Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Work Leave Of Absence - Realistic STRYDE Recovery Timeline?  (Read 3083 times)

TheAlchemist

Hi all,

Targeting to do STRYDE bi lateral femur lengthening (7 to 8 cm).

I currently love my job (been here for nearly 4 years) and don't want to lose it; I could see myself developing and growing in my current role for another 2 to 3 years. 

Ideal situation: I am granted an unpaid leave of absence to go through the entire lengthening and recovery phase and return to work once I can walk normally with a normal gait (to an outside observer).

Other things to note:

***I plan on keeping the stature lengthening procedure private (i.e. NOT informing my co workers).

***I plan on telling them I need the time off to address personal / family / mental health issues.

*** I currently wear 2.5 inch lifts in my shoes to work everyday which I plan to remove when I return, I'm hoping the pre-op lifts will help the procedure seem less noticeable to my coworkers.

Question: How much time should I budget for the leave of absence if my goal is that I return to work with a 100% normal walk and gait with no visible indication that I have had any procedures done? Specifically, how long should I budget for consolidation? I'm looking for a conservative estimate.

Some things I've noted:

***Distraction Phase: With a desired height increase of 7.5 cm to 8 cm, at 1mm day, with a 7 day delay from procedure to lengthening commencement, I'm going to need approximately 90 days during the lengthening stage.

***Consolidation / Recovery to 100% normal walk Phase: This is a bit tricky. From the research I've done (reading through diaries, speaking to folks at the Paley institute) my conclusion is that the consolidation/recovery phase varies by individual, with the key variables being 1. genetics re: bone consolidation rates, flexibility, and muscle recovery and 2. Dedication to PT.

I've seen cases where folks have said 1 month post lengthening their walk/gait was 100%, and I've seen cases where even 6 months later the walk/gait was still noticeable off.

***I am below average when it comes to flexibility (currently cannot touch my toes while standing, although I'm working on it daily.)

***I'm currently 5'8 to 5'9 ish, so 7.5 to 8cm relative to my current femur isn't huge compared to other folks here.

***I'm early to mid 30's, male,  in decent / good shape, weigh 155 lbs.

My Budgeted Timeline: Considering all the above, would 3 months budgeted timeline for consolidation / recovery be a conservative estimate to get to, from an outsider observer perspective, a 100% walk / gait? Acknowledging that internally, it may feel stiff, but what my goal is being able to walk in an office environment normally such that others wouldn't notice.

The 3 months budgeted consolidation / recovery timeline would be from the time I stop lengthening (i.e. end of the distraction phase.) With all that above, my total leave of absence time that I will be asking for is 6 months and 1 week. Is this a reasonable, conservative timeline for a Leave of Absence?

I realize STRYDE is a fairly new technology so any STRYDE patients out there, much appreciated if you can weigh in!

Thanks all in advance!

Dr. Paley Patient: Femurs (Stryde) / 8 CM gained
Surgery: 9/17/19 / Distraction completed: 12/14/19
Start height: 5'9 or 175cm / Endi Height: 6'0 ft or 183 cm
Rod Removal: Dr. Debiparshad 6/16/21
Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=64373.0

California2

Re: Work Leave Of Absence - Realistic STRYDE Recovery Timeline?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 08:19:05 PM »

I suspect folks tend to underestimate the time it takes to look normal after surgery.

Remember, the rule of thumb for complete bone healing is two months for every centimeter of distraction.  So, if you distract 8 centimeters, your bones will not fully heal for about 16 months.

However, you will probably look normal enough sooner than your bones are fully healed.

In light of the above, perhaps folks should think of the process as distraction-->consolidation-->normalization.

The recovery process is quicker with internals (like Stryde) because you can begin to bear more weight sooner.  Weight-bearing causes bone growth.

Nonetheless, to complete 8 cm of lengthening and to return to an essentially normal gait and related functions might be more like 9-12 months.

Activatedx

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 08:22:03 PM »

Not with stryde, you’ll be able to walk, I would think 7-8 months just to be on the safe side

TheAlchemist

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 10:16:56 PM »

Nonetheless, to complete 8 cm of lengthening and to return to an essentially normal gait and related functions might be more like 9-12 months.

Thanks! Unfortunately I don't think I'd be able to swing 9 to 12 months for a LOA. The most I can do is 6.5 months. Hopefully the difference in my walk/gait during the period of 6.5 months to 9 months is negligible to the outside observer?

Not with stryde, you’ll be able to walk, I would think 7-8 months just to be on the safe side

This is what I've seen with Stryde. Some folks have reported that at 5 months (3 months distraction, 2 months consolidation and recovery) they walked 100% normal (see diaries of MyEvolution and superusercj).

