Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can I get back to work in 3 weeks after STRYDE surgery ?  (Read 2989 times)

Maison

Can I get back to work in 3 weeks after STRYDE surgery ?
« on: June 01, 2019, 02:42:02 AM »

Hi, everyone.

I consider undergoing the surgery of femur using STRYDE in several months.
The problem is how long I should be absent from work.

My work style: desk-work, sitting almost all day
work day: 2-3 days/week
transportation: train or taxi

If I rest for 3 weeks for surgery, can I return to work with crutches ?
Or should I rest for more than 4 weeks?
I would not like to use the wheelchair in work place.

Astronomy

Re: Can I get back to work in 3 weeks after STRYDE surgery ?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2019, 02:57:44 AM »

3 weeks aren't still enough.I think in fastest process 3months are needed.

Maison

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2019, 03:50:13 AM »

In terms of ambulation, I feel like I'm going to be able to walk without crutches in less than a week,

superusercj1 said above 14 days after STRYDE surgery.

I feel like I can do desk work three weeks after surgery, is it difficult?
On work day I use ERC in the morning and night.

Activatedx

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2019, 04:43:56 AM »

Hi, everyone.

I consider undergoing the surgery of femur using STRYDE in several months.
The problem is how long I should be absent from work.

My work style: desk-work, sitting almost all day
work day: 2-3 days/week
transportation: train or taxi

If I rest for 3 weeks for surgery, can I return to work with crutches ?
Or should I rest for more than 4 weeks?
I would not like to use the wheelchair in work place.

Email a doctor but I would highly doubt it

Ghostfish

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2019, 06:06:40 AM »

Hi maison
I am sure that you are a newbie here.  Please read and study much more.  Working in 3 weeks of surgery is simply impossible, unless you are a boss or an owner.  If you are an ordinary worker with a desk job, you still need at least 5 months, if you care about walking or living at relatively normal level.  If you absolutely don't care about or are fine with walking or living, you can start working perhaps after lengthening which is about 3 months.

Maison

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2019, 06:54:40 AM »

I read the diaries of some stride patients.

Anyway I went back to work yesterday after 4 weeks. I used a cane and it was tougher than I expected. Walking around the house here and there is one thing but having to walk at work (from parking lot to building and then to desk, walking to meetings, to the bathroom that's located at the other end of the floor) is another matter. By the end of the day I felt like the nail was going to break at any moment and my legs would fall off.  I will definitely use crutches from now on at work.

SLM said above on POD 29.
He could go to work on POD 28. Is he a boss or owner? 
I am not asking to walk naturally 3-4 weeks after surgery.
It is enough for me to walk slowly using crutches.

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2019, 02:02:27 PM »

i think you can but not advisable, i myself will do that because I have no other acceptable option (my options are pretty much - i) don't do LL or ii) do but get back to work 1 months after surgery and do remaining lengthening and consolidation at home), though I am open t travelling to surgeon's location in case any complication occurs and it becomes necessary. Also note: almost no surgeon will allow/accept this, so my plan is to lie and tell them I will be lengthening there and then after 1 month make an excuse that I must get back to home/work , then will not be be able to hold you forcefully.

totallyred

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2019, 05:54:40 PM »

@7231 when did you do surgery? When did you join job? What is your job type? How are you doing at job?

cheekycabs

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2019, 06:16:48 PM »

Putting your work before your health is a horrible decision. No matter what you try and convince yourself, this is a horrible decision. I was still almost bedridden after a month, and you expect to be walking?
External Tib Ilizarov, Azerbaijan: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=9418.0
Drugs, preparation, training: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1V2bNA_OsVwqR5Qp6fAWH7VFN6DaZPJ8YroUELsIy28k/edit

1 year post can run slowly, walking/gym everyday. Issues are zero, ankle tight waking up.

