Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New published study on attractiveness of male proportions  (Read 4343 times)

BelowTheMean

New published study on attractiveness of male proportions
« on: May 19, 2018, 12:17:09 AM »

It's been a long time since I last visited this forum, but I recently saw something that made me think of LL.
Check out this research: http://rsos.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/5/5/171790

tl;dr - They showed figures of men with different proportions to heterosexual women and asked them to rate the figures.
  • Ratio of leg length to body was strongly correlated with attractiveness. The highest ratings were at ~50% of height (half a SD longer than the average.)
  • Both knee (and elbow) position were only weakly correlated with a slight preference for the average position.
  • Arm to body length (aka wingspan) didn't matter at all (no change in attractiveness for +/- 3 SD.)
What do you guys think? I'm pretty amazed by the findings on wingspan, especially with no impact to attractiveness even at -3 SD in length (~12%.) This is huge as it would mean having a ~5" shorter wingspan than average as a 5'7" guy would have no impact on attractiveness. These findings seem quite pro-LL.. hopefully none of the authors are on the NuVasive payroll lol
Stryde Femurs - Debiparshad - Nov 2020
Nail Removal - Downey - Apr 2022
Journal (169cm -> 177cm) http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=65617

Current Status: Recovered, moving on

Android

Re: New published study on attractiveness of male proportions
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2018, 01:02:46 AM »

Nice find, and thanks for the tl;dr!

I'm not too concerned about proportions in general after LL since I think the amounts we aim for are not too extreme (especially if starting with average proportions). Good to have some info on what others think about it.
5'4" and 1/4" (163.2 cm) | United States | early 30s | Cross-lengthening with Dr. Solomin & Dr. Kulesh

lemonade311

• fk genetics.
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 03:51:54 PM »

You don't even notice wingspan unless they are on the extremes.
Current: 171 cm
Goal: 178-179cm to cm

Internal femurs only using Precise Stryde at Dr. Paley institute in 2019.

myloginacc

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2018, 11:29:05 PM »

That about wingspan is really surprising.

I always thought longer arms looked better. Unless they're ridiculously long, like reaching below knee level.
Formerly myloginacct; had issues with my login account.
Yes I do want to add, before doing this surgery, ask yourself if you have optimized your life to the fullest extent possible (job/career, personality, etc).

BelowTheMean

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2020, 10:46:58 PM »

That about wingspan is really surprising.

I always thought longer arms looked better. Unless they're ridiculously long, like reaching below knee level.

I think longer arms do look better. This is more saying that short arms are not necessarily detrimental, because they have to be quite short to produce a T-Rex effect ;)

Also, arms of different lengths can vary a ton in terms of attractiveness due to muscle length, size, and insertion points as well.
Stryde Femurs - Debiparshad - Nov 2020
Nail Removal - Downey - Apr 2022
Journal (169cm -> 177cm) http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=65617

Current Status: Recovered, moving on

Siegfried

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2020, 09:20:47 AM »

Thanks for pointing this study out. Bumping this for all the people concerned about proportions after LL.
 I’m going for tibia and femur in February/ march 2021 for a total of 9-10cm soon, so this was good to read.
Unilateral Quadrilateral Lengthening 2021/22 w/ Koehne
Pre-Surgery: 1.67 m
Post-Surgery: 1.76 m
My Story: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=68285.msg221238#msg221238

Body Builder

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2020, 02:49:47 PM »

Thats why I never cared about wingspans and all these bs.
After LL (especially on bith segment) feet are going to look very disproportionate, moreover if you do more than 6.5cm on tibias, to torso.
But if you are not skinny, you are going to look better than having the same height with normal proportions.
Tall legs even for men is a big plus and make you appear even taller than you are.

And that study proved.what I always said here that wingspams, arm length and all these are meaningless and only for weirdos and the body looks really good after LL although legs are disproportionately long most of the times.

