Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Diary: Stryde Femurs with Dr. Paley September 2019  (Read 40183 times)

TheAlchemist

Diary: Stryde Femurs with Dr. Paley September 2019
« on: September 17, 2019, 06:18:43 AM »

Hey LL community,

I'm having my bi-lateral femur surgery (Stryde) with Dr. Paley later today. Starting a diary to share with the amazing community here.

Diaries were a valuable resource to help provide me with a raw glimpse into the LL journey. A big thank you to those veteran and current LLers who have shared their journeys with us. I hope my diary helps any current or future LLers with information to glean insights from and make informed decisions over. Any support and advice from veterans or current LLers for me during my journey will be very much appreciated!

STATS

Current Height: 5'8.5 or 174 cm at night (around 5'9 in the morning)

Goal: No crisp quantitative metrics here....my ultimate goal is to free myself of height neurosis. I don't want to get caught up in the numbers game, but personally that translates to an ideal gain ranging anywhere from 6 cm to 7 cm, with anything above deemed a bonus. I'd like to balance and optimize length and functionality. I'll listen to my body and take it day by day.

Family / Friends Doing this entirely solo - I've decided to keep this procedure private and haven't told any family or friends. The primary reason is I don't want my family and friends to worry about me as this procedure is pretty crazy in the eyes of the general public and my family/friends don't understand the depths and complexities  of height neurosis. Although having them around these challenging times would be amazing and incredibly helpful, I'm fairly independent and will push forward solo.

Caretaker Booked a care taker for the first week after discharge from the hospital (4 nights in the hospital post op until discharge.) Will play it by ear but planning on 3 days at 24 hours, and 8 hrs/day thereafter.

Living Situation Staying at one of the recommended Paley hotels.

Financing Paid for the procedure with my own hard earned cash. The fees for STRYDE femurs are all over the forum so please refer to those threads for info around costs.

About myself: I'm generally content and happy in the core areas of my life (career, family/friends, women). Overall I'd say I have a healthy sense of self worth and confidence and live life with an abundance mentality..... however, one area I'm not satisfied with is my height.

I've struggled with height dysphoria for the past 5 or so years. It has manifested itself into a shoe lift addiction where I don't leave the house without my 2 inch shoe lifts. It boils down to height dysphoria creating irrational limitations on living my best life. For example, although I was satisfied with my sxx life and the options I had, I realized the height dysphoria put a real constraint on building deeper connections with some of the women I grew closer to as I avoided situations where I had to take off my shoes which pretty much rules out any normal relationship (other than laying flat on my bed with them.)

Earlier this year it got to a point where I declined an important wedding of a close loved one simply because it was on a beach and the dress code was barefoot. At that point it became painfully obvious that I was making irrational decisions based on my height issues and was slowly living a life that was not congruent with my purpose or desired life experiences. 

It became clear that I needed to address the height dysphoria and I ultimately was left with two options, either 1) accept my current height at 5'8.5 and seek therapy to address the dysphoria or 2) explore LL.........Welp.....here I am a few hours away from my surgery. The main reasons I've come to this decision comes down to timing as a) I'm at this odd point in my life where my career, finances, and living situation allow me to afford the procedure and dedicate the massive amount of time required for it and b) the advent of the recent STRYDE technology and the game changing factor of being able to weight bear (timing is everything isn't it!?!?) Deep down inside I knew had I not gone forward with LL it would have been something I'd think about for the rest of my life and it's not so often where you are at a point in your life where you have the time and finances to do something as life changing as LL, so.....here I am!

One thing I want to make clear. I'm not doing LL for any external person or thing. My height has never presented itself as a real issue when it comes to my dating life, my career, or how my family/friends view me. The reality is I have height neurosis, a mental issue where I am not satisfied with my natural height and I'm addressing it through LL. I want to emphasize that I am doing this for me.

I did my research and had a short list of potential surgeons to go with but ended up with Paley simply based on his experience and reputation as the #1 LL surgeon in the world which I believe best stacks the odds of a successful outcome in my favor. 

Current Mood 40% nervous/ anxious, 40% excited, 20% WTF am I really doing this?!?!? I've been planning this surgery for quite some time now and have put off living my normal life (planning vacations, dating certain women long term, hanging out with friends) in anticipation of knowing I will be off the grid, dedicating 100% of myself to LL for at least 5 months.....so it goes without saying that I'm excited to get this show on the road.

The fear mostly stems from the solo aspect of all of this and the psychological challenges that come with solitude and loneliness. In fact, the psychological aspect of this scares me more than the physical aspect, which I know, will take every ounce of strength, patience, and determination to push through the pain and general physical limitations.

OTHER   I did quite a bit of planning/shopping for things leading up to my operation. I'll share that list with you guys once I've had a few weeks to really understand what worked for me and what didn't.

I also want to say thank you to the members of this community who have helped me along the way (too many to list, you know who you are!)

« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 07:07:07 AM by TheAlchemist »
Dr. Paley Patient: Femurs (Stryde) / 8 CM gained
Surgery: 9/17/19 / Distraction completed: 12/14/19
Start height: 5'9 or 175cm / Endi Height: 6'0 ft or 183 cm
Rod Removal: Dr. Debiparshad 6/16/21
Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=64373.0

wannagrowtaller

Re: Diary: Stryde Femurs with Dr. Paley September 2019
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2019, 06:45:10 AM »

I think you already have a good height and you have a good mindset. Hope everything goes fine for you. Wish you all the best.
Go for it

programdude

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2019, 06:57:19 AM »

Let me be the first(well, until there was a response while I was typing this up) to wish you all the best! What a coincidence I swung back by the forum right as someone in such a similar position was beginning their journey.

