Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: chasing a lifetime dream  (Read 20739 times)

OverSixFeetTall

Re: chasing a lifetime dream
« Reply #124 on: October 13, 2020, 06:29:17 PM »

Heya Sunshine,

Great journal!

What's your goal height?

Also, since you're an active runner your whole life. What will do for cardio after recovering from this? What did the doctor suggest you do for exercise?
My Current Height: 5'9
My Goal Height: 6'0
Lengthen: Femurs

Sunshine

« Reply #125 on: October 13, 2020, 09:39:03 PM »

Thanks OverSixFeetTall!
My goal is to reach that symbolic 180cm. My doctor emphasized on stretching during lengthening for my soft tissues to cope with distraction. As for exercices to regain my cardio, I probably know better than him what it will take to regrow my heart lungs and cardio. I've been through a 12-year period in the past where I stopped running and it was a pain in the arse to catch-up. But first I'll have to rebuild my glutes and work on my hip flexors. Then I'll focus on stretching the thigh muscles group (anterior posterior and lateral). Then I'll start running slowly again. It will be hell due to my shrunken heart and lungs. And I don't know yet how my new biomechanics will affect my balance stride ankles joints feet etc. It will be a long road to redemption...
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 10:22:32 PM by Sunshine »

Sunshine

« Reply #126 on: October 19, 2020, 11:58:50 PM »

Hi LLers,
Some updates!

10/19/2020 - 6.9 cm

I'm nearing the end of this odyssey. 11 days to go! My thighs are incredibly tense. Surviving the night from bedtime to sunrise has become the highlight of each day towards the end of this journey. The pain and discomfort in the thighs are unbelievable especially after the last distraction of the day. I probably get only 2-3 hours sleep a night. I'm still amazed how my body can still produce so much callus despite the stress pain and so few sleep! It must be the diet lol. I've never consumed so much milk cheese and yogurt in my life! A first glimpse of relief came today from Doctor Buldu: he just allowed me to slow down distraction! I can take 1 or 2 days off then continue distraction at 0.66mm/day if I so desire for the remaining 1.1cm. I can finally give my legs a break! That will however extend the journey by a couple days.
I've learned a few things throughout this journey and can now see clearer the difference between precice and stryde in terms of muscle maintenance and recovery.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 01:27:05 AM by Sunshine »

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #127 on: October 20, 2020, 02:47:06 AM »

Hi LLers,
Some updates!

10/19/2020 - 6.9 cm

I'm nearing the end of this odyssey. 11 days to go! My thighs are incredibly tense. Surviving the night from bedtime to sunrise has become the highlight of each day towards the end of this journey. The pain and discomfort in the thighs are unbelievable especially after the last distraction of the day. I probably get only 2-3 hours sleep a night. I'm still amazed how my body can still produce so much callus despite the stress pain and so few sleep! It must be the diet lol. I've never consumed so much milk cheese and yogurt in my life! A first glimpse of relief came today from Doctor Buldu: he just allowed me to slow down distraction! I can take 1 or 2 days off then continue distraction at 0.66mm/day if I so desire for the remaining 1.1cm. I can finally give my legs a break! That will however extend the journey by a couple days.
I've learned a few things throughout this journey and can now see clearer the difference between precice and stryde in terms of muscle maintenance and recovery.

Sunshine bro,
Very proud of you!   11 more distraction days and your journey will reach its most important milestone! Have you tried getting into bathtub during night times, when you cannot sleep? Have a towel handy to dry your hands, so you can check your laptop/cellphone while enjoying the hot water. 
Starting [Morning] Height: 172.5 cm, Ending: 180.5
SNC - Femurs' Stryde Nail Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=65337.0

Sunshine

« Reply #128 on: October 20, 2020, 03:47:24 AM »

Sunshine bro,
Very proud of you!   11 more distraction days and your journey will reach its most important milestone! Have you tried getting into bathtub during night times, when you cannot sleep? Have a towel handy to dry your hands, so you can check your laptop/cellphone while enjoying the hot water.
SNC Bro,
Unfortunately my bathroom comes with a shower instead of a bathtub so I can’t tell if hot baths would help my pain. I noticed though in the past even taking hot showers didn’t really lower my legs pain. This might be specific to each individual. My pain should improve now for the remaining of my journey since my doctor allows me to slow down distraction.
I’m very impressed by your 14-day 1.33mm distraction stretch! My legs would have never handled such a stress lol.
I hope you manage to get out of your last painkiller soon and wish you a good recovery.

