Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Diary: Stryde Femurs with Dr. Paley September 2019  (Read 40159 times)

TheAlchemist

Re: Diary: Stryde Femurs with Dr. Paley September 2019
« Reply #62 on: November 13, 2019, 04:17:49 AM »

Day 57 - 5 CM

Just hit 5 CM. I'm just a hair under 5'11 in the morning and around 5'10.5 in the evening. At this stage I'm starting to count down the days to finishing distracting (goal is 7 to 8 cm). It's a battle everyday but I'm locked in and trying to finish strong! Let's get it!

Pain

The numbness and nerve pain in my left shin has persisted. Numbness occurs throughout the day and a painful shooting burning / electric shock pain (level 6 or 7) occurs a couple times a day for a few seconds. The pain is aggravated when I'm in certain positions (e.g. when my feet are dangling). I've been taking Gabapentin, a nerve medication prescribed by the doc, for the past few days and hoping this helps, will keep you guys posted.

Everything feels a lot stiffer.....quads, hamstrings, hip abductors, and groin and I feel like it's going to get tougher and tougher down the final stretch. As a result my gait has gotten a bit more robotic and I tend to waddle due to the tightness of my hips and weakness in my glutes.

The general nagging, dull pain persists which consists of a combination of the stiffness, random muscle/ligament pains throughout my legs, and the nerve pain. Probably a 2 or 3 at its worst, but very challenging as it is impossible to ignore and leaves you uncomfortable throughout the day.

PT pain is certainly there and can go up to a 4 or 5 in a deep stretch but I don't mind it as it's a concentrated and controllable pain. I go into each PT session with the mentality that pain is my b1tch and go through the motions. The nagging, dull pain throughout the day, although much lower, is by far a lot worse than the PT pain because it never goes away and is impossible to ignore.

Flexibility

Every day everything gets stiffer. It's hard to stay motivated and stretch but I've pushed through and upped my stretches to 6x a day- consisting of 3 big ones that involve both strength and stretching, and 3 little ones that focus on stretching hamstrings and quads.

I try to keep a cadence where I do a stretch every 3 to 4 hours during the day. I find that if you take a long break from stretching, your body gets stiff really quick, and it's difficult to catch up and PT becomes an uphill battle. Increasing the frequency of stretching keeps things loose. Seems like common sense but I've met LLers who do 3 stretches in the morning over a 3 hour span and call it day and complain about stiffness.

PT said I'm doing well and my range of motion is good, going to try to keep it going.

Sleep

Averaging about 5 hrs of sleep a night. Tylenol PM still does the job. Heating pads help me ease into the deep sleep. I continue to make sure to do a stretch session right before going to bed to keep me loose through the night.

Mood / Mindset

Definitely the hardest part. The monotony and general boredom gets to you. I would love to engage in a mentally stimulating activity or hobbie but as I've said in previous entries, the dull nagging pain makes it hard to focus on anything or perform cognitive work. I would say at 5 CM, knowing I'm > the half way point helps me stay positive. I can't wait to get out in the real world again although I know I'm far from it.

Although I'm only at 5 cm, I can happily say that the height dysphoria is fading away. Going from 5'9 to 5'11 is huge as I've transitioned from being statistically just under average to just on the verge of becoming tall. 90% of women are all shorter than me, and 6 ft guys, who used to feel like giants, all seem within range. I used to wear lifts every day and don't see the need to going forward....great feeling. I look in the mirror and am happy with my height. My overall body proportions feel better, I've always had a longer torso/longer arms. My leg proportions definitely look as though my femurs are on the longer side, but I don't mind as situations where this would come up are rare.

I still have another inch to go so I'm looking forward to the final outcome.

Dr. Paley Patient: Femurs (Stryde) / 8 CM gained
Surgery: 9/17/19 / Distraction completed: 12/14/19
Start height: 5'9 or 175cm / Endi Height: 6'0 ft or 183 cm
Rod Removal: Dr. Debiparshad 6/16/21
Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=64373.0

Movie

« Reply #63 on: November 13, 2019, 11:09:09 AM »

Hahaha I like the mentality you go into PT sessions with  ;D

I'm glad you're starting to see the light at 5 CMS bro! a bit more and you'll be right at your goal in no time, keep pushing bro I'm at day 11 of consolidation and already the nerve pains lowered significantly, you got this!
Starting height: 167cm Now 175cm With Strydes Femurs with Dr. Mahboubian 09/01/2019
Nails removed 10/06/2021
My Video Logged Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=64224.0