You honestly sound like a version of myself that had developed height dysphoria a few years sooner than I did. I really do think you will be completely cured if not feel MORE relief than me, so just remember the goal at the end of the tunnel.

Its a hard process in a lot of ways, but just remember that the pain and the isolation ENDS and that on the other side you will be an objectively better version of yourself- taller and with total peace of mind.

If you ever are feeling in the gutter or just want to compare and contrast with someone who has been in an essentially identical position always feel free to hit me up.
Dr. Paley Patient- Surgery completed successfully on July 22nd
My Diary for those who want a real play by play to know what to expect:http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=733.0

Starting height: 5 8
End Height-:5 11 +

E Z

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2019, 03:48:54 PM »

I wish you the best of luck brotha. one piece of advice, keep up with the pain medication every 4 hours. Do not let the nurses forget. It'll be a breeze for you if you do that. Once that medication wears off after 4 hours and you let it go and forget, it'll be hard to keep control and you will be uncomfortable.

InFullStryde

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2019, 07:55:36 PM »

Good luck, Alchemist!  Your story is relatable to many.   Let me know if you have any questions along the way and I'd be happy to advise.
"Make the BEST of what you have and Make what you have, the BEST"
InFullSTRYDE with Dr. Mahboubian - Jan 2019
Start Height/End Height: 5'1.25"/5'4.25"
Status: Gained 3" and Recovered Successfully! | Stryde Nails Removed: November 2020
Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=9671

Movie

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2019, 08:58:34 PM »

Best of luck bro, will be following up!
Starting height: 167cm Now 175cm With Strydes Femurs with Dr. Mahboubian 09/01/2019
Nails removed 10/06/2021
My Video Logged Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=64224.0

TheAlchemist

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2019, 12:31:21 AM »

Hey guys,

Well....it’s done. Happy to report back that the surgery went well. Currently in the hospital and resting. I know the next few days will be rough so I’m enjoying this medicated low pain state while it lasts.

I’ll update the diary and respond to questions  with a detailed recap in the next few days once I get back to the hotel. Thanks for all of the support and kind words. .

programdude

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2019, 06:23:46 AM »

Best advice for this phase is to just stay ahead of the pain as opposed to reacting as it gets severe. Good luck! You've got this.
My Diary for those who want a real play by play to know what to expect:http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=733.0

Dreamer57

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2019, 04:07:11 PM »

Hello Alchemist....I really wish you best of luck for your journey....And hope that everything will be awesome .....I am a future lengthner....N I'll be following your diary....!

TheAlchemist

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2019, 09:24:52 PM »

Yes! You're one of the taller guys on here, more relatable for me at 177cm. I have a couple questions if you dont mind.

1) are you going to take pictures and videos?

2) I lived in west palm beach my whole life, why do most people get their surgeries at the peak of hurricane season?

3)  are you considering tibias in the future to be over 6ft tall?

Wish you the best, PM me I would love to meet someone going through this.

1) Currently not planning on sharing any pics or videos due to privacy and not having the time to record/edit etc. We'll see as the journey progresses. May take a few videos during the consolidation phase to document how my walk/gait progresses. 

2) The timing had more to do with my career. I planned it during a time that is seasonally less demanding for me and my team and at a point where I received a substantial amount of stock awards vesting. The idea of a hurricane worries me from time to time, but totally out of my control.

3) No tibias in the future for me. Perfectly happy with 5'11 or 6 ft when all is said and done with femurs. I was fortunate enough to have experienced life with 2 inch lifts for the past few years, which put me at about 5'11.5 in shoes and I was content there. With this procedure if everything goes as planned I'll end up about half an inch above that so I expect to walk away satisfied with the results (6ft to 6'1 in shoes).

bgreeneee

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2019, 01:59:46 PM »

I’m an LLD guy with less planned growth but we’re doing this together for at least the first part of the journey...my surgery was just a day or 2 after yours. Best of luck to you, glad you have a caregiver for at least the first week... in watching Movie and with my own unilateral experience so far, very thankful for my wife to assist.

As I watch the bilateral cases with Stryde, it’s apparent that Paley and Dr M from LA have no hesitation about full weight bearing in the growth phase. My doctor is still playing it very conservative and still only recommending partial weight bearing since I have the luxury of 1 unaffected leg. Not sure how that will play out with me... time will tell how much I push the boundaries there!

PS. One of the things I so look forward to...walking barefoot in the sand! A little different twist to your story but the same net effect!

Dreamer57

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2019, 12:43:48 PM »

Alchemist.....Any updates....How are you holding up....I hope everything is fine....?

TheAlchemist

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2019, 03:29:43 PM »

Alright LL fam, it’s been nearly a week since my surgery and I’ll try to recap the journey so far.  So far so good , I’m doing well and in good spirits.  I’ll recap surgery day and the days after.

SURGERY DAY 0 -  9/17/19
To my surprise I was able to sleep the night before surgery despite having so much on my mind. Woke at 4:30 AM, went straight to the shower and washed myself off with a pre surgery antibacterial soap provided by the Paley team. As instructed, no food and limited water the night of surgery (cutoff was midnight the night before surgery.)

Ordered a Lyft and got to the hospital at around 6 AM as instructed. Cherished every step I took around the hospital as I knew it would be a long time till I’d be comfortably mobile on my own two feet again.

Mood/ Mental State: For the most part anxious and ready to get the show on the road. So much planning and anticipation over the past year for this moment, although there was much to be fearful about, I kept thinking about what awaits me on the other side of the finish line of this journey, what life will be like a year from now, living a happy, healthy life, and continuing to contribute to the world without the constraints of my personal mental issues surrounding my height. There is a thin line between excitement and fear/anxiety, and with this positive mindset I felt energized and excited, I truly felt like I was moving forward.

