Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice to young male  (Read 1911 times)

Hollow173

• Visitor
Advice to young male
« on: February 28, 2020, 12:25:04 PM »

Hi everyone,

I'm a 24 year old male from Spain, and I have suffered from heavy height dysphoria for the last two years. I really don't consider myself as "short", at least in my country, as I'm 5'8 (173) barefoot at night, and that's not too bad. I also have a great girlfriend who supports me (we are getting married next year) and I've just started a business. The problem is that my height dysphoria is ruining my life, and I don't even want to go outside, feeling constantly depressed. I'm going to a therapist seeking help, and I also want to try some natural methods to grow a bit (I read about trying weighted inverted sit ups).

In case it doesn't work, I'm really considering CLL surgery. Athletic recovery is extremely important for me, so I only would do 4-5 cms femurs with STRYDE. Being European, and taking into account my limited budget, I would go to dr Giotikas in Greece. Can anybody give advice? I'm really scared about getting crippled or not being able to run fast again, but this problem is ruining my life, and maybe it's worth the risk.

Thank you

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
Re: Advice to young male
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2020, 05:59:41 PM »

Yeah, don't get it done.  You're not that short, you care a lot about athleticism, and you have a good life already.

cyborg4life

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2020, 06:06:12 PM »

Hey Hollow173 I got it done when I was slightly younger than you and near 8 years later I'm at the top of my physical game. Granted I only needed about 2" but yes you can definitely make a physical comeback and everyone now has Stryde nails are even better off than I was.

It will take effort on your part, distracting properly, rehabbing meticulously and rebuilding optimally but you can come back physically.

BUT Medium Drink Of Water is right, in the meantime definitely see the therapist and make sure this isn't a phase and that it's absolutely something you want to do. It's not a joke
Your friendly neighborhood Cyborg spreading LL awareness
https://cyborg4life.com/
YouTube: Cyborg 4 Life

xenia123

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2020, 06:25:00 PM »

Aren‘t you of more or less avarage height in your country? I wouldn‘t risk it in that case.
Most importantly, what does your girlfriend and soon to be wife say about this?

Hollow173

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2020, 06:40:16 PM »

My girlfriend supports me, and she would travel to Greece with me in order to help me. Regarding my business, I work from home, so I would be able to keep working while recovering.
About my interest for sports, I'm  really into fitness and boxing, but it's not like I intend to become profesional or anything like that. For me, recovering 80-90% would be a great result and I'd be willing to lose some athleticism in order to get rid of my dysphoria. I read your blog yesterday Cyborg, and it was really inspiring. I've also read other diaries that are really positive, but there are others of people who can't even jump again, or run, and that really scares me. As I said, it has become a serious mental issue for me, and it's not a phase. When I was 18 years old, I was 5'6, and I had no problem with that. Then I grew to my actual height, and I started being height aware and measuring myself with everyone, until it became an obssesion. I don't think I'm short (I think anything above 5'7 barefoot at night is not short) but I'm obsessed to get to 5'9. I don't need more than that, so I'm trying natural methods to get those extra 2 cm, but in case it does not work, I think I will have the surgery, as I want to live free of this problem that is ruining my life

Hollow173

• Visitor
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2020, 06:44:01 PM »

To sum up, I would do only 4-5 cm, with STRYDE. After research, I think the best doctors are Paley or Mahboubian, but they're really out of my budget, so I'm in contact with Dr. Giotikas, and waiting for a couple more of diaries of people doing femur STRYDE with him. Sorry for my long posts, but do you really think that with these elements I would be able to have a decent athletic life after recovery?
Thank you

MirinHeight

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2020, 06:56:37 PM »

To sum up, I would do only 4-5 cm, with STRYDE. After research, I think the best doctors are Paley or Mahboubian, but they're really out of my budget, so I'm in contact with Dr. Giotikas, and waiting for a couple more of diaries of people doing femur STRYDE with him. Sorry for my long posts, but do you really think that with these elements I would be able to have a decent athletic life after recovery?
Thank you

I can understand how you are feeling. I am 25-26 years old and 179 cm and have height dysphoria as well. I also have a great gf who I am getting married to at the end of 2022. In my case I am only doing 2-3 cm because I do not want anyone to really notice (not even my gf). I am going to be going to Giotikas as well because I can't afford any US doc.

