Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Glucosamine and Height.  (Read 5023 times)

Zamii

Glucosamine and Height.
« on: March 09, 2018, 01:26:34 PM »

There is scientific evidence that glucosamine sulphate can make a person taller 2-4 millimetres but that was in a 4 week period.

If a person took it for a longer amount of time would they grow more? Would it make a difference if the person has open or closed growth plates?

myloginacct

Re: Glucosamine and Height.
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 05:23:43 PM »

Pretty sure it doesn't actually make you taller. It just helps straighten your back.

I'd need to look up all that I read again.

Android

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 08:14:09 PM »

You gain some height regardless of closed growth plates, since what it does is expand of your spinal cartilage. Here's the study published in 2002.

The amount gained is so small that you're better off wearing lifts. I don't find it appealing to buy a lifetime of supplements for a couple millimeters unless you're already having joint and back problems.
5'4" and 1/4" (163.2 cm) | United States | early 30s | Cross-lengthening with Dr. Solomin & Dr. Kulesh

Zamii

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 09:37:25 PM »

You gain some height regardless of closed growth plates, since what it does is expand of your spinal cartilage. Here's the study published in 2002.

The amount gained is so small that you're better off wearing lifts. I don't find it appealing to buy a lifetime of supplements for a couple millimeters unless you're already having joint and back problems.

I have heard people say that they have grown an inch or more (something like 1.25 inches) by using it long term but under a year or two. Which is what led me to make this thread, though it is all anecdotal  (other than the studies showing a few millimeters).

myloginacct

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2018, 10:53:14 PM »

Well, I'll have to get some and try it myself. I didn't believe spine stretching exercises could make any significant (>0.9cm) difference in my height, but they did. I'll have to try this one out too. I just don't believe they would because I already stretch my spine through these exercises, so it feels like the gains from glucosamine would be even smaller for me.

EricR

• Visitor
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2018, 01:00:06 PM »

Ive heard that liquid glucosamine could be more effective than pill form but seeing the prices makes it a non feasible option.

myloginacct

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2018, 02:12:25 AM »

Oh, by the way. I don't have a Nature subscription, but I read some digests by science sites of the most significant study to date regarding height and genetics.

This doesn't have much to do with the thread, but it was interesting and I thought this would be the place to share:

Many of the 697 height-related genetic variants were located near genes known to be involved in growth, but there were also plenty of surprises.

"There were some pathways that we knew were important, but had not come out in previous GWAS," says Hirschhorn, who is also an endocrinologist at Boston Children's. "Many of the genes we identified are likely to be important regulators of skeletal growth, but were not known to be involved until now. Some may also be responsible for unexplained syndromes of abnormal skeletal growth in children. As you increase the sample size, you get more biology."

For example, the mTOR gene is well known to be involved in cellular growth, but had not previously been connected with human skeletal growth. Other genes confirmed as important include genes involved in metabolism of collagen (a component of bone) and chondroitin sulfate (a component of cartilage), as well as networks of genes active in growth plates, the area of growing tissue near the ends of the long bones. Still other genes point to biology whose relationship with height isn't yet known.

myloginacct

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2018, 05:09:24 AM »

Some good information for people looking into it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glucosamine#Legal_status

MoveUp

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2018, 06:20:51 PM »

Glucosamine is great for your joints and should add a quarter inch of height as it supports your spinal cartilage therefore preventing your spine from shrinking throughout the day
"Work with what you have,  improve on what you can,  accept what you can't change."

Downey

• Visitor
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2018, 01:32:17 AM »

I used it for 3 month and gained almost an inch. Stopped using it for 7 months and now back to normal height. It was nice but not going to take this for the rest of my life just for an inch

myloginacct

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2018, 12:30:16 PM »

I used it for 3 month and gained almost an inch. Stopped using it for 7 months and now back to normal height. It was nice but not going to take this for the rest of my life just for an inch

I hope the almost an inch part is true. That'd be so convenient for me.

Downey

• Visitor
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2018, 03:52:35 PM »

It's true but like I said, went away for a while. Not sure how long it took to go back to normal but measuring after 7 months, I had shrunk

myloginacct

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2018, 10:53:40 AM »

It's true but like I said, went away for a while. Not sure how long it took to go back to normal but measuring after 7 months, I had shrunk

What was your dosage, or how many pills were you taking a day?

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2018, 10:12:33 PM »

Well, I'll have to get some and try it myself. I didn't believe spine stretching exercises could make any significant (>0.9cm) difference in my height, but they did. I'll have to try this one out too. I just don't believe they would because I already stretch my spine through these exercises, so it feels like the gains from glucosamine would be even smaller for me.

Could you give me the excercise video that you follow?

6feet2isTooShort

• IT'S OVER
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2018, 08:32:56 AM »

I don't believe that you took glucosamine for 3 months and gained an inch. Unless you did other things like straightened back. Seems unreal. What dosage and brand did you take?
banned for trolling and abuse of forum signature

Android

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2018, 05:03:35 PM »

5'4" and 1/4" (163.2 cm) | United States | early 30s | Cross-lengthening with Dr. Solomin & Dr. Kulesh
Pages: [1]   Go Up