Surgery Prep:
They wheel you into the pre surgery room where the nurses take your vitals again and proceed to have you undress into your hospital gown and store your belongings in a security locker. 
Then one of the nurses shaves your legs around the surgery site.
They have you fill out a bunch of paperwork providing consent and defining liability, scary morbid stuff to read through, I scanned through it, said a prayer (not at all religious) and signed them.
Then, the anesthesiologist comes by and walks you through the process. I opted to go with a spinal block instead of an epidural to avoid the catheter, in hindsight am glad I did.
They put the IV in you, about a half hour later the anesthesiologist comes back and give you the “happy juice”, which contained fentanyl. I’m not here to glamorize drugs but there was in instant hit of immense euphoria, calmness, and a general happy numbness flowing throughout my body…my eyes rolled to the back of my head and a smile formed from cheek to cheek. It was an amazing high. Fentanyl is powerful stuff, and I can see why it’s an epidemic. A few seconds later the lights went out……

Surgery:
Woke up in a new room. Dazed and disoriented. Not knowing where I was, what time or date it was, or why I was there…..until an attractive blonde nurse comes in and informs me my surgery is done and was successful, its late afternoon, and I’m in recovery. I slowly gather my thoughts and am thankful to be alive and healthy. They take my vitals and I’m in good health. A feeling of immense gratitude and positive emotions fills my body.

Pain and other rehab: Virtually no pain. At a stand still pain is a 0. When you move your legs around pain is maybe a 1. The anesthesia lingers in your system for 24 hrs of so. On top of that, you are on a combination of Taradol, Tylenol, and Oxy.
Your lower legs are wrapped in an automated sleeve that intermittently squeezes and applies pressure to promote blood circulation.
Your thighs / femurs are elevated  wrapped in ice pad to help with the swelling.

Exercises: The PT comes in and teaches you three movements to help promote blood circulation and stimulate your muscles

1)   Toe/heel flexes – point your toes towards and your outwards 20x.
2)   Quad stretches- straighten out your leg so that the back of your knee makes contact with the bed (your legs tend to slightly bend.) 20x
3)   Squeeze your butt cheeks 20x

I was able to do all the above relatively easy, and did a few leg raises and 90 degree knee bends while laying down. PT and nurse were impressed.

Food: They bring you standard cafeteria food for dinner, a decent mix of protein ( meat), veggies and dessert.  I didn’t get any morphine so I didn’t feel nauseous at all and was able to clean my plate. Your body needs calories after experiencing so much trauma, so even after this meal, I was still hungry and ate a protein bar I packed which hit the spot.

Going to bathroom: I was able to urinate on surgery date relatively easy. As I mentioned earlier, I opted to not use an epidural and therefore I did not need a catheter. I felt the urge to pee the night of surgery. At this point the anesthesia is still in effect and your bodily functions are still slowly coming back, so with a little more effort I was able to pee into a urine bottle. Made a little mess but you learn as you go. 

Mood / mental state: Post surgery your body is  recovering from significant trauma. Although you don’t feel it thanks to the meds, you are constantly dipping in and out of sleep. I would say I’d be awake for 1 to 2 hrs, fall asleep for 2 to 3 hrs, and repeat.

Hospital Care: The nurses are great. They check on you frequently, probably every hour or so, and take your vitals every 4 hrs. My biggest fear for the surgery was fat embolism, and the nurses coming in, checking my vitals, seeing my oxygen levels at optimum levels, really eased my concerns.

Surgery Day Tips:
1)   Pack a long phone charging cord, at least 10 ft. Your bed is quite far from the power outlet in your hospital room.
2)   Pack tons of snacks and meal replacements. The hospital feeds you decent cafeteria food 3 times a day, but I personally don’t feel like it’s enough. you’ll be starving post op and your body will need calories and protein. I packed a bunch of protein bars and Cliff bars which helped a lot. 
3)   If you are hiring a care taker, you will NOT need them during your hospital stay as the round the clock service from the nurses is more than enough. You can call the nurses at your will, but they pop in frequently enough that I felt safe and watched over.
4)   The nurses won’t proactively provide you with oral hygeine care. Ask them for a tooth brush and mouth wash and they’ll provide.

Wow...didn't expect the surgery day recap to be this long, I'll follow up with recaps on the subsequent days later today....

PANDA:BEAR..

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2019, 07:53:55 PM »

Alchemist..... amazing update... stay strong... my friend  8)

Bastouille

• Visitor
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2019, 09:09:11 PM »

Hey man!  Good luck!  I'm 173cm and will be doing the surgery in February.

Question:  How's the sleep?  This is the part that terrifies me because i'm a poor sleeper, and I sleep on my side all the time.  I cannot imagine having to sleep on my back...
Going forward with Stryde nail in March 2019, in Canada.

MyEvolution

« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2019, 09:59:37 PM »

Don't be nervous dude femurs will go by. It'll hurt but you can 100% hit 8cm if you stretch 3x/day and you'll be pretty much fully recovered 1 yr later. dont leave anything on the table you'll regret it

TheAlchemist

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2019, 10:03:27 PM »

Let me be the first(well, until there was a response while I was typing this up) to wish you all the best! What a coincidence I swung back by the forum right as someone in such a similar position was beginning their journey.

You honestly sound like a version of myself that had developed height dysphoria a few years sooner than I did. I really do think you will be completely cured if not feel MORE relief than me, so just remember the goal at the end of the tunnel.

Its a hard process in a lot of ways, but just remember that the pain and the isolation ENDS and that on the other side you will be an objectively better version of yourself- taller and with total peace of mind.