Kal el

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2020, 03:21:33 PM »

Hey guys i really want ur opinion on whether i would look too weird being 181 or will it be ok....i am the one on the extreme right side i am 171 naturally...but in this pic i am like 174 with shoes and lifts..the tallest one among this group is the 4th one frm right side at 175 probably naturally.....shortest one here is 167....i have also marked the point where my hands end with a red line on my gloves....so tell me ur opinion guys..do u think i can pull off 181 without looking like slenderman and short arms or will i be ok but a bit disproportionate..and i mean to reach 181 with two surgeries 6+4 femur/tibia and my wingspan is 178 and but my problem is my long inseam 80cm...i am very skinny though..btw will my inseam shrink if i gain weight....tell me ur opinion guys..ty..http://imgur.com/gallery/TGLe2eX

Kal el

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2020, 01:56:10 PM »

Some one plz reply

Blaze237

• Visitor
  • current height: 1m79-80 goal height 1m85-88
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2021, 04:46:13 AM »

hard to tell but probably not .... you wont look weird ....
I am 1m80 and I am aiming for 1m85-88 ... There is rarely someone who looks bad after LL tbh its all just a mind thing

RealLostSoul

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2021, 06:13:58 AM »

Do you mean in gorillas? Even people with super high wingspans don‘t reach knee level while standing straight.

I am surprised about this too. I thought that everything was irrelevant since it can vary more (like sitting height bs, shoe size big bs) except for wingspan. I thought arm length would be the only thing that could potentially point out you had this done since very rarely someone has like -4 inches wingspan (in reality you probably don‘t notice it though).

DonBones

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2021, 07:22:20 AM »

Do you mean in gorillas? Even people with super high wingspans don‘t reach knee level while standing straight.

I am surprised about this too. I thought that everything was irrelevant since it can vary more (like sitting height bs, shoe size big bs) except for wingspan. I thought arm length would be the only thing that could potentially point out you had this done since very rarely someone has like -4 inches wingspan (in reality you probably don‘t notice it though).

People noticed it with this guy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocky_Marciano

But yeah, it takes a 49 winning streak for people to wonder how that can be done with relatively short arms. Yet I don't think anyone suspected he did LL :D
First Surgery - Prof Betz - 28th July 2021 🇩🇪
Nail Removal - Dr Becker - 13th December 2023 🇩🇪
Lengthened: 5.00cm
Height: 180cm
Current Phase: Post Nail-Removal Adaptation

RealLostSoul

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2021, 10:04:44 AM »

People noticed it with this guy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocky_Marciano

But yeah, it takes a 49 winning streak for people to wonder how that can be done with relatively short arms. Yet I don't think anyone suspected he did LL :D

I googled said guy and looked at many pictures of him and I could have never seen anything and I look closely at arm length. Maybe they noticed it because for this absurd (no offense to anyone) sport you measure things like height weight and wingspan and showcase it.
Real talk, I know people won‘t like hearing this but Apo after 20cm lengthening only looked a bit odd in terms of arm length (before he got AL), only if you look closely and you are told he did LL you can see that his hands are a bit too high up. But after his AL he looks normal and good, if you see his Instagram shahnhulk and don‘t know who this is you will never think anything looks off. (I showed multiple friends his IG page, no one noticed anything)

Future Skycraper

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2021, 11:55:00 AM »

You need mock ups, try doing one or asking someone

short_in_germany

• Visitor
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2021, 09:02:51 PM »

To add to that, I am 167cm and I have a buddy who is 185cm. We both have the same shoe size (41) same hand size (although mine are quite small), same torso length and also same arm length!!! The only thing different are our legs! We are both Germans. On the other hand, I also have a buddy who is 188cm and his legs are only like 5cm longer than mine, so his torso is just way longer than mine, same hand size, different shoe size (45) and also longer arms I believe. Proportions can vary a lot naturally and people here shouldn't be too worried about them unless going for 14cm+ I guess.
current 167cm | goal 176cm

DonBones

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2021, 09:12:04 PM »

I googled said guy and looked at many pictures of him and I could have never seen anything and I look closely at arm length. Maybe they noticed it because for this absurd (no offense to anyone) sport you measure things like height weight and wingspan and showcase it.
Real talk, I know people won‘t like hearing this but Apo after 20cm lengthening only looked a bit odd in terms of arm length (before he got AL), only if you look closely and you are told he did LL you can see that his hands are a bit too high up. But after his AL he looks normal and good, if you see his Instagram shahnhulk and don‘t know who this is you will never think anything looks off. (I showed multiple friends his IG page, no one noticed anything)

I just looked him up.. there is no way that guy did 20cm lengthening :D He looks like he's always been that tall.
First Surgery - Prof Betz - 28th July 2021 🇩🇪
Nail Removal - Dr Becker - 13th December 2023 🇩🇪
Lengthened: 5.00cm
Height: 180cm
Current Phase: Post Nail-Removal Adaptation

RealLostSoul

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2021, 09:45:23 PM »

I just looked him up.. there is no way that guy did 20cm lengthening :D He looks like he's always been that tall.

