Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Dr Dror Paley (Florida, USA) Paley Advanced Limb Lengthening Institute  (Read 100173 times)

tlannister

Re: Dr Dror Paley (Florida, USA) Paley Advanced Limb Lengthening Institute
« Reply #124 on: August 09, 2018, 08:45:20 AM »

The Jamal mail is fully weight bearing too.  Paley seems to be doing ok, definitely has the best exposure and marketing.
And yes, doctor will visit you daily here, do all your clicking, give you pills and jabs if you're in more pain than usual, physio etc. Definitely a more personalised experience.
Have a look at my gym videos I just posted.

can you please stop shilling your doctor, we get it you receive 7% of every referral but stop polluting other threads with this. I can see an obvious pattern, you have done it in other threads too.
Next time I see it, I report to mod

taller_in_Kiev

• Put your energy to good uses. Don't waste it.
« Reply #125 on: August 09, 2018, 11:23:10 AM »

@tlannister, please! You were very quick to pollute my thread with your nonsense comments and this isn't even your thread.
7% lol, are you on some type of hallucinogens? As you appear so certain quoting an exact figure, please provide some evidence to back up your claim or else put a sock in it!  You are falling flat on your face each time.  Even if the doctor offers me some bonus for each referral, I do not actually need it. I am financially secure.  I am here to educate, encourage and mentor. LL seems a distant dream for many as it was for me for many years until I was able to afford it.  Paley and US doctors seem to charge an extortionate amount. It can be a huge burden on those paying out of their own pockets. Many look abroad for cheaper options but there are pitfalls everywhere. Yes, I am saying if you are going to go abroad, Kiev and Dr Jamal, who trained with the best, Dr Dragan RIP, is the place to get your LL done. But everyone is free to make their own decisions and that's why forums like this exist.

Any more from you and you'll be the one getting reported to mods.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 12:45:29 PM by taller_in_Kiev »

tlannister

« Reply #126 on: August 09, 2018, 11:45:52 AM »

@tlannister you are totally totally pathetic!  You were very quick to pollute my thread with your bs comments and this isn't even your thread.
7% lol, are you on some type of hallucinogens? As you appear so certain quoting an exact figure, please provide some evidence to back up your claim or else put a sock in it!  You are falling flat on your face each time.  Even if the doctor offers me some bonus for each referral, I do not actually need it. I am financially secure.  I am here to educate, encourage and mentor. LL seems a distant dream for many as it was for me for many years until I was able to afford it.  Paley and US doctors seem to charge an extortionate amount. It can be a huge burden on those paying out of their own pockets. Many look abroad for cheaper options but there are pitfalls everywhere. Yes, I am saying if you are going to go abroad, Kiev and Dr Jamal, who trained with the best, Dr Dragan RIP, is the place to get your LL done. But everyone is free to make their own decisions and that's why forums like this exist.

Any more from you and you'll be the one getting reported to mods.

Do you see Sweden write posts like:
"I am finally able to kickboxing at the higest level, knee pain is still there but manegable.. I did surgery in India with Dr. Sarin. Here is a link to him."

or Purushrottam:
"I am 100% recovered. I can walkj, i can run, i play soccer.. i did it in USA, FLorida, Baltimore *wink wink* "

No, you dont!

why are you putting words in my mouth? to gain sympathy from readers?
I never said you shouldn't "mentor" or share your LL experience. Just stop mentioning "Kiev" "Dr. Jamal" "Ukraine" when nobody has asked for it. It sticks out like a sore thumb in some of the posts you have made.

And I do happen to agree that we need more competition, the prices of US surgeons are extortionate in my opinion. But we need proper competition from surgeons who provide the safety and quality of service as the US surgeons. And believe me the doctor you're advertising for, which I wont mention by name, is not what I consider equal. I was a member on the old forum and there were diaries of this doctor there too.... trust me. I would rather stay at home short than going to Kiev, India, Vietnam etc.

taller_in_Kiev

« Reply #127 on: August 09, 2018, 12:33:39 PM »

Sorry but now you've totally lost me..

