Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: Observations/tips two days ish after LL surgery  (Read 7850 times)

canterk

Re: Observations/tips two days ish after LL surgery
« Reply #186 on: October 14, 2022, 12:19:48 PM »

There's like 5 new Dr. G patients in this hotel (Montaza) including myself that weren't here in September 1st 

It feels like there are new patients every 2 weeks or so, I might be wrong but it feels that way

I feel like he's super busy with new patients and this like doesn't even include his UK office

What are your thoughts on Novotel vs Montaza hotel for internal tibias in Athens? I'm still thinking about this, kinda wish Montaza had better fruit selection for their breakfast buffet and more desk space
thanks for the info!
about the hotels, sorry, i have no opinion. only the patients in athens can answer this. if you are not liking or if you are not comfortable where you're staying then the obvious choice would be to move, yes?

SpeedDialer

« Reply #187 on: October 14, 2022, 01:26:45 PM »

So far in Montaza's hotel food:

I haven't had much luck w/ the Greek dishes, I think my body isn't liking the kind of faintly sweet almost cinnamon like flavor in alot of meat/pasta dishes. That and the yogurt/cheese of certain sauces or bases can be very hit or miss for me, I guess I probably  should have predicted this, maybe its common for mediterranean food 

Think I'll just stick to foods that are closer to American dishes that I have a better idea of, less of a dice roll. I will say that I think their most expensive pizza dish (like 9-10 euros or something, has tomato, feta cheese, some meat on it, mushrooms) quite filling and large, I feel like it lasts two meals easily so it might actually be the most cost effective option even better than the burger, which they bumped up the price to 7.50 euros for

I know one patient who is concerned about not getting that much protein from dishes- > I don't think there is really a cost effective way to get protein except the breakfast eggs. Though I sort of wonder if a protein powder might actually be a good idea so I just don't have to think about that on a day to day basis and can just enjoy my carbs in peace

Then again, like do we really need that much protein? None of us here are that big or muscular, I feel like just even a modest amount of animal protein has a good effect and then you also get some in the milk and smaller amounts in other foods ..

SpeedDialer

« Reply #188 on: October 14, 2022, 01:51:30 PM »

So I think the main thing now stopping me from buying a protein powder is I will go search it on amazon and be like "what is all of this stuff, like all these big letters, colors in the advertising, chemicals they put in them, will all these chemicals cause weird cross reaction with any medications I'm taking or have weird effects w/ leg lengthening? Do I even want to find out? "

https://www.amazon.de/s?k=protein+pill&crid=1DF1AV3M424QO&sprefix=protein+pil%2Caps%2C151&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

And I keep going back to the same thought "eh fk it, I eat alot of eggs for breakfast, like do I really need that much protein? I eat some animal protein in each meal, is that not enough?"

informationispower

« Reply #189 on: October 14, 2022, 04:37:50 PM »

Just buy a normal protein powder.....

thankscience

« Reply #190 on: October 15, 2022, 12:12:42 AM »

Do you remember how long the doctor said it would take to walk without crutches once you stop lengthening? And in your experience how long do you think it would take to return to what looks like a "normal" gait?

SpeedDialer

« Reply #191 on: October 15, 2022, 03:11:51 AM »

Do you remember how long the doctor said it would take to walk without crutches once you stop lengthening? And in your experience how long do you think it would take to return to what looks like a "normal" gait?

my vague memory, could be wrong:

for gnail:

3 month mark after surgery (shortly after stopping lengthening) -> wide stance penguin walk possible, head elevation changes as do this, uncomfortable?

5-6 month after surgery -> closer to normal walking (so i guess like 2-3 months after stop lengthening) ?

Any veteran wanna chime in? Is my memory wrong?

what questions do you think are best to ask novotel?
thinking of doing novotel internal tibias. last time for montaza I regret not asking them the size of the TV before I brought my HDMI cable

SpeedDialer

« Reply #192 on: October 15, 2022, 03:12:38 AM »

Just buy a normal protein powder.....

