Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: DO NOT FALL VICTIM TO FAKE STUDIES ON HEIGHT  (Read 3874 times)

Knik

Re: DO NOT FALL VICTIM TO FAKE STUDIES ON HEIGHT
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2019, 04:32:16 PM »

@knik , thanks for replying, I also wanted to say I never claimed wikipidea doesnt have accurate studies but I claimed usually when seeing a study on above average countries, you can definitley see bad methodology of the study leading to fake numbers like 6'1 for dutch and montenegro. Which leads to people having worse height neurosis

Of course, but let's see honest most people lie
each time I go to a chat group for instance, their is that moment people exchange their height, and each time the average height of the group is over 5-11 and sometimes like 6-1
of course internet let you the possibility to lie easily, but I'm sure some people lie that much even in the real life
sometimes it may just be by comparing themselves to other people or celebrities they see at TV and self-estimating
Looking for Pili

myloginacc

« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2019, 05:25:42 PM »

Height dysphoria completely ends at 5'9.5~.7 (176cm~177cm) for me, and you can learn how to live a happy life at 5'7 (170cm) if you stop visiting and reading these forums, and work towards building your life in all aspects.
Formerly myloginacct; had issues with my login account.
Yes I do want to add, before doing this surgery, ask yourself if you have optimized your life to the fullest extent possible (job/career, personality, etc).

Knik

« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2019, 06:48:48 PM »

Height dysphoria completely ends at 5'9.5~.7 (176cm~177cm) for me, and you can learn how to live a happy life at 5'7 (170cm) if you stop visiting and reading these forums, and work towards building your life in all aspects.

If you stop internet
when you claim 5'9 in any forum or chat group, people will usually laugh at you
Looking for Pili

Knik

« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2019, 07:15:44 PM »

actually I'm asking myself how Indonesian who are less than 160 cm in average feels when they see that
Looking for Pili

Activatedx

« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2019, 08:13:16 PM »

actually I'm asking myself how Indonesian who are less than 160 cm in average feels when they see that

Yeah I always feel bad about being 167cm, finally measured myself accurately, and I wish I was just an inch taller or so at least, so I wouldn’t have to do 2 segments. But at least at my height it’s  possible to reach 5’11 with 5.5cm/7.5cm tibias/femurs. I feel really bad for people that are 160cm and do cll just to reach my height where I already feel really short.

Knik

« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2019, 10:16:42 PM »

Yeah I always feel bad about being 167cm, finally measured myself accurately, and I wish I was just an inch taller or so at least, so I wouldn’t have to do 2 segments. But at least at my height it’s  possible to reach 5’11 with 5.5cm/7.5cm tibias/femurs. I feel really bad for people that are 160cm and do cll just to reach my height where I already feel really short.

honestly you don't need to go to 5'11 to feel good
at 5'9 you should be perfect
but still, many girls are in the 5'9 / 5'11 segment so yes, it definitely make a difference

In some countries like Yemen or Indonesia, national average is not even 160 for male
Looking for Pili

IwannaBeTaller

« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2019, 04:03:00 PM »

Don't feel pity for people who are shorter. This is also a form of heightism, even if well-meaning. I understand where you're coming from, you think "I feel bad being at my height, so logically, someone who is even shorter must feel even worse". When I was younger, I used to see guys shorter than me an secretly think "I'm so sorry man, I feel your struggle", but I have realized there might be no struggle, and even if some stranger feels unhappy with his height, he might feel less unhappy than me, he might have coped a lot better or even feel good with his life? What do we know, we can't look into others' heads?

Feel bad for people being unhappy, don't feel bad for them being short.
It's a long way to find peace of mind, peace of mind
It's a long way to find peace of mind, peace of mind.

Bigdawg

« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2019, 05:12:27 PM »

Yet another ridiculous study here that blatantly  uses surveys on insecure  18 year old highschool croatian students to claim an average of 6'2 haha

https://www.croatiaweek.com/dalmatians-now-the-tallest-18-year-olds-in-the-world/

IwannaBeTaller

« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2019, 07:10:59 PM »

That's exactly the one I talked about before.

