Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: After how long were you able to see your friends/family?  (Read 1528 times)

jem_semarc

After how long were you able to see your friends/family?
« on: May 15, 2020, 08:45:53 AM »

To my LL’ers,

How long did it take you to get somewhat of a normal walk?

How long after were you able to meet your friends and family without them noticing?

Just wondering how long I’ll have to be alone lol.
Stryde on Femurs in Jan/2021 with Dr. Giotikas - currently @ 5 ft 5, goal height 5 ft 8.

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
Re: After how long were you able to see your friends/family?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2020, 02:26:53 PM »

About 10 months from the first operation.  You might be able to do better than that if you choose a less invasive method than was available to me, and don't have knee issues all through the lengthening phase like I did that prevented me from doing much physical therapy.

TheAlchemist

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2020, 07:53:20 PM »

5 to 6 months post op assuming you are committed to physical therapy and strength exercises throughout (Stryde femurs.)
Dr. Paley Patient: Femurs (Stryde) / 8 CM gained
Surgery: 9/17/19 / Distraction completed: 12/14/19
Start height: 5'9 or 175cm / Endi Height: 6'0 ft or 183 cm
Rod Removal: Dr. Debiparshad 6/16/21
Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=64373.0

jem_semarc

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2020, 12:25:04 AM »

How would you describe month 3 and 4?

Walk without crutches? Painful? Bad posture?
Stryde on Femurs in Jan/2021 with Dr. Giotikas - currently @ 5 ft 5, goal height 5 ft 8.

TheAlchemist

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2020, 03:45:06 AM »

How would you describe month 3 and 4?

Walk without crutches? Painful? Bad posture?

Month 3 and 4 you'll be ambulatory but very limited and won't be able to conceal LL due to 1) bone still not fully consolidated, 2) weak muscles/ atrophy (glutes, quads, hamstrings, hips) and 3) tightness in soft tissues.

Your walk won't look normal due to the muscle atrophy- robotic waddle. Endurance will be poor, you'll at best, walk up to 0.5 a mile, at which point you'll be exhausted and will probably need a cane. You won't be able to do stairs and you won't be able to get up from a seated position without using your hand to push off. You will also have a bit of APT / back arch.

Hatch

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2020, 03:47:52 AM »

If lenghten only, lets say 4-5cm, compared to Alchemist 8cm. How much that speed up recovery? At least lenghten phase takes 1 month less .

snowpiecer

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2020, 04:35:31 AM »

Lengthening 4 instead of 8 will certainly lead to a faster recovery.

E Z

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2020, 08:21:46 AM »

I can only speak on my experience with Stryde, it took me 7 months to feel normal.

jem_semarc

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2020, 10:00:41 AM »

Month 3 and 4 you'll be ambulatory but very limited and won't be able to conceal LL due to 1) bone still not fully consolidated, 2) weak muscles/ atrophy (glutes, quads, hamstrings, hips) and 3) tightness in soft tissues.

Your walk won't look normal due to the muscle atrophy- robotic waddle. Endurance will be poor, you'll at best, walk up to 0.5 a mile, at which point you'll be exhausted and will probably need a cane. You won't be able to do stairs and you won't be able to get up from a seated position without using your hand to push off. You will also have a bit of APT / back arch.

That’s really helpful! Exactly what I was looking for.

I assumed that after month 3/4, you’d be able to walk like a hundred metres and not make it obvious. How long did it take to walk up the stairs?

TheAlchemist

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2020, 02:08:29 PM »

I assumed that after month 3/4, you’d be able to walk like a hundred metres and not make it obvious. How long did it take to walk up the stairs?

I would say month 5 and 6 is where you have breakthrough milestone moments. Around month 5 and 6 is where I was able to walk somewhat normally without any detection. Stairs happened towards the end of month 5 for me.

As others mentioned, this is highly dependent on how much you lengthen. I did the full 8 CM. How much are you planning on doing? Recovery will be significantly different the less you do.