Shrug

SpeedDialer

SpeedDialer

« Reply #194 on: October 15, 2022, 03:20:30 AM »

thinking the easiest way to start a hamstring stretch from sitting position is:

cross legs, put one leg on top of the other, start leaning forward slightly

requires a bit less leaning forward than two legged stretches

thankscience

« Reply #195 on: October 15, 2022, 07:08:04 AM »

Have you ordered any groceries to Montaza yet?

Also, just curious where you stayed in Greece prior to your surgery? Montaza or somewhere else?

what questions do you think are best to ask novotel?
thinking of doing novotel internal tibias. last time for montaza I regret not asking them the size of the TV before I brought my HDMI cable
Maybe ask them if you can order groceries and takeaway, as well as if any rooms have a bath

SpeedDialer

« Reply #196 on: October 15, 2022, 08:13:13 AM »

I stayed in Montaza the days before the surgery, there might be cheaper options tbh

have not ordered groceries out of laziness, not sure what I'd get though if I did (maybe ramen? bananas? dunno what would be good that I can't get already that would make the delivery fee worth it, any ideas?)

glad I don't have to hop with the walker anymore they said, can use the walker or crutches and walk more normally (still not normal yet). I hated hopping with the walker, it was hand pain

thankscience

« Reply #197 on: October 15, 2022, 10:32:20 AM »

I stayed in Montaza the days before the surgery, there might be cheaper options tbh

have not ordered groceries out of laziness, not sure what I'd get though if I did (maybe ramen? bananas? dunno what would be good that I can't get already that would make the delivery fee worth it, any ideas?)

glad I don't have to hop with the walker anymore they said, can use the walker or crutches and walk more normally (still not normal yet). I hated hopping with the walker, it was hand pain
Do they sell protein powder at local grocery shops?

Glad you can just use crutches now! That must be a relief. Are you still using the walker in the shower?

canterk

« Reply #198 on: October 15, 2022, 03:51:02 PM »

what questions do you think are best to ask novotel? thinking of doing novotel internal tibias.

as a current patient, you should know best the answer to this question. just take into account the fact that internal tibia (PRECICE) would mean wheelchair until the end! what are YOUR current needs? what things did you overlook before and are only realizing now that youre staying in montaza? wheelchair-specific questions. those might be the best things to ask novotel or any other hotel you wish to move to!

SpeedDialer

« Reply #199 on: October 16, 2022, 12:11:27 PM »

as a current patient, you should know best the answer to this question. just take into account the fact that internal tibia (PRECICE) would mean wheelchair until the end! what are YOUR current needs? what things did you overlook before and are only realizing now that youre staying in montaza? wheelchair-specific questions. those might be the best things to ask novotel or any other hotel you wish to move to!

dunno

SpeedDialer

« Reply #200 on: October 16, 2022, 12:54:05 PM »

looking through some novotel reviews, not completely sure this is the right one

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g189400-d206776-Reviews-Novotel_Athenes-Athens_Attica.html

Quotes:

We always stay in Accor hotels and unfortunately Novotel Athens has been very disappointing. The pillows are so old and grose and it feels dirty. Very outdated inside and in need of renovation. Sheets have holes in them! And the restaurant food was taken straight from the freezer to the deep fryer and I even saw the ‘chef’ smoking in the kitchen while he was cooking! Arrive average as well. Such a shame as the view from level 7 bar is amazing. Surely Novotel can do better.

As a typical Novotel hotel, the property was extraordinary, staff polite and helpful, room spacious and clean with daily service, regardless of Corona pandemic, but do taking all precautions. The hotel is located 5' from Plaka by taxi (around 4 euros only). Highlight: amazing outdoor swimming pool on the rooftop with great views to the Acropolis. Highly recommended particularly at night.
Cons: the vicinity is a bit dangerous because of numerous immigrants in the whole neighbourhood, so avoid wandering around at night (alone or with valuables at easy sight and access).
Overall, great value for money straight in the city centre and with all great facilities that a Novotel offers.

On arrival taxi told us not to walk out alone as area was not good. Prostitution offering services during day on streets.
Some reception staff require retraining, very unhelpful with poor local knowledge. Rooms very tired and not cleaned properly. Smells stale and of dogs. Rooms very small. Carpets threadbare and dirty. Showers mouldy. Breakfast is worst we have ever had. Hot food was cold every day and tasteless.
Swimming pool only suitable for paddling as only 50cm deep fo middle. You can not swim in this. It is deceiving from the photo. View from top excellent.
Bar man very grumpy and does not like to serve people when you eventually find him. No local restaurants nearby.