By walk, I mean walking around in an office setting. Cubicle to cubicle. Occasionally taking stairs up and down floors. My job is 100% white collar.

Ghostfish

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 01:14:49 AM »

Hi Alchemist

If you do Stryde on your femurs, I would say 6 months will be enough for you to go back to work, although your walking may not be 100% normal.  I know a couple of patients who did about 7 cm in femurs and they walk and live pretty much normal about 6 months.  But do not expect to do sports or to run like before within 6 months.  Plus, I think you also need to keep in mind that around 7 cm you will feel much tighter so you may need to slow down lengthening from 6-7 cm, which will delay your time.  If you really need to get back to work in 6 months, I strongly recommend you to stop at 7 cm. 

TheAlchemist

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2019, 01:31:18 AM »

Hi Alchemist

If you do Stryde on your femurs, I would say 6 months will be enough for you to go back to work, although your walking may not be 100% normal.  I know a couple of patients who did about 7 cm in femurs and they walk and live pretty much normal about 6 months.  But do not expect to do sports or to run like before within 6 months.  Plus, I think you also need to keep in mind that around 7 cm you will feel much tighter so you may need to slow down lengthening from 6-7 cm, which will delay your time.  If you really need to get back to work in 6 months, I strongly recommend you to stop at 7 cm.

Thanks Ghostfish! May I ask when you say "know a couple of patients" is that specifically STRYDE and from Paley? How about 7.7cm (really hoping to hit my goal of 3 inches). I may actually get to do 6.5 months leave of absence. Do you think that is aggressive? Again, not looking to run/climb/job at 6.5 months, just walk casually around the office with a normal gait and normal look. Thanks!

Ghostfish

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2019, 01:58:15 AM »

Thanks Ghostfish! May I ask when you say "know a couple of patients" is that specifically STRYDE and from Paley? How about 7.7cm (really hoping to hit my goal of 3 inches). I may actually get to do 6.5 months leave of absence. Do you think that is aggressive? Again, not looking to run/climb/job at 6.5 months, just walk casually around the office with a normal gait and normal look. Thanks!
Hi Alchemist
I did cll last year with Stryde in Paley institute and met many patients.  I have been still in contact with some of them. All of them I know seem to do well.  7.7 cm is definitely achievable but the only problem is your time and flexibility.  You just need to try it yourself.  Your body will know you best.  Most of people will feel sort of limit of lengthening around 7 cm.  Many of them actually slow down the lengthening rate (from 1 mm to 0.75 mm) to achieve their goal, which may extend your time.  You have to work on your flexibility from now on to provide better chance to achieve your goal since you have limited time.   
After lengthening, you also need to work on PT and walking.  Femurs seem to recover better than tibias so I think 3 months after stopping, you will very likely walk well, which is almost normal or at least unnoticeable from others. 
Good luck!

TheAlchemist

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2019, 02:06:50 AM »

Hi Alchemist
I did cll last year with Stryde in Paley institute and met many patients.  I have been still in contact with some of them. All of them I know seem to do well.  7.7 cm is definitely achievable but the only problem is your time and flexibility.  You just need to try it yourself.  Your body will know you best.  Most of people will feel sort of limit of lengthening around 7 cm.  Many of them actually slow down the lengthening rate (from 1 mm to 0.75 mm) to achieve their goal, which may extend your time.  You have to work on your flexibility from now on to provide better chance to achieve your goal since you have limited time.   
After lengthening, you also need to work on PT and walking.  Femurs seem to recover better than tibias so I think 3 months after stopping, you will very likely walk well, which is almost normal or at least unnoticeable from others. 
Good luck!

Amazing. So helpful. Thank YOU!

InFullStryde

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2019, 01:46:28 PM »

Amazing. So helpful. Thank YOU!

Ghostfish is one of the coolest CLL'ers you will run into. Thanks for helping everyone on the board GhostFish; including myself with your support and understanding of the reality of CLL.  The good words go along way in assisting those who actually take that courageous step to undergo this life-changing procedure.

Hi Alchemist,

First, all the best for your future. I am a current Styrde patient undergoing the procedure and am just a bit over 4 months post-op.  I give you a better than 85% chance that you will be walking normally by 6.5 months.  I say this based on the fact that after only 4 months; other than walking slowly, I can already "impersonate" a normal walk if you will. I just need to walk slow to do that. When I try to walk normal speed, the tightness shows.  I'm actually doing what you are describing at work, right now, cubicle to cubicle, office to office, upstairs, etc. So IF push came to shove; and you HAD to return due to an emergency, month 4 would not even be out of bounds for you. Now, having said that; I don't recommend going back before 6 months IF you can avoid it. Focus on recovery as much as you can and you're going to get in and out of CLL much quicker. 