MyEvolution

« Reply #64 on: November 13, 2019, 05:58:41 PM »

Amazing dude 5cm means you’re ONLY 20-30 DAYS FROM BEING DONE!! Don’t think of it as counting down the days.. this is an opportunity you will never get back again. You have 20-30 days of opportunity left. I highly recommend you go to 8cm because it is safe to do so and you will recover

Idk if u r but try sleeping on ur sides, two pillows in between ur legs (one between theighs one betweens feet) and one pillow near ur side to kinda “hug” it helps me sleep like a baby even with night splints on

What is your stretching routine? I found that last year i only had to stretch 4x/day sometimes 3x/day and i hit 8cm pretty well!

You got this brother i believe in you! I just hit the 5’9 range hoping to get close to your 5’11 range

OGfivesevener

« Reply #65 on: November 16, 2019, 03:39:39 AM »

Keep it up dude! Almost there.

The side sleeping like myevol stated was good for my rotation as well.

TheAlchemist

« Reply #66 on: November 23, 2019, 04:10:17 PM »

Day 68 - 6CM - 5'11+ height

Reached 6CM last night! Getting closer to that distraction finish line and I'm locked in on finishing strong. I'm setting my goal at 7.5 cm to 8 cm now so just 2 to 3 weeks of distraction left. Counting down the days and knocking out the stretches!

6 CM feels amazing. I feel like a strong 5'11+ in the morning now. At this height I can comfortably say I'll never wear shoe lifts again for the rest of my life. This is a huge deal for me because my height dysphoria manifested itself through randomly putting lifts in my shoes a couple of years ago. At 5'11+ I feel an amazing sense of FREEDOM from that insecurity that I can't describe or put a value on.

Pain

The nagging dull pain from general tightness in the hamstrings, quads, glutes, and hip increases the more you lengthen. About a 2 level pain throughout the day that is impossible to ignore. At times, I'll feel a sharp shooting level 6 or 7 pain in my knee that will last a few seconds.

The nerve pain and numbness persists in my left leg and has creeped down to around my ankle area. I still get sharp burning / electric shock pains (level 3 or 4) a few times a day.

I've increased my Gabapentin dosage to 900 mg / day which I believe has helped minimize the super painful burning nerve pain episodes.

Still taking Tylenol for overall pain.

Walk, Stretching and Physical Therapy

I'm putting in that work and stretching 6x a day! Guys...outside of individuals who are naturally super flexible and/ or young.....your success in LL is directly related to the amount of work you put in with stretching. Make stretching and PT your number 1 priority during LL. It's been an uphill battle for me, pre op I was average to below average in flexibility and I've had to put in countless hours of stretching to battle through this but let me tell you that it pays off! My Physical Therapists tell me that I'm ahead of the curve in terms of flexibility and strength at 6 CM.

As for my walk/gait, I continue to use a cane for balance and minor weight distribution. Inside my hotel room I usually walk independently. After a PT session when I'm loose, I can walk well, feet together, heel to toe action, and minimal waddle/swaying.

Mood / Mindset

Locked in with the mindset of finishing out this distraction phase strong. Each day is the same...stretch, eat, sleep, repeat. It's mechanical and monotonous but knowing the end of the distraction phase is approaching feels good. The tightness is an uphill battle. Once you cross 5 CM every millimeter gets you soooo tight and you have to respond with even more rigorous and dedicated stretching. The last inch of distraction is the true test of LL, your ability to push through it makes the difference.

Since I've kept LL private from friends, family, and co workers, I'm mentally preparing myself for reintroducing myself to them at 6 ft. I'm hoping most won't notice since I've been wearing 2 inch lifts for the last couple of years lol.

That's about it guys. To my fellow LLers going through it, keep pushing! Let's finish strong!

Dreamer57

« Reply #67 on: November 25, 2019, 03:39:43 AM »

Wow! It sounds so good! Keep going man! Just a few days left! Btw if you have any latest x-rays would you post them? Because I'm doing some research n it would really be awesome if you could....

Also how are you surgery incisions? Have they recovered?

And what is Dr. paley's opinion about femur lengthening...did he say you can be back to normal in terms of walking and running if not intense sports?

What did Dr. Paley say about fat embolism?

It would be so cool if you could answer these....

Best of luck, keep going!

TheAlchemist

« Reply #68 on: December 01, 2019, 09:41:11 PM »

Wow! It sounds so good! Keep going man! Just a few days left! Btw if you have any latest x-rays would you post them? Because I'm doing some research n it would really be awesome if you could....