If you ever are feeling in the gutter or just want to compare and contrast with someone who has been in an essentially identical position always feel free to hit me up.

Thanks programdude! Your journey and successful outcome served as a huge motivating factor for me. Your diaries raw, honest take on this experience was just what I needed, the good and the bad, and I'm trying my best to provide what you gave to me and many other LLers through my experience and STRYDE.
I’m an LLD guy with less planned growth but we’re doing this together for at least the first part of the journey...my surgery was just a day or 2 after yours. Best of luck to you, glad you have a caregiver for at least the first week... in watching Movie and with my own unilateral experience so far, very thankful for my wife to assist.

As I watch the bilateral cases with Stryde, it’s apparent that Paley and Dr M from LA have no hesitation about full weight bearing in the growth phase. My doctor is still playing it very conservative and still only recommending partial weight bearing since I have the luxury of 1 unaffected leg. Not sure how that will play out with me... time will tell how much I push the boundaries there!

PS. One of the things I so look forward to...walking barefoot in the sand! A little different twist to your story but the same net effect!

Thanks bgreenee! Best of luck to you as well! If you ever need someone to talk to or support feel free to reach out. Walking barefoot on sand would be  amazing - we'll get there soon my friend!
Hello Alchemist....I really wish you best of luck for your journey....And hope that everything will be awesome .....I am a future lengthner....N I'll be following your diary....!

Thanks Dreamer57. It really means a lot!

Good luck, Alchemist!  Your story is relatable to many.   Let me know if you have any questions along the way and I'd be happy to advise.

IFS! Thx for dropping in my diary. You are a legend in this community! You've helped so many and your diary serves as one of the most comprehensive, informative diaries out there. I really appreciate the well wishes!

I wish you the best of luck brotha. one piece of advice, keep up with the pain medication every 4 hours. Do not let the nurses forget. It'll be a breeze for you if you do that. Once that medication wears off after 4 hours and you let it go and forget, it'll be hard to keep control and you will be uncomfortable.

Thanks E Z! Yes totally agree, disciplined pain management and medication intake is so critical! So far I've been doing well with it, I'll get into it a bit in my next diary update!

I think you already have a good height and you have a good mindset. Hope everything goes fine for you. Wish you all the best.

Thanks man. Yes, all things considered 174 cm or 5'8.5 is a good height that I'm thankful for, but our minds and height neurosis are a strange, powerful thing and I believe LL is the the path forward for me to freedom of height neurosis. Thanks for the kind words!

Alchemist..... amazing update... stay strong... my friend  8)

Thanks PANDA! It's a battle every day, every hour, every minute, but I'm staying strong all the way through!
sta
Hey man!  Good luck!  I'm 173cm and will be doing the surgery in February.

Question:  How's the sleep?  This is the part that terrifies me because i'm a poor sleeper, and I sleep on my side all the time.  I cannot imagine having to sleep on my back...

Thanks Bastouille! Sleep was great until night 5 of the post op. The leg restlessness really starts to get to you and you realisically get 2 to 3 hrs of sleep at a time until the pain wakes you up. Luckily for me I naturally sleep on my back. Stay tuned, I'm experimenting with different ways to improve sleep. I will say that pain management is key. I'm going to try setting a timer every 4 hrs to take the pain meds throughout the night. Whenever I wake up, instead of trying to fight it, I'm going to stretch and move my legs to encourage blood flow to combat the pain. I tried Tylenol PM  and it definitely helped me snooze a bit longer.

Don't be nervous dude femurs will go by. It'll hurt but you can 100% hit 8cm if you stretch 3x/day and you'll be pretty much fully recovered 1 yr later. dont leave anything on the table you'll regret it

MyEvolution thank you! Your diary was awesome. It's a battle everyday but I know the benefits will be life changing. Your diary was inspiring. Hoping to meet you here while you are doing tibias!

Dreamer57

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2019, 06:37:19 AM »

Awesome man! Stay strong, soon you are gonna be a tall guy! Btw I am worried sick about fat embolism....What did Paley personally tell you about it? What are the chance of it happening? And about nerve damage? What did he tell you about that? Btw your updates are amazing and hopefully you are gonna be another of those successful diaries on the forum! Power to you!

TheAlchemist

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2019, 01:17:01 AM »

Awesome man! Stay strong, soon you are gonna be a tall guy! Btw I am worried sick about fat embolism....What did Paley personally tell you about it? What are the chance of it happening? And about nerve damage? What did he tell you about that? Btw your updates are amazing and hopefully you are gonna be another of those successful diaries on the forum! Power to you!

Fat embolism was without a doubt my biggest concern during my consultation with Paley. He said it's rare but each time it has happened it was detected and addressed and resolved with no issues. As a preventative measure, they drill holes in your femur bone to act as a venting mechanism to prevent fat embolism, as a detective measure, they are monitoring your oxygen levels in the hospital post op and would be immediately alerted if your O2 levels dropped (an indicator of fat emboli entering the lungs) where you would get immediate treatment.

There has been a diary here with someone who experienced it (BiLateral Damage) with Paley but they detected it and addressed it and he ultimately had a successful outcome. Out of all the patients I've talked to since I've been here, none of us have had issues with fat embolism.

As far as nerve damage goes, I also asked this question and Paley mentioned that he has no patients with long term cases of permanent nerve damages.

LL is a complex, significant procedure and there are real risks so its good you are thinking about these things. For me, it was about informing myself about the risks, and making a calculated decision about the costs and benefits.....and here I am. Good luck with your decision!

TheAlchemist

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2019, 02:32:36 AM »

Alright LL fam, it's been a week since my surgery and here's a recap. So far so good.

