Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Athletics: lifting, agility, jumping etc. Post LL Surgery  (Read 1021 times)

cyborg4life

Athletics: lifting, agility, jumping etc. Post LL Surgery
« on: March 24, 2020, 10:33:42 PM »

I know that many of you are into athletics of some sort regardless of the height you want to gain (or gained) from LL surgery. I've gotten several messages about my thoughts on if you can regain your physical fitness after lengthening, complications, what I lost etc. So I wanted to start a thread on any of the following topics...

• fears you may have of losing athleticism post-op
  • if you did the LL surgery what was your rehab, rebuild protocol and have you regained or surpassed previous fitness levels
  • staying within safe ranges of lengthening to avoid losing max running/sprinting, agility & jumping ability
  • any long-term aches or pains you may have post-op
  • pre-surgery stretching and flexibility exercises for optimal intra & post-op ROM
  • Any other related topics you can think of...

Here's a recent video showing me squatting and doing some agility drills at my work office building while on this darn COVID-19 lockdown...

My broken leg history:
-1998: got hit by a car, broken right femur, had external fixator hold it into place for bone to heal
-1999: roller blading accident broke my left tibia at growth plates, stunted growth causing near 2" discrepancy when adult height
-2012: underwent PRECICE nail LL surgery to fix leg difference.
-2013: got PRECICE nail removed
-2014: spring was back to normal barely noticed I had the surgery minus the faint scars
Your friendly neighborhood Cyborg spreading LL awareness
https://cyborg4life.com/
YouTube: Cyborg 4 Life

Movie

Re: Athletics: lifting, agility, jumping etc. Post LL Surgery
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2020, 08:59:53 AM »

Dope vid Cyborg, you look solid bro fairly agyle and quick, but to be fair bro you're an LL patient not a CLL patient, you're now the height you were supposed to be anyway genetically with one leg lengthened, maybe that gives you an advantage over some of us who actually messed with our genetic biomechanics, I'd be happy to be close to where you are let alone close to where I was pre LL (Came from high competition Club Soccer since about 8 years old, always the fastest in my class and top 2 in my soccer team) but to be realistic I don't think I can surpass that level even if I train how I used to train before, my biomechanics won't allow me such high speed and abilities as I've lengthened my femurs 8cms, but who knows maybe after a couple years of rod removal and constant training I might actually be able to be the same if not better athletically than how I was before as you say, but I truly believe that hard to accomplish, just being realistic here. I believe I can get to 80-90% at best and that's fine, that's the trade off I chose. There's just not many CLL diaries after rod removal with actual visual proof (video) of somebody coming back 100% to the pre op abilities and speed, But anyway bro you're a beast and no one can deny your work ethic and dedication, your physique speaks for itself, much respect to you and what you're contributing to the forum. keep it up.
Starting height: 167cm Now 175cm With Strydes Femurs with Dr. Mahboubian 09/01/2019
Nails removed 10/06/2021
My Video Logged Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=64224.0

cyborg4life

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2020, 12:35:37 PM »

Thx Movie! Yeah man I hear ya about being extremely tough to be able to regain the full physicality post-op. I think taking preventative and early action is key to maximize the chances to get back to.

I hear it all the time that LLD is different than CLL. Believe it or not, from what others that I've talked to that got CLL done, it's much more similar (in fact, possibly harder to come back due to the spinal, joint and tendon torque adaptations that took place all those years of me being imbalanced-I still have some to this point today). Genetically my left tibia had stopped growing thus all tendons, muscles, fascia etc. were stopped at that height since the body doesn't have instructions to grow more and I experienced the tightness that a typical CLL patient would have added on the extreme muscle tension that comes from having several years of bodybuilding under my belt.

Now I'm not sure when you got your surgery done, and 8cm on the femurs no doubt changes your structural and soft tissue biomechanics,

But what do you think is preventing you from getting back to where you were before? Purely height gain, lack of ROM, strength, poor proprioceptive senses? Age? (because believe it or not this plays a role- ex: I won't be as good as I was in my 20's when I'm 40)

Curious because I think you're right, it took me about 2+years of some advanced training (stuff I wasn't doing before) post-op to get back to my prior strength levels but I didn't allow myself to accept the fact I couldn't get back or surpass. You did say you're good with not being back 100% as I assume you don't play competitive soccer anymore so that's cool too and I'm with you trust me, once I retire from natural bodybuilding I won't be lifting like a madman anymore lol plan to move on to martial arts lol.

And excuse the crappy agility drills, although I was a track and field sprinter in high school, I haven't run or did drills since that video and it was immediately after leg workout ;D
Your friendly neighborhood Cyborg spreading LL awareness
https://cyborg4life.com/
YouTube: Cyborg 4 Life

Movie

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2020, 06:47:05 PM »

I see brother, Discrepancy LL people have other issues to correct as well with their spine, you're right never thought about it, awesome well hopefully in 2 years of consistent hard training I'll show back and say cyborg was right all along, I'm also of that mentality that I won't accept anything that's not my goal lol. so I'll maintain hope, thanks cyborg.
Starting height: 167cm Now 175cm With Strydes Femurs with Dr. Mahboubian 09/01/2019
Nails removed 10/06/2021
My Video Logged Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=64224.0
Pages: [1]   Go Up