Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Another patient death under Dr. Guichet  (Read 6771 times)

Purushrottam

Another patient death under Dr. Guichet
« on: September 27, 2019, 02:06:23 AM »

I found this article on a subreddit that I visit often.

https://jezebel.com/stories-about-my-brother-1835651181

It was an Indian American dude (like myself) who was 5'7" and went to Guichet for LL. He died of pulmonary embolism. Theres something uncanny about reading this article on the exact date when I had the surgery (Sept 26th).

Please be wary of the statistics. This is still a very dangerous procedure.
Had LL in Sept 2017 with Dr. Paley.
Starting height: 168.5 cm (5'6.5"); Ending height: 175 cm (5'9")
http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=4823.0

daikioni

Re: Another patient death under Dr. Guichet
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2019, 02:34:54 AM »

i dont know man i dont trust that guichet took all measures to prevent as much as possible fat embolism! he seems to me like a sloppy surgeon

Bruno Mars

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2019, 04:44:55 AM »

By another, you meant that there was someone died under this doctor before?

Michael01

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2019, 07:15:12 AM »

Patriarchy and white supremacy killed her brother. Body positivity could have saved him.
LOL

Purushrottam

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2019, 07:19:40 AM »

Patriarchy and white supremacy killed her brother. Body positivity could have saved him.
LOL

I disagree with the author there, but my main point is that holy s*** someone died doing this...
Had LL in Sept 2017 with Dr. Paley.
Starting height: 168.5 cm (5'6.5"); Ending height: 175 cm (5'9")
http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=4823.0

Michael01

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2019, 07:28:14 AM »

I disagree with the author there, but my main point is that holy s*** someone died doing this...

I do know, however, that Yush experienced alarming symptoms the week that he died: After returning from the gym earlier that week, he told Clark he thought he had experienced a heart attack. Hours before he died, he was coughing while on the phone with my dad. My dad, who is a doctor, told Yush to go to the ER immediately. To my knowledge, Yush didn’t reach out for help until it was too late.
If the guy was informed about the risk of fat embolysm, had symptoms and did nothing, he was kind of suicidal.

Guichet declined to discuss any aspect of Yush’s procedure or recovery with me unless I met him in person in Milan, but wrote in an email that patients “are obviously informed” about the risk of pulmonary embolisms and their symptoms. Guichet also said that he generally prescribes preventative medication to lessen the risk of pulmonary embolisms and informs patients what to do if symptoms of a pulmonary embolism occur. (I do not know how aware Yush was of such a risk, whether he was prescribed any medications to prevent its onset, or whether he knew what symptoms to identify should it develop.)
Don't know if it's true.

http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=3922.msg60858#msg60858

Michael01

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2019, 07:34:14 AM »

Body positivity is just lazy, sugar addicted fat women who takes a lot of SSRI and go to therapy. Most hypocrite people on Earth.

Rei

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2019, 09:24:38 AM »

He just got really unlucky honestly

limewalk

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2019, 10:58:13 AM »

Fat embolism happens only few days after surgery. Why did he get this so late?

And can fat embolism  or pulmonary embolism lead to amputation?

Michael01

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2019, 09:15:51 PM »

Fat embolism happens only few days after surgery. Why did he get this so late?

And can fat embolism  or pulmonary embolism lead to amputation?
No, it can lead to DEATH, which in my opinion is much better than amputation. It's about damage in your lungs, not in your legs.

Rei

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2019, 03:46:34 AM »

No, it can lead to DEATH, which in my opinion is much better than amputation. It's about damage in your lungs, not in your legs.

After how long after LL you are safe from it?

Michael01

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2019, 03:59:49 AM »

After how long after LL you are safe from it?
Good question to make to a doctor.

dreamingtall

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2019, 05:18:01 AM »

Honestly this discussion is "Another patient death" and it should be titled "Another rare tragedy". An emphasis on prevention pills during post OP, and also there is an eerie suicidal undertone in this story. I know if my father was telling me to go to the ER I would have gone. I don't know why he avoided it but I think its important to highlight this is still a RARE occurrence. The chances of this happening to most are very little and even smaller given the fact that most rational people would seek medical help given the symptoms he was having.

Also ... I guess this does effectively damage Guichet a bit but it does honestly seem more like a patient flaw. his personality in the essay is also deeply and explicitly conveyed as "following his own path" and when it comes to health you must adhere to the professionals.  :'(
Starting Height: 170.68cm; Goal Height: 182cm in two separate operations (^8cm Femurs, ^5cm Tibias)

wavemaker5

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2019, 12:41:19 PM »

What symptoms to look out for during lengthening phase?

If walking and doing physical therapy heavily raises your heart rate and causes pain what to do?

TinyTL

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2019, 09:01:05 PM »

such a tragic ending for a bright young boy.
He had so much to live for.
This is obviously Guichets fault but I cant help but feel the boy was misguided.

There is a silent storm brewing up in our society. The liberalism may have stretched the band too much. People feel left out of the society. The democracy works best when more people are in it, at this rate more and more people are going to fall out and it will end up with a handful elite at the wheels.
This is no good. Just my opinion

fodawupa

« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2019, 03:45:09 AM »

such a tragic ending for a bright young boy.
He had so much to live for.
This is obviously Guichets fault but I cant help but feel the boy was misguided.

