Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: Internal femur with Dr. Betz 2018  (Read 31687 times)

Bantem

Re: Internal femur with Dr. Betz 2018
« Reply #186 on: March 07, 2021, 08:02:45 AM »

How many cm on femur would you recommend then and why?
It is recommend to stay under 8cm to prevent complications

Jamesy998

« Reply #187 on: March 07, 2021, 09:47:16 AM »

I will do a major update in a few months.

As you can see from my x-rays the surgery and bone healing went well. However, that does not mean that 9cm is something i recommend, on the contrary actually.

Yes i have removed my nails. All your questions will be answered on the major update, so just wait.

Good to hear all is well.
LON method | Dr. Halil Buldu | 2021
Diary | http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=66007.0

Deletedaccount_67574

« Reply #188 on: March 10, 2021, 12:40:26 AM »

I will do a major update in a few months.

As you can see from my x-rays the surgery and bone healing went well. However, that does not mean that 9cm is something i recommend, on the contrary actually.

Yes i have removed my nails. All your questions will be answered on the major update, so just wait.

Looking forward to it!

tallertree

« Reply #189 on: May 30, 2021, 07:57:17 AM »

Here comes an update.

The last 3 years have been quite challenging. I have had problems with my legs and especially the right leg. The more pressure/weight was put on the right leg the more pain i felt through the femur. Before the nail removal i thought to myself that once i remove the nail the pain will go away. But the pain was still present even after removing the nails.

Dr. Betz have unfortunately not been very helpful in this situation. In fact, he has not been helpful at all. During these three years, whenever I sent Dr. Betz x-rays I also mentioned the pain and every time he just answered something like "You need to do more PT/Training". Now, he might have been right about the PT/Training part. But telling a patient only this is like going to the gym for the first time with the goal of becoming a body builder and then your personal trainer just tells you "Yeah bro you need to workout more".

After removing the nails, I sent a long message to Dr. Betz and described my problem more in depth. Do you know what answer I got? that's right, he didn't answer at all.

So what I did instead was to contact Dr. Paley. He immediately answered and his first thought was that we were dealing with a tight-it band. However, I would have to meet him in order to give a correct diagnosis. So after a few months I meet him and he did examine me. The final conclusion was that the pressure pain was likely related to a week hip muscle. My right muscle was clearly weaker than my left. And my it-band is in fact tight and i have the so called "jumping hip" thing going on where the it band like jumps on the hip when rotating the leg. This was not a major issue though and could be done with a quick fix(it-band release) but it was not recommended by Dr. Paley at this stage. The important thing right now was to strengthen the muscles and the it-band release could be done anytime if it bothers me. Its only in extreme position the it band jumps, in daily life it does not.

This is very interesting because back in January I contacted a physiotherapist close to where i live. I suspected the problem was related to a tight it-band but my physiotherapist insisted we should instead try strengthen the muscles around the hip. I followed this program and saw a slight improvement, but nothing significant. Now however, the result seem to have come because since about 3 weeks the pressure pain is almost gone.  So shoutout to my physiotherapist for identifying the problem first :D

So this is something you should think about if you are considering this surgery. Your muscles will become significantly weaker. Some muscles will become so weak that you cant function properly. Its therefore very important that you start training these muscles in a early stage.

DonBones

« Reply #190 on: May 30, 2021, 08:20:55 AM »

Here comes an update.

The last 3 years have been quite challenging. I have had problems with my legs and especially the right leg. The more pressure/weight was put on the right leg the more pain i felt through the femur. Before the nail removal i thought to myself that once i remove the nail the pain will go away. But the pain was still present even after removing the nails.

Dr. Betz have unfortunately not been very helpful in this situation. In fact, he has not been helpful at all. During these three years, whenever I sent Dr. Betz x-rays I also mentioned the pain and every time he just answered something like "You need to do more PT/Training". Now, he might have been right about the PT/Training part. But telling a patient only this is like going to the gym for the first time with the goal of becoming a body builder and then your personal trainer just tells you "Yeah bro you need to workout more".

After removing the nails, I sent a long message to Dr. Betz and described my problem more in depth. Do you know what answer I got? that's right, he didn't answer at all.

So what I did instead was to contact Dr. Paley. He immediately answered and his first thought was that we were dealing with a tight-it band. However, I would have to meet him in order to give a correct diagnosis. So after a few months I meet him and he did examine me. The final conclusion was that the pressure pain was likely related to a week hip muscle. My right muscle was clearly weaker than my left. And my it-band is in fact tight and i have the so called "jumping hip" thing going on where the it band like jumps on the hip when rotating the leg. This was not a major issue though and could be done with a quick fix(it-band release) but it was not recommended by Dr. Paley at this stage. The important thing right now was to strengthen the muscles and the it-band release could be done anytime if it bothers me. Its only in extreme position the it band jumps, in daily life it does not.

This is very interesting because back in January I contacted a physiotherapist close to where i live. I suspected the problem was related to a tight it-band but my physiotherapist insisted we should instead try strengthen the muscles around the hip. I followed this program and saw a slight improvement, but nothing significant. Now however, the result seem to have come because since about 3 weeks the pressure pain is almost gone.  So shoutout to my physiotherapist for identifying the problem first :D

So this is something you should think about if you are considering this surgery. Your muscles will become significantly weaker. Some muscles will become so weak that you cant function properly. Its therefore very important that you start training these muscles in a early stage.

It is sad to hear that you feel neglected by Betz, but it is at least reassuring that the advice he gave you is pretty much the same as Paley and your physiotherapist - you need to train more. I wish you the best of luck!!
First Surgery - Prof Betz - 28th July 2021 🇩🇪
Nail Removal - Dr Becker - 13th December 2023 🇩🇪
Lengthened: 5.00cm
Height: 180cm
Current Phase: Post Nail-Removal Adaptation

chasing_higher_dream

• Life is what you make it
« Reply #191 on: May 30, 2021, 10:11:21 AM »

Thanks for the update @tallertree
I am glad that you are feeling well now.

It’s good to know that I would have to work extensively to not only stretch the muscles but also strengthening the muscles.
Femurs with Dr. Betz - May 2021
Height (night):  170 cm --> 178 cm
Wingspan: 174 cm
Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=66215.0

Roger1300

• Visitor
« Reply #192 on: December 04, 2021, 06:56:12 AM »

Thanks for the update, it's an interesting point of view.

I'll have my surgery in 2022, and am interested to know in advance what muscles specifically should be strengthened to prevent issues like this?
I guess glutes and other hip muscles, but if you have some specific exercises I'll take them to start working on strengthening the muscles.
Th

Highest

« Reply #193 on: January 15, 2022, 01:50:39 PM »

Hi taller tree

I read you wished you did around 6cm instead of 9cm due to proportion issues but wanted to ask if you also started to feel lengthening got more difficult around that point? It is a common theme in diaries that it gets harder around 6cm what do you think?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up