Bonez

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2019, 07:04:08 PM »

So I think the question is if the discomfort of the surgery/lengthening is light enough after 3 weeks to be able to concentrate on a desk job enough not to get fired. Not necessarily if he can stand/move around after 3 weeks since you could go in a wheelchair. But i would imagine being in a office chair/wheelchair for 8 hours a day will make the lengthening process suck.

Idk honestly good question

Activatedx

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2019, 07:39:20 PM »

Putting your work before your health is a horrible decision. No matter what you try and convince yourself, this is a horrible decision. I was still almost bedridden after a month, and you expect to be walking?

No offense but you did externals, stryde is full weight bearing and way easier to manage than bulky fixators

Maison

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2019, 08:19:48 PM »

Hi, Thank you for many opinions.

I wrote 3 weeks in the title, but I changed my mind. I would like to return to work 4 weeks after surgery.

I found that many people think that returning to work 4 weeks after surgery is impossible.

However, why do they ignore SLM and superusercj1 walking with crutches about one month after surgery?

SLM was not recommending people to come back to work only after 4 weeks post surgery, but I think it is not completely impossible.

As 7231 and Bones say, I think returning to work 4 weeks after surgery is uncomfortable but not impossible.

In addition, there are several diaries of patients who recently underwent STRYDE surgery.  I want to watch their progress.

cheekycabs

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2019, 08:58:24 PM »

No offense but you did externals, stryde is full weight bearing and way easier to manage than bulky fixators

Probably right. There's a reason I paid 20 times less. But I don't think the right approach is to keep your job as the priority, sat in a wheelchair "attempting" to work instead of resting, proper physio, and proper care/diet/rehab. Take the normal expected recovery time, and add 50%, and plan around that timeline. Especially if you're young. The fact you're risking permanent damage to your legs to work an extra month or two or whatever, is ridiculous any way you cut it. You're not in the NBA and don't make 100 grand to work and risk screwing yourself up.

External Tib Ilizarov, Azerbaijan: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=9418.0
Drugs, preparation, training: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1V2bNA_OsVwqR5Qp6fAWH7VFN6DaZPJ8YroUELsIy28k/edit

1 year post can run slowly, walking/gym everyday. Issues are zero, ankle tight waking up.

Activatedx

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2019, 09:02:28 PM »

Probably right. There's a reason I paid 20 times less. But I don't think the right approach is to keep your job as the priority, sat in a wheelchair "attempting" to work instead of resting, proper physio, and proper care/diet/rehab. Take the normal expected recovery time, and add 50%, and plan around that timeline. Especially if you're young. The fact you're risking permanent damage to your legs to work an extra month or two or whatever, is ridiculous any way you cut it. You're not in the NBA and don't make 100 grand to work and risk screwing yourself up.

No I agree with you, even with stryde would not be safe

Would be better to just take off

Ghostfish

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2019, 05:19:15 AM »

Hi maison
I understand you must be very eager for cll.  I probably can't say it is impossible to go back to work in 3 weeks but it is pretty much close to impossible.  You need to know this is a really serious stuff.  I know SLM got back to work soon but he also regretted it and does not recommend it to anyone.  I think SLM is just an exceptional case and DO NOT expect you are an exception.  Everybody is more or less similar.

1. Even with a full weight bearing like Stryde, you can't walk anywhere close to normal walking.  Walking is also getting worse and worse as you lengthen more and more.  In fact, 4-8 weeks are the best moment for CLL, since you recover from the surgery and haven't lengthened that much.  Trust me it will get worse and worse down the road.  (if your goal is 5 cm or so, it may be fine.)

2. You will have constant pain all the time just at different levels every moment.  I had quite serious pain (it is very subjective.) so I couldn't really do much activity or sleep well.  I slept only 2-4 h in total everyday and woke up 3-4 times or more.  Everyday, I was exhausted.

3. You also need to do lots of PT to be able to lengthen enough and recover better, which takes time and burns your energy.  At work, you can't do PT and you may be in trouble at late stage of lengthening.  Or your late stage may come so early like 3-4 cm.