He did 20cm LL go on the old forum look up his diary. He is universally hated bc he had business deals with bad butchers etc but ngl his LL was a success (except for athletic ability which can be doubted after that amount.)

Canon

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2021, 10:01:58 PM »

To add to that, I am 167cm and I have a buddy who is 185cm. We both have the same shoe size (41) same hand size (although mine are quite small), same torso length and also same arm length!!! The only thing different are our legs! We are both Germans. On the other hand, I also have a buddy who is 188cm and his legs are only like 5cm longer than mine, so his torso is just way longer than mine, same hand size, different shoe size (45) and also longer arms I believe. Proportions can vary a lot naturally and people here shouldn't be too worried about them unless going for 14cm+ I guess.

Strange I am 184 and have shoe size 46 and huge hands. Sometimes I can't understand why I am not over 190.

Thorfinnn

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2021, 10:49:57 PM »

Strange I am 184 and have shoe size 46 and huge hands. Sometimes I can't understand why I am not over 190.
Its mostly your genetics I am size 46 shoe and 22 cm hands and I'm only 5'8. Genetics can be weird sometimes

a

• 5'9
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2021, 10:23:52 PM »

The link leads to the BEST re-search I've ever seen, proportion wise.

Arm length, femur torso ratio etc. It answered most of my questions regarding to proportions!
height: 174-5 at night
wingspan: 180+

Worzezterlire

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2021, 10:49:41 PM »

He did 20cm LL go on the old forum look up his diary. He is universally hated bc he had business deals with bad butchers etc but ngl his LL was a success (except for athletic ability which can be doubted after that amount.)

Also note that he ostensibly had humerus lengthening, and he is very strategic in how he dresses to hide his torso.

That said, I see nothing wrong with dressing to hide bad proportions, more normies should be doing that in the first place already.  Men with narrow shoulders should dress in a way that makes them look wider, fat men should wear well tailored clothes that hide fat distribution, people with younger faces should dress in older styles in the workplace, etc.  it’s less deception to me than it is a proper use of fashion.  Apotheosis lengthened too much but he still looks fine.  AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, he is much happier.  I too would rather have lanky proportions and be tall than short (he started 3 inches shorter than me) and well proportioned.  I get why people hate him, but he genuinely seems like he had a successful, if not slightly overdone, operation.

spark

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2021, 03:37:49 AM »

Damn confirms my irl observations, thankyou for this. On the verge of doing it cause il have negative ape index but il just get jacked.

BetzLandLiberator

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2021, 09:21:31 PM »

It's been a long time since I last visited this forum, but I recently saw something that made me think of LL.
Check out this research: http://rsos.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/5/5/171790

tl;dr - They showed figures of men with different proportions to heterosxxual women and asked them to rate the figures.
  • Ratio of leg length to body was strongly correlated with attractiveness. The highest ratings were at ~50% of height (half a SD longer than the average.)
  • Both knee (and elbow) position were only weakly correlated with a slight preference for the average position.
  • Arm to body length (aka wingspan) didn't matter at all (no change in attractiveness for +/- 3 SD.)
What do you guys think? I'm pretty amazed by the findings on wingspan, especially with no impact to attractiveness even at -3 SD in length (~12%.) This is huge as it would mean having a ~5" shorter wingspan than average as a 5'7" guy would have no impact on attractiveness. These findings seem quite pro-LL.. hopefully none of the authors are on the NuVasive payroll lol

Not surprising at all. No one can actually notice a short wingspan unless is VERY extreme.
People here obsess about this   for no reason.

Thorfinnn

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2021, 10:51:51 PM »

Not surprising at all. No one can actually notice a short wingspan unless is VERY extreme.
People here obsess about this   for no reason.

I agree we all shouldn’t be super worried about proportions. I would rather be 3 inches taller with not the best proportions then stay at my current height.
Pages: [1]   Go Up