POST OP DAY 1

Pain Level: Average throughout the day was a 1. Peak was a 3 when they got me out of bed. I was surprised at how manageable the pain was. I know many other LLers have described this as one of the most painful days because this is the first time you get out of bed and use the walker. The nurse said many people cry or faint when they get of bed. For me, it wasn't bad at all, I used as much of my upper body as I could, maneuvering my way off the bed, and using my triceps to stand up with the walker, minimizing the work my legs had to do. From there, I was able to comfortably take little baby steps in and around my hospital room. Throughout the day the level 1 pain I could describe as the minor soreness in your legs after playing a game of basketball.

I attribute this pain management to 1) disciplined pain med intake, 2) thoughtful weight distribution and utilizing upper body accordingly, 3) consistent application of ice pads to my thighs/femurs and 4) mindfulness, staying calm, breathing, and not freaking out which I'll get into below.

Sleep: Slept like a baby. Would be awake for an hour or 2. Sleep for another 2 or 3. I'd be woken up by the nurses to take vitals, etc., but would go right back to sleep.

Mood/ Mindset: Positive. My biggest fear was the unlikely chance of death with fat embolism. Every time the nurse would check my vitals and report healthy O2 levels and blood pressure, I was thankful. With that behind me, I could now focus on recovery and PT. The pain meds, mainly oxy, didn't really get me high, you just feel a bit more relaxed and comfortably numb, but my mind was sharp enough to maintain the cognition required to read and respond to a few minor work emails. I was able to chat and make jokes with the hospital staff. Things are looking good.

Highlights: Getting on the walker and being mobile- feels great after being stuck in bed all day and night, it gives you back this sense of control. More PT. In addition to the three exercises we did on surgery date, we did two more. Leg lifts and knee bends. It's a bit difficult to get your muscles to do what you want them to initially, but once you get the first few down it get's easy, that muscle memory kicks in and it just feels heavier than usual. Pain increased to a 2, maybe 3 at most during these exercises, nothing unbearable.

POST OP DAY 2

Pain Level: Average throughout the day was a 1. Peak was a 2 or 3. Same as  Post Op day 1.

Sleep: Still sleeping like a baby. Loving this because sleep makes time go faster. I'm really only awake to eat, take vitals, take meds and PT. Spent a few hours browsing the internet and shooting off work emails.

Mood/ Mindset: Positive and surprised that the pain level was as low as it was. Was waiting for things to shoot up after hearing about the horror stories but it never happened. 

Highlights: Did PT again. Same routine as day 1 but took it a step further. Walker around the entire hospital floor, did a roundabout and back to my room. Steps are small, but I was moving along just fine. Continuing to eat tons of calories. I'm not a big guy, 5'9 and about 160 lbs, but I was all about calories. Would clean my hospital food plate and eat 2 or 3 Quest protein bars each day.

POST OP DAY 3

Pain Level: Average throughout the day was a 1. Peak was a 2 or 3. Same as the past few days. Still waiting on the pain to hit hard, but it never happened. Very thankful for this.

Sleep: Still sleeping like a baby. Time going by fast.

Mood/ Mindset: Positive and in good spirits. Time seems to be moving fast. I'm becoming friendly with the hospital staff. The fear of loneliness never hit, just chatting with my caretakers and PT was enough to feel connected to another human. Again, my biggest fear for this whole experience was the loneliness and solitude since I kept this a secret from friends and fam.

Highlights: Walking, walking, walking, on my walker. Still little baby steps but moving forward. PT gives you little gifts to take with you. A "grabber", basically an extended arm you can use to grab things off the ground, shoe horns, a mechanism to help you put socks on. They teach you how to put on a new set of clothes with these tools.

Dr. Paley and all the doctors dropped in to visit very quickly which was nice of them. If you end up doing Paley, you'll come to learn that he is a man of few words as he is super busy. We chatted briefly, he told me the surgery went well and was good to see me in good spirits.

It's only day 3 but I'm starting to see progress. Remember those leg raises? They become easier. I can go a little higher and hold them for a little longer.The steps on the walker? They get a little easier. My strides become more normal and my heel to toe form feels more natural.

POST OP DAY 4

Most people get discharged from the hospital on post op day 3. I could have totally gone home on post op day 3 but I decided to stay in the hospital another night for economic reasons. As part of the overall Paley fee, you get 4 nights in the hospital so that cost is baked in and included. I wanted to save money on my caretaker fees, as I would initiate the care taker hours upon hospital release, so I figured why not save an extra day of care taker costs since the nurses are basically more qualified, experienced, care takers?

Pain Level: Average throughout the day was a 1. Peak was a 2 or 3. Same as the past few days. Surprised I never had a moment where I wanted to scream, cry, or question it all.

Sleep: Still sleeping like a baby. Time going by fast.

Mood/ Mindset: Positive and in good spirits. Looking forward to my last day in the hospital and getting back to my hotel so I can be a bit more autonomous with things like work and getting on my walker (e.g. not having to wait for the nurse to take out my IV, etc.) .

Highlights: Walking on that walker. Did another round of the hospital floor, felt good.

My care taker came by the hospital to take me back to the hotel. Put me in a wheel chair and wheeled me over to his car. Getting in and out of the car wasn't that bad, again, utilizing my upper body to maneuver and rotate my body into his front car seat. At the most the pain was about a 3 when he had to lift my legs and rotate them into the front seat, but not bad at all.

Drove me back to my hotel and used my walker to get to my room. Home sweet home! Got into bed and felt great, the entire move was tiring since you are in a state of movement/transportation for over an hour or so. Felt comfortable in my bed and thankful to be back in good spirits. Started my ice packs, and taking meds in the hospital.

