Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Am I too old for CLL? And too out of shape?  (Read 1475 times)

secondchance

• Visitor
Am I too old for CLL? And too out of shape?
« on: May 16, 2020, 09:29:05 PM »

Hello all - I will be 45 years old in a couple of months.  I am wondering if I am too old for CLL?  Meaning, do you think my body can handle the trauma and the stress of a CLL surgery and the subsequent physical therapy? 

I am 5-ft 4-in (or 162.5cm according to google).  My body's overall condition is pretty good as far as I am aware.  I don't have any chronic illnesses except for eczema and some mild asthma.  My left foot suffered a torn tendon a couple of years ago and my right adductor muscle is somewhat atrophied.  Both of these have affected my gait.  My knees are starting to feel the effects of my age, in particular my right knee as a result of that adductor muscle.  I've had physical therapy in the past to assist with both, although it doesn't seem like the PT produced lasting effects. 

However, the biggest physical "ailment" I have is my stiffness.  My body is SUPER stiff.  I practiced Ash-tanga yoga from early 2008 until late 2010 and my instructors -- both of whom were very experienced teachers -- told me I was the stiffest student they had ever encountered.  I really pushed myself in their classes, anywhere from 3x to 4x per week, and only loosened up a little over the 3 years I worked with them. 

That was a decade ago.  Since then I have only intermittently attended the gym.  I'm very out of shape.  Not really overweight but my BMI is definitely out of whack.  I also need to revamp my diet.  I spend most of my work day sitting.  For most of my life I have sat at a desk.  Sometimes I feel like my body is just a taxi for my head. 

If I do decide to perform CLL it probably would not happen for another 18 months or so, given the complexities created for my company by the coronavirus.  So I would be 46.5 years old if that timeline plays out.

What do you think?  Am I too old for this?  Am I too stiff?  I'd love to get another 4 inches to make myself 5ft-8in.  Really I'd like to get to 5ft-9in but I know that's probably not realistic.

ghkid2019

• Inactive account
Re: Am I too old for CLL? And too out of shape?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2020, 01:58:59 AM »

No, not really. Chances are, if you still care about your height at that age you'll care about it for the rest of your life. 10 years down you're going hate yourself for not going through with LL sooner.

Being out of shape and being stiff will definitely cause recovery to go rougher, but I doubt it's anything you couldn't handle. You may have a compliance problem at your age, because of low energy thus you may not take rehabilitation as seriously and choose to skip days of PT. This will ultimately wreck your recovery.

Start working out and take it seriously. You're not too late, there's a paley patient who was in his 40s and did all 4 bones and got 5 inches. He also, was a marathon runner and very fit. Get working. Your neurosis isn't gonna fix itself at this age
This account is no longer in use.

User requested self-ban.

germanlim

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2020, 10:47:14 AM »

45 is not too old.

Ostentician

• Visitor
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2020, 10:59:04 AM »

While recovery, other than maybe taking longer, won't cause you any problems, LL reduces your mobility to around 90% of it's previous level. For a 20 or 30 year old this wouldn't be a problem. They'd recover and their body would eventually get used to it. However, for a 45 year old man, recovering from LL might take a few years to recover from, especially if you lengthen it for more than 2 inches, and your "recovered" self might have the mobility of a 60 year old man.

If your really serious about this, I'd advise an exercise regimen that is appropriate for your age to strengthen your legs, especially one that includes swimming and running. Strong, muscled and flexible legs will speed up your recovery immensely.

secondchance

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2020, 05:48:56 PM »

While recovery, other than maybe taking longer, won't cause you any problems, LL reduces your mobility to around 90% of it's previous level. For a 20 or 30 year old this wouldn't be a problem. They'd recover and their body would eventually get used to it. However, for a 45 year old man, recovering from LL might take a few years to recover from, especially if you lengthen it for more than 2 inches, and your "recovered" self might have the mobility of a 60 year old man.

If your really serious about this, I'd advise an exercise regimen that is appropriate for your age to strengthen your legs, especially one that includes swimming and running. Strong, muscled and flexible legs will speed up your recovery immensely.

Thank you Ostentician, and thanks to the others who have replied to my question.  This all sounds like good advice.  Regarding an exercise regimen, how do I develop one?  I know very little about the human body.  And I'm not exactly fond of the idea of asking my local gym to give me one designed to help prep me for cosmetic leg lengthening surgery..... how can I get around this and still find someone who can help build an exercise regimen and monitor my progress?  I feel like I'm more likely to succeed if I have a coach who holds me accountable and can tweak my regimen as progress dictates.