It may appear I am promoting for Kiev and Dr J, but as I've said previously, he is merely a good friend who doesn't have any fancy marketing behind him unlike his US counterparts. He helped me achieve a lifetime dream and I think it's only fair that others see what's possible with foreign doctors. US doctors are not the gods some make them out to be and certainly no better than their foreign counterparts as with many other fields. In fact, I pity the whole american medical/healthcare system, with the corrupt FDA and pill pushing big pharma mafia.

In my opinion, Dr Dragan was the best in the world, see link to his bio below, and Jamal trained with him until he sadly passed away in 2011.

http://www.correction.kiev.ua/bonamed/dragan.htm

I was also a member of the old forum and that was well over a decade ago.  The patients you refer to were old, lazy or both.  I cannot stress enough that the doctor will operate and break your bones, but growing, healing and recovery is up to the patient. You should definitely stay at home than risk going to Kiev, but please don't put Kiev in the same category as India or Vietnam.

doomsday

« Reply #128 on: August 09, 2018, 03:28:56 PM »

STOP advertising that doctor from a war torn Ukraine and his obsolete nail....

notatroll

« Reply #129 on: August 09, 2018, 03:37:26 PM »

The guy is posting useful information. We don't know if he is a promoter but at least he posts useful things and give hope to people like me. Real promoters are elsewhere. Cinderella for example.

taller_in_Kiev

« Reply #130 on: August 09, 2018, 03:57:11 PM »

doomsday, the 'obsolete nail' provided for probably the best LL results in the world (me not being the only one).  I challenge anyone to come forward and prove me wrong. Strength, endurance, athletic ability, anything you want, bring it on. You know absolutely nothing about this doctor's nail and you are not in a position to criticise. So there, I've laid down the gauntlet, either put up or shut up.

Oh and the war was mostly in the east and long over, thanks.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 05:02:25 PM by taller_in_Kiev »

doomsday

« Reply #131 on: August 10, 2018, 12:43:08 AM »

There is absolutely no track record of that nail. The only person that uses it and recommends it is Dr. Jamal. He cannot be reliable source of information since he makes money of it.
There were very few patients  with this nail and some of them had problem with non-union. Not only that the old forum was very suspicious about his diaries that sounded like straight out promotion. Now we have you. Some dude out of nowhere, after 12 years decided to convince us that a nail from a sh*thole like Ukraine is superior to western devices where a patient can sue a doctor for millions. Plus the price of $470000  that can get you Precice 2 in Greece from a doc that work for NHS. Get lost loser. Your promotion will not work here.

taller_in_Kiev

« Reply #132 on: August 10, 2018, 06:22:11 AM »

There is absolutely no track record of that nail.
Oh but there is. I for one and Rocky who is just finishing his lengthening phase.  Not every patient posts on forums. The doctor can put you in touch with other patients if so desired.

The only person that uses it and recommends it is Dr. Jamal
That's because the intellectual property/patents belong to him. It's his trade secret. No other doctor can use it. As I've stated elsewhere, Dr Jamal was offered the Precise nail but declined.  Jamal offers the IOS of the nail world. If you want IOS, you must go Apple. With Android on the other hand, there are a ton of manufacturers to chose from.

He cannot be reliable source of information since he makes money of it.
LMFAO, he makes money out of it?! Every other doctor does it for free/charity?!

There were very few patients  with this nail and some of them had problem with non-union.
You are now contradicting yourself by admitting the nail has a track record, albeit a bad one, but much like everything you write, it's total bullcr@ap. You cannot substantiate your claims. Bad results can be down to patient more than doctor. Regardless, no doctor will have a flawless record.

