Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Dr Xia & Dr Li (Beijing China) Institute of External Fixation Technology  (Read 86974 times)

programdude

Lol just being honest! Right now it works fine half the time but for taller chicks it is usually really awkward.
Dr. Paley Patient- Surgery completed successfully on July 22nd
My Diary for those who want a real play by play to know what to expect:http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=733.0

Starting height: 5 8
End Height-:5 11 +

programdude

Emailed them but still haven't heard back. Not sure whats up. I am currently undecided between them and cracking open the piggy bank and going with someone like paley.
Dr. Paley Patient- Surgery completed successfully on July 22nd
My Diary for those who want a real play by play to know what to expect:http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=733.0

Starting height: 5 8
End Height-:5 11 +

onedayillgrow

Lol just being honest! Right now it works fine half the time but for taller chicks it is usually really awkward.

Why is it usually really awkward Program dude? I thought longer Femurs means it would be easier doing doggystyle on tall chicks?

LittleLiam

Hey all,

I am planning on Beijing in Aug now and got a list of items to bring, please see below.

1, photos for visa extension in china

2, Converter or voltage transformer if it is necessary. 110V-220V.

3, wiring board

4, Medicine and food supplements

Bring some daily medicine or food supplements here which you get used to at home or some painkillers suit for you.

Does anyone know what the wiring board is/for?

Cheers

Liam

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member

If I had to guess, they probably mean a computer.  But I know Wang Bei knows the word "computer", so that's still kind of strange.

Taller

Does anyone know if Beijing is still planning to offer internal femurs, or have they scrapped that idea altogether?

It would be nice if they could come out with a reliable but affordable internal nail. I've never understood why internal lengthening nails have to cost $13,000+ a piece when the technology inside them is straightforward enough for a layman to comprehend. Surely good quality metal, like titanium, doesn't cost 10K. It's not like they're diamond nails. R&D must add to the cost, but if Beijing could make something similar to the existing betzbone or g-nail, and thus save on or eliminate most of the costs of R&D, it would be a dream come true.

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member

That idea has indeed been scrapped altogether with little hope of being revived.  They can't legally import foreign nails into China, and Wang Bei said they're not able to design and manufacture their own (she didn't state why not though).

mistermystery82

• Visitor

Current domestic patient here. The operating surgeon is a man named Dr. Ma. Haven't seen Dr. Xia or Wang Bei in more than a month. All future cosmetic LL patients will be in the new hospital, YanDa International Hospital City (called a city because there are many large hospital buildings here) in Hebei, 1.5 hours from Beijing. Foreign patients pay more than 2 times as much as domestic patients. Less than 5 foreign patients here and not many domestic patients for cosmetic LL.

Internal methods is not and will not be a treatment option here. China is a country that values tradition, so don't expect modern treatment reflecting new research. Look up intramedullary nail and knee pain incidence rates (meta-analysis shows >50% knee pain for some time after rods are inserted).

The new hospital looks nicer, but isn't. The "beds" lack mattresses, causing serious problems for almost every patient here. Just 3 inch pad on a very hard, metal surface. Bed/pressure sores are a big problem. Many patients can't sleep because of this. The bathrooms smell like sewage every day and small flies are everywhere. The water has a very bad, strong smell. Food is not included in the price. Budget 70 yuan a day for food. There are few food options here since the hospital is located in a rural area (6 restaurants here). If you don't have family here to bring you food, your options are: KFC, Pizza Hut, only 4 local restaurants that will deliver here and the hospital cafeteria. KFC, Pizza Hut, and the hospital cafeteria are expensive. The local restaurants don't offer much variety. One is a noodle place, the other is a rice place, and two offer some meat, but very little for the price. Their menus are small too, so food gets boring after 4 months. Guang Ji is in Beijing, so it's easy to get good food there. There are also many small, hidden fees at the new hospital. They said we have to pay for any medicine we use. Very strange. Also, Wang Bei has no authority over the new hospital. The nurses here have different management, so there have been some awkward situations where Wang Bei gives directions to the Guang Ji maids here, but the hospital nurses don't let the maids comply with her instructions.

