Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: developments in LL  (Read 1938 times)

kats20

developments in LL
« on: May 21, 2020, 06:33:15 PM »

Which area do you think developments are most likely to be in -

a.finding a method of distracting the bone slowly enough for soft tissues to grow in unison ie. comparable to puberty, or

b.finding more sophisticated ways of helping soft tissues adapt and recover

I'm pretty much never going to get ll until the procedure becomes more predictable and I'm prepared to accept my height until that happens.

10cmOnTibiaOrGTFO

Re: developments in LL
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 07:48:49 PM »

sometimes you have to take a risk in life. so stay short then. loser

BetzLandLiberator

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 10:54:03 PM »

Which area do you think developments are most likely to be in -

a.finding a method of distracting the bone slowly enough for soft tissues to grow in unison ie. comparable to puberty, or

b.finding more sophisticated ways of helping soft tissues adapt and recover

I'm pretty much never going to get ll until the procedure becomes more predictable and I'm prepared to accept my height until that happens.

To be honest, I don't think we will see any big improvement in the LL field in the next decades.
LL is a pretty old concept (from the 1950s) and even the internal methods are considerable old by now (1990s).
Stryde is pretty much the culmination of all the internal methods that came before: it has a non twisting mechanism like Fitbone, but it's weight bearing as Betzbone and Albizzia. I think this is as good as it gets.

Do not wait: do it. LL changed my life for the better but I REALLY regret that I didn't do it 10 years earlier.

deaddog

• Visitor
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2020, 11:46:33 PM »

Do not wait: do it. LL changed my life for the better but I REALLY regret that I didn't do it 10 years earlier.

@BetzLandLiberator,

Could you please tell me what your pre LL height was and what your post LL height is now?

Thanks!

BetzLandLiberator

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2020, 01:33:22 AM »

@BetzLandLiberator,

Could you please tell me what your pre LL height was and what your post LL height is now?

Thanks!

165cm before (5'5''), 174.5cm (5'9'') after. Totally changed my life, I went from bellow 5% percentile of height to average.

lelouche

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2020, 02:51:27 AM »

1 surgery? do u look disproportionated or is it still okay

BetzLandLiberator

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2020, 03:38:33 AM »

Just 1, 8 years ago with Dr. Betz. Femurs.
I look great. I had shorter legs to begin with, comparatively long torso (90cm) for my original height, and broad shoulders.
I actually look more proportional now.

deaddog

• Visitor
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2020, 08:19:41 AM »

165cm before (5'5''), 174.5cm (5'9'') after. Totally changed my life, I went from bellow 5% percentile of height to average.

Thanks very much for the reply, BetzLandLiberator...

Yes, I can see how going from 5'5" to 5'9" would be totally life changing! You were the perfect candidate for LL at 5'5 with shorter legs and a longer torso... My body is the same as yours was pre LL. I am 5'7 and hoping to lengthen 7-8cm on my femurs to get to 5'10" which would be life totally changing for me as well.

Very glad to know that you are enjoying your height and your life BetzLandLiberator... :)

Kotiki

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2020, 12:08:05 AM »

The biggest breakthrough in limb lengthening will be when they discover a way to facilitate fast healing of bone fractures. Once there's a way to heal a fracture in a matter of weeks, limb lengthening will be a walk in the park.

For tibia in particular. You can use the externals to lengthen (1-2 months) then use the new drug to consolidate quickly - and you're done. No invasive opening of the knee cap, no drilling into the bone, no reaming the bone canal with metal rods. As a bonus, you can achieve high level esthetics by medialisation, and have perfectly straight and well shaped tibia. Without any risk of permanent knee pain. You can also walk around the whole time you're in frames, and there will be only one surgery, not multiple like with other methods (insert the rod, remove the rod, wreck your knees each time in the process). As a bonus number 2, this would be very cheap provided the drug for fracture healing is affordable.

This will be the real breakthrough in limb lengthening, not the stupid Stryde.