Further, Month 3 and Month 4 you're really knocking off the cobwebs on your legs; smoothing out tightness and building strength.  Month 5, you're rounding the corner on all tightness and putting a sword in the back of any complication dragons like APT.  Month 6; you're winning and closing out the initial phase to get back to normal walking.   

With all of this being said; here is some first hand advise.   The main thing that has slowed me down in this process is Anterior Pelvic Tilt...this is when your quads pull your pelvis downward due to tightness and you have to loosen up again in order to have that normalized.  It affects your walk.   If you can prevent this, I give you a better than 95% chance you'll be walking really well by that 6-month point.  I IMPLORE you to stretch your hip flexors and quads like a mad man before and during CLL to help avoid this.  THANKFULLY, I have been able to cure about 80% of my APT and am now rounding the corner.  Feel free to reach out to me anytime if you have questions. 

All the Best!

IFS

Edit:  I just wanted to add, Alchemist, that this is of course based on my experience and what I have heard from others undergoing the procedure. Every case is unique.  I sincerely do have confidence that you'll recover your walk in 6.5 months based on what I have experienced. Of course,  you'll only know once you experience yourself!  Good luck buddy. Talk soon.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 02:20:24 PM by InFullStryde »
"Make the BEST of what you have and Make what you have, the BEST"
InFullSTRYDE with Dr. Mahboubian - Jan 2019
Start Height/End Height: 5'1.25"/5'4.25"
Status: Gained 3" and Recovered Successfully! | Stryde Nails Removed: November 2020
Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=9671

TheAlchemist

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2019, 04:30:53 AM »

With all of this being said; here is some first hand advise.   The main thing that has slowed me down in this process is Anterior Pelvic Tilt...this is when your quads pull your pelvis downward due to tightness and you have to loosen up again in order to have that normalized.  It affects your walk.   If you can prevent this, I give you a better than 95% chance you'll be walking really well by that 6-month point.  I IMPLORE you to stretch your hip flexors and quads like a mad man before and during CLL to help avoid this.  THANKFULLY, I have been able to cure about 80% of my APT and am now rounding the corner.  Feel free to reach out to me anytime if you have questions. 

All the Best!

IFS

Edit:  I just wanted to add, Alchemist, that this is of course based on my experience and what I have heard from others undergoing the procedure. Every case is unique.  I sincerely do have confidence that you'll recover your walk in 6.5 months based on what I have experienced. Of course,  you'll only know once you experience yourself!  Good luck buddy. Talk soon.

InFullStryde- Amazing..... thank you so much for this advice around APT! I spent today researching how to stretch my hip flexors and quads. I picked up a few stretch videos you shared from your diary and am headed to the gym tomorrow to stretch like a maniac. I've got pretty poor flexibility as of today (can't even touch my toes while standing up) but I've got about 3 months till the reserved surgery date and I'm going to do my best to stay disciplined and push myself leading up to this date.

Antoine187

• Visitor
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2019, 09:26:46 AM »

@TheAlchemist, thanks for creating the topic as the Stryde is a new nail so it's important to update the timeline

@InFullStryde and @Ghostfish, thanks for your contribution on this forum!

On my side, I am planning to do Stryde (femur) with Giotikas in September this year (I have already been to Athens to visit the clinic).
But I am planning to do only 5cms (2inches). Have you met a patient who has done only 5cm with Stryde ?
According to Giotikas, I should be able to work normally between the month 3 and 4 after surgery.
But it would be great if you met someone who has done around 5cm to compare with a real experience..

Thank you!

Activatedx

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2019, 05:56:24 PM »

Why would you spend 50k+ for 5cm/2 inches when you can easily lengthen 7/7.5? You might as well wear shoe lifts, or just do Externals on Tibias for half the price, it’ll be harder and take long but save you a lot

TheAlchemist

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2019, 07:02:09 PM »

@TheAlchemist, thanks for creating the topic as the Stryde is a new nail so it's important to update the timeline

@InFullStryde and @Ghostfish, thanks for your contribution on this forum!

On my side, I am planning to do Stryde (femur) with Giotikas in September this year (I have already been to Athens to visit the clinic).
But I am planning to do only 5cms (2inches). Have you met a patient who has done only 5cm with Stryde ?
According to Giotikas, I should be able to work normally between the month 3 and 4 after surgery.
But it would be great if you met someone who has done around 5cm to compare with a real experience..

Thank you!