Some dude out of nowhere, after 12 years decided to convince us that a nail from a sh*thole like Ukraine is superior to western devices
My result speaks for itself.  I challenge ANY LL patient of any doctor's with any nail to come forward and claim better - including you. Reading your posts, you've had LL, so why not post some photos and a vid at least showing your running? Or is it because you can't run or you run like a gimp? And what sh*thole are you from may I ask?

where a patient can sue a doctor for millions
Perhaps this is your real motivation for wanting LL in the west. Lowlife!

Plus the price of $470000  that can get you Precice 2 in Greece from a doc that work for NHS.
Lol, that would surpass Paley's pricing. Price is $47k, not "$470,000", but it's not aimed at cheapskate losers like you. LL is for successful, well educated, well travelled intelligent people who are just missing a few cm.   

Get lost loser
Why don't you come and say this to my face? I've been man enough to publish my pics and videos for all to see. Come on, don't be hiding behind some anonymous forum name.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 08:22:21 AM by taller_in_Kiev »

OverrideYourGenetics

• OverrideYourGenetics.com (no PMs, please email me)
Re: Dr Dror Paley 300k $ ?
« Reply #133 on: August 11, 2018, 04:56:36 AM »

Hey man, I appreciate the research, but I think the prices are way off.

Indeed. The largest cost increase you've factored in is complications. Sure, you never know, but I haven't heard of any Paley patients who had to pay for fixing complications. I met two patients who did have complications and Paley treated them for free.

I had my LL in Sept 2017 and heres what I paid:

[...]

Accomodations: I booked a handicapped accessible room with shuttles to the Paley Center last minute during the busiest season at Homewood Suites. The cost was about $90/night inclusive of taxes.

September is not the busiest season. That would be Nov - March/April. I booked March through June, and March/April prices were a lot higher, around $200/night. From March 11 to March 19 I was charged $1951.68 (!). At some point in April, the prices dropped closer to the $90/night Puru mentioned. I don't have exact prices because Homewood's bill was confusing AF, changing rates every 2 days or so.

Anyway, if you do STRYDE (which you should), I don't recommend staying at Homewood for more than two weeks or so, until you can use crutches. Then, get an Airbnb near a gym and use Uber. The reason is that with STRYDE, you'll be able to walk, so you don't need a pool. For me, pool PT was far less effective than walking (not hopping) with a walker, and later with a cane. You'll benefit most from a gym where you can work your upper body and prevent muscle atrophy in your chest and arms. I stayed at Homewood, which does not have a wheelchair accessible gym, nor much equipment beside one bench, and lost ~20% of my bench press 1RM due to not working out for ~3 months.

All in all, it's good to have a quarter mil for doing quadrilateral, but if you don't have complications, you'll be left with about $30k of that $250.

Also, I would absolutely not pay for extra PT (unless you have some particular problem I supposed). It's ridiculously expensive and surprisingly ineffective compared to rest and plain walking using the walker. While still getting PT from Mike (Paley Institute's strongest PT) I was making little progress. A couple weeks after I got home and started walking (not hopping!) with the walker, strength started to come back much more quickly, my dorsiflexion improved rapidly, and now (2 months later) I can walk unassisted (albeit with the expected hip sway). In retrospect, walking was by far the most effective PT, and often I would wake up feeling better and stronger without killing myself in the gym (on the contrary, too much biking led to extra pain the next day), as long as I got decent sleep.

Also, I don't know about this Dr. Jamal. And that says a lot. If you want safety, go with a center that does a high number of these surgeries, and with the most experience surgeon you can find. Is that Dr. Jamal with this proprietary nail that very few people have heard of? Popularity may be a weak criterion in general, but in the case of surgeries, the more experience the doctor has with a particular tool, the safer you'll be.
My diary. Tibias+femurs 3.75+3.75cm at the Paley Institute (5'5" -> 5'8") in my late 30s.
One of the last patients to use the PRECICE 2.2 nail. I met the first STRYDE patient and I strongly recommend the new STRYDE nail instead.