Also how are you surgery incisions? Have they recovered?

And what is Dr. paley's opinion about femur lengthening...did he say you can be back to normal in terms of walking and running if not intense sports?

What did Dr. Paley say about fat embolism?

It would be so cool if you could answer these....

Best of luck, keep going!

Private person so won't be posting x rays, sorry man!

Surgery incisions are all healed up. Still have visible scarring.

Paley believes that at around 6 to 7 months post op sports / running is achievable if the patient is disciplined with physical therapy.

Paley said fat embolism does happen but is rare. There are preventative and detective measures that he exercises to help mitigate the risk.

TheAlchemist

« Reply #69 on: December 01, 2019, 10:09:08 PM »

I wanted to share my thoughts on an LL buying guide. These items were absolutely essential to survival during my LL journey. I didn't include certain things that I assume you'd receive from the hospital (e.g. walker, crutches, cane, etc.)

1. Laptop Desk for Bed- Important for working, laptop use, and eating while laying down comfortably in bed. You will be laying in bed A LOT during the journey. Sitting down in a chair is difficult beyond 30 min and is not a great position for your IT bands. Highly recommend this to make the most out of your lying in bed experience.

2. Leg Strap for Stretching - Important for hamstring and quad stretches

3. Stretching Table / Massage Table - Way more effective than stretching on a bed. You need a hard, comfortable, raised surface to get the most range and stability during you stretches. While the bed will work....you tend to sink into the bed which works against you during certain stretches.

4. Extension grabber - Reaching for things can be difficult (e.g. things you dropped or things up high).

5. Raised Toilet Commode - Sitting down in low positions (e.g. toilet) is tough and especially painful during the first month post op.

5. Heat pads (pain relief for legs) - These were life savers. I sleep with them on. The heat really helps manage the pain. Also works to help loosen up your legs before a stretching session. Would recommend using after first month post op or as dr. advises as you don't want to heat fresh surgical wounds and risk infection.

6. Ice Pads- Helps with post surgery wound swelling and pain. Incredibly useful during the first month post op.

7. Loose fitting clothing with zipped pocketing - Baggy shorts / pants that are easy to put on and don't constrain movement. Zipped pockets are good for transporting stuff securely. Pain in the ass when you drop something and need to bend down to pick it up while in pain....use secure pockets.

8. Bathroom mats / traction- Your footing will be compromised during this journey. Put bathroom mats in the bathroom to help prevent slipping and falling.

9. Loofa with long arm- Helps to reach down low when washing your body.

10. Bath wipes - first couple of weeks is tough to shower. Bathroom wipes help keep you clean and smelling fresh.

11. Convenient efficient food sources high in protein and other essential nutrients - No time or energy to cook, clean and do dishes during LL...efficient calorie assumption such as Soylent, meal replacements, and protein bars are great.

12. Portable water jug and Brita Filter- Drink tons and tons of water during LL!

13. OTC meds and vitamins- Tylenol extra strength during the day and Tylenol PM during the evening. Zzzquil as a sleep aide. Vitamin D, calcium, and magnesium for bone health.

Dreamer57

« Reply #70 on: December 02, 2019, 03:19:13 PM »

Thanks man....awesome post!
You said you are a private person and don't want to reveal any details....I totally respect that, and I would be doing the same if I was in your place....bt I'm still not sure of x-ray will reveal anything about you....I mean x rays are just some black and white images of your bones and how would those invade your privacy......finally it's your decision.....bt I would insist you to post the x-ray as they will help me a lot in my research abt bone formation and alignment....though it won't cause any harm to your privacy!

Nestor

« Reply #71 on: December 02, 2019, 04:59:01 PM »

Great list dude! Do you find the Zzzquil makes a real difference? I might give them a try, I'm getting almost no sleep with leg pains each night

TemakiSushi

« Reply #72 on: December 02, 2019, 05:10:50 PM »

If X-rays are out here, doctor or staff will know who he is
Some people don’t like that
There’s been lots X-rays in the forum already, they can be helpful to learn about callus
Plan to have Stryde TIBIAS surgery with Donghoon
Welcome any NEGATIVE information of Donghoon
Any doctor with more than 5% complication rate is NOT acceptable

TemakiSushi

« Reply #73 on: December 02, 2019, 05:21:20 PM »