Movie

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2020, 10:19:53 PM »

For me I was out and about carefully with family and friends even while I was still distracting, I have some videos/pictures on my phone of me out at a party with family in October 12, 2019 and I had my surgery August 1st, 2019 ... that's two months and a half. I remember not walking 100% still I had to really focus and make a big effort on not walking with a sway, I looked like I had a minor injury nothing major... I'd say It started looking normal where nobody would suspect I had a limp or was hurt at around 3.5-4 months post op. Also I was actually out and about a lot even with crutches at around 1 month post op I probably started going out carefully and taking tylenols with me everywhere I went lol.
Starting height: 167cm Now 175cm With Strydes Femurs with Dr. Mahboubian 09/01/2019
Nails removed 10/06/2021
My Video Logged Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=64224.0

jem_semarc

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2020, 11:31:58 PM »

About 10 months from the first operation.  You might be able to do better than that if you choose a less invasive method than was available to me, and don't have knee issues all through the lengthening phase like I did that prevented me from doing much physical therapy.
I can only imagine how hard it must have been! At least you came out of it well!

jem_semarc

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2020, 11:33:47 PM »

I would say month 5 and 6 is where you have breakthrough milestone moments. Around month 5 and 6 is where I was able to walk somewhat normally without any detection. Stairs happened towards the end of month 5 for me.

As others mentioned, this is highly dependent on how much you lengthen. I did the full 8 CM. How much are you planning on doing? Recovery will be significantly different the less you do.
I’m planning on doing 8cm on my femurs with dr M in LA. I’m thinking I might as well go all out while I am at it. I mean I’ll be preparing well for it so why not? Plus I’m 22 so I feel like it’s a little less complicating the younger you are.

jem_semarc

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2020, 11:36:36 PM »

For me I was out and about carefully with family and friends even while I was still distracting, I have some videos/pictures on my phone of me out at a party with family in October 12, 2019 and I had my surgery August 1st, 2019 ... that's two months and a half. I remember not walking 100% still I had to really focus and make a big effort on not walking with a sway, I looked like I had a minor injury nothing major... I'd say It started looking normal where nobody would suspect I had a limp or was hurt at around 3.5-4 months post op. Also I was actually out and about a lot even with crutches at around 1 month post op I probably started going out carefully and taking tylenols with me everywhere I went lol.
Hopefully I’ll be in the same situation as you. My biggest fear is staying home alone and not being able to see anyone. Being able to walk somewhat normal before month 3 is amazing. During the period between like month 2 and 5, were people asking why you walked funny? Do people still ask?

Movie

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2020, 07:49:42 AM »

only from month 2-3 were people asking why I'd walk with a limp and I'd say because I had surgery for Growin area Hernias (which I do have still lol It's just the best excuse I came up with)... after month 4 nobody would really ask I wouldn't walk out of the ordinary and now I look completely normal and my legs filled up pretty well with my consistent leg training I've been having since right after distraction, which is 6 months ago.
Starting height: 167cm Now 175cm With Strydes Femurs with Dr. Mahboubian 09/01/2019
Nails removed 10/06/2021
My Video Logged Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=64224.0

TheAlchemist

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2020, 01:43:49 AM »

Just met up with family (4 aunts and uncles) and hiked about 2 miles uphill and downhill. No detection whatsoever of having anything done. Looked completely normal. I'm 8 months post op.

It's crazy, 4 months ago I could barely walk without a cane, now I'm hiking steep inclines. The body is amazing.

jem_semarc

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2020, 09:47:49 AM »

Just met up with family (4 aunts and uncles) and hiked about 2 miles uphill and downhill. No detection whatsoever of having anything done. Looked completely normal. I'm 8 months post op.

It's crazy, 4 months ago I could barely walk without a cane, now I'm hiking steep inclines. The body is amazing.
That’s amazing dude. All that hard work has finally paid off for you! Must be a great feeling honestly.

jem_semarc

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2020, 02:05:58 PM »

only from month 2-3 were people asking why I'd walk with a limp and I'd say because I had surgery for Growin area Hernias (which I do have still lol It's just the best excuse I came up with)... after month 4 nobody would really ask I wouldn't walk out of the ordinary and now I look completely normal and my legs filled up pretty well with my consistent leg training I've been having since right after distraction, which is 6 months ago.
Even the fact that you were able to walk and meet up with people is pretty good. That’s what I’ll be hoping for. 

FormerKidd

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2020, 01:25:06 AM »

It is possible to use stairs sooner with Stryde if you're not close to the weight limit.  I was able to go up and down stairs after a couple months with Stryde, however it was a slow process, required a cain, and I had to go down backwards.
Pages: [1]   Go Up