Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Butterflied fractures  (Read 1458 times)

OverrideYourGenetics

• OverrideYourGenetics.com (no PMs, please email me)
Butterflied fractures
« on: May 14, 2018, 09:35:17 AM »

Below are X-rays of my tibias at different stages post implantation of the PRECICE 2.2. As you can see in the first image (zoom in if you need to), the bone break is far from a clean cut - there's a triangular bone chip. Definitely not what I expected to see.

When I asked Dr. Robbins (Paley's colleague) about this in April, he said it's actually a new bone breaking technique, designed to increase the bone surface around the break, for increased bone generation. However, this is at odds with Paley describing how to avoid butterfly in his January talk ("I guarantee that there's no butterfly").

Thoughts?

« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 10:08:50 AM by OverrideYourGenetics »
My diary. Tibias+femurs 3.75+3.75cm at the Paley Institute (5'5" -> 5'8") in my late 30s.
One of the last patients to use the PRECICE 2.2 nail. I met the first STRYDE patient and I strongly recommend the new STRYDE nail instead.

short2tall

Re: Butterflied fractures
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 04:20:51 PM »

That's very interesting. It looks like the fracture on the right side is V shaped which makes sense for surface area. I'm guessing that's what they were attempting on the left side but then that chip broke off. Hopefully by your next x-ray that chip will be fused to one side of the bone or the other.
Bilateral femurs with Dr. M on March 1st
Starting height: 5'8.5"
Shooting for 5'11"

Android

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 05:59:55 PM »

Hmm. Maybe Dr. Paley was describing how to prevent butterfly, not necessarily advocating that it's the best osteotomy method. That case was from 2012 after all, techniques and the philosophies behind them evolve over time.
5'4" and 1/4" (163.2 cm) | United States | early 30s | Cross-lengthening with Dr. Solomin & Dr. Kulesh

llendpoint

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 10:24:45 PM »

I always wonder how the bones that are not aligned will grow together. Will it look like this?

Johnson1111

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 12:40:36 AM »

I always wonder how the bones that are not aligned will grow together. Will it look like this?

Isn't there a device they use for correction? From my understanding a slight mm shift in being crooked is common place in humans and shouldn't matter as much regardless.

OverrideYourGenetics

• OverrideYourGenetics.com (no PMs, please email me)
Butterflied tibia fractures healed well
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2018, 07:53:29 AM »

Not quite.

Since the bone segments get farther and farther from each other, the ensuing gap becomes more and more "vertical" (in the typical x-ray orientation). Here's how that gap looked on June 8 (7 weeks of lengthening the tibias, 4 weeks since stopping lengthening):

My diary. Tibias+femurs 3.75+3.75cm at the Paley Institute (5'5" -> 5'8") in my late 30s.
One of the last patients to use the PRECICE 2.2 nail. I met the first STRYDE patient and I strongly recommend the new STRYDE nail instead.
Pages: [1]   Go Up