Great list dude! Do you find the Zzzquil makes a real difference? I might give them a try, I'm getting almost no sleep with leg pains each night
Oh you haven’t been taking sleeping pills
How about oxycodone?  Many take oxycodone when pain is too strong to sleep
Better to control pain and do harder rehabilitation than doing easier rehabilitation due to pain
Some even receive shots just before the vigorous PT sessions

Nestor

« Reply #74 on: December 02, 2019, 05:28:32 PM »

Nah I've been taking no sleeping pills at all, just Tramal and paracetamol. Is it safe to take sleeping pills with the other medications? I haven't had a proper nights sleep in about 3 weeks and it's taking it's toll. I work hard in physio but it's hard to recover when you're not getting enough shut eye

TemakiSushi

« Reply #75 on: December 02, 2019, 05:44:15 PM »

About mixing of pills, better to consult your doctor

At least I know many take oxycodone for strong pains
Sometime tramadol is not strong enough I heard
For sure it’s hard to do strong rehabilitation with pains and not enough sleep
Some people are worried about oxycodone addiction but if it’s for a several weeks of controlled dosage, no problems

TemakiSushi

« Reply #76 on: December 02, 2019, 05:59:40 PM »

Also some get better pain control with tramset than tramadol

TheAlchemist

« Reply #77 on: December 09, 2019, 01:13:19 AM »

Just hit 7.4 CM guys. I've decided I'm going to try to max this nail out and hit 8 CM!! I'm very happy with my height right now, just at 6ft in the morning so the remaining 0.6 cm will be a plus.

The last phase of this journey to 8cm is going to be a battle. At around 7 CM I started to get pretty tight and I had to limit my daily distraction rate down from 1 mm/day to 0.75 mm/ day, and then down to .5 mm/day over the past few days. I feel much better now but I really want to finish this by 12/15 so I'm going to go back to 1mm / day straight through the remainder of this week.

It's going to be tough and I know I'll get tight but I'm going to try and power through. Going to stretch 5x a day and use meds as needed. The journey through distraction has been a hellish trip but I can see the finish line.  Wish me luck guys.

farfan21

• Visitor
« Reply #78 on: December 09, 2019, 05:10:10 AM »

Hey The Alchemist, just wanted to let you know you've been very helpful and inspirational for a lot of potential LL lengtheners out there! I did my consultation a few weeks ago with dr paley and am scheduled for surgery in the summer. I'm a little scared but I hope in the end the whole process will pay off. Hope you finish strong and reach the 8 cm!!! Please please keep on updating us

E Z

« Reply #79 on: December 09, 2019, 06:35:11 AM »

Good stuff dude. Max the hell outta thing and never look back.

Where are you most tight?

TheAlchemist

« Reply #80 on: December 09, 2019, 08:27:11 PM »

Good stuff dude. Max the hell outta thing and never look back.

Where are you most tight?

Thanks man! Definitely my hamstrings and to a lesser extent my quads. Been doing stretches that focus on those areas. Also walking a bit more to stretch those out as well.

E Z

« Reply #81 on: December 10, 2019, 02:23:24 AM »

Thanks man! Definitely my hamstrings and to a lesser extent my quads. Been doing stretches that focus on those areas. Also walking a bit more to stretch those out as well.
I can tell you it gets infinitely better once you stop lengthening. Like immediately a day after stopping the distraction, I felt my hamstrings opening up a bit!

Hopefully it goes by quick for ya man! Good luck

Dreamer57

« Reply #82 on: December 10, 2019, 04:20:04 AM »

You got a diary here? Ez?

TheAlchemist

« Reply #83 on: December 15, 2019, 04:32:03 PM »

Day 89- 8 CM!!

I reached 8 CM last night!! What an amazing feeling. Not going to celebrate just yet.....I reached 8 CM per my ERC machine....tomorrow I have my x rays and follow up appointment at Paleys and will look to confirm that everything is aligned at 8 CM...if so I will finally be done with distraction!! Will report back then!

Nestor

« Reply #84 on: December 15, 2019, 04:51:27 PM »

Congrats dude hell of an achievement! Hope all goes well with the x-rays

Movie

« Reply #85 on: December 15, 2019, 08:22:26 PM »

Congrats bro!
Starting height: 167cm Now 175cm With Strydes Femurs with Dr. Mahboubian 09/01/2019
Nails removed 10/06/2021
My Video Logged Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=64224.0

TheAlchemist

« Reply #86 on: December 17, 2019, 02:12:43 AM »

It's official, today I had my x-rays done and my last check up with the doc, both legs are perfectly aligned and I maxed out the nail at 8 CM!!! I am 3.15 inches taller! I'm walking away with a new height of 6 ft and it feels amazing! 