This hotel ticked all the boxes for a base in Athens for 4 nights. The room was comfortable and clean with good facilities such as a safe, fridge and tv. The rooftop pool was a wonderful place to chill and take in the views of the acropolis with beer in hand. The staff were very friendly and helpful making checking in and out easy. The breakfast was continental in style with a decent range of food choices to accommodate everyone. My only advice would be not to walk from the hotel towards the acropolis direction as there are some rather unsavoury streets along the way that do not feel safe during the day, let alone at night. Luckily, Larissa metro stop is less than 10 minutes walk, in a much safer route, which links you up with wherever you wish to go.

The hotel is competitively price which is attractive but the walking around area is undesirable with some strange people in the area. The underground car park is a nightmare if you have a SUV or minivan. The pool is packed with small kids. Basically, you get what you pay for.

Awful! Air conditioning in the room not working and no assistance from staff. Even refused to bring ice to the room. Appalling lack of empathy.

Booked this hotel as an Accor Diamond member, Never again.

Nice view from the rooftop, pool small for the size of hotel.

Great hotel, OK city
Pros:
- Rooftop pool
- Staff (Eva front desk, Georgio+Maria+Petrus rooftop bar)
- Lovely, semi-modern rooms+hotel
- Delicious Nespresso in room
- 2 free large mineral waters in room

Cons:
- Far from city center, 10min walk through run down neighborhoods to nearest metro station (buses were on strike our first day)
- Rooms were a bit stinky with mildew smell when key not activated in room
- Very icky smell rising up from toilet

Breakfast was a nice buffet with a good selection. We also paid for dinner which was fine. You ordered off a menu for that which also had a an average selection (pasta, pizza, burger and Greek options). We even arrived late on our first night and they had prepared plates for us as we had missed the dinner service.

My only negative was I wished they’d explained the half board a bit more clearly when we arrived. The staff seemed just as confused as us about it and we were told different information by different people. We did figure it all out in the end though!

The rooftop pool is very nice! Recommend going to watch the sunset and seeing the acropolis lit at night. Only down side is we were told we couldn’t eat there being half board which kind of sucked. We just enjoyed it after dinner with drinks. It does get busy and there are limited pool seats so keep that in mind if you’re after a lounge by the pool.

---------

Yeah so from the quotes above, it seems like the pool is shallow/filled with kids. The area around it is sketchy (drugs, homeless people). Some room cleanliness issues seem hit or miss. But everyone seems to love the breakfast and the roof top view

SpeedDialer

« Reply #201 on: October 17, 2022, 02:53:19 PM »

There is a rumor that all the Montaza handicap rooms are near the strip club music (so far has been the case with everyone I talked to) but some people are not so bothered by that noise

This is making me lean even more towards novotel if I do internal tibias one day, I'm just worried about the frequency of nurse visits

Right now I believe there is one internal tibia precise patient at Montaza but he doesn't seem bothered by the strip club noise. I learned that even if you stretch your calves alot before doing tibias, there's a chance your achilles tendon will hurt

When I lived in a Montaza handicap room for around 3 weeks, the strip club noise did wake me up each night and my heart rate would be a bit up from the beat of the music, but somehow I did not mind this alot of nights

Now in a non-handicap room, the strip club music is far enough away it doesn't wake me up. Instead, knee pain wakes me up (I'm doing internal femurs, yes there is even knee pain for alot of internal femur patients evidently). I put ice pads on it when this happens, but I don't know if that is the best response. Someone mentioned the idea that jerking off and ice pads help more for pain than painkillers-> things like ice pads seem like more immediate relief than painkiller pills but I don't know if this is a good idea or a bad idea

I am so glad Dr. Giotikas convinced me to first just do internal gnail, I am really glad I did not do the 4 precise nail option (simultaneous internal precise femur and tibia), don't think I could handle it, I already have trouble with just gnails in my femurs

It is getting cold here in the morning in October in Athens. I think its a good idea to bring some warm fuzzy slippers (might seem crazy in September when its still warm, but eventually it will be good). I'd wear running shoes to PT.