Physical therapy is very important, but not included in the price. Your suggested physiotherapy routine will be to stand and walk. Not very good, compared to other countries. Google the importance of physiotherapy or research it at http://ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/. Should be easy to find reputatable research -- you can also check out Dr. Dror Paley's 600+ page textbook on LL where he talks about how bad physio can ruin a good surgery.

Freedom is limited. You aren't allowed to leave the hospital floor unless you are in very good condition and beg. Even then, you will rarely be let outside. Be willing to spend least 4 months on only one floor of a hospital.

Communication is hard for foreigners. If you can't speak Chinese...it is very hard for you. Internet is unreliable, sometimes 10kb/sec for several days (worse with VPN...), so don't expect Google Translate to help when the doctor comes in once a week for his 30 second visit. Wang Bei visits once every 4-5 weeks, so she can't help you much for the small conversations.

After the surgery, it's up to you to make sure you get good results through lots of walking, standing, stretching. If you don't want to exercise, you don't have to. Many domestic patients do not, so they take a long time to recover and suffer more pain during lengthening.

Not sure why foreigners would come here. For your price, I would go somewhere else.

G-Man

Thanks for the detailed inside information man, it is really appreciated and best of luck with your LL!

ShortyMcShort

Wow just wow, seems like CLL in China has fallen far from grace. Once a nice little community with a proven track record, now seems and sounds like its a total train wreck.
Might just splurge the extra cash and go with the more expensive Dr Lee and get piece of mind. 

LittleLiam

Got my 90 day Chinese Visa today, hooray.

Finalising financial matters (advance rent, someone to look after my car, automatic bio payments, someone to check on my place etc) before I head  to Beijing for 3-4 months.

Thanks you guys who went to Beijing before me as Im confident all will go well and I;ll be in the new hospital :-)

I may start my diary in two weeks before I go , aiming for end of next month, maybe the 28th.

Will keep you all updated.

Any advice on last minute things I should bring (did you regret bringing something?) or do, appreciated.

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member

If you use mouthwash, bring some.  China's selection of mouthwash is pretty bad and it's really expensive.  Also bring protein shake mix; as much as you can.  I was actually able to sell some of mine to other patients at a profit.  Vitamin/mineral supplements are a must-bring as well.

LittleLiam

Thanks MDW Ive stocked up on vitamins etc but never though of the mouthwash and protein which I use a lot!  I notice credit cards not popular in China, should I open an account with Bank of China too ?

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member

Since everything is all-inclusive and you'll be staying at the hospital the whole time, you don't really need a Chinese bank account.  For a little spending cash, my American debit card worked at Chinese ATMs.  You can get the hospital's driver to take you, or Wang Bei will go for you if you're willing to trust her with your PIN.  I did, and she didn't steal anything from me.

LittleLiam

ok thanks MDW, , just now Ronne has sent what looks like her account details with BOC Beijing.  Di you transfer the funds in advance of travelling there?  My intention was to have the funds available for when I got there and then transfer after my consultation just to be sure all is ok.  I'm also think of taking a trip within China (about an hours flight) after 2.5 months for a couple of weeks and then coming back.

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member

I brought traveler's checks since I didn't really like the idea of wiring money to someone I'd never met before.  Are you planning on doing an online wire transfer?  I didn't have online banking back in 2007, so there wasn't that option for me.

As for the trip, I don't think it's a good idea to plan it until you know how you're going to be feeling at the time.  I was very dependent on the caretakers so there's no way I could've gone on a trip like that.  Other patients might have been able to do it though.

LittleLiam

Hi MDOW, yes I've opened account with BOC and lodged funds.  Ill stay for 3 months and hope thats enough for 5 centre meters or a little more.  If I can hire a caretaker to come with me into China for a month I plan on doing that after 2.5 months, I want to be using my arms early to lift myself around and intend building upon my existing good arm strength.  I realise Facebook and GMAIl can be a problem but SKYPE is ok and hotmail so Ill be able to communicate to the outside world and to this site :-)

Again thanks for your diary and experience and it has given me so much confidence.