However, it looks like they actually measured them:

The measurements were conducted using two devices—a mobile stadiometer SECA 213 and a specially constructed apparatus designed for the measurement of height, sitting height and arm span. The mutual compatibility and accuracy of these devices was tested on a sample of 128 Czech high schoolers. The means measured by these two devices differed by only 0.14 cm (179.18 cm vs. 179.04 cm), and their intra-class correlation was nearly perfect (r = 0.998).

https://peerj.com/articles/6598/#methods

Apoplectic

• Gliding Over All
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2019, 07:32:33 PM »

What can be learned from this is that height is pretty much the same everywhere in Europe I guess.

Also not to get too political here but once EU starts behaving more in the manner of the US, instead of an economic entity, as is the current trend- European wide migration and intermingling will eventually cause a regression towards the mean in the areas where any outliers are  in a few decades anyway.

myloginacc

« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2019, 07:48:06 PM »

The gist is, basically: consider whether this surgery is worth it at all if you're at least 170cm (5'7), and you can live life at 100% (one hundred percent) if you are at least 175~176cm (lifts will easily get you to 180cm).

There are always be online maniacs claiming you need to be over 180cm (5'11) to be their fxcked up notion of an ideal man. Ignore them. An "ideal" man (if we really need to call it that) is someone who is taller than or the height of >99% of women, and is never regarded as a little "pipsqueak" anywhere. Being tall is a luxury. Count your blessings and don't risk your legs over this.
Formerly myloginacct; had issues with my login account.
Yes I do want to add, before doing this surgery, ask yourself if you have optimized your life to the fullest extent possible (job/career, personality, etc).

IwannaBeTaller

« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2019, 09:37:23 PM »

Being tall is a luxury.

Wise words.

Ghostfish

« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2019, 01:01:39 AM »

Don't feel pity for people who are shorter. This is also a form of heightism, even if well-meaning. I understand where you're coming from, you think "I feel bad being at my height, so logically, someone who is even shorter must feel even worse". When I was younger, I used to see guys shorter than me an secretly think "I'm so sorry man, I feel your struggle", but I have realized there might be no struggle, and even if some stranger feels unhappy with his height, he might feel less unhappy than me, he might have coped a lot better or even feel good with his life? What do we know, we can't look into others' heads?

I can't agree with you more.  This is really well said!

Activatedx

« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2019, 08:30:26 PM »

Oh No i didn’t mean I pity them for being shorter than me or being short, I pity that they have to go through immeasurable struggle to gain a few inches and still be a victim of societies merciless treatment and perspective. Breaking your legs to become 5’5 and they will still be alot under average. At least in my case I can reach the average or a  above it which is even better. In my fate I can escape it, in their case after two surgeries and countless pain and money spent they will still be considered short although to a much acceptable degree which is better I guess 

People say don’t care what other people think but height  is integrated in and embedded in our lives
It’s even worse that my families males are 6ft+ average and when I visit  they all blatantly rude and constantly make comments or statements. I’ll wear one inch lifts with some good sneakers to add a couple inches and they’ll openly make fun of my lifts in front of everyone in my family get together,
It’s all love and jokes  at the end of the day and they don’t take their comments seriously or think it offends me that much but it really does deeply, it makes you feel lesser of a person. So when I think about the   I go through at my height I pity what people a little under that have to go through because they get it even worse

PANDA:BEAR..

« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2019, 08:41:10 PM »

Oh No i didn’t mean I pity them for being shorter than me or being short, I pity that they have to go through immeasurable struggle to gain a few inches and still be a victim of societies merciless treatment and perspective. Breaking your legs to become 5’5 and they will still be alot under average. At least in my case I can reach the average or a  above it which is even better. In my fate I can escape it, in their case after two surgeries and countless pain and money spent they will still be considered short although to a much acceptable degree which is better I guess 

People say don’t care what other people think but height  is integrated in and embedded in our lives
It’s even worse that my families males are 6ft+ average and when I visit  they all blatantly rude and constantly make comments or statements. I’ll wear one inch lifts with some good sneakers to add a couple inches and they’ll openly make fun of my lifts in front of everyone in my family get together,
It’s all love and jokes  at the end of the day and they don’t take their comments seriously or think it offends me that much but it really does deeply, it makes you feel lesser of a person. So when I think about the   I go through at my height I pity what people a little under that have to go through because they get it even worse

But me emotionally... 6ft is the magic number...