So I guess if I were you, I'd bring three pairs of shoes: 1. regular slippers for warm weather 2. warm fuzzy slippers with friction bottom for practicing walking in the hotel 3. running shoes for the treadmill 

SpeedDialer

« Reply #202 on: October 17, 2022, 04:43:30 PM »

Alright so today I did a transfer into the non-handicap montaza room shower area with crutches and its alot easier than with a walker (walker is a bit bulky, hard to get into the shower area). Crutches are skinnier, its way easier to fit them into the cramped shower area

I feel like the hardest part was getting out of the shower area (cramped, wet floor by the time) and I ended up cheating a bit by using a table just outside the shower to lift myself up

So I think at least for gnail options, a non-handicap montaza room is a good budget option, it seems like everything just becomes really easy once you can use crutches

I'm still thinking about montaza vs novotel for internal tibias, it all depends on how much help it actually needs from the nurses and how often the nurses come

I think it would be different for a second LL though because now I feel I am pretty good at all the transfers (bed to wheelchair, wheelchair to seat, etc) and maybe I wouldn't need as much nurse support. If I fell down I guess I would crawl to my door, knock on it loudly and yell-- or ideally I think if I ever showered in a handicap novotel room during internal tibia I should put my phone in a place that is easy to reach from the ground actually so I can crawl over it and call for help

Its 86 dollars per day in novotel vs about 60 dollars per day in montaza's handicap room so about 1.433 times more expensive. I expect both prices to be more expensive in one year's time from now. Probably more expensive like 1.7 times more expensive at least when considering that novotel has more expensive food.

But on the other hand, novotel's breakfast seems to have a better selection of fruits and foods. And novotel has a gym with a nice bike to use (but screw it I'd probably buy a small pedal machine anyway because its a hassle to get out of the room). Novotel is closer to the PT center which should save money (alot of money in fact if the SUV transportation doesn't go through in the end). And the desk space. And the intangibles like the possibly better mental health from the nicer room/nicer rooftop space. And more desk space at Novotel which seems nice.

I've got to remember to ask the girl (just remembered her name) who has been to both -- to ask her how the internet speed and noise compared, I keep forgetting to ask her questions at PT

We ate some takeout food after PT outside (Montaza disallows outside takeout food for most of the day), we might keep it up until it gets too cold outside

Although the area around novotel is sketchy, I would say the area around montaza is like uh.. its not that sketchy in terms of crime but its a bit worn down and has alot of strip clubs. So I think maybe montaza's area is maybe slightly (???) safer but I think its area is overall worse because of the road noise and closeness to the strip clubs

But mainly the rumor that all the montaza handicap rooms (and lack of evidence against it) are close to the strip club music is pretty damning. But its really hard to give up on Bill's/Evi's frequent montaza hotel visits (reminds you about laundry, helps you with transfers, she has some bandages to put on your cuts) they are really nice to have, I'd really hate to lose those visits idk they just make you feel taken care of and safe -- Kinda wish everyone would go to Novotel and then they'd have to make rounds at Novotel

SpeedDialer

« Reply #203 on: October 17, 2022, 08:02:13 PM »

alright think I figured out a more efficient way to stretch hamstrings and quads, not sure if this is a good idea or not

those green/turquoise bed back rests on the wall for the beds at Montaza hotel -> lie on back, put your heels on top of those soft turquoise backrests -> hamstring stretch

then let go of that wall mostly, just use wall to hold of the feet a bit, let the feet drop, knees up to ceiling, feet down, lying on back -> quad stretch

And then can just cycle between the two

SpeedDialer

« Reply #204 on: October 18, 2022, 12:56:08 PM »

Alright heard some more rumors about novotel:

- novotel internet seems fine, you might have to reconnect/re-login every now and then though

- rumor that novotel's handicap room was like 89 euros per day but might be cheaper in the fall compared to the summer, not sure, can't remember might be less than 80 euros at unpopular times of the year

- I heard that because novotel is much larger than montaza, you will get less help from the staff in terms of them coming to your actual room or bringing stuff up to you (you have to come down to the front desk yourself)