Messenger

« Reply #134 on: August 11, 2018, 06:04:04 AM »

Thanks for the info.
Yeah I read your coats and I get I’m being cautious with the 25k in reserve but I just want to be secure 100%.

I feel like the air BNB is going to be the  best route now, I’ll ddcintely try and find one near a gym.  I’m hoping paley thinks my timeline of being able to walk without sway within 4.5 months of surgery is do-able using Stryde.  The length of time it takes me to walk properly is going to dictate my costs ALOT since I’m not going back home until I can walk without sway.  So my new cost breakdown was:

$97,500 (internal femur with Stryde) - legnthening time of 55 days (5.5 cm).
$4,000.00 (caretaker for 2 weeks) - 16 hours x $18/hour x 14 days (don’t know if I’ll need her for that long, but we’ll see.  I just need to go through the experience and play it by ear).
$6,000.00 - (air BNB for 4 months - $1500/month) - this could be just for 3 months but again it’s all based on how well I recover and if I can walk without sway.  I’m going to be relentless with my PT and exercising.
$1800 - (food) - $15/day x 120 days
$1500 - (miscellaneous) - maybe the last month going out, universal studios etc possibility or just have this as an emergency for extra money).  I don’t plan on doing any extra PT etc.
————————————-
$110,800 USD total.  (Not including $25k reserve for complication)

I’ve gotten an opinion on this already, but if you guys see anything wrong with this or a way where I can cut some corners possibly, let me know please :)
(The gym membership can be included in the miscellaneous along with Uber rides).

Leggs

« Reply #135 on: August 16, 2018, 05:03:38 PM »

Dr. Paley has now offciially stopped using PRECICE 2.2 in cosmetic patients and exclusively uses STRYDE. The only exception is in patients whose bone canal is too small for the 10mm version of STRYDE. This is a rare occurance and usually only applies to small girls/women.

For more extensive information about STRYDE from Dr. Paley click here:  http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=5507.msg93315#msg93315

Hamiltonzac

« Reply #136 on: October 22, 2018, 08:59:35 PM »

Taller in Kiev, posted X rays, Posted pictures (including ones with scars), and videos( several of them). Do you all want to know why barely anyone does this? because when they do, fools like yourself come along and talk out of their @ss. He is not promoting his doctor, he is simply showing us how the people who have a financial disadvantage can go and get LL done in a less expensive country. Buddy, the Americans learned LL from the East and not vice versa. And then to make matters even more pathetic you start calling Ukraine a dump cause you have nothing else to say. Your ignorance and lack of argument is beyond amusing. And FYI only like 10-30% of LLers post on this forum, there are many more who lengthen and recover without even ever finding out about this forum. Taller in Kiev gave up his time to write on this forum and by far with the most evidence and you give him this Bollocks? Suck up your pathetic pride and leave the forum.

Leggs

« Reply #137 on: January 23, 2019, 01:43:44 PM »

wannagrowtaller

« Reply #138 on: January 30, 2019, 10:29:01 AM »

What are the current prices of Doctor Paley. I think the thread is out of date.
Go for it

Astronomy

« Reply #139 on: March 30, 2019, 02:54:22 PM »

What are the current prices of Doctor Paley. I think the thread is out of date.
Its the same,I,checked out.

Astronomy

« Reply #140 on: April 03, 2019, 12:00:11 AM »

Was his email invalid??I tried to contact him by email shown in this thread but Paley turned a blind eye to me :-\

wannagrowtaller

« Reply #141 on: April 03, 2019, 06:47:43 PM »

Try this e-mail: akeller@paleyinstitute.org
Go for it

ProjectBeanstock

• Visitor
Consultation Scheduled with Dr. Paley
« Reply #142 on: July 05, 2019, 11:22:46 PM »

Got a consultation scheduled and paid for later this month, one email said the "EOS and Lab Fees" were $500 and then another said the consultation with Dr Paley the next day is $750. Seems a bit pricey for a consultation but to my understanding he's the best in the business and should be worth the money, does this sound right? Of course I'm talking with the secretaries but feel like it's good to ask unbiased sources too. Thanks!

