Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Dr. Köhne Femur 2020 Stryde  (Read 5412 times)

germanlim

Dr. Köhne Femur 2020 Stryde
« on: June 22, 2020, 11:31:03 AM »

Hello,

i had my surgery this year in feb 2020 with stryde. I am in the mid 20's.
I want to look back the last months for you.

It was late, very late, that cold day in February when I woke up from the anaesthesia in the recovery room. But I was overjoyed. It was done. The day I had been working towards for over 10 years, it had come true.  I asked the nurse to push me into my room. The rest of the evening went by very quickly. I ate and drank something and was still very tired because of the anaesthesia. So I could sleep well the first night.

When I was woken up for breakfast the next day, I had pain for the first time. Even passing water was very painful, because every movement was a torture. The first two days after the operation were by far the worst. And so I seriously asked myself: "How can I go back to work in two weeks?" I would recommend to eat as little as possible during these two days, because the way to the toilet (approx. 5m) was like a felt world trip.
But on the third day after the operation it got much better. Here I had my first physiotherapy appointment and was able to walk again for the first time with the help of a walking frame. It was an incredible feeling. And also the way to the bathroom was much easier from now on.
On the 4th day Dr. Gengenbach visited me and explained to me how the lengthening works.  It is really very easy and painless. Since it was anatomically impossible for me to recognize the line painted on the thigh, I developed a simple technique to do the lengthening on my own. Through the slit on the controller I put a yardstick on the painted line on the thigh and guided the controller to its correct position.

After 6 days I could leave the hospital and from then on I was able to walk on crutches. However, I would recommend a wheelchair for further distances. In the morning and in the evening I extended my walk and recorded it afterwards. The second week was much better than the first. However, sleeping at night was not very pleasant. About the first four weeks you can only sleep on your back, because it is too painful on the lateral hip. So I often woke up at night. On average I slept for about 5 hours. For me the nights were the worst part of the complete leg extension. My recommendation is to rub the legs with “Franz-Brant-Wein“. This relaxes the muscles and vision and it is at least a little more pleasant. After 14 days the stitches were removed and from then on I could shower again. Most of the time I had very little pain. Occasionally, however, especially after lengthening, there can be acute pain. In my case this mostly occurred on my shin, because the pain moved from top to bottom. But with a painkiller this was easy to bear.
In the following week (week 3) I had to go back to work. It was a very exhausting time. I hardly felt any pain, but the nights cost a lot of energy. Therefore I was prescribed sleeping pills for two weeks, which led to a significant improvement. However, it is quite possible to work during a leg extension, as long as it is office work.  Driving should be avoided for insurance reasons. In retrospect, I have to say that the leg extension would have been only half as strenuous if I had been able to stay at home. The positive aspects of the work were the social contacts and the distraction.
A typical day for me looked something like this:
6:45 a.m.: getting up and stretching
7:00 am: Get ready for work incl. 5 minutes stretching
8- 18:30: Work incl. outward and return journey
19:00 -19:30 Physiotherapy
19:45-19:50: Extend
8:00 p.m. Dinner
10 pm: 15 minutes of stretching and then Sleep

If you are working, I would recommend that you do not take the muscle relaxant until after work, as the fatigue caused by it greatly impairs performance. I always took it before falling asleep, which allowed me to kill two birds with one stone.

Due to the limited mobility, not all exercises can be done. But my therapist showed me enough. The regular check-ups confirmed that the lengthening worked perfectly. The progress has made me proud and motivated me further, but knowing that it will still be a long and rocky road...
The check-ups took place at my own request, usually on Friday late afternoon, as this was more compatible with my work. As this is a group practice, the