AnotherShorty

« Reply #129 on: October 20, 2020, 06:08:28 AM »

Hi Sunshine,
I always feel happy to see your updates that you are lengthening and things are going fine for you  ( no complications so far with god’s grace)...
11 days and you can lock that machine in your cupboard:) and then the waiting game begins...
I wonder hows your physio going? Isn’t it suppose to make that pain and stiffness go away? Also, did you try walking, I know you won’t do much cuz of precice but I was wondering about your gait ...

Again, thanks for your constant updates and guidance.... keep us posted

Best regards
We need advancements in LL, and I need money, time, strength and opportunity !!

Sunshine

« Reply #130 on: October 20, 2020, 04:08:39 PM »

Hi Sunshine,
I always feel happy to see your updates that you are lengthening and things are going fine for you  ( no complications so far with god’s grace)...
11 days and you can lock that machine in your cupboard:) and then the waiting game begins...
I wonder hows your physio going? Isn’t it suppose to make that pain and stiffness go away? Also, did you try walking, I know you won’t do much cuz of precice but I was wondering about your gait ...

Again, thanks for your constant updates and guidance.... keep us posted

Best regards
Thanks AnotherShorty!
Yes so far so good though I shall admit my pain and stiffness could have been better. Reason is I've been PTing myself since I got back home!
As for walking, well I haven't been chained to a wheelchair throughout this journey! I walked since day 2 throughout! With the walker of course lol. I had fears standing up on day 2 due to these Precice limitations. They're supposed to bear only 25kg per leg for the thinnest nail. But my doctor said I could walk with the walker due to my intermediary nail diameter and my weight! There was another guy on this forum with very similar vitals to mine ( he was 172cm/140 pounds ) who said in his diary that he too walked throughout his journey on Precice and with the help of his walker. Unfortunately I can't remember his name and he's not coming back on this forum. Now don't think you can go out there and walk or weight bear on Precice lol. Follow your doctor's instructions.
I can't say much about my gait as I can't walk unaided. But I think it should be terrible the day I can after consolidation and such a long period without weight bearing!

Skyisthelimit

« Reply #131 on: October 20, 2020, 07:35:07 PM »

Hey there Sunshine,
    I’ve been waiting to see some updates from you! The callus looks great! I’m sure your surgeon told you so as well. I’m rooting for you to get to the 8cm mark! Just keep pushing brother, you’re almost there. A few more days and you’re done with the distraction phase and will be focusing on consolidation. Just think that in a few days you’re done with lengthening and your legs will take the break that they so desperately need. I’m considering Dr. Buldu, but a few days ago I saw a video of him explaining to one of his patients that they could go up to 12.5cm on femurs and 8cm on tibia. I’m not gonna lie... I got a little disappointed and worried about his answers. Clearly he doesn’t think there is a safe limit, and uses the hardware limitations to set his boundaries. Anywho, I hope you beat these last few days and achieve your dream! Stay strong!

Sky

Sunshine

« Reply #132 on: October 20, 2020, 08:34:56 PM »

Hey there Sunshine,
    I’ve been waiting to see some updates from you! The callus looks great! I’m sure your surgeon told you so as well. I’m rooting for you to get to the 8cm mark! Just keep pushing brother, you’re almost there. A few more days and you’re done with the distraction phase and will be focusing on consolidation. Just think that in a few days you’re done with lengthening and your legs will take the break that they so desperately need. I’m considering Dr. Buldu, but a few days ago I saw a video of him explaining to one of his patients that they could go up to 12.5cm on femurs and 8cm on tibia. I’m not gonna lie... I got a little disappointed and worried about his answers. Clearly he doesn’t think there is a safe limit, and uses the hardware limitations to set his boundaries. Anywho, I hope you beat these last few days and achieve your dream! Stay strong!

Sky
Thanks Sky,
The end of the tunnel is within sight now! I'm reaching my absolute limit and in 10 days my legs will rest forever lol.
So I just watched the video you're talking about and guess who that patient of him that has incredible callus at an advanced age (though I think he's slightly mistaken on that figure lol) is ?
I can't talk for him regarding his thoughts on going beyond 8cm. I know in my case my legs would never handle more than 8cm. You can always have a conversation with him and make your mind about him.

lolwhyamidoingthis

« Reply #133 on: October 28, 2020, 04:40:16 AM »

Hi Sunshine!!

Hope you are doing well my friend, I am currently in the exact same stage as you and i totally feel what you are saying. I’m also doing femurs with Halil but LON the brokeboi version. Currently around 8 hoping for 9 if my body will be so kind as to let me. I feel lucky since i see you are in a lot of pain and have a lot of tightness. Rest assured that when you stop lengthening your legs will stop being on fire very quickly. How is your knee flexion if you dont mind me asking?