4. You can't sit down in any chair for a long time.  This long time means not even 30 min.  Sitting is also quite uncomfortable so you can't sit in any comfy chair for a long time.  You are also supposed to stretch your legs in high position while sitting.

5. Working in general is pretty serious thing.  Obviously you can't perform anywhere close to 100%.  At best 50% perhaps not.  If your position is not high, your job will be at risk.  Your coworkers will be also unhappy to work with you.   

6. You will have a super high risk of getting your secret of CLL to be revealed.  Personally, this is the worst thing and I care about my privacy the most.  It is up to you to take this risk.  Or if you mind, that is ok.

I went back to work 5 months po.  It was still though.  You said you changed your mind from 3 weeks to 4 weeks.  This doesn't make any difference.  It is really up to you.  This is my last post for you anyway. 

fodawupa

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2019, 08:11:49 AM »

i think this that same guy who is on the forum since many years and has not done even 1 consultation with any doctor, just keeps asking questions jumping between every single option (externals, precice, us, india, europe, dr m, dr paley, blah blah blah) the only thing he knows about LL is from reading online.
he is really attached to his job for some reason.
he has no idea what is a good price for this operation. sometimes he thinks 100k for paley is crazy and sometimes he thinks doing it in cheap places is very risky and keeps flipping between.

i really wish he goes out and has consultations with docs. the gravity of LL will hit him and he will really think if its all worth it. if it is worth it, he will go ahead and do it.

i dont meant to be harsh man,but time is precious. u will never get ur youth back.

no one can do LL confidently. almost everyone will be pissng their pants in the waiting room but u have to stick through it. it can be worth it just get to over this dream of getting LL once and for all and focus on other things in life
"Gammal kjærleik rustar inkje."

Maison

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2019, 09:03:39 AM »

Hi Ghostfish.
I appreciate so much to your detailed reply.
Since my target is 5 cm in fact, I think that it is not a big problem that I cannot take long time for PT.
However, it is a fatal problem that I cannot sit down long time.
I will seriously consider to quit my job for CLL of Femur.
Thank you.

Maison

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2019, 09:11:08 AM »

Hi fudawopa.
I have consulted a doctor before.
However, STRYDE had not been released yet at that time.
I think STRYDE is a game changer.

Anyway, I'll think about quitting my job for surgery.

TheAlchemist

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2019, 08:55:00 PM »

Hi maison
I understand you must be very eager for cll.  I probably can't say it is impossible to go back to work in 3 weeks but it is pretty much close to impossible.  You need to know this is a really serious stuff.  I know SLM got back to work soon but he also regretted it and does not recommend it to anyone.  I think SLM is just an exceptional case and DO NOT expect you are an exception.  Everybody is more or less similar.

1. Even with a full weight bearing like Stryde, you can't walk anywhere close to normal walking.  Walking is also getting worse and worse as you lengthen more and more.  In fact, 4-8 weeks are the best moment for CLL, since you recover from the surgery and haven't lengthened that much.  Trust me it will get worse and worse down the road.  (if your goal is 5 cm or so, it may be fine.)

2. You will have constant pain all the time just at different levels every moment.  I had quite serious pain (it is very subjective.) so I couldn't really do much activity or sleep well.  I slept only 2-4 h in total everyday and woke up 3-4 times or more.  Everyday, I was exhausted.

3. You also need to do lots of PT to be able to lengthen enough and recover better, which takes time and burns your energy.  At work, you can't do PT and you may be in trouble at late stage of lengthening.  Or your late stage may come so early like 3-4 cm.

4. You can't sit down in any chair for a long time.  This long time means not even 30 min.  Sitting is also quite uncomfortable so you can't sit in any comfy chair for a long time.  You are also supposed to stretch your legs in high position while sitting.

5. Working in general is pretty serious thing.  Obviously you can't perform anywhere close to 100%.  At best 50% perhaps not.  If your position is not high, your job will be at risk.  Your coworkers will be also unhappy to work with you.   

