutting your bones and slowly pulling them apart over months, then expecting a healing that will take years to fully heal, and may require additional surgeries, depending on method. 8cm femurs is basically only considered possible with with the best internal device in the world at the moment, Precice II. It'd be crazy to do 8cm femurs on a bad external device, for example. There are many other complicating factors to take into account regarding CLL. Anyway, the point is 15cm is essentially over the maximum limit if you still want to achieve your goals: a normal, bipedal life in Europe.
Yeah...I'm way too irresponsible towards my own body to the degree where I don't care about the dangers that are about to come. But it must feel good being a tall Asian that breaks the stereotype over there. It will definitely build my confidence for sure, which is going to help me out with a lot of things. I understand that being tall things might not turn out the way I want it to be, but I have one less thing to worry about for sure.

Okay, I'm specially sorry for this one. I didn't even you expect to apologize after your last post. I thought the model thing was just a further showing of a lack of self-awareness. The model industry is bs and extremely heightist, and it doesn't stop at height. For men, you need to be tall, have perfect shoulders and a "model face". It's not you - it's the vast majority of men, and most likely every single member here.

To try to help you further: the Information About Limb Lengthening section of the forum has many valuable threads, and reading diaries in the patients' diaries section is of utmost importance to prepare yourself and go through a successful CLL.

Remember this is the most extreme cosmetic procedure on the planet. It's banned in China. It shouldn't be taken lightly.
No you don't have to apologize, it's all on me as I was the one who was rude first. I'm usually polite and behave normally (well being an Asian you're cane to be one otherwise you don't get your bowl of rice) but when it comes to my height I just get very insecure and sensitive about it, it's a really personal topic for me, I'm really sorry. I used to model for a local apparel company once when I was a kid, they had this spring collection campaign going on and that's when my mom signed me up to be a temporary child model. I'm pretty white and fair skinned, and I don't look like the typical locals you see at here(all the Asian stereotypes don't apply to me), which really stood out from people of my race and they value white more than anything, that's why I had the upper-hand when I auditioned to model for the campaign. But things have been pretty rough now, I have to support my family but at the same time I need a flexible job so that I can support both my brother and I through university. An agent from a local model agency saw my pictures on my social media page and he emailed me to apply to become a model. Knowing that I'm not tall enough (this was last year when I was 18), I told him my height. He proceeded to apologize and told me that their min. height requirement is 180 cm. I know it's kinda contradicting like I need money but at the same time I want to perform LL (which costs around the same of my degree), but I do hope that good things will come from it.

I'm so glad we have this conversation and I actually learned more than what I thought I would have. It's really factual and comprehensive, you're very well versed about LL. Thank you.

myloginacct

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2018, 01:07:38 PM »

Yeah...I'm way too irresponsible towards my own body to the degree where I don't care about the dangers that are about to come. But it must feel good being a tall Asian that breaks the stereotype over there. It will definitely build my confidence for sure, which is going to help me out with a lot of things. I understand that being tall things might not turn out the way I want it to be, but I have one less thing to worry about for sure.
No you don't have to apologize, it's all on me as I was the one who was rude first. I'm usually polite and behave normally (well being an Asian you're cane to be one otherwise you don't get your bowl of rice) but when it comes to my height I just get very insecure and sensitive about it, it's a really personal topic for me, I'm really sorry. I used to model for a local apparel company once when I was a kid, they had this spring collection campaign going on and that's when my mom signed me up to be a temporary child model. I'm pretty white and fair skinned, and I don't look like the typical locals you see at here(all the Asian stereotypes don't apply to me), which really stood out from people of my race and they value white more than anything, that's why I had the upper-hand when I auditioned to model for the campaign. But things have been pretty rough now, I have to support my family but at the same time I need a flexible job so that I can support both my brother and I through university. An agent from a local model agency saw my pictures on my social media page and he emailed me to apply to become a model. Knowing that I'm not tall enough (this was last year when I was 18), I told him my height. He proceeded to apologize and told me that their min. height requirement is 180 cm. I know it's kinda contradicting like I need money but at the same time I want to perform LL (which costs around the same of my degree), but I do hope that good things will come from it.

I'm so glad we have this conversation and I actually learned more than what I thought I would have. It's really factual and comprehensive, you're very well versed about LL. Thank you.

Your goals are quite ambitious, to say the least, but I've gotta say I'd love to hear that some member of this forum managed to become a model for these bs companies and industries through CLL. Just spitting and cheating over their height requirements in their faces. And they'd never know. If they did end up knowing, it'd be even better. How would they even react, I wonder? They'd probably keep the model around just out of fear of bad PR.

And yeah, hearing your story I can understand you better. The child and adult model industries are completely different...

Kinda ridiculous that these companies have become this heightist even in SEA, though. I'm guessing you're from Singapore. Even Western models can make it at 179cm as long as they have good faces and bodies. I don't think most Western Models are over 190cm, either.
Pages: [1]   Go Up