There is a silent storm brewing up in our society. The liberalism may have stretched the band too much. People feel left out of the society. The democracy works best when more people are in it, at this rate more and more people are going to fall out and it will end up with a handful elite at the wheels.
This is no good. Just my opinion

yes we are all doomed. life was better 2 centuries ago when we invaded and killed each other. also there was no LL and it was such a simple life  ::)
"Gammal kjærleik rustar inkje."

OverrideYourGenetics

• OverrideYourGenetics.com (no PMs, please email me)
Yush was brilliant but...
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2020, 04:28:13 AM »

I'm really sorry for Yush and his family.

On the other hand...

The guy was brilliant. If you skim through the rambling article written by his feminist sister, you can read that he would solve Rubik's cube in under 40 seconds (I never managed to solve it at all), was a key participant in making a new kind of telecom laser when he was still a teenager, was well-liked in high school and wasn't just a geek: "played the drums, ran varsity cross-country, and dated girls".

He also made lots of money with Bitcoin and joined a crypto company (LibertyX),

he was alarmed by the shoddy technology, contacted the founders of the company LibertyX, and outlined to them how he planned to hack their machines. They ended up hiring him as the company’s chief technology officer. Today, the company serves thousands of stores in nearly every state across the country with a platform that Yush originally built.

Yet, he didn't manage to find out about Guichet's poor track record?

He didn't visit this forum? Hasn't read any of the stories?

He didn't find out that Paley was the safest LL surgeon? He was also located in the US, like Yush.

Yush certainly didn't need to spare some dollars to go for the cheaper Guichet. He was brilliant, well-employed, and rich.

While I had always worried about his financial stability, in the days and months following his death, I would learn that he had become wealthy from bitcoin investments. I learned that he was secretly building a technology that he believed could revolutionize the world.
My diary. Tibias+femurs 3.75+3.75cm at the Paley Institute (5'5" -> 5'8") in my late 30s.
One of the last patients to use the PRECICE 2.2 nail. I met the first STRYDE patient and I strongly recommend the new STRYDE nail instead.

Bjoern77

Re: Yush was brilliant but...
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2021, 07:10:27 PM »

On the other hand...

The guy was brilliant. If you skim through the rambling article written by his feminist sister, you can read that he would solve Rubik's cube in under 40 seconds (I never managed to solve it at all), was a key participant in making a new kind of telecom laser when he was still a teenager, was well-liked in high school and wasn't just a geek: "played the drums, ran varsity cross-country, and dated girls".

fk knows what true of it and what not...

KrP1

Re: Yush was brilliant but...
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2021, 08:22:29 PM »

On the other hand...

Yet, he didn't manage to find out about Guichet's poor track record?

He didn't visit this forum? Hasn't read any of the stories?

He didn't find out that Paley was the safest LL surgeon? He was also located in the US, like Yush.

Yush certainly didn't need to spare some dollars to go for the cheaper Guichet. He was brilliant, well-employed, and rich.

Some years ago there weren't as much experiences as now. I remember very well a time when guichet was the top rated doctor for cosmetic LL.

Body Builder

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2021, 08:23:11 PM »

Another horror story from Guichet.
Of course p.e. can happen to anyone after LL surgery but still with that butcher many wrong things happen much more frequently than any  respectable doctors.
Taking in mind his huge fees also, only a madman would go to him for LL.

Abbot

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2021, 04:57:27 PM »

I do not promote Guichet and his exhaustive pre and post training regimes but he is very careful and doubt he is a sloppy surgeon.  I did not go to him bc I don't believe in his conditioning requirements.  I believe Guichet is as good as there is and complications happen to many no matter.

Bantem

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2021, 05:15:14 PM »

I do not promote Guichet and his exhaustive pre and post training regimes but he is very careful and doubt he is a sloppy surgeon.  I did not go to him bc I don't believe in his conditioning requirements.  I believe Guichet is as good as there is and complications happen to many no matter.
What is his conditioning requirement?

RealLostSoul

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2021, 05:17:58 PM »

What is his conditioning requirement?

You have to have approximately equal sprinting abilities to Usain Bolt (+-5%).

First post on a fresh acc. Seriously curious, why do you think so? I mean, just reading Unicorn‘s story makes one wanna throw up.

Sambollio

« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2021, 08:47:04 AM »

Lol one post...

10cmOnTibiaOrGTFO

« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2021, 10:53:40 AM »

dr guichet is french? i dont trust the french they always surrender

Bjoern77

« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2021, 09:39:38 PM »

He is a "frog"?

Bjoern77

« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2021, 11:54:18 AM »

Limbfan2020

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2021, 12:10:17 PM »

Is this doctor in jail now?

limbcllnea

« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2021, 12:46:50 PM »

Is this doctor in jail now?

No, it's impossible... Well, technically it's possible but very difficult because you sign a bunch of forms waiving and acknowledging tremendous risks before surgery. So it covers all doctor's ass pretty well, not just guichet.
Pages: [1]   Go Up