Got on my laptop and eased into some emails and netflix. I've been using a laptop bed stand, incredibly useful and highly recommended. Had my first bowel movement. This was a bit difficult because my toilet bowl seat was low and crouching down puts a lot of weight on your legs. I've since corrected this by installing a raised toilet commode and figured out better weight distribution.

Wow this post is really long, I'll get into the tips in another post!

TheAlchemist

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2019, 02:36:18 AM »

POST OP HOSPITAL STAY TIPS, RECAP AND PAIN MANAGEMENT

Okay so reading through other diaries, a lot of people describe the first few days in the hospital after the surgery as a nightmare. A lot of people have even said they fainted or cried the first day they got out of bed.

Meanwhile, my pain during this period never really went above a 3, and on average I hovered around 1 or 2. You would walk into my hospital room and see me chatting and laughing with the nurses. Everyone's experience is a bit different, and everyone has different pain tolerance. In hindsight, I think I have an above average threshold for pain, which has helped a lot, but here are a few things that helped me stay ahead of the pain.

1) Pain Med Discipline: So they have you on Toradol and Tylenol through the IV, staggered every 4 hours. This helps a lot. However, the oxy is given as needed based on what YOU communicate to the nurse as your pain level. I would tell my nurse I need pain meds every 3 or 4 hrs, and they would give me 5 or 10 mg of oxy. I set a timer on my phone, to inform my nurse So you see, I was never chasing the pain or reacting to pain, instead, I got ahead of the pain by taking a disciplined dosage of Toradol, Tylenol, and Oxy, at a fixed cadence. I don't encourage abusing this or getting hooked on the pain meds, just managing it wisely by staying ahead of it. As the pain crept up to a 2 or 3, I would take the meds before it went any higher (as opposed to waiting till it shot up to a 6 or 7 to bring it back down to a 3 or 4.)

2) Upper body strength and thoughtful weight distribution: Upper body strength is key to mobility during this time. Your legs are next to worthless. Stryde is a game changer, but all your legs are good for are taking little tiny baby steps, leg raises, quad stretches etc, you have to go in with the mindset that your legs will not be primary when it comes to functionality and mobility. That leaves you with your upper body- the key areas being your triceps to lift yourself up, your core (abs) to maintain stability, and your back (lats to pull yourself up, these areas of your body are working over time while your legs are taking a break. So getting out of bed, I would lift myself up using arms, use my core stabilize myself, and use my arms to move my legs along by lifting them little by little. When my feet touch the ground from the bed, I'm not pushing up with legs to stand, I'm extending my legs out so there is no weight on them, and using my arms to push my entire body up to get on the walker. When I'm on the walker, my arms and core are keeping my body stable and bearing most of the weight, with my legs just taking little baby steps. Occasionally I'd let go of the walker to see if I could stand, which felt fine, but still, any core movements and weight distribution were handled by my arms and core.

PRO TIP: If you have your surgery booked more than 3 months away, I would advise you to hit the gym and work out your upper body, build up strength and endurance in your triceps and shoulders, core abs, and back. They will offer incredible utility when your legs are gone.

Ice Pads Post surgery your legs are going through trauma. Ice those legs to keep the swelling down. The ice also helps with the pain as it numbs the area a bit. Remind the nurses to refill your ice pad bucket whenever you have the chance.

Mindfulness and meditation After this surgery, your body might go in shock because you're not use to this. Personally, I've never broken a bone in my body, so this was all new to me. There are new, weird, foreign feelings throughout your body, you don't know what to expect. During this rollercoaster of a time, it's best to stay cool, calm, collected and rationale. You hear something pop or feel a weird tingle in your leg as you get on your walker? Don't freak out, panic, have an anxiety attack, etc. That will only amplify your pain and trauma. Focus on the present, the task at hand, rationalize your thoughts, be aware that you are in a hospital surrounded by RNs and MDs, you are fine, embrace the new, weird, exeriences, and breathe. Continue to breathe. When my pain shot up to a 3 in a rare case where maybe my leg was dangling or angled weird when getting off the bed, I just took a deep breath and focused on the present. Sorry not trying to sound like a yogie guru, but breathing and mindfulness helps!

In summary, I'm thankful that my post op hospital stay was a success with low pain. Not trying to brag at all, because you'll see in my next update, right now I'm struggling with pain during the night, the kind of nagging pain that wakes you up.....I'm still trying to manage that, so it's not a walk in a park, there are real challenges in this journey. Stay tuned!

E Z

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2019, 04:41:47 AM »

Wow amazing update so far brotha. I'm going to compare it to my experience since it's still fresh on my mind... . I remember it being a nightmare to do transfers from bed to walker cuz my nurse wouldn't let me cheat and raise the bed lol. Transferring from car to walker on the way back was a nightmare (I had a 4 hour drive back home after leaving hospital)

Sitting on the commode was a nightmare for me till about 9-10 days post op. I'm talking 10/10 pain the first couple days.. My quads were just sooooooo tight.

My left leg was basically non existent the first 4 days. Till this day it bothers me and I can't move it laterally while in bed. Right leg is much stronger and 0 pain.

Awesome diary so far and I'm glad you're finding this easy even though it's not lol. After starting the lengthening the first 3 days I had sharp pains in my knees that would switch up from knee to knee (6-7/10 levels). No pain since then though and lengthening has been extremely smooth outside of pain on where your marker is that you just walk off after. Everyone's definitely different though, your body seems really strong and reacting well to everything.. don't mean to jinx u lol! Hopefully the trend continues wishing u the best!