I'm one month away from the operation now :-)

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member

Good luck to you then!  I hope you'll start a diary here and share the details of your LL journey.  It makes me nostalgic to hear about people getting LL in China. :)

AimHigh

Re: Dr Xia & Dr Li (Beijing China) Institute of External Fixation Technology
« Reply #80 on: August 07, 2014, 12:51:00 PM »

Good luck Liam - I also hope you keep a diary here  :)
2016 5.3 cm RFem. Fitbone, 2019 8cm LFem. Precice 2.2, 2022 2.9 cm Rfem Precice 2.2

Sweden

« Reply #81 on: August 07, 2014, 09:09:22 PM »

It seems as a long time ago there was a diary from China.

Best of luck.
173cm before LL with Sarin, jan -13. Now 180cm tall. Considering 5cm on femurs.

tapemeasure

« Reply #82 on: August 08, 2014, 02:34:43 AM »

Reading the website and the FAQ it provides, I thought China sounded promising and also well within my budget. But now I read this thread, apparently not. :-\

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #83 on: August 08, 2014, 04:07:46 AM »

Reading the website and the FAQ it provides, I thought China sounded promising and also well within my budget. But now I read this thread, apparently not. :-\

What in this thread makes you not want to go to China?

LittleLiam

« Reply #84 on: August 09, 2014, 04:40:56 AM »

Theres no going back now. Most of my todo list items in terms of preparation are ticked off.  I gave a months notice on my job three weeks ago and this coming week is my last week. I'll then use a few weeks to finalise remaining items and start my diary properly. My suitcases are packed!   I'm taking enough stuff to keep me going for 4 months away !  I've also spent the last 12 weeks losing weight (went from 87 kilos to 78 so far ) and learning mandarin.  I've also been studying about cinese culture and history and joined a [fuchsia] chinese dating site [/color] and have been chatting with some attractive candidates ;-)

Mw1245

« Reply #85 on: August 10, 2014, 07:11:34 AM »

is that really mistermystery82 ?
there gives not many doctors there make to this price and that extend the tibias so.
i think dr xia is a good option for the people that want be legs really longer.

i wish you good luck little jiam.
I hope it passes quickly and easily.
I plan next year to go to him. i am now in the save money phase :D.
I wait so exiting on your thread.good luck man good luck :)

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #86 on: August 10, 2014, 07:29:19 AM »

Totally excited for you Liam. Hope it all goes smoothly. It's been so long since a new Beijing diary that it will be very interesting to see how things are running there now.
Initial height: 164 cm / ~5'5" (Surgery on 6/25/2014)
Current height: 170 cm / 5'7" (Frames removed 6/29/2015)
External Tibia lengthening performed by Dr Mangal Parihar in Mumbai, India.
My Cosmetic Leg Lengthening Experience

ShortyMcShort

« Reply #87 on: August 13, 2014, 12:02:19 PM »

Does China also do externals only? Or is it just LON/LATN?

Finally a new China diary set in stone, will be watching with keen interest on the situation over there. Its been radio silence for a long time now

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #88 on: August 13, 2014, 08:52:59 PM »

I think you could get them to do external-only if you asked.  I don't see why they'd force anyone to get the nails if they didn't want them.

tapemeasure

« Reply #89 on: August 21, 2014, 09:31:40 PM »

What in this thread makes you not want to go to China?
People in this thread saying that China has fallen far from grace in the last 7 years, that their standards have fallen etc.

ShortyMcShort

« Reply #90 on: August 22, 2014, 02:57:29 AM »

Hey MDOW, how long or how many times could you extend your visa whilst in China when you were there. Do you know what the maximum stay was for a foreigner?

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #91 on: August 22, 2014, 04:36:06 AM »

I don't know the answer because I never had to deal with it.  Wang Bei makes sure you have a visa for as long as you need to stay at the hospital.  She takes care of it all, no hassle.

Thegosis

• Tibias - Beijing Dr Xia - Fixated 27nov13
« Reply #92 on: September 09, 2014, 01:54:13 PM »

I want the scars to stay there because they indicate exactly where the screws and rod have been inserted in each leg. That is for ease of completing the final surgery to take all that out at the end of 2016
167cm at 27 November 2013 to 175cm in mid-May 2014
Patient of Surgeons Peng and Zhao in Beijing
http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=178.0
Possible 183cm, Dr Shah in Mumbai from Feb '15 (PRECICE II femurs)
http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=1663.0
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up