How likely are we to see it in the foreseeable future? It's hard to tell. But multiple laboratories around the world are working on developing such a drug tirelessly. Not because they're racing to alleviate our height disphoria, but because fractures are very common and cause a lot of suffering and cost to society (think elderly falls, car accidents and sports injuries). There's a huge market for such a therapy and I don't see any reason why it couldn't be developed.

Futureller

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2020, 01:26:42 AM »

I dont think LL will ever become big.  It's only for open minded and ballsy people and the super rich that dont know what else to do with their money do.  With that said we aren't like most people, we are willing to work hard, go through crazy pain, and sacrifice a lot of time and effort to get what we want in life.

ghkid2019

• Inactive account
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2020, 12:57:43 PM »

The biggest breakthrough in limb lengthening will be when they discover a way to facilitate fast healing of bone fractures. Once there's a way to heal a fracture in a matter of weeks, limb lengthening will be a walk in the park.

For tibia in particular. You can use the externals to lengthen (1-2 months) then use the new drug to consolidate quickly - and you're done. No invasive opening of the knee cap, no drilling into the bone, no reaming the bone canal with metal rods. As a bonus, you can achieve high level esthetics by medialisation, and have perfectly straight and well shaped tibia. Without any risk of permanent knee pain. You can also walk around the whole time you're in frames, and there will be only one surgery, not multiple like with other methods (insert the rod, remove the rod, wreck your knees each time in the process). As a bonus number 2, this would be very cheap provided the drug for fracture healing is affordable.

This will be the real breakthrough in limb lengthening, not the stupid Stryde.

How likely are we to see it in the foreseeable future? It's hard to tell. But multiple laboratories around the world are working on developing such a drug tirelessly. Not because they're racing to alleviate our height disphoria, but because fractures are very common and cause a lot of suffering and cost to society (think elderly falls, car accidents and sports injuries). There's a huge market for such a therapy and I don't see any reason why it couldn't be developed.

I don't think bone formation is as much of an issue as rehabilitation of muscles and soft tissues post surgery. With our STRYDE rods and  , the bone might as well be self supporting already with a fully weight bearing rod. Though I do think that bone formation would help as well post lengthening, but mostly the issue is stretching our muscles and nerves and skin and tissues, etc.

I can see HGH and some steroids like Nandrolone Decanoate and like the similar being improved upon and used to speed up callus growth. But I do think stretching of skin,muscles,nerves, is the main issue post lengthening that can be improved upon.
This account is no longer in use.

User requested self-ban.

Kotiki

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2020, 01:05:29 PM »

Stretching of soft tissues is only an issue when going for an ambitious lengthening amount. Patients are kinda forced to do it to make the cost and the risks of surgery worth it.

If you could lengthen 3 cm with externals - cheaply, without risks associated with sticking a rod into the bone canal, and fast (two months, from surgery to full consolidation), you could conceivably do it in two goes with a year for soft tissues to stretch inbetween.
Still other patients may decide that lengthening 3-4 cm is worth it with low risk and low cost involved. And just stop at that.

ghkid2019

• Inactive account
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2020, 01:09:41 PM »

I agree, but most people aim for that ambitious amount. I wouldn't want to do such a surgery for only an inch, most people see 3 inches, 2 inches minimum in their eyes. This is for femur, since tibias obviously 3 inches is not safe. Tibias 3-4 inches seems more reasonable- but people still aim for more. Still costs the same whether you do 3 cm or 5 cm so most people will aim higher, and thus stretching of tissue becomes the singular most common issue.

User requested self-ban.

IwannaBeTaller

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2020, 01:57:58 PM »

This is for femur, since tibias obviously 3 inches is not safe.

Tell that to California2 who did 3.5 inches on tibias.  :-\
It's a long way to find peace of mind, peace of mind
It's a long way to find peace of mind, peace of mind.

10cmOnTibiaOrGTFO

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2020, 02:59:49 PM »

wtf you did almost 10cm on femur? and you re not crippled?
also 174.cm is below average. Average height here is 180cm

ghkid2019

• Inactive account
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2020, 03:38:33 PM »

people routinely do 8cm on femurs...