Hang in there buddy, all the best!  :D

Sunshine

« Reply #134 on: October 28, 2020, 06:43:20 AM »

Hi Sunshine!!

Hope you are doing well my friend, I am currently in the exact same stage as you and i totally feel what you are saying. I’m also doing femurs with Halil but LON the brokeboi version. Currently around 8 hoping for 9 if my body will be so kind as to let me. I feel lucky since i see you are in a lot of pain and have a lot of tightness. Rest assured that when you stop lengthening your legs will stop being on fire very quickly. How is your knee flexion if you dont mind me asking?

Hang in there buddy, all the best!  :D
Hey lolwhyimdoingthis,
I saw your diary and it looks like we were in Istanbul at the same time last summer! Yes I'm finishing and reaching 8 in couple days. It's been a hell of a ride for me. My trouble started on the left knee at 1.7cm then IT Band and all quads muscles kicked in at 3.3cm lol. Somehow the pain plateaued until 5cm then went up a notch from there and is now inching to its peak! My IT Band and thighs are incredibly tense and at their absolute limit. I had to skip the 3rd daily distraction couple times because the pain was simply unbearable!
My knee flexion hasn't been great since day 2. Today my left leg reaches 110, my right probably 120 (based on 180 straight legs).
I can't wait for this to end so my legs can rest forever lol.
How about your flexion ? Can you bend your knees past 90* ? Do you have any tightness in your IT Band and quads ?
I wish you good luck and hope you will reach that last 9th! That will give you an incredible height 🙂

lolwhyamidoingthis

« Reply #135 on: October 28, 2020, 10:11:16 AM »

Ahh god damn bro, your pains started really early. Its quite impressive the way you have soldiered on though, a lot of people would tap out early. My flexion is about 100/110 and i was really happy about that until i saw your number  >:( . I have had a few of those painful sleepless nights you talk about and they are definitely so frustrating, constantly searching for the possibility that there might be a position that gives you the slightest bit of comfort xD.

Despite my knee flexion not being that great, my legs dont "feel" tight, they definitely feel a lot looser when i walk and do exercises, this happened after the fixator adjustment and i have no idea why lol. I think God has watched over me because i have not had a single problem with my IT bands during the entire lengthening period, the quads and hamstrings have been the only troublesome areas, but they are so easy to stretch. IT band stretches are not that fun to perform with the fixators on lmao.

Did Halil tell you how long you had to wait after you finish lengthening before you can walk safely? Also, when you mention "trouble" regarding your left knee, is it strictly pain?

Sunshine

« Reply #136 on: October 28, 2020, 04:03:55 PM »

Bro,
There's actually a misunderstanding on the knee flexion angle. I can't even bend my knees to a right angle! If you can bend yours past a right angle then your flexion is definitely better than mine lol.
I had electric shooting pains on the left knee very early on. It wasn't constant pain and would only occur when I started moving my knee (especially laterally) after long periods of stillness like when I wake up or after laying down for a while! I started getting that shooting pain around 1.7cm on the left knee then occasionally on the right knee too! That freaked me out at the time cuz I thought I would never reach my target with that kind of pain at such an early stage. But for some reason the pain on the knees subsided at around 3.3cm and eventually went away! I too am surprised I made it till today lol despite the increasing stiffness and pain! I think it's due to my tolerance to pain. I've been living with it throughout my life.
For the sleep, I fall asleep on the stomach position then toss the whole night lol. I've never had a single straight night sleep. It's been the worst part of my journey.
Dr. Halil didn't say when I can walk safely after lengthening. I think we will discuss about that after my next x-rays. I don't feel comfortable walking unaided until my callus is fully consolidated so I guess another 4 to 6 months before that could be possible.
It's a very long journey...

Sunshine

« Reply #137 on: October 30, 2020, 10:09:24 PM »

Hello Forum,
so yesterday towards the end of my 3rd and last distraction of the day, I heard a grinding noise similar to what StrydeNailChallenge described in his diary when his nail hit 8cm. I removed the ERC from my skin and thoughts started piling in my mind. Needless to say i had a hard time sleeping last night as I kept thinking about what I suspected! This morning I went straight to the radiology center after breakfast. Back home 2 hours ago and sent Dr. Buldu my x-rays and the verdict is out: my journey is over!

10/30/2020 - 8 cm

I can't believe this is it! It's been 80 days since my first distraction, 240 distractions total each lasting 2 minutes!
I reached my goal! I've been waiting for this day for so long.
It's been a hell of a ride this journey. I can't believe I survived all the pain and stiffness and uncertainties.
Some thoughts looking back: when I went into this surgery, I accepted the risks involved. I'm grateful for my surgeon, thanks God my journey went smoothly so far except for the stiffness lol.