Couple questions:

Are both your legs responding well to movements or is one stronger than the other?

Can you get in and out of bed by yourself?

Sorry if you mentioned this in an earlier post, but how was your flexibility pre-op?

JsElysianEagle

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2019, 06:50:34 AM »

E Z - when you say the pain was super intense when trying to sit, was that even with a heavy dose of pain meds, or without?

Dreamer57

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2019, 11:45:46 AM »

It would be awesome if you attach your latest x-rays !
Btw nice posts....Happy to hear that you are doing so good!

Dreamer57

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2019, 01:46:04 PM »

programdude

« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2019, 10:13:36 AM »

Knocking it out of the park with the posts! A lot more coherent than the early posts in my diary so it seems like you are doing great.

Good call emphasizing the importance of upper body strength, I can imagine the process being very hard(at least solo) if you aren't someone who works out.

Fingers crossed that things are going well in these rough days fresh out of the hospital, for me they were quite hard but as the body recovers slowly things transition from painful to boring.

I strongly recommend being sure to have whatever your preferred sleep aid is on hand incase you run into the difficulty with sleep that so many do. Once things settle down cumulative lack of sleep is really the biggest hurdle that can impede you.

TheAlchemist

« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2019, 04:40:06 PM »

Knocking it out of the park with the posts! A lot more coherent than the early posts in my diary so it seems like you are doing great.

Good call emphasizing the importance of upper body strength, I can imagine the process being very hard(at least solo) if you aren't someone who works out.

Fingers crossed that things are going well in these rough days fresh out of the hospital, for me they were quite hard but as the body recovers slowly things transition from painful to boring.

I strongly recommend being sure to have whatever your preferred sleep aid is on hand incase you run into the difficulty with sleep that so many do. Once things settle down cumulative lack of sleep is really the biggest hurdle that can impede you.

Thanks brotha! Yes, upper body strength has been my savior. I'm channeling my inner Lieutenant Dan from Forrest Gump whenever I move.

Sleep and pain throughout the night and morning has been my biggest obstacle these past few days. Right now I'm on Tylenol PM to help as a sleep aid, but I'm still waking up throughout the night due to the pain. I'm getting 6 hrs a day (cumulative made up of a couple 1 to 2 hr sleep/nap sessions broken up by pain) of sleep a day so far. Everyday is a battle but I'm doing ok all things considered.

Thanks man. Haven't got x rays yet, once I have that scheduled I will!

Wow amazing update so far brotha. I'm going to compare it to my experience since it's still fresh on my mind... . I remember it being a nightmare to do transfers from bed to walker cuz my nurse wouldn't let me cheat and raise the bed lol. Transferring from car to walker on the way back was a nightmare (I had a 4 hour drive back home after leaving hospital)

Sitting on the commode was a nightmare for me till about 9-10 days post op. I'm talking 10/10 pain the first couple days.. My quads were just sooooooo tight.

My left leg was basically non existent the first 4 days. Till this day it bothers me and I can't move it laterally while in bed. Right leg is much stronger and 0 pain.

Awesome diary so far and I'm glad you're finding this easy even though it's not lol. After starting the lengthening the first 3 days I had sharp pains in my knees that would switch up from knee to knee (6-7/10 levels). No pain since then though and lengthening has been extremely smooth outside of pain on where your marker is that you just walk off after. Everyone's definitely different though, your body seems really strong and reacting well to everything.. don't mean to jinx u lol! Hopefully the trend continues wishing u the best!

Couple questions:

Are both your legs responding well to movements or is one stronger than the other?

Can you get in and out of bed by yourself?

Sorry if you mentioned this in an earlier post, but how was your flexibility pre-op?

Thanks brotha! Happy that you have moved forward from those nightmare-ish times.

1) My right leg is definitely stronger than my left, but my left is more flexible than my right. I can get through all PT motions with both my left and right leg, but there are certain elements of PT where one leg is easier than the other.

2) Yes, I am able to get in and out of bed myself. The mornings are the toughest as your legs are super stiff from restlessness the whole night. In the morning, I usually warm them up by doing heel/toe flexes and quad flexes for 5 to 10 min. I may take Tylenol for pain relief if needed. I let me upper body do most of the work for getting out of bed. I sit upright, rotate my body to the side of the bed using my arms and core. If needed, I'll lift my legs with my arm to rotate them, I also have a leg lifting extension from the hospital to aid in this. Once I have my feet off the side of the bed, I'll extend my feet as far away form the bed as possible to put less weight on them. Then I'll push myself up with my arms, and then get my feet under me. From there I'll reach for my walker and transition to my walker.

Outside of the morning, after I get my PT session in and my legs warmed up, with Tylenol on board, getting in and out of bed is not bad at all.

3) My flexibility pre-op sucked, especially my hamstrings. 6 months pre- op I could not touch my toes while standing or seated on the ground. Then, 3 months pre - op, everyday I spent 30 minutes working on stretching. I made some progress and before my surgery I was able to touch my toes. Right now post op, I'm still able to touch my toes while seated on floor.

TheAlchemist

« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2019, 04:51:58 AM »

POST OP DAY 10

Approaching midway through week 2. It's been a battle. A recap of the past couple of days and nights.

Pain
The pain has risen to a 4/5 throughout the night, peaking at a 6/7 at its worst. There were times were I had to vocalize the pain, even finding myself yelling or screaming.  Laying still throughout the night gives rise to restlessness in your legs which leads to pain, and although I can get sleep sessions of 2/3 hrs during the night, when the restlessness sets in the pain is strong enough to wake you up and keep you awake in agony. The pain is like living with a bruise throughout your thighs where pressure is constantly being applied to it (imagine someone poking or squeezing your bruise). I've found that there is no sense in fighting the pain, the best solution I've found is to make the most of that time and do PT/stretch. Doing PT beats staring at the ceiling in pain, might as well make it productive. It distracts the mind and gives you a sense that you are somehow moving forward. Outside of that, I've tried to set alarms every 3 hrs and 30 minutes to take pain meds (Tylenol) so I have a steady dose on board throughout the night. I've also added heat pads to my arsenal, this help a lot to relax your muscles and ease the pain.