I think you can have a good athletic life after recovery with stryde especially if you are only doing ~4 cm. If you know that you are going to always struggle with height dysphoria in the future, then this procedure will take that insecurity off of you.

~also I will most likely be doing LON/LATN tibias or internal tibias
currently 179 cm with a 6'2 wingspan
Goal: 182-183
top 5 LL surgeons: Paley, Rozbruch, Mahboubian,  Donghoon Lee, Giotikas

- planning to have LON tibias with dr donghoon lee in summer 2021

Canon

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2020, 07:38:06 PM »

I would do at least 5cm.

BetzLandLiberator

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2020, 12:59:45 AM »

Yeah, don't get it done.  You're not that short, you care a lot about athleticism, and you have a good life already.

This. Unless you decide to move to Netherlands there is no point for you to do this.

Hollow173

• Visitor
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2020, 09:44:29 AM »

I get what you mean, but as I said earlier it's not that I think I am "short", or that other people care. The problem is that I suffer from heavy height neurosis, to the point that I don't want to leave my appartment because I feel so bad about myself. I'll be trying theraphy first, but if it does not work, I'll need to have the surgery because I want to live free again.

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2020, 05:00:19 PM »

Is it just about height or is it something else that comes with height?  E.g. are you afraid of being bullied/victimized at 173cm, and hope people will view you as a more formidable opponent at 178cm and not want to mess with you?

California2

« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2020, 05:24:25 PM »

Limb lengthening will not relieve "height dysphoria".

First "height dysphoria" is not really a diagnosable condition; height dysphoria is beginning to be used as a subset characterization of body dysmorphic disorder specifically related to height.

However stated, height dysphoria is IRRATIONAL anxiety related to one's height.  This is a mental condition; not a physical condition.

If you are dissatisfied with your height, that does NOT mean you suffer from height dysphoria just as every person who is legitimately sad is not necessarily clinically depressed.

So, the first step is to sort out whether you would simply prefer to be taller versus whether whether you are unreasonably anxious about your height.

If the former; then, maybe you can consider limb lengthening.  If the latter; then, sorting through your thoughts and feelings and developing a more rational understanding of yourself may be more productive.

Hollow173

• Visitor
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2020, 05:52:10 PM »

Is it just about height or is it something else that comes with height?  E.g. are you afraid of being bullied/victimized at 173cm, and hope people will view you as a more formidable opponent at 178cm and not want to mess with you?

No, it's just about height. It's like I feel that I'm worthless because I was not able to reach 5'9 (it's the average for young people in my country). So yes, it is definetly something irrational, but it has really affected me, to the point that I'm considering this surgery, even though I realise it is dangerous. Because of that danger, I will not act impulsevely and I'll only do STRYDE 4-5 cm. Now I have to consider if Dr Giotikas is really good enough to take the risks.

Hollow173

• Visitor
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2020, 06:23:47 PM »

I apologize if I sound like a madman lol. I totally understand that it is irrational, but getting to 5'9 would be life changing for me. Being only 2-3 cm, I'm trying natural methods and I even researched some other minor surgeries that can slightly increase height. I understand that limb lenghthening is something really drastic.

daikioni

« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2020, 06:40:02 PM »

Im sorry but it will not be life changing to increase 2cm imo. You are not short to begin with and i dont think you faced extreme height discrimination in your current height,if you want to be taller its understandable but a 2cm increase its not worth.I agree that a session with a therapist may be more beneficial for you!

cam007

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2020, 01:23:21 AM »

Limb lengthening will not relieve "height dysphoria".

First "height dysphoria" is not really a diagnosable condition; height dysphoria is beginning to be used as a subset characterization of body dysmorphic disorder specifically related to height.