Thighs are definitely slimmer and longer lol

Quads are incredibly tense

« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 11:06:56 PM by Sunshine »

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #138 on: October 30, 2020, 11:04:02 PM »

Hello Forum,
so yesterday towards the end of my 3rd and last distraction of the day, I heard a grinding noise similar to what StrydeNailChallenge described in his diary when his nail hit 8cm. I removed the ERC from my skin and thoughts started piling in my mind. Needless to say i had a hard time sleeping last night as I kept thinking about what I suspected! This morning I went straight to the radiology center after breakfast. Back home 2 hours ago and sent Dr. Buldu my x-rays and the verdict is out: my journey is over!

Congratulations bro!! I was also waiting for your day too bro :)  Glad this phase is over for you!! Now here comes the consolidation/recovery phase, and I believe you'll nail it, considering your atheism and carefulness.   

SNC - Femurs' Stryde Nail Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=65337.0

Sunshine

« Reply #139 on: October 30, 2020, 11:49:49 PM »

Thanks Bro!
I was counting the days this past week lol. My legs were dying for this day to finally come so they can breathe lol. Now another 4 to 6 months to full consolidation so I can put weight on my legs and start proper stretching and loading on them. TBH I won't be 100% comfortable and confident pushing my body until the rods are out. I can feel them protruding from the top femur condyles and at the distal knee end too! Now I can see proper recovery doesn't start before at least a year post-op!
How about on your side? Are you 100% painkiller-free now ?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2020, 02:23:09 AM by Sunshine »

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #140 on: October 31, 2020, 12:04:28 AM »

Thanks Bro!
I was counting the days this past week lol. My legs were dying for this day to finally come so they can breathe lol. Now another 4 to 6 months to full consolidation so I can put weight on my legs and start proper stretching and loading on them. TBH I won't be 100% comfortable and confident pushing my body until the rods are out. I can feel them protrude from the top femurs condyles and at the distal knee end too! Now I can see proper recovery doesn't start before at least a year post-op!

You explained the feeling of rod in femur, very well!  I also feel them too!  when I push it while bending knees, I sometime feel like they are about to pop out of my upper knee caps!!  It's a creepy feeling!

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #141 on: October 31, 2020, 12:08:44 AM »

Thanks Bro!
I was counting the days this past week lol. My legs were dying for this day to finally come so they can breathe lol. Now another 4 to 6 months to full consolidation so I can put weight on my legs and start proper stretching and loading on them. TBH I won't be 100% comfortable and confident pushing my body until the rods are out. I can feel them protrude from the top femurs condyles and at the distal knee end too! Now I can see proper recovery doesn't start before at least a year post-op!

Yes, I have been 100% painkiller free since Tue., Oct 20th, which was day 90 post-op and also Consolidation Day 9!  That's great. 

Pain level on a scale of 10, ranges from 0 to 3, on each leg; almost equally! By the way, finally left and right are more or less at the same level of pain! This is a big change, cause before last day of distraction, almost all post-op days were like terrible on left and normal on right!!

I have been surprised by the stiffness of my legs, even now, on Consolidation Day 19!!   I stretch three times per day and walk at least one mile in a park closeby in addition to walking around the house to take care of errands. I do multiple short indoor cycling sessions and also try to take stairs each day.

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #142 on: October 31, 2020, 03:07:45 PM »

Congratulations bro!! I was also waiting for your day too bro :)  Glad this phase is over for you!! Now here comes the consolidation/recovery phase, and I believe you'll nail it, considering your atheism and carefulness.

I just noticed this bad typo. I meant to write, athleticism  Sorry for the mistake.

Sunshine

« Reply #143 on: October 31, 2020, 03:52:01 PM »

No problem at all Bro! We all knew what you meant 😂

Another look back,
August 5 - surgery day, hours before I say farewell to my previous me...

lolwhyamidoingthis

« Reply #144 on: October 31, 2020, 04:14:56 PM »

No problem at all Bro! We all knew what you meant 😂

Another look back,
August 5 - surgery day, hours before I say farewell to my previous me...

Congrats Sunshine!! I'm happy for you bro, so good that you pushed through it and reached your goal. I wish you the best in the consolidation phase  :)

Sunshine

« Reply #145 on: October 31, 2020, 04:50:10 PM »

Thanks Bro!
You will be at an incredible height when you reach your 9cm goal! Another thought when I look back 20 years ago when I wish I did this surgery in my 20's. Had I had the funds back then I would have done it with the then available Ilizarov method. Years passed and I ended up doing this surgery very late and probably missed out all the benefits from my 20's to 40's. How much benefit did I miss? I will never know. But I finally did it. Sure very late but I still feel like 21 in my mind lol. Age is just a number...

