Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Could you have a post collecting all wheelchair/no weight bearing advice?  (Read 515 times)

SpeedDialer

HobbitMan I think wrote this, maybe there are other instances of this on the board? We should collect them all:

"
1. NEVER use any stairs.  Don’t even slide down them or lean on the rails.  Not worth it.

2. Remove rugs wherever possible before surgery if it’s in the line of your normal movement area.  You can trip easily on them.

3. If you have a step-down front door or have step downs anywhere in your house, you should get a ramp and only traverse it via wheelchair.

4. Do not walk around at night without a light on, you need to be always aware of your surroundings.

5. If you get a steamy bathroom from a hot shower, don’t traverse it until it’s no longer slippery.

6. Use the wheelchair primarily outside of the house.

EDIT: also it’s best to get a portable urinal sort of thing to pee into at night.  Maybe also go to bed with a water bottle you can use in the morning to take pills with.  You’re going to be your least oriented late at night or in the morning between pain pills, so it’s best to not leave the bed until the painkillers have kicked in and you’re fully awake.  Probably 80% of my near-accidents happened at night or early morning."

sphenopetroclival

• Views don't represent views of Stanford Medicine

HobbitMan I think wrote this, maybe there are other instances of this on the board? We should collect them all:

"
1. NEVER use any stairs.  Don’t even slide down them or lean on the rails.  Not worth it.

2. Remove rugs wherever possible before surgery if it’s in the line of your normal movement area.  You can trip easily on them.

3. If you have a step-down front door or have step downs anywhere in your house, you should get a ramp and only traverse it via wheelchair.

4. Do not walk around at night without a light on, you need to be always aware of your surroundings.

5. If you get a steamy bathroom from a hot shower, don’t traverse it until it’s no longer slippery.

6. Use the wheelchair primarily outside of the house.

EDIT: also it’s best to get a portable urinal sort of thing to pee into at night.  Maybe also go to bed with a water bottle you can use in the morning to take pills with.  You’re going to be your least oriented late at night or in the morning between pain pills, so it’s best to not leave the bed until the painkillers have kicked in and you’re fully awake.  Probably 80% of my near-accidents happened at night or early morning."

The community should seek out implementation of weight bearing nails only.

https://orcid.org/0000-0001-7171-9248
LL “doctors” to avoid marked as *MOVED below.They’ve been reinstated as a professional courtesy
Pages: [1]   Go Up