Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bi-Lateral Stryde With Paley Consult Summer '19  (Read 7813 times)

permanentlybanned

Re: Bi-Lateral Stryde With Paley Consult Summer '19
« Reply #62 on: February 05, 2021, 09:19:48 AM »

.in my opinion if possible, slowing down lengthening is a good preventative for nerve damage reduction. Obviously with chance of preconsolidation that is not reality many times, and there is just an ether of uncertainty that isn't worth trying to figure out when it's your legs and a 10,000$ USD rebreak surgery on the line.
Permanently banned by Medium Drink of Water due to non-maliciously spamming one singular time.

OGfivesevener

« Reply #63 on: February 05, 2021, 06:02:48 PM »

Not great to hear that you still have shin numbness after all this time as I've noticed lately that a lot of people have had persistent shin numbness a year or more after surgery. I've been having lots of nerve issues and my shins have been numb since about 3.5mm, so I'm pretty sure I'm going to be one of the people who is going to have numb shins for a long time T_T Do you remember at how many mms lengthened that your shin numbness started?

Glad everything else is going well for you though!

I believe it was a little later than you. I know it sounds crazy to not think it a big deal, but it's hardly been a big deal this entire year. And it is very gradually getting better.

I am uncertain. But I have a feeling if I had kept up my stretching (I haven't) to anywhere near the extent they have us do in PT at Paley's, that the numbness could be improved faster.

You would think there'd be some motivation to stretch more. But nope lol

OGfivesevener

« Reply #64 on: February 05, 2021, 06:09:59 PM »

Still having shin numbness is crazy, does it vary patient to patient? Or do all llers experience nerve pain/numbness?

Sitting with ur legs at the same position and having pain a year after is also discouraging

Nothing i'd consider painful. Life is good. Legs are fine. Once rods are out and wounds healed. Then, things will really be good.

I remember being told a rough percentage of people getting nerve pain. Now I can't remember. The intensity varies quite a bit between patients. Mine really wasn't as bad as a few others. Come to think of it though, a good number of us that were there at the same time did have some degree of nerve pain.

I do believe that keeping up with stretches helps keep it from getting worse and alleviating. I would almost warn to expect to get it to some degree.

OGfivesevener

« Reply #65 on: February 05, 2021, 06:16:25 PM »

The more I keep hearing about shin numbness, the more I feel like I shouldnt surpass 7cm internal femurs. If I really want to grow taller after that, then 5cm tibias later down the road. Optimal recovery is very important for me

I went through this exact thought process. It was somewhere around 6-6.5cm where I was discussing things with Dr Robbins and he agreed with me on stopping at 7cm if I had concerns about the numbness. And he loves hearing when LLers take more cautious action.

I recall now that once I got to 7cm, I took a few days off lengthening before turning my ERC back in. It only took those 3 days (or 2) off of lengthening where everything just started feeling better. I was still stretching. That's all I needed to decide to continue on to 7.5.

So I recall letting everyone that started a bit behind me to have that as an option if they get to a certain point of exhaustion. A little break will do wonders.

OGfivesevener

« Reply #66 on: February 05, 2021, 06:25:16 PM »

Do you ever have to "think" about any daily activities? For example, getting in and out of low vehicles, standing up while sitting on a low stool, climbing/descending stairs with no handrails, etc.

Yessssss. All along the recovery period. Less frequently with certain activities as time goes on. And you get more confidence once Xrays show you're fully consolidated and you get the Ok from the docs.

I can't remember specifics and it'll vary with each LLer. I happened to consolidate pretty slowly. I believe I got the OK with my 9 month Xrays. I felt pretty decent at 6 months.

Now I can walk distances and do stairs as well as most. Getting up from a very low stool, my mind goes through the process of "Ok, here we go, a little stiffness to push pass". Sometimes I'll do a slight push off with my hands. But nothing where anyone notices or has a second thought.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up