Ostentician

• Visitor
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2020, 07:35:38 PM »

Yes, a coach is a good idea. But make sure to tell them the exact reason your exercising and trying to get fit, don't hide your plans for LL so that they can make an exercise regimen that ensures your legs are in perfect condition for the surgery. Getting a little embarrassed and maybe getting one or two curious remarks from your coach is much better than exercising incorrectly and having your legs screwed up for the rest of your life. Make sure the regimen has lots of jumping & swimming, as those help with improving leg muscles immensely.

ghkid2019

• Inactive account
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2020, 08:59:26 PM »

Thank you Ostentician, and thanks to the others who have replied to my question.  This all sounds like good advice.  Regarding an exercise regimen, how do I develop one?  I know very little about the human body.  And I'm not exactly fond of the idea of asking my local gym to give me one designed to help prep me for cosmetic leg lengthening surgery..... how can I get around this and still find someone who can help build an exercise regimen and monitor my progress?  I feel like I'm more likely to succeed if I have a coach who holds me accountable and can tweak my regimen as progress dictates.

Dude it doesn't fking matter you don't need to say  . Just focus on a regimen that focuses on stretching and mobility on the legs and thighs. Touch your toes or wrap your hands around your toes. Just stop bullshietng yourself because you won't do LL if you keep this stupid attitude
This account is no longer in use.

User requested self-ban.

cyborg4life

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2020, 11:31:09 PM »

Hey secondchance, you got your priorities straight in that you want to ensure you are healthy enough to get the procedure done without taking away from your quality of life any. As someone who has been involved with athletics and coached several people myself over the years, I suggest consulting with a LL doctor to see if LL is feasible based on your situation to be safe. But as mentioned, age could potentially slow recovery times and having a strategic plan will be the true determinant in your success. So keep researching, simply making an impulsive decision to do LL is not smart. Best of luck!
Your friendly neighborhood Cyborg spreading LL awareness
https://cyborg4life.com/
YouTube: Cyborg 4 Life

Sweden

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2020, 05:17:23 AM »

Why didn’t you go crazy over your height like 15-20 years ago? There has always been institutes that lengthen your legs during that time.

You’re not too old. My advice for you is to start running and stretch dynamically. Read every day about nutrition and get interested in the world of fitness.
173cm before LL with Sarin, jan -13. Now 180cm tall. Considering 5cm on femurs.

California2

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2020, 03:55:42 PM »

I was 56 when I lengthened my tibias by 9 cm.  You can read about my journey at "St. Petersburg--Distraction Completed".

So far as I know, I was the oldest patient who had the surgery with the Solomin/Kulesh team.

I think my age had little to do with my success. 

I know my self-discipline contributed greatly to my success.

Perhaps you might do well to ask yourself whether you have the necessary self-discipline to succeed?

Best of luck no matter how you choose.

PANDA:BEAR..

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2020, 06:53:45 PM »

9cm ... wow..

MrJames

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2020, 02:49:23 PM »

I was 56 when I lengthened my tibias by 9 cm.  You can read about my journey at "St. Petersburg--Distraction Completed".

So far as I know, I was the oldest patient who had the surgery with the Solomin/Kulesh team.

I think my age had little to do with my success. 

I know my self-discipline contributed greatly to my success.

Perhaps you might do well to ask yourself whether you have the necessary self-discipline to succeed?

Best of luck no matter how you choose.

9 cm for tibias... unbelievable.. Bravo

Pretty high for tibia. How are you now ? Is there any problem?

secondchance

• Visitor
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2020, 12:09:47 AM »

Many thanks to all who responded constructively.  I know I want the surgery.  I also know I still have a lot of work to do in understanding the risks and how I can best set myself up for a successful recovery. 

The surgery itself is not the only complexity which must be managed.  I run a business.  Missing 6 months of work would require extensive planning on my part.

Later this year I'll schedule consults with one or two CLL doctors.  I don't mind paying twice for a second opinion.  In the meantime I will get started on adjusting my diet and physical activity.

I have absolutely no athletic ability.  Zero.  Never did, even as a child.  So I'm not sure there's much of that for me to lose.  The "sport" which gives me the greatest pleasure is salsa dancing.  Maybe I'm ignorant, but I can only see positive benefits from CLL for this.  I suck at dancing today but I know a lot of that is because I'm so self-conscious about being smaller than most of the girls on the dance floor.  Going from 5ft 4in to 5ft 8in (or 5ft 9in) would do wonders for my dance floor confidence.

