Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Whats the chance of me ending up on a wheel chair after a failed LL?  (Read 1793 times)

In condition that I go to Paley and obey all his rules.

I mean, what if the bones don't consolidate after being broken? If orthopedic surgery can do anything, why are there people on a wheelchair for life following car accidents?

Johnson1111

Re: Whats the chance of me ending up on a wheel chair after a failed LL?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 08:33:00 PM »

From my understanding  it's mostly due to spinal injuries

Android

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2018, 09:51:33 PM »

You'll be in good hands, you'll be fine. No parent would entrust their kids with him if otherwise.
5'4" and 1/4" (163.2 cm) | United States | early 30s | Cross-lengthening with Dr. Solomin & Dr. Kulesh

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2018, 10:07:31 PM »

From my understanding  it's mostly due to spinal injuries

So you think LL won't harm us to that extent?

You'll be in good hands, you'll be fine. No parent would entrust their kids with him if otherwise.

The parents trust their kids with him because the kids are legit deformed, not for cosmetic reasons. So they have no choice but to trust him. Doesn't eliminate the risks involved.

Argent_Lecter

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2018, 10:15:35 PM »

You will be in good hands if you get surgery with Paley, I would love him to be my surgeon but I cannot afford him so I guess I'm going with Pili on 2021. There are a few diaries of patients getting messed up for going with unreliable docs, but those are -as I said- few cases.

- A. Lecter
5ft5 (1,65m) to 5ft9 (1.75-6)

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2018, 10:25:42 PM »

You will be in good hands if you get surgery with Paley, I would love him to be my surgeon but I cannot afford him so I guess I'm going with Pili on 2021. There are a few diaries of patients getting messed up for going with unreliable docs, but those are -as I said- few cases.

- A. Lecter

How old are you currently?

Not saying that I have that kind of money at the moment. But for me it's either him or not at all. At least if I get crippled, it wouldn't be for trying to save a couple of $$$. I must work hard now because time is running out.

Body Builder

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2018, 10:44:17 PM »

I mean, what if the bones don't consolidate after being broken? If orthopedic surgery can do anything, why are there people on a wheelchair for life following car accidents?
Serious nerve damage or extreme infection could lead to amputation or permanent disabilities.

Not very common with LL to that extend but still a possibility.
However, malunions, non unions and soft tissue problems (like equinus) are very common and can cause some kinetic issues.

Argent_Lecter

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2018, 11:28:28 PM »

How old are you currently?

Not saying that I have that kind of money at the moment. But for me it's either him or not at all. At least if I get crippled, it wouldn't be for trying to save a couple of $$$. I must work hard now because time is running out.

I'm 19 man, turning 20 in august so i'm planning to do LL at... 23? max. Where are you from? I'm not playing 100k for a surgery, i cannot afford it and i want it asap.

Argent_Lecter

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2018, 11:29:45 PM »

man, the amputation part scared the   out of me lol

Life

• Visitor
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2018, 12:10:41 AM »

Permanent wheelchair occurs usually after spinal injuries but some LL patients can't walk normally after nerve damage or lack of callus formation as BB said. This is a real possibility as well as amputation and death although they aren't common side effects.
Banned:  multiple accounts (notatroll, Life, amigos)
and probably the troll Datum/LLuser1

Johnson1111

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2018, 12:28:12 AM »

Permanent wheelchair occurs usually after spinal injuries but some LL patients can't walk normally after nerve damage or lack of callus formation as BB said. This is a real possibility as well as amputation and death although they aren't common side effects.

Amputation and death? I suppose from extreme infection? How would that even develop under supervision of a doctor?

myloginacct

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2018, 12:39:23 AM »

This is why you go to doctors who specialize in LL/limb reconstruction in children and adults with congenital or external causes for their limb discrepancies, misalignment cases, etc, and cosmetic LL is not their focus.

Life

• Visitor
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2018, 12:50:48 AM »

Some doctors don't monitor adequately. Patients develop compartimental syndrome and get amputation. Other patients get fat embolism and die. One case is described in Catagni's article.
Banned:  multiple accounts (notatroll, Life, amigos)
and probably the troll Datum/LLuser1

MirinHeight

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2018, 07:20:55 AM »

compartment syndrome or a serious infection can lead to amputation if not caught early.

A way to help prevent compartment syndrome is to raise the legs above the heart level post surgery to decrease the swelling.
If compartment syndrome does occur, the surgeon must do a fasciotomy. This is where the skill of the surgeon comes into play. A good surgeon will diagnose, manage and treat complications ASAP. 

Infections rarely occur. Most common infections seen are pin site infections when using external fixator. These are normal and you should treat clean pinsites daily.