Also going into it, what questions/concerns would be good to ask in order to make the most of my time and money during the visit? Here's what I have so far that I haven't been able to find in much detail on the forums and information pamphlets:

-shortest possible timeline to 100% functionality for folks that do everything right (I know that depends on a lot)
-activities with stryde (swimming?)
-places to live nearby
-Medications used and concerns about them (cost and side effects)
-getting an FAA medical certificate after surgery (this is a requirement to work as a professional pilot)

Found the answer to a couple of my questions from reading this extensive information pamphlet:

http://paleyinstitute.org/wp-content/uploads/Cosmetic-Stature-Lengthening-FAQs16-1.pdf

No the consultation fee isn't included in the total costs listed, doesn't say how much it's supposed to cost in the pamphlet and the way it reads, it sounds like they used to do both the EOS and the interview in the same day.

Looks like you can get financing on your own but there's a 10-grand deposit for the surgery and it can only be booked 2 months in advance with the deposit required at the booking and the rest due two days prior to surgery.

There's also some info on how to stretch and some do's and don'ts to best prepare. The timelines seem vague and I'd like to know more specifics about nutrition and lifestyle.

Starting to look like I'm gonna see about just getting tibia or femurs depending on which seem relatively shorter and what Dr Paley recommends etc. From the .78-.82 tibia-femur ratio given I think I may be a perfect candidate for the 5cm tibia only option (based on my rough measurements with a tape measure), I'll have to wait and see. I initially wanted the full 10cm simultaneous operation but 197-grand up front is a bit much right now.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 02:39:20 AM by ProjectBeanstock »

ProjectBeanstock

• Visitor
« Reply #143 on: July 06, 2019, 02:59:23 AM »

^meant to say femur only option, but again I'll have to wait.

ProjectBeanstock

• Visitor
« Reply #144 on: August 01, 2019, 09:15:52 PM »

Just did my consultation with Dr. Paley today. The experience was very informative and helpful and here's what I got out of it:

The consultation is totally worth it and will give you a much better feeling of what to expect and what life is going to be like. It will also give you your exact measurements/health status and therefore an idea of how well suited you are for various options. The staff was very frank, down to earth and helpful. They didn't try to sell the procedure nor discourage something I wanted. The overall vibe was that Femur only procedures are the simplest and safest, best bang-for-buck and require the lightest therapy but no matter what it's a huge process and they are strict about their protocol. They added that they don't give any guarantee about length gained, but rather progressive goals that are updated throughout the process. From their experience, the exact ratios don't really effect the overall appearance or functionality much at all, and that overall health, timeline, and budget should take priority in making a decision.

The weight bearing and reliability of Stryde is a total game changer, making the recovery process much better . The physical therapy area was legit and the staff knew what they were talking about. I got a 100% safe vibe from the place and would have no problem trusting my heath to them.

For me, my blood and bone health looked great, my flexibility tests turned out about average overall with a bit above average in the Achilles (thank god), good for either tibial, femur, or both and I have about the following measurements and ratios: 34.5cm Tibia, 44cm Fibia ~.784t/f = tibia low end of the normal ratio. 171cm total height of which almost exactly 50% is leg so low end of normal range. These are some example options:

5cm T/5cm F = .81t/f, ~52.5% l/h, 181cm/5'11.25"

6cm F only= .69t/f, ~51.7% l/h, 177cm/5'9.69"

5cm T only= .9t/f, ~51.1% l/h, 176cm/5'9.29"

All in all very reassuring to hear that I don't have any major issues. It was good to feel the reality of it to see if it is really something worth doing and how it should be done.