From what I've seen (anecdotal research based on diaries here) 6 cm and above is the painful point where significant tightness starts to kick in. People lengthening around 5cm to 6cm seem to recover faster and have less complications. No guarantees though.

Ghostfish

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2019, 01:02:42 AM »

Why would you spend 50k+ for 5cm/2 inches when you can easily lengthen 7/7.5? You might as well wear shoe lifts, or just do Externals on Tibias for half the price, it’ll be harder and take long but save you a lot
Hi Activatedx
You are still very young so I guess money is a big important factor.  However, for many older people including myself, career and time are more important. Perhaps some people may also care about their proportion and athletic abilities so conserved gaining may be their choice.  So we just need to respect whatever choice they make.  Based on my experience, from 5 cm or so, you will really start seeing a huge difference.  Although I think 3 inches better than 2 inches, 2 inches are a great gain!

But it would be great if you met someone who has done around 5cm to compare with a real experience.
Hi Antoine
First, thank you for your kind word!  Actually, I really think that IFS is a great guy who really has passion and responsibility on his life and kindness and warm-heart for helping people. 
Regarding your question, I've met any patient who purposely did only 5 cm on their femurs with either Precice or Stryde.  All of them I know did 6-8 cm if they did only femurs.  However, if ones did quadrilateral, they normally stopped lengthening at 5-6 cm in femurs and at 4-4.5 cm in tibias.  If you really plan on sticking on 5 cm in your femurs, I think 3-4 months after surgery, you would be able to walk fairly normal and to get back to work. 
For 5 cm, you need 50 days (1 mm per day) to lengthen but you need at least 8 days prior to lengthening (preop meeting, surgery, and recovery from the surgery).  So let's say 2 months for you for lengthening.  Since you only lengthen 5 cm, you will unlikely have a severe tightness as long as you do good PT and can probably finish lengthening without slowing down or stopping due to tightness.  You will very likely continue to walk during lengthening 3-4 weeks after the surgery.  After stopping lengthening, I think 1-2 months should be good enough for you to recover and to go back to work and sort of normal life. 
Good luck!

Activatedx

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2019, 06:39:22 PM »

Hi Activatedx
You are still very young so I guess money is a big important factor.  However, for many older people including myself, career and time are more important. Perhaps some people may also care about their proportion and athletic abilities so conserved gaining may be their choice.  So we just need to respect whatever choice they make.  Based on my experience, from 5 cm or so, you will really start seeing a huge difference.  Although I think 3 inches better than 2 inches, 2 inches are a great gain!
Hi Antoine
First, thank you for your kind word!  Actually, I really think that IFS is a great guy who really has passion and responsibility on his life and kindness and warm-heart for helping people. 
Regarding your question, I've met any patient who purposely did only 5 cm on their femurs with either Precice or Stryde.  All of them I know did 6-8 cm if they did only femurs.  However, if ones did quadrilateral, they normally stopped lengthening at 5-6 cm in femurs and at 4-4.5 cm in tibias.  If you really plan on sticking on 5 cm in your femurs, I think 3-4 months after surgery, you would be able to walk fairly normal and to get back to work. 
For 5 cm, you need 50 days (1 mm per day) to lengthen but you need at least 8 days prior to lengthening (preop meeting, surgery, and recovery from the surgery).  So let's say 2 months for you for lengthening.  Since you only lengthen 5 cm, you will unlikely have a severe tightness as long as you do good PT and can probably finish lengthening without slowing down or stopping due to tightness.  You will very likely continue to walk during lengthening 3-4 weeks after the surgery.  After stopping lengthening, I think 1-2 months should be good enough for you to recover and to go back to work and sort of normal life. 
Good luck!

It’s not necessary the money, if I was a millionaire I wouldn’t buy a water bottle for 20$ (unless it was life threatening). It’s moreover what you can do other with 50k, you can travel the world or buy a used Porsche, but that’s just my personal opinion
It’s not like you spend 50k to be 2 inches that’s a different story, requires time off work surgery and suffering

Antoine187

• Visitor
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2019, 05:27:44 AM »

Thank you The Alchemist and Ghostfish for your reply !
I really appreciate it :)

Activatedx, indeed due to my personnal situation I prefer to pay and get a quick and best recovery but wish you the best for your journey anyway

TruthBomber

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2019, 08:26:45 PM »

Why not take growth hormone to speed up recovery?

PAGrb490

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2019, 09:59:25 PM »

Oh yeah? How you gonna do it for example in Los Angeles? But some g-d knows what on a black market with your cryptocurrency? Please describe how to safely do it on the USA.
Pages: [1]   Go Up