6. You will have a super high risk of getting your secret of CLL to be revealed.  Personally, this is the worst thing and I care about my privacy the most.  It is up to you to take this risk.  Or if you mind, that is ok.

I went back to work 5 months po.  It was still though.  You said you changed your mind from 3 weeks to 4 weeks.  This doesn't make any difference.  It is really up to you.  This is my last post for you anyway.

This is very helpful Ghostfish. Just curious, how did you manage this with your job/ career? Did you quit, request a leave of absence, or worked from home?

Thanks!
Dr. Paley Patient: Femurs (Stryde) / 8 CM gained
Surgery: 9/17/19 / Distraction completed: 12/14/19
Start height: 5'9 or 175cm / Endi Height: 6'0 ft or 183 cm
Rod Removal: Dr. Debiparshad 6/16/21
Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=64373.0

Ghostfish

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2019, 01:09:18 AM »

This is very helpful Ghostfish. Just curious, how did you manage this with your job/ career? Did you quit, request a leave of absence, or worked from home?

Thanks!
Hi Alchemist
I couldn't find a time for CLL for a long time because I couldn't give up my career that I have been working for in my whole life.  Just before CLL, I found a new job that is my life time goal I have been working on for many many years.  After I finally got this offer, I quitted my previous position and took some time (about 5-6 months) off before I started my new position. Everything worked out well.  So now I am enjoying my new job with new height. :) 

TheAlchemist

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2019, 03:02:28 AM »

Hi Alchemist
I couldn't find a time for CLL for a long time because I couldn't give up my career that I have been working for in my whole life.  Just before CLL, I found a new job that is my life time goal I have been working on for many many years.  After I finally got this offer, I quitted my previous position and took some time (about 5-6 months) off before I started my new position. Everything worked out well.  So now I am enjoying my new job with new height. :)

Thanks for the reply Ghostfish. Awesome that the timing worked out for you. At this point in time, I'm struggling with taking a huge break in my career as I've worked so hard to get where I am today. At the same time, in my early 30's.....height dysphoria has been eating away at me for far too long and I'm thinking now or never. Suffering from anxiety about this decision but I'm trying as hard as I can to just move forward and move on with this journey......
Dr. Paley Patient: Femurs (Stryde) / 8 CM gained
Surgery: 9/17/19 / Distraction completed: 12/14/19
Start height: 5'9 or 175cm / Endi Height: 6'0 ft or 183 cm
Rod Removal: Dr. Debiparshad 6/16/21
Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=64373.0

tombrada

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2019, 04:24:50 PM »

Hiya - where are you planning to get the operation?

Jolien

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2019, 12:37:58 PM »

Dear,

I saw people who did internal nail lengthening, one of them was stryde.
I think it is possible if you have iron discipline. Because it takes so much energy, you normally will sleep most of the day. If you are unlucky and have a lot of growth pain you will have to take a lot of pain killers which will decrease your energy level even further. Also at night the first month your sleeping is not good at all. In the beginning you will sleep only a few hours a day.
You also have to discuss the way you go to your work, I havent seen any patient driving a car or walking to a subway (for sure not the first month). 

Kind regards

Jolien

Maison

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2019, 01:23:03 AM »

Dear,

I saw people who did internal nail lengthening, one of them was stryde.
I think it is possible if you have iron discipline. Because it takes so much energy, you normally will sleep most of the day. If you are unlucky and have a lot of growth pain you will have to take a lot of pain killers which will decrease your energy level even further. Also at night the first month your sleeping is not good at all. In the beginning you will sleep only a few hours a day.
You also have to discuss the way you go to your work, I havent seen any patient driving a car or walking to a subway (for sure not the first month). 

Kind regards

Jolien

Hi Jolian, thanks for the comment. 
To be honest, I do not know if I can maintain iron discipline. 
If I have surgery, I think it is the end of the year.  I would like to consult with my doctor and think carefully.

Now I am considering taking a break for 5-6 weeks.
If I do not quit my job, that's the limit.

Kind regards
Pages: [1]   Go Up