CodyTheDog

« Reply #145 on: October 16, 2019, 09:35:56 PM »

Just did my consultation with Dr. Paley today. The experience was very informative and helpful and here's what I got out of it:

The consultation is totally worth it and will give you a much better feeling of what to expect and what life is going to be like. It will also give you your exact measurements/health status and therefore an idea of how well suited you are for various options. The staff was very frank, down to earth and helpful. They didn't try to sell the procedure nor discourage something I wanted. The overall vibe was that Femur only procedures are the simplest and safest, best bang-for-buck and require the lightest therapy but no matter what it's a huge process and they are strict about their protocol. They added that they don't give any guarantee about length gained, but rather progressive goals that are updated throughout the process. From their experience, the exact ratios don't really effect the overall appearance or functionality much at all, and that overall health, timeline, and budget should take priority in making a decision.

The weight bearing and reliability of Stryde is a total game changer, making the recovery process much better . The physical therapy area was legit and the staff knew what they were talking about. I got a 100% safe vibe from the place and would have no problem trusting my heath to them.

For me, my blood and bone health looked great, my flexibility tests turned out about average overall with a bit above average in the Achilles (thank god), good for either tibial, femur, or both and I have about the following measurements and ratios: 34.5cm Tibia, 44cm Fibia ~.784t/f = tibia low end of the normal ratio. 171cm total height of which almost exactly 50% is leg so low end of normal range. These are some example options:

5cm T/5cm F = .81t/f, ~52.5% l/h, 181cm/5'11.25"

6cm F only= .69t/f, ~51.7% l/h, 177cm/5'9.69"

5cm T only= .9t/f, ~51.1% l/h, 176cm/5'9.29"

All in all very reassuring to hear that I don't have any major issues. It was good to feel the reality of it to see if it is really something worth doing and how it should be done.

Did he require a psychological evaluation? One thing I'm wondering about is if a patient does femur (and achieves a decent height) and then maybe 10 years later does tibias.

I imagine such a patient would be questioned about his motivations to do another leg lengthening after achieving a decent height. It'd be for proportions/biomechanics though.

Though I'm getting vibes that even having a really long femur doesn't mess up your biomechanics? It still seems like having more even femurs/tibias could help with biomechanics.

awatim

• Visitor
« Reply #146 on: January 20, 2020, 12:00:12 PM »

http://paleyeurope.com/en/contact/
Paley Institute has an office in Europe; is it also for LL procedure?

FormerKidd

« Reply #147 on: January 20, 2020, 12:26:16 PM »

There's a page on the site that lists what they treat;  I don't see that listed.

harris88

• Visitor
« Reply #148 on: January 20, 2020, 12:53:53 PM »

I don't think they will provide the same amount and quality of care as in Florida. Even patients in Florida must feel worried if Paley is going to be flying around the world all year for surgeries (while being away from patients in West pam beach)

TemakiSushi

« Reply #149 on: January 20, 2020, 12:56:58 PM »

Indeed they do surgeries in Europe ;)
Plan to have Stryde TIBIAS surgery with Donghoon
Welcome any NEGATIVE information of Donghoon
Any doctor with more than 5% complication rate is NOT acceptable

harris88

• Visitor
« Reply #150 on: January 20, 2020, 01:16:07 PM »

Guys I had a consultation in WPB and spoke with Angelique about many of my questions. I think they painted a very optimistic picture of everything. I want to ask other Paley patients about their opinions on my questions:

1- Do you get to meet Paley during every checkup? Or is it Robbins? Or can it be someone else sometimes?

2- how long (time) does Paley spend per checkup? What about other docs if he is not there?

