Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What happens with the intramedullary canal?  (Read 548 times)

sylar94

What happens with the intramedullary canal?
« on: June 11, 2019, 03:55:55 PM »

With internal methods, the doctors does bone reaming to enlarge the intramedullary canal so he can place the nail.
What happens with that empty space from the bone after the nail is removed? Does the bone regenerate to its original state in the intramedullary canal?

otavio

Re: What happens with the intramedullary canal?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 12:13:12 AM »

I have the same curiosity

short

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 08:45:20 AM »

I'm also interested in this question. What's about the blood cell formation when the bone marrow is missing, especially when you've done ll in each of the four segments?
Are there any problems in the future cause of this?

PANDA:BEAR..

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2019, 10:30:32 AM »

Once the internal rods have been taken out... it will regenerate and grow new bone and cells

Sanity

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2019, 04:28:25 PM »

Research tells that after the nail is removed, not only the reamed bone comes back but it comes back extra because of the nail. That is why some people prefer nail to increase the bone mass after this procedure. However the extra bone is because the body is kindoff fooled because of nail removal, it thinks it has lost bone but it realises that and within 2-3 years the extra bone mass is reabsorbed (normal osteoclast activity in bones neutralises it).
post ll:  5'10.5  (+2.25 in)

sylar94

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2019, 05:34:31 PM »

https://www.hss.edu/professional-conditions_femur-lengthening-precice-internal-lengthening-nail.asp
im sorry, i cant find where exactly it says that the intramedullary canal regenerates?
can you please quote that part?

sylar94

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2019, 05:35:14 PM »

Research tells that after the nail is removed, not only the reamed bone comes back but it comes back extra because of the nail. That is why some people prefer nail to increase the bone mass after this procedure. However the extra bone is because the body is kindoff fooled because of nail removal, it thinks it has lost bone but it realises that and within 2-3 years the extra bone mass is reabsorbed (normal osteoclast activity in bones neutralises it).
thats great
can you please provide me some proof/links about this?

PANDA:BEAR..

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2019, 06:03:35 PM »

The above statement is true... after the reaming and rods taken out bone and cells grow ... to a stronger mass

sylar94

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2019, 06:25:41 PM »

The above statement is true... after the reaming and rods taken out bone and cells grow ... to a stronger mass
again, can you please provide real proof?
no one actually talks about this, not Paley, not Rozbruch
yes, the new bone caused by lengthening is stronger; but im talking about only the inner part of the bone, where the nail is placed
i remember i watched Paley say that the reaming should not cause any long term problems, as if that inner part of the bone will never regenerate again
Pages: [1]   Go Up