BetzLandLiberator

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2020, 01:12:55 AM »

I have absolutely no athletic ability.  Zero.  Never did, even as a child.  So I'm not sure there's much of that for me to lose.  The "sport" which gives me the greatest pleasure is salsa dancing.  Maybe I'm ignorant, but I can only see positive benefits from CLL for this.  I suck at dancing today but I know a lot of that is because I'm so self-conscious about being smaller than most of the girls on the dance floor.  Going from 5ft 4in to 5ft 8in (or 5ft 9in) would do wonders for my dance floor confidence.

I think LL will be very dangerous for you, not because of your age but because you have been out of shape your whole life. The patients that do best tend to be the ones that have been working out since they were kids or teenagers.
In my 8 months in Germany for my LL it was very clear that the best results were from 1) Guys who practiced weightlifting, martial arts and/or yoga (I've practiced all of those); 2) Dancers and Gymnasts, uusally females. And even in those cases every one of them struggled after 7cm.

I'm a strong supporter of CLL but I think you really have to think this hard.  I'm not sure your body can handle this.

secondchance

• Visitor
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2020, 04:01:11 AM »

I think LL will be very dangerous for you, not because of your age but because you have been out of shape your whole life. The patients that do best tend to be the ones that have been working out since they were kids or teenagers.
In my 8 months in Germany for my LL it was very clear that the best results were from 1) Guys who practiced weightlifting, martial arts and/or yoga (I've practiced all of those); 2) Dancers and Gymnasts, uusally females. And even in those cases every one of them struggled after 7cm.

I'm a strong supporter of CLL but I think you really have to think this hard.  I'm not sure your body can handle this.

Thank you, this is a very good point you make.  And that's why I want to arrange consults with a couple of LL doctors before I get my hopes set too high on having the surgery.  My hamstrings are super tight.  This is probably my greatest cause for concern and a topic I will certainly bring up during the consult. But it's the stuff I'm oblivious to that gives me the greatest anxiety.  I have no idea what other parts of my body might be of concern. 

One thing I do know: whether I perform CLL or not, I've got to get myself into better shape.  Period.  I bought a gym membership earlier this year....about 2 hours before the governor closed all gyms in the state to prevent coronavirus spread, ha ha.  Fortunately that coincided with the weather turning nice, so now three times a week I've been walking for couple of miles at an elevated pace.  It's a small start but a start nonetheless. 

California2

« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2020, 03:57:25 PM »

There is no downside to getting in shape.  Carrying appropriate weight, having some muscle tone, and good flexibility are all beneficial and require no historic athletic ability.

However, you will NOT go from 5' 4" to 5' 8" as a result of surgery.  More like 5' 4" to 5' 6"; then, two years of hard work to get back to salsa dancing.

10cmOnTibiaOrGTFO

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2020, 04:09:12 PM »

4inches is possible. but only when doing femur and tibia.
doing it one one bone will defeinitely cripple you

secondchance

• Visitor
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2020, 07:24:22 PM »

There is no downside to getting in shape.  Carrying appropriate weight, having some muscle tone, and good flexibility are all beneficial and require no historic athletic ability.

However, you will NOT go from 5' 4" to 5' 8" as a result of surgery.  More like 5' 4" to 5' 6"; then, two years of hard work to get back to salsa dancing.

I should have been more clear - I don't plan on attempting to add 4 inches to my femurs alone.  I was thinking 2 inches on femurs, 2 inches on tibias.  If I could squeeze out an extra half-inch that would be even better but I'll take what I can get!

Flexibility is my biggest concern.  When I was active in the gym a few years ago, my arms and legs would put on muscle super fast.  But flexibility, especially with my hamstrings, has always been a challenge.

California2

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2020, 09:12:08 PM »

I encourage you to measure (as best you can) your femur length and tibia length. 

Most surgeons will readily approve a lengthening of up to 10% of either bone.  Most surgeons can be talked into another 5% if the first 10% went well.  Beyond that, the risk increases dramatically.

Also, please do not assume you can readily lengthen 10% on tibias or femurs; then, repeat the same process on the non-lengthened bone to easily achieve 20%.

Once you lengthen either tibias or femurs by any amount, you reduce the amount you can successfully lengthen the non-lengthened bone on the same leg. 

This is so because when you lengthen one segment of bone, you stretch the soft tissues from ankle to hip.  Once these tissues are stretched from the first lengthening, there is less stretch available for the second lengthening.

My guidance to to get as much length as you can on the first surgery; then, once largely recovered decide whether you want to do more.
Pages: [1]   Go Up