3- how helpful are Paley staff with logistics of LL? I want to know about:

a. transportation: how do you get to your hotel after discharge with all your stuff?

b. non LL medical care: can you go to St Marys for any problems other than LL related? WPB is a rather empty chilled out 'vacation' place and I hardly saw any hospitals there. what would you do if you had some other health issue? I will be doing this 100% alone and I am entirely on my own.

c. would Paley staff directly help you out in non LL related health matters generally? I have also been in touch with Dr. Debiparsad's office and they have been very generous in their replies and reassuring me I will not be abandoned. Whereas Paley's office is quite terse in their communication (in person they were very warm though)

d. care takers dont seem to spend the night with you. Is it always the case? has anyone had experience hiring a caretaker 24x7 ?

e. can you trust caretakers with your belongings / cash / credit cards?

4- how much does reosteotomy cost? I think preconsolidation is really the only possible complication I might face at a center like Paley's so I want to know what is a realistic amount to keep aside.

5- Is homewood suites the most comfortable hotel to be in for this? Do they help with room deliveries? are they generally kind and compassionate towards handicapped people? I think I am going to descend to a very low point whilst doing this and warm people around me would be godsend

6- do  patients in homewood suites to help each other out (like a community)? I did visit the hotel and saw one guy in crutches and one in a wheelchair. They however avoided eye contact and seemed to not be interested in a dialogue (I totally understand this though). I'm not sure what amount of social life to expect whilst there :)

I really hope to read some experiences on this guys!

Thank you!

TheAlchemist

« Reply #151 on: January 20, 2020, 02:23:05 PM »

Guys I had a consultation in WPB and spoke with Angelique about many of my questions. I think they painted a very optimistic picture of everything. I want to ask other Paley patients about their opinions on my questions:

1- Do you get to meet Paley during every checkup? Or is it Robbins? Or can it be someone else sometimes?

2- how long (time) does Paley spend per checkup? What about other docs if he is not there?

3- how helpful are Paley staff with logistics of LL? I want to know about:

a. transportation: how do you get to your hotel after discharge with all your stuff?

b. non LL medical care: can you go to St Marys for any problems other than LL related? WPB is a rather empty chilled out 'vacation' place and I hardly saw any hospitals there. what would you do if you had some other health issue? I will be doing this 100% alone and I am entirely on my own.

c. would Paley staff directly help you out in non LL related health matters generally? I have also been in touch with Dr. Debiparsad's office and they have been very generous in their replies and reassuring me I will not be abandoned. Whereas Paley's office is quite terse in their communication (in person they were very warm though)

d. care takers dont seem to spend the night with you. Is it always the case? has anyone had experience hiring a caretaker 24x7 ?

e. can you trust caretakers with your belongings / cash / credit cards?

4- how much does reosteotomy cost? I think preconsolidation is really the only possible complication I might face at a center like Paley's so I want to know what is a realistic amount to keep aside.

5- Is homewood suites the most comfortable hotel to be in for this? Do they help with room deliveries? are they generally kind and compassionate towards handicapped people? I think I am going to descend to a very low point whilst doing this and warm people around me would be godsend

6- do  patients in homewood suites to help each other out (like a community)? I did visit the hotel and saw one guy in crutches and one in a wheelchair. They however avoided eye contact and seemed to not be interested in a dialogue (I totally understand this though). I'm not sure what amount of social life to expect whilst there :)

I really hope to read some experiences on this guys!

Thank you!

I did Bilateral Stryde femurs (8 CM) with Paley in Sep 2019.

1. Every checkup I had post op was with Dr. Robbins. Paley doesn't really get too involved in patient care post op and leaves that to the other doctors. I found that Dr. Robbins was knowledgable and sufficed for all my needs. Paley is reachable through an online patient portal if you need him.

2. Depends on how you're doing. Can range anywhere from 5 min if everything is textbook clean or 30 min if there are issues. Overall my experience was textbook so I averaged about 5 or 10 min. The doctors are very busy - CLL patients are just a fraction of their clinic.

3.a. Arranging for discharge from hospital to hotel is the patients responsibility. The nurses and staff assisted in carrying me out but I needed to hire a caretaker to handle the majority of it.