A very bad internal infection can occur when using the internal nail. This is very rare, especially in the US where the nails and hospital rooms are sanitized very well before the procedure.

overall, to prevent these types of infections you want first class care with a great surgical team.
currently 179 cm with a 6'2 wingspan
Goal: 182-183
top 5 LL surgeons: Paley, Rozbruch, Mahboubian,  Donghoon Lee, Giotikas

- planning to have LON tibias with dr donghoon lee in summer 2021

MirinHeight

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2018, 07:26:47 AM »

Some doctors don't monitor adequately. Patients develop compartimental syndrome and get amputation. Other patients get fat embolism and die. One case is described in Catagni's article.

Dr. Paley has seen 4 fat embolism syndromes while doing internal femurs on normal cll patients.
Dr. Catagni's pt had achondroplasia, which can lead to an array of extra complications when doing an osteopathic procedure due to diff sizes of organs and pre-health concerns in a full grown adult.

overall, tibias are safer when it comes to fat embolism syndrome. Dr. Paley has confirmed this (he has never seen fat embolism syndrome when doing tibias). Furthermore, the external LL is safer than the internal LL due to no reaming of the bone canal, which pushes out the fat emboli.

currently 179 cm with a 6'2 wingspan
Goal: 182-183
top 5 LL surgeons: Paley, Rozbruch, Mahboubian,  Donghoon Lee, Giotikas

- planning to have LON tibias with dr donghoon lee in summer 2021

myloginacct

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2018, 11:26:04 AM »

Dr. Paley has seen 4 fat embolism syndromes while doing internal femurs on normal cll patients.
Dr. Catagni's pt had achondroplasia, which can lead to an array of extra complications when doing an osteopathic procedure due to diff sizes of organs and pre-health concerns in a full grown adult.

overall, tibias are safer when it comes to fat embolism syndrome. Dr. Paley has confirmed this (he has never seen fat embolism syndrome when doing tibias). Furthermore, the external LL is safer than the internal LL due to no reaming of the bone canal, which pushes out the fat emboli.

It should be noted, too, that Catagni's dwarf patient died due to the ATL, not the initial LL itself.

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2018, 07:39:00 AM »

Hi guys, after exploring this site more, I got confused in determining the safest possible method and doctor. Basically here's what I got.

Tibia is safer than femur.

Only use external for tibia.

Dr. Paley is the best surgeon in the world but doesn't even practice external.

So Catagni who is believed by some to be the best surgeon for external comes to mind. Or anybody else?

Price is a lot cheaper with Catagni and if it also means safer then why the heck not?

olivine

• Visitor
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2018, 12:08:58 AM »

I mean Dr. Paley does externals although I don't know about it for CLL. I'm assuming there's an assumption being made that if people care that much about their appearance they probably also care about their leg looking normal and externals leave a lot of scars. I've been told externals are more painful as well.

Android

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2018, 03:28:38 AM »

Tibia is safer than femur.

Only use external for tibia.

Dr. Paley is the best surgeon in the world but doesn't even practice external.

So Catagni who is believed by some to be the best surgeon for external comes to mind. Or anybody else?

Price is a lot cheaper with Catagni and if it also means safer then why the heck not?

I'm not quite sure if tibias is necessarily safer, but they're well tolerated with externals, and therefore cheaper. This makes it easier to recommend to those who want around 6 cm of ;lengthening. Femurs are recommended for those who want a little more lengthening, more comfort, and/or more stealth.

The drawback with Dr. Catagni and Dr. Pili is that you'll be in frames for a long time, lengthening time plus 5 to 6 months for consolidation. That's the price you pay. If you have time to spare, go for it.

I mean Dr. Paley does externals although I don't know about it for CLL. I'm assuming there's an assumption being made that if people care that much about their appearance they probably also care about their leg looking normal and externals leave a lot of scars. I've been told externals are more painful as well.

Bingo. He still uses externals, just not for CLL patients.
5'4" and 1/4" (163.2 cm) | United States | early 30s | Cross-lengthening with Dr. Solomin & Dr. Kulesh

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2018, 04:00:34 PM »

I'm not quite sure if tibias is necessarily safer, but they're well tolerated with externals, and therefore cheaper. This makes it easier to recommend to those who want around 6 cm of ;lengthening. Femurs are recommended for those who want a little more lengthening, more comfort, and/or more stealth.

The drawback with Dr. Catagni and Dr. Pili is that you'll be in frames for a long time, lengthening time plus 5 to 6 months for consolidation. That's the price you pay. If you have time to spare, go for it.

Bingo. He still uses externals, just not for CLL patients.

So which one do you think is the the safest, less long-term complications, the best athletic recovery and the most guaranteed outcome: femur with Precice by Dr. Paley or tibia with Dr. Catagni?
Pages: [1]   Go Up