In addition to the generic leg pain, around day 8 I developed concentrated pain in my knee. I would describe it as a throbbing, intermittent pain, that comes and goes for a few seconds. When it hits I'd say it could escalate to a 7/8 level pain, and I can only endure it because as I said, it's a throbbing pain that last for a few seconds, then leaves. Honestly, the worst part is not knowing when it's going to come again. There's no rhyme or reason. I've messaged Paley's team and hope to get it checked out soon.

The mornings are rough. The lack of sleep starts to compound (I'm now averaging 4 to 6 hrs a night) and you wake up stiff and in pain (level 4/5). It takes patience and a whole lot of determination to get out of bed and push through the pain each morning. Once you wake the legs up and get the blood flowing (and get the meds to kick in) you bring the pain down to a 2/3 and that's when you truly start your day.

During the day, the pain isn't a huge issue. Thanks to stretching 3x a day, keeping myself active with walking (still using my walker), and disciplined pain med intake, I'm able to manage the pain to a 2/3 where at times it may peak at a 4.

Mobility
I still rely on my walker, but I'm able to walk comfortably, heel to toe, no swaying, with the majority of the weight on my feet. My goal is to ditch the walker by the end of week 3 and use a combination of my cane and crutches.

I can get in and out of bed pretty comfortably by utilizing my upper body and decent to good lateral movement with my legs.

Physical Therapy, strength and stretching

I started PT exactly 1 week after the surgery, I'm 4 days deep right now. So far, so good. . The PT's give you a set of stretches and strength exercises that you go through 3x a day (2 at home, 1 at Paleys). They are challenging, but doable, and honestly, when completed, they are rewarding. Based on feedback from all the PTs my flexibility and strength are good for week 2. My hamstrings are doing well, I can still touch my toes while seated. My quads are just decent, I'm able to meet expectations with strength and stretch exercises.

A lot of the stretches really require another person for you to get the most out of the stretch. People who come with friends/family who can help them stretch will really benefit from that, as for some stretches you can only get about 50% effective by yourself....highly recommend that you come with friends/family unlike me.

I know that the more I lengthen, the harder it will be to stretch, so I'm doing my best to get ahead of the curve now. I actually look forward to PT. Probably because it gets me out of my hotel room.

Independence

If you are doing LL solo without family and friends, everyone else's diaries are right, you will need to hire a caretaker during week 1 and 2. From a risk management perspective, you just need someone looking over you to make sure you are healthy. Everything takes longer to accomplish. Getting to and from the bathroom, brushing your teeth, dropping something and needing to pick it up...there's really no room for error, so you want someone there to assist you.

My caretakers for the most part have been solid. I don't have a dedicated one unfortunately, I had 3 that rotated. One was pretty much useless, so got rid of her. Although I am  dissapointed that they limit the amount of assistance they can provide for PT at home, I want them to help push me during my stretches, but due to liability the agencies don't allow them to.

Mood and Mindset

Still positive despite the pain at night. Although the evenings have become nightmares, the positive mindset comes from the belief that I'm at the low point, as other diaries have pointed out, week 1 and 2 are hell weeks, and while the rest of the journey is no walk in the park, it gets better from week 1/2, the sense of only going up from here gives me hope.

The isolation and loneliness hasn't gotten to me....yet. Between managing pain, resting, PT 3x a day, and everything taking longer due to being crippled, there isn't a lot of idle time to feed depression and loneliness. I'm constantly working on something or trying to find a solution to something. From a social perspective, honestly, LL has been a unique social experience, I've come to Florida with no identity and no consistent contact with my family, friends or coworkers back home. So I've been more proactive about making social connections with other LLers here at my hotel or at Paleys during PT. I've even found some of my caretakers to be interesting and cool to chat with. It's put me out of my comfort zone, but in a good way. Let's see how long this will last. I can see this going south after some time here. I'm hoping that if my pain and condition improves over time so will my ability to focus on other matters (dedicating a few hrs a day comfortably reading, hobbies, skillsets.)

Dreamer57

« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2019, 01:45:59 PM »

Keep going brother....Just think about the reward at the end....You r gonna taller...! Best of luck keep fighting...!

bgreeneee

« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2019, 02:18:00 AM »

Great update Alchemist. Nights are hard with my 1 leg...with 2 legs I’d be a wreck...I just added Ambien yesterday since I pretty much felt like I hadn’t slept in a week...worked well but I’m hopeful I don’t have to use it consistently. I had some weird dreams but got almost 6 hours of sleep with only 1 bathroom break.

So far I haven’t had the pain but it may come soon, I’m a few days behind you. Going solo is rough, glad you’ve found some decent help.

Bastouille

• Visitor
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2019, 03:04:28 PM »

Hey man,

try CBD.
I was a heavy insomniac on medication and cbd is the only supplement that made me stopped, magically, overnight.  I sleep better now and I will sure be using this to calm me and ease the pain without any mind-altering effect.  Not sure why nobody here seems to be using this.

Some researches even claim that it helps bones grow stronger and fuse faster in trials...  hopefully it doesn't fuse too fast ;)

Good luck with the pain, it should get better very soon.
Going forward with Stryde nail in March 2019, in Canada.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up