3.b. Yes, thankfully I didn't need to but I saw other CLL patients have other non CLL health issues come up and they were able to get them addressed at St. Mary's.

3.c. Paley and his staff stay focused on CLL. I'd imagine if you had a non CLL issue come up they'd refer you to another doctor. They'd weigh in on the issue from a CLL perspective (i.e. any interrelated dependencies) but they won't act like your general doctor I'd assume for liability reasons.

3.d. Caretakers can spend the night with you and typically charge on an hourly basis. I worked with the agency Nightinggale, my experience witgh them was so- so, but for the first 4 days after hospital release I had them 24/7 watching over me.

3.e. This depends on the caretaker. I had no issues with mine but I would still be cautious and store all valuables in a secure place. Speak to the agency and ask if they can provide you with experienced caretakers who have worked with CLL patients before.

4. I don't know- would depend on the situation (e.g. who was responsible for it, Paley staff negligence or patient?) I would reach out to MyEvolution as he is going through this right now.

5. Homewood staff and my stay was positive. They have a lot of experience with CLL patients and are helpful and compassionate. As a general policy they don't help with home food deliveries but you can just have the delivery person go to your room. They do help with other things like helping you get mailed items to your room, throwing garbage out, etc.

6. The CLL community at Homewood was by far the most valuable asset to my experience that I didn't originally plan for. I also did CLL solo and the mental solitude will test you. I don't think I could have finished had it not been for the CLL friends I made at the hotel. You form a unique social bond with them because you share this brutal and unique experience and they quickly become your support structure and extended family, it really helps the time go by faster. Some of the friendships I made will likely last a lifetime. I remember one patient was staying by himself at a smaller, cheaper hotel with no other CLL patients and he nearly went crazy from the isolation and loneliness, he later moved to Homewood and formed friendships with the other CLL guests which pretty much saved him from going nuts. I'd reach out to Paley's staff and see if they'd be willing to help you network with patients scheduled to do it around your time.

Best of luck man. If you are set on CLL, you are on the right path: you are going to the most experienced doctor in the world with Paley, along with a world class team with his PT staff. Homewood Suites is a great place to stay.
Dr. Paley Patient: Femurs (Stryde) / 8 CM gained
Surgery: 9/17/19 / Distraction completed: 12/14/19
Start height: 5'9 or 175cm / Endi Height: 6'0 ft or 183 cm
Rod Removal: Dr. Debiparshad 6/16/21
Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=64373.0

harris88

• Visitor
« Reply #152 on: January 22, 2020, 06:30:36 PM »

Thank you TheAlchemist. That was very helpful!

limewalk

« Reply #153 on: January 29, 2020, 01:22:14 AM »

anyone knows if paley helps extend your stay beyond 90 days if you're from Europe, Australia, UK, etc (ESTA)? They keep saying 90 days is sufficient but I did the math: 3 days to settle in WPB, then surgery, then 7 days to start lengthening, then 80 days of lengthening for 8cm. Bang on 90 days. So even if you get one complication you will overstay. MyEvolution is an example of someone who's stay had to be extended by 50 days but he is Canadian which gives me 180 days of stay in the first place. I'm dying to know the answer to this question.

FormerKidd

« Reply #154 on: January 29, 2020, 02:29:20 AM »

anyone knows if paley helps extend your stay beyond 90 days if you're from Europe, Australia, UK, etc (ESTA)? They keep saying 90 days is sufficient but I did the math: 3 days to settle in WPB, then surgery, then 7 days to start lengthening, then 80 days of lengthening for 8cm. Bang on 90 days. So even if you get one complication you will overstay. MyEvolution is an example of someone who's stay had to be extended by 50 days but he is Canadian which gives me 180 days of stay in the first place. I'm dying to know the answer to this question.
They have a large number of international patients, so I expect they must.  If you are a perspective patient, I would reach out to Angelique Keller who can probably advise you based on your situation.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up