Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How often are x-rays necessary?  (Read 685 times)

Nestor

How often are x-rays necessary?
« on: April 13, 2020, 05:03:53 PM »

So due to the pandemic I've been unable to go for x-rays to see how my consolidation is going. Does anyone know what is the longest you can go without an x-ray? Aside from bone growth is there anything else that might go wrong in the mean time? Everything feels ok but naturally I'm a bit worried in case any unseen problems might be arising

llj

Re: How often are x-rays necessary?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2020, 09:34:09 PM »

femur/tibia? which nail? which doctor?

i've been having my x-rays every 15 days, did stryde femurs

i'm very interested on your question too, please let me know if you get an "official" answer from your doctor

ghkid2019

• Inactive account
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2020, 09:57:37 PM »

Honestly you should only be worried if you're still lengthening, because you need to know if callus is forming or else you extending too fast and therefore you might have nonunion. Which requires constant x-rays, because you need to adjust the speed of lengthening if something would occur. Even worse is you might be going too slow and the stuff has preconsolidated, which needs rebreaking surgery

If your consolidation and already have seen good callus growth, just keep your routine and you'll be fine. Don't try to do new things like walk if you aren't cleared yet, wait until next x rays. Don't fret
This account is no longer in use.

User requested self-ban.

llj

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2020, 12:29:21 AM »

thanks for the insight ghkid2019, im still lengthening but hopefully not for too long  :P

FormerKidd

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2020, 05:03:41 AM »

So due to the pandemic I've been unable to go for x-rays to see how my consolidation is going. Does anyone know what is the longest you can go without an x-ray? Aside from bone growth is there anything else that might go wrong in the mean time? Everything feels ok but naturally I'm a bit worried in case any unseen problems might be arising

When lengthening, every two weeks, that's important as other posters have stated.

During consolidation, it's really up to you.  Preferably once a month, but some people wait 6-8 weeks.  You will need to send them before you do anything that might break weightbearing protocol.

Nestor

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2020, 11:11:04 AM »

Thanks guys. Sorry I should have specified more, I've finished lengthening about two months ago, last x-ray everything looked fine. I guess my only concern at the moment is how long the pandemic lockdown restrictions will last , it could go on for another few months or more. What I'm wondering is if I didn't have an x-ray for 4 or 5 months is there anything that might go wrong during that time? Had anyone heard of anybody experiencing unusual issues during consolidation or is it just basically a waiting process until the bones have healed?

ghkid2019

• Inactive account
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2020, 11:39:13 AM »

Keep on your current routine, don't try to do anything "new" and you're absolutely fine without an x-ray for indefinite amount of time
This account is no longer in use.

User requested self-ban.

AppleFanBoy

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2020, 05:58:49 PM »

Hey Nestor! I PM’d you. Take a look when you get a chance :)

Body Builder

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2020, 06:23:34 PM »

1 per month for tibias is enough to be sure that there is no premature consolidation or non union amd everyrhing is fine.
Pages: [1]   Go Up