BelowTheMean

« Reply #146 on: October 31, 2020, 05:37:01 PM »

Congrats on hitting 8cm, Sunshine! Age is indeed just a number.
Stryde Femurs - Debiparshad - Nov 2020
Nail Removal - Downey - Apr 2022
Journal (169cm -> 177cm) http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=65617

Current Status: Recovered, moving on

Sunshine

« Reply #147 on: October 31, 2020, 06:24:18 PM »

Thanks BelowTheMean!
Good luck for your journey! I wish you will reach 8cm too! Your background will serve you well in this long journey..

GenralizedAnxietyDisorder

• Visitor
« Reply #148 on: October 31, 2020, 06:32:48 PM »

What a great diary Sunshine! I first overlooked it because the doctor wasn't of choice to me but regardless I think you had a good outcome and are happy. It seems like Dr. Buldu is professional and good.

I have been postponing this surgery since ages and I totally get how you feel about doing it later than sooner. I am still a little on the younger side but feel a bit depressed that I've been thinking all this while but never took the plunge. Your journey is inspiring me to go through with it. I will however likely do one side at a time because my anxiety levels are through the roof.

Sunshine

« Reply #149 on: October 31, 2020, 07:15:45 PM »

Thanks GenralizedAnxietyDisorder!
I'm very thankful to Dr. Buldu. I had no doubt about him when I put my legs into his hands. From my personal interaction with him I can say he's a great Human Being! Consolidation is still couple months away but so far my surgery and distraction have been smooth except for my struggle with stiffness.
If you can do your surgery now, don't waste any time! It's sad to say but don't make the same mistake as me! I will never know what I lost all these years, how being taller would have impacted my life! This I will never know. One thing for sure is better late than never 😂
Think carefully about your plans of doing 1 leg at a time. You may salvage a healthy leg if things turn sour but you will go through this surgery twice and there's no such thing as a risk-free surgery...

• Visitor
« Reply #150 on: October 31, 2020, 07:33:01 PM »

Thanks Sunshine. What are the extra risks you see with doing 2 surgeries? I mean I know it's very inconvenient and double the stress, but what are some potential long term side effects? The only one I've heard is from spinal anaesthesia - some people claim back pain for years after surgery. Other than that, what additional risks do you see from doing one leg at a time?

Sunshine

« Reply #151 on: October 31, 2020, 07:52:13 PM »

Well the surgery itself is a huge one with anesthesia osteotomy incisions drilling rod insertion blood loss and all the risks involved, all those complications risks such as fat embolism infection cardiovascular incidents etc...
Doing 1 single surgery is already risking catching any of those complications so you must be aware that going for another surgery is going through all those risks again!
I don't want to scare you but if you decided to do so then you should discuss your plans with your surgeon thoroughly..
As for long term side effects, one of them would be misalignment that could affect your knee joints which would lead to arthritis. For anesthesia you should be able to choose between epidural or general anesthesia. I personally got general anesthesia and I think it's less painful then epidural!

• Visitor
« Reply #152 on: October 31, 2020, 08:09:50 PM »

Thanks Sunshine. Complications of blood loss, embolism, osteotomy, reaming, drilling etc are all halved when you do one leg at a time. Even if you do both legs together, it's like two separate surgeries on 2 legs after all. The only added risk I see is from anaesthesia. I am a bit afraid of long term effects of it.

Of course I will discuss this with my surgeon. Thank you for your inputs.

• Visitor
« Reply #153 on: October 31, 2020, 08:11:41 PM »

and please keep us updated about your recovery. I am positive you will get back to long distance running in due time :)

Sunshine

« Reply #154 on: October 31, 2020, 08:37:21 PM »

Complications of blood loss, embolism, osteotomy, reaming, drilling etc are all halved when you do one leg at a time. Even if you do both legs together, it's like two separate surgeries on 2 legs after all.
That's an interesting point of view! I didn't look at the surgery from this angle and I have to admit what you say makes sense!
Well infection risks and anesthesia accidents are still there whether you do 1 leg or both together. Many things can occur while you're under anesthesia and being operated on, that's why they have to monitor your vitals to prepare for the eventuality of a stroke or shock or whatever incident may happen.
I sure will update my diary once I get back on my legs and running because I myself am curious too about my body's ability to recover. That won't happen until at least 12-15 months post-op when the rods will be out!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up