- heard that novotel has a ramp so you don't have to use a lifting machine like at Montaza (man every hotel should just have a ramp, I don't understand the logic of having two stairways and one lift instead of one ramp and one stairway, except for really heavy objects)

- the novotel pool being only like 50 cm deep means its not as good for using it to exercise/walk in

some people are not bothered by montaza's strip club night time music but some are, I found that it consistently woke me up at like 2-3am but sometimes I randomly didn't mind

there's also a rumor that there are just not that many handicap rooms at montaza available at any given time and that they are all near the strip club music

If I were you guys, I'd look for a wolt promo code and buy a meal w/ it pretty soon, can get a pretty decent meal cheaply like that

I think montaza is the better option for gnails, its cheaper, you don't need a handicap room after maybe 3 weeks, and the second stairway to the entrance (on the right) has such a gradual slope that you can honestly get inside with a walker or crutches easily except maybe during heavy rain

if the SUV transportation goes through then the transportation costs for both options will be pretty close (both small). But if the SUV transportation pilot program fails, then I think novotel's costs will be alot closer to montaza's than people realize for handicap rooms

There's also a rumor that it takes a long time to find a good airbnb/apartment location if you want to go that route

canterk

« Reply #205 on: October 18, 2022, 05:22:02 PM »

hi speeddialer, thanks for sharing the details! i am curious where are these 'rumors' coming from exactly ?

SpeedDialer

« Reply #206 on: October 18, 2022, 06:19:17 PM »

hi speeddialer, thanks for sharing the details! i am curious where are these 'rumors' coming from exactly ?

talking to other patients

rumor because I will sometime hear it said like "I heard that X" so I'm hesitant to call of these things hard truths but I still find them useful

SpeedDialer

« Reply #207 on: October 18, 2022, 06:21:38 PM »

deleted accidental post

SpeedDialer

« Reply #208 on: October 21, 2022, 08:41:00 AM »

The montaza hotel shower- I found that if I keep it on hottest mode (which is not that hot) for like 10-15 minutes eventually it becomes slightly warmer which is great because it becomes warm enough to feel good against the thighs

I feel like if I can lose 12 kg I should be able to be in the montaza non handicap room even with internal tibias like one patient is doing now, especially if my tibias can fit the extra big precise 2 nail

But on the other hand, I might just end up still going to novotel's handicap room for the safety

But on the other hand, I still think novotel would have fewer nurse visits but maybe that will change in one year as novotel gets more popular

canterk

« Reply #209 on: October 21, 2022, 10:00:50 AM »

how many nurses does the doctor have to visit each hotel?
and is losing 12 KG during lengthening possible really? i have not heard of patients lose that much weight!

SpeedDialer

« Reply #210 on: October 21, 2022, 02:22:33 PM »

how many nurses does the doctor have to visit each hotel?
and is losing 12 KG during lengthening possible really? i have not heard of patients lose that much weight!

I don't know how many nurses per hotel. I know in total there are 2 who are closely associated w/ the doctor

I mean losing 12 kg within 1.5 years before I do internal tibias

Sorry I think maybe my diary is too confusing based on the questions I've seen and its time to end it soon

thankscience

« Reply #211 on: October 21, 2022, 10:21:05 PM »

I enjoy reading your diary and I think it's helpful for prospective patients. I think you should keep it.

Btw have you started using the new SUV service yet?

SpeedDialer

« Reply #212 on: October 22, 2022, 07:10:57 AM »

I'm ending the diary because I think the diary has just been confusing/diary has been annoying to some people based on the responses

Everyone reading this, PM me if you are already scheduled and have paid to go to Athens or Baltimore for LL, we might see each other someday

Good luck everyone

hippo60

« Reply #213 on: October 22, 2022, 06:54:52 PM »

I'm ending the diary because I think the diary has just been confusing/diary has been annoying to some people based on the responses

Everyone reading this, PM me if you are already scheduled and have paid to go to Athens or Baltimore for LL, we might see each other someday

Good luck everyone

Please don't! :-[
You're doing great and if people are confused/annoyed they simply shouldn't bother reading it. Don't pay them any attention!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up