This has been one of the most powerful experiences of my life. The journey was incredibly challenging and pushed me to the limit both mentally and physically. I've put in 100's of hours of disciplined stretching, 100's of hours of meditation and concentrated pain management. I've sacrificed so much of my professional career and personal life. I can honestly tell you it was worth it.

After dealing with height neurosis over the past 5 years I finally feel free. After a 5 year addiction to shoe lifts I can throw them all away- No more shoe lifts. I can now walk barefoot freely without a second thought. I can have sxx in the shower lol. I feel reborn. I couldn't be happier with the outcome. This has changed my life.

Next steps for this diary: I'll try to update my journey through consolidation. I'll try to add a video in the next week or so of my walk. It's been about 48 hours since my last distraction turn on the ERC and I already feel much looser. I'm going to continue to do daily PT through consolidation and work hard to get my walk/gait back! The journey isn't over yet....

Side bar: Paley and the PT team were great. The Stryde nail is an incredible piece of technology and a complete game changer.

Dreamer57

« Reply #87 on: December 17, 2019, 04:22:58 PM »

It's official, today I had my x-rays done and my last check up with the doc, both legs are perfectly aligned and I maxed out the nail at 8 CM!!! I am 3.15 inches taller! I'm walking away with a new height of 6 ft and it feels amazing! 

This has been one of the most powerful experiences of my life. The journey was incredibly challenging and pushed me to the limit both mentally and physically. I've put in 100's of hours of disciplined stretching, 100's of hours of meditation and concentrated pain management. I've sacrificed so much of my professional career and personal life. I can honestly tell you it was worth it.

After dealing with height neurosis over the past 5 years I finally feel free. After a 5 year addiction to shoe lifts I can throw them all away- No more shoe lifts. I can now walk barefoot freely without a second thought. I can have sxx in the shower lol. I feel reborn. I couldn't be happier with the outcome. This has changed my life.

Next steps for this diary: I'll try to update my journey through consolidation. I'll try to add a video in the next week or so of my walk. It's been about 48 hours since my last distraction turn on the ERC and I already feel much looser. I'm going to continue to do daily PT through consolidation and work hard to get my walk/gait back! The journey isn't over yet....

Side bar: Paley and the PT team were great. The Stryde nail is an incredible piece of technology and a complete game changer.

Congratulations bro! Happy for you....Waiting for your video!

TheAlchemist

« Reply #88 on: December 23, 2019, 12:27:52 AM »

Day 8 of Consolidation

Update after just over a week since my last distraction. I'm staying/hiding out in Florida to recover before I head back home. I want to return home with a normal walk / gait by March 2020 and I'm going to work hard over the next few months to accomplish that. Here are my observations so far:

1) Pain levels have improved. I still have a bit of tightness in my hamstrings and quads as well as persistent nerve pain throughout my left shin and ankle (about a level 1 or 2 out of 10) but every day it gets a tiny bit better. I'm still taking Tylenol PM (mainly as a sleep aid) and Gabapentin for the nerve pain.

2) I'm doing self physical therapy 2x a day. As many others have mentioned, the strategy around PT changes as you transition from distraction to consolidation - with the emphasis moving from stretching and now onto regaining strength.

The biggest obstacle towards a normal walk and gait is my weakness around my gluteals and hip abductor muscles, areas where you lose a lot of strength after the surgery trauma and general lack of walking and movement. Weakness in the gluteals and hips creates the "waddle" walk and slight APT as well as fatigue after walking small distances. I've put together a gluteal and hip abductor strength program that I do each day.

As for stretching, I still do it daily but have toned it down a bit as I generally feel much looser now as each day your body naturally slowly adjusts to the new length. The fact that I had a rigorous stretch routine during distraction helps a lot as I'm relatively loose compared to other patients who have started consolidation.

3) Consolidation is a true test of patience. During distraction you're deep in the trenches and you are in a battle against tightness and pain as you fight to get taller, it keeps you occupied and gives you a distinct purpose and you just take each day at a time. 

During consolidation you feel much better and you find yourself desperately wanting to get back to your normal, old life but you are still limited due to your abnormal walk/gait and need to consolidate so I'm trying to practice patience and focus on recovering. With that said consolidation is incomparably better than distraction and the feeling of getting better each day is amazing.

BoneStretching

« Reply #89 on: December 23, 2019, 03:49:45 AM »

Pretty much hit it on the nose, this is how I feel Alchemist.