However stated, height dysphoria is IRRATIONAL anxiety related to one's height.  This is a mental condition; not a physical condition.

If you are dissatisfied with your height, that does NOT mean you suffer from height dysphoria just as every person who is legitimately sad is not necessarily clinically depressed.

So, the first step is to sort out whether you would simply prefer to be taller versus whether whether you are unreasonably anxious about your height.

If the former; then, maybe you can consider limb lengthening.  If the latter; then, sorting through your thoughts and feelings and developing a more rational understanding of yourself may be more productive.

This.
What you are describing isn’t dysphoria.  You can’t leave your house?  How did you get school and work training. How did you meet your girl. How are you getting married.   A dysphoria is literally a mental mindset that makes a person feel like  it doesn’t allow this.

You possibly have height anxiety. And that is not the same as dysphoria.

You also need to think about what you are doing because as others are saying it’s a very big test of mental fortitude surgery as well.
175cm , goal 181cm

** est.2022 for 5-6cm tibias preferably

Hollow173

• Visitor
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2020, 09:10:41 AM »

This.
What you are describing isn’t dysphoria.  You can’t leave your house?  How did you get school and work training. How did you meet your girl. How are you getting married.   A dysphoria is literally a mental mindset that makes a person feel like  it doesn’t allow this.

You possibly have height anxiety. And that is not the same as dysphoria.

You also need to think about what you are doing because as others are saying it’s a very big test of mental fortitude surgery as well.
This issue developed around two years ago. Before that, I had a completely normal life, and that's what I want to get back to. I understand how tough and even crippling this surgery may be if you have bad luck, but if I'm not able to solve my situation with other methods, I will take the risk, because I'm already living like a crippled. I understand that I may have not explained my situation very well (english is not my first language) and I apologize if it sounds like being inmature or something like that. I'll be saving money this year, and I'll keep researching about Giotikas in order to be sure about him as a top surgeon.

massco

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2020, 08:29:22 PM »

Hi man,

Definitely your height is not short for your country (neither for world standards), even some of the top performing soccer players in your country which are young and succesful men are probably 1.5 inches above and below your height.( real madrid an barcelona)
Use shoe 1 or 2 inch lifts and avoid spending +100k on this surgery.

I hope you will get over this in a year or so, as so many other people do and then forget about it.

Jdram03

• Visitor
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2020, 12:43:52 PM »

Hey man,

Is your gf the same height as you? If so, I’m on the same boat as you I’m 5’7 and my gf is 5’6.5 and it drives me nuts I feel like her friend lol. It sounds completely irrational for sure but it’s just something I have a hard times shaking off. I don’t work from hole though so this would definitely impact me financially to do a procedure like this, that’s what is keeping me from moving forward

soitchi

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2020, 08:43:22 PM »

Sounds like you got a lot of good things going. Would be a shame to lose it all over CLL, imagine the surgery gets botched too...but hey roll the dice if it's so important to you lol
rip edwardv6

slayer of the ll clown

dreamingtall

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2020, 06:11:33 PM »

I am going to go against the grain and say unfortunately height dysphoria appears to be a condition that lingers and in my opinion doesn't go away without this surgery. That may sound drastic to say but speaking directly with enough veterans post gain it has alleviated that condition. I would say go for it and get 2.5" in your femurs. It won't take long and it'll make your life even happier.
Starting Height: 170.68cm; Goal Height: 182cm in two separate operations (^8cm Femurs, ^5cm Tibias)

llj

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2020, 03:33:16 AM »

From what you're saying you just sound depressed. A couple anti-depressants may change that easily.

I'd say start by seeing a psychiatrist and if a couple months later still feel you need the surgery only then go ahead.

ghkid2019

• Inactive account
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2020, 10:52:20 PM »

sounds more like depression. not leaving apartment because of your height is a serious issue. i would imagine post LL you will have more problems and remain depressed
This account is no longer in use.

User requested self-ban.
Pages: [1]   Go Up