Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is there way to know my potential height ?  (Read 1001 times)

hokkaido

• Visitor
Is there way to know my potential height ?
« on: May 15, 2018, 08:38:27 PM »

I am really curious about how tall I could have grown into. My brother is around 184 cm, but I am only around 168 cm :(
Is there things I can look into to determine the amount of height I might have missed?

myloginacct

Re: Is there way to know my potential height ?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 08:40:17 PM »

How tall are your parents? Are you white or African/Asian?

hokkaido

• Visitor
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 08:46:34 PM »

I am Asian
My dad is 173 cm, my mother is 165 cm
I really lack sleeping in middle/high school days because of school

Johnson1111

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 08:57:26 PM »

I am Asian
My dad is 173 cm, my mother is 165 cm
I really lack sleeping in middle/high school days because of school

Sleeping is important but it's still mostly genetics. You release pulses of growth hormone regularly while you're awake too so it doesn't matter as much. Ask your doctor how much they think they'll be able to predict you much better.

hokkaido

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 09:08:23 PM »

What about wingspan and sitting height? Are those good indicator of what my height could've be?
I am already 21, dont think I will grow anymore. I just want to see if I fked myself with my lifestyle at a younger agr or I am just screwed from the beginning.

Android

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2018, 09:13:24 PM »

Shortest person in family is 165 cm, tallest is 184 cm, so... Your potential was most likely somewhere between 165cm and 184 cm.

Sarcastic reply aside, don't think too much about your past. You can't change it, it will only make you upset. And like Johnson said, it's mostly genetic anyway, it's a lottery (we can't pick our parents either). Even malnourished people can end up being very tall.
5'4" and 1/4" (163.2 cm) | United States | early 30s | Cross-lengthening with Dr. Solomin & Dr. Kulesh

myloginacct

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2018, 09:25:10 PM »

Your brother just lucked out a lot.

There is a formula I've seen, but it's far from perfect. The genetics of height are far from being understood.

In Asian populations, the heritability of height is much lower than 80 percent. For example, in 2004 Miao-Xin Li of Hunan Normal University in China and his colleagues estimated a height heritability of 65 percent, based on a Chinese population of 385 families. In African populations, height heritability is also lower.

[...]

Heritability allows us to examine how genetics directly impact an individual's height. For example, a population of white men has a heritability of 80 percent and an average height of 178 centimeters (roughly five feet, 10 inches). If we meet a white man in the street who is 183 cm (six feet) tall, the heritability tells us what fraction of his extra height is caused by genetic variants and what fraction is due to his environment (dietary habit and lifestyle). The man is five centimeters taller than the average. Thus, 80 percent of the extra five centimeters, or four centimeters, is due to genetic variants, whereas one centimeter is due to environmental effects, such as nutrition.

[...]

Heritability can also be used to predict an individual's height if the parents' heights are known.

So 65% of height in Asian males is due to heritability, and 35% is due to environmental factors.

Using your parents' heights:

0.35*((173-170)+(165-160))/2 = 1.4cm

So you could have only lost 1.4cm due to environmental effects.

I find the heritable height formula useless (even if it's inferable from here), so I'd just rather not post it. You deviated just a little bit from your expected height (according to that, anyway) and your brother deviated drastically from his expected height.

EDIT: removed a word from a sentence.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 09:49:24 PM by myloginacct »

hokkaido

• Visitor
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2018, 01:48:09 AM »

Interesting, but the average height for Asian male is around 173

myloginacct

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2018, 12:22:55 PM »

Interesting, but the average height for Asian male is around 173

170cm was the figure used by Dr. Chao-Qiang Lai, PhD in genetics.
Pages: [1]   Go Up