10 cm on tibias would cripple most people.. not femurs

User requested self-ban.

10cmOnTibiaOrGTFO

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2020, 11:06:10 PM »

Well but wont 10cm on femurs look super retarded? I cant imagine if look proportional to
The rest of your legs

Kotiki

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2020, 05:55:30 AM »

It's happening slowly but it is happening.
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/02/200211140946.htm
This is only one candidate of many. Without a doubt, there will be treatments that can heal bones fast. It's only a question of how soon.

For me personally, inserting rods into the bones is just as prohibitively dangerous and unacceptable as spending a year+ in Ilizarov frames. I would gladly lengthen tibias with Ilizarov frames if quick consolidation was possible.

kats20

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2020, 04:29:58 PM »

wow - I had never even considered how faster consolidation could lead to an easier ll experience. You could literally do a cm at a time, leaving time for recovery in between.

Would damage to the soft tissues not be cumulative though, ie doing 4cm total in four separate spaced out procedures would eventually lead to the same sort of damage as doing 4cm in one procedure?

Thanks for posting this information - it's really interesting.

BetzLandLiberator

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2020, 01:15:21 AM »

No, I'm not crippled. I'm 100% recovered. I run, weightlift, squat, etc...
About 174.5cm being below average, well it depends where you live.

It's average in my country. In the USA it's a little bit bellow average but only like 2cm below, so any normal shoes with a bigger heel (e.g. Doc Marten, Airmax) put me in the average.

It's still night and day from being 165cm :D .

BetzLandLiberator

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2020, 01:16:19 AM »

Well but wont 10cm on femurs look super retarded? I cant imagine if look proportional to
The rest of your legs

I actually look more proportional now. I had short femurs and short legs in comparison to my torso.
I also corrected part of my leg discrepancy.

Arcon

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2020, 06:46:42 AM »

Stretching of soft tissues is only an issue when going for an ambitious lengthening amount. Patients are kinda forced to do it to make the cost and the risks of surgery worth it.

If you could lengthen 3 cm with externals - cheaply, without risks associated with sticking a rod into the bone canal, and fast (two months, from surgery to full consolidation), you could conceivably do it in two goes with a year for soft tissues to stretch inbetween.
Still other patients may decide that lengthening 3-4 cm is worth it with low risk and low cost involved. And just stop at that.

There are many way to skin a cat...

frenchie

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2020, 09:48:17 AM »

No, I'm not crippled. I'm 100% recovered. I run, weightlift, squat, etc...

Anyone can come here and make any claim like this. "I am 100% recovered. I am a chick magnet. I can play amateur football" And it creates this impression that this is a safe operation and can lead to good results even though literally anyone can come and write this with no proof whatsoever.

BetzLandLiberator

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2020, 09:23:59 PM »

Anyone can come here and make any claim like this. "I am 100% recovered. I am a chick magnet. I can play amateur football" And it creates this impression that this is a safe operation and can lead to good results even though literally anyone can come and write this with no proof whatsoever.

Well, believe whatever you want believe. I have no reason to lie.
If that was the case I'd say that I'm 184cm tall not 174.5cm; that my squats are perfect (as I said in other threads, they are harder now because of the longer femur) and that I had no pain lengthening (not the case, as I said in other threads, I had way more pain during LL than the average Betz patient).

frenchie

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2020, 04:53:23 AM »

Well, believe whatever you want believe. I have no reason to lie.
If that was the case I'd say that I'm 184cm tall not 174.5cm; that my squats are perfect (as I said in other threads, they are harder now because of the longer femur) and that I had no pain lengthening (not the case, as I said in other threads, I had way more pain during LL than the average Betz patient).

You can write whatever you want. I was just pointing out how literally anyone can come here and write anything they want and people believe them over time with zero evidence fully.
People even decide on doctors based on this.
Pages: [1]   Go Up