Question, do you mind sharing your glutes/ hip strengthening program?

TheAlchemist

« Reply #90 on: December 23, 2019, 06:16:58 PM »

Pretty much hit it on the nose, this is how I feel Alchemist.

Question, do you mind sharing your glutes/ hip strengthening program?

Awesome, good to know we're on par with each other and what we're feeling is normal!

Here is my glute/hip workout.

1) Squats (non weighted) 3 sets, 15 to 20 per set.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_HDus7RZFA

Knees just in front of toes, feet just about shoulder length, back flat and straight while you are leaning forward, weight on heels, squat down and hold for 10 to 15 seconds, and while squeezing your glute/butt, push back up.

2) Clamshell exercise 3 sets, 15 to 20 per set

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJ9Rmst88iE

3) Side leg raises 3 sets, 15 to 20 per set

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgh6sGwtTwk

4) Laying flat on stomach - straight leg raise - 3 sets, 15 to 20 per set

Couldn't find a video on this. Lay on your stomach. With your legs straight, raise one leg up about 5 to 7 inches off the ground and hold while squeezing your butt/glute.

You can also do this while standing, similar motion as if you were doing this on your stomach, with a focus on avoiding leaning forward so you are working your butt.

5) Side steps (without resistance band for now, can progress to it with one once strength is regained) - In a slight squat position with knees slightly bent and back straight, weight on heels with glutes engaged, walk side ways. I do this for 3 to 5 minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqZgvMJhGr0

readyprecisestryde

« Reply #91 on: December 24, 2019, 02:59:35 AM »

Thank you for the great journal and I hope you are doing well. I met with Dr. Paley and Dr. Robbins for consultation couple of weeks ago and Planning on doing the surgery after the high season so I don't pay higher room rates. ....Below are some questions:

1. I go to the gym and lift weights 5 days a weeks. I have strong upper and lower body. Different journals suggest that it is easier during lengthening session for individuals who have skinnier legs. Should I stop doing leg workouts and concentrate on upper body only?

2. I stretch an hour a day. What other measures should I take before the surgery so I am more ready for the surgery and have a successful lengthening?

3. I am very independent and also private. How many hours a day should I hire the care taker the first couple of weeks after the surgery? Do I need them 24 hours a day?

TheAlchemist

« Reply #92 on: December 24, 2019, 08:17:06 PM »

Thank you for the great journal and I hope you are doing well. I met with Dr. Paley and Dr. Robbins for consultation couple of weeks ago and Planning on doing the surgery after the high season so I don't pay higher room rates. ....Below are some questions:

1. I go to the gym and lift weights 5 days a weeks. I have strong upper and lower body. Different journals suggest that it is easier during lengthening session for individuals who have skinnier legs. Should I stop doing leg workouts and concentrate on upper body only?

2. I stretch an hour a day. What other measures should I take before the surgery so I am more ready for the surgery and have a successful lengthening?

3. I am very independent and also private. How many hours a day should I hire the care taker the first couple of weeks after the surgery? Do I need them 24 hours a day?

Thanks for reading my diary! Best of luck on your journey. My responses:

1. This is purely anecdotal but yes I would recommend avoiding working out thigh muscles (quads and hamstrings) as it seems like patients with more leg mass and muscles in that area got tighter and had a much harder time stretching during physical therapy.

One guy who was a body builder with massive tree trunk legs got super tight at around 4 cm, to the point where he couldn't straighten his knee, was in painful agony during physical therapy (screaming), and was forced to stop lengthening by Dr. Robbins before reaching his goal due to tightness.

I believe working out non thigh muscles like the glutes and hip abductors pre surgery would be a good idea because they shouldn't impact PT flexibility and you lose those muscles fairly quickly and are the hardest to get back.

I would highly recommend working out the upper body as you will rely on your arms and core for mobility for the first 3 to 4 weeks after surgery.

2. Train yourself to sleep on your back with your legs straight. It's difficult to sleep on your sides post surgery and it's best to not bend your knee while sleeping to avoid tightness in your IT band. Many people struggle with sleep because they are only able to sleep on their sides with knees bent. I'd also recommend starting to take vitamin D supplements for bone health.

3. I would recommend having a caretaker 24 hrs/day for at least the first 3 days or more after hospital release. There is still a small risk of a severe complication like fat embolism occurring those first few days so you want someone with you in the event of an emergency. Afterwards you could probably reduce for a few hours a day for the next week or so. I found that after the first week, the caretaker became more a of a huge convenience that was helpful rather than a necessity.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up