Activatedx

« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2019, 10:30:02 PM »

But me emotionally... 6ft is the magic number...

Eh not really. Being five ten and a half for example with sim sneakers will make you more of less 6ft. Once you’re 5’11 more or less that’s the magic number where your height makes you attractive . Because you’re moderately taller by a couple inches than the average

IwannaBeTaller

« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2019, 11:41:44 PM »

It’s all love and jokes  at the end of the day and they don’t take their comments seriously or think it offends me that much but it really does deeply, it makes you feel lesser of a person. So when I think about the   I go through at my height I pity what people a little under that have to go through because they get it even worse

I seriously think you should tell your relatives that their comments offend and hurt you. These comments are going to continue hurting and you will develop resentment over time, even if you manage to control it well. Communicating, especially in a rather close, intimate social circle is the best way. But not everyone has these kinds of families, believe it or not, some families treach every member with the respect they deserve. While heightism exists, not every short person suffers from it equally, and some people below average height have never experienced any form of serious discrimination. So in that sense, my statement "don't feel sorry for people for just being short" still applies.

Apoplectic

• Gliding Over All
« Reply #48 on: July 06, 2019, 12:03:33 AM »

I think for those with height neurosis it's impossible to assess how much of it is in your head or a product of how society treats short men.

I wish people who had the surgery would take this into account.For example has the surgery simply made them more comfatable with themselves or do people genuinely treat them better?

Personally I think it would be a combination of the two, but for anyone undergoing the surgery it would be something interesting to bear in mind when telling us how the surgery has affected your life.

177cmm

« Reply #49 on: July 06, 2019, 02:54:23 AM »

Well average in Poland is somewhere 178cm, no more, no less. In UK it lies around 176cm.
People lying about their height so much or they don't know their exact height and add 3-5cm.
Example, husband of my cousin is 181-2, I'm 181 around and he claims to be 188, same with my cousins, 188 one claims 191, 184 claims 188, third cousin (girl) who is 170 at the dot claims 173-4. Next my friends, 167 guy claims 170, 173 claims 176 and I can describe stories like that till death, well being 181 I'm new 185 wow

Bigdawg

« Reply #50 on: July 06, 2019, 05:05:56 AM »

@iwannabetaller. I dont think it is the same study i looked through it and it did not have the bogus 187cm height average they claimed the heighest was 184 from a tiny sample and total average was 182 cm

Bigdawg

« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2019, 05:12:39 AM »

@Panda Bear. What is it about fking round or even numbers that people like so much?  Like anyone notice that everyone sets requirements just based on even numbera like in bodybuilding forums "6,2" is the best height not 6'1 not 6'3 but 6'2 . i find it ridiculous same thing goes for 180 cm requirment in europe . no 179 isnt the best height nor is is it 181 or 183 its 180 lads it just sounds nicer 😄 haha

Bigdawg

« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2019, 05:36:41 AM »

I read two interesting things today some dude claimed the CDC measures their average height using foam slippers on the subjects in the study id it were true it could inflate the average heighr by at least a quarter inch or about half a centimeter . .

I did some research and looked up the nhanes anthropometry  procedure on google and it looks likw they do use slippers but only for weighing subjects not measuring height. Although one flaw in the study was that men were able to refuse to take off their shoes and the researchdr just used a ruler to measure the sole of the shoe and subtract thisnfrom the measured height of the subject  Obviously a sneaky man could be wearing lifts inside his shoes

Link to the foam slippers claim https://vdare.com/posts/height-and-weight-new-survey-of-blacks-whites-and-hispanics

Link to the

IwannaBeTaller

« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2019, 11:44:52 AM »

@iwannabetaller. I dont think it is the same study i looked through it and it did not have the bogus 187cm height average they claimed the heighest was 184 from a tiny sample and total average was 182 cm

It's the same study. Your link directly linked to the study (look for yourself). The 187 number was from one Croatian province only, however, the results were attained by measurement apparently.

Bigdawg

« Reply #54 on: July 06, 2019, 02:30:01 PM »

Yes youre right I see it now, however as I said esrlier the sample size was 27 men from one specific area. This is a very small sample size and I can see why they dont claim these 27 men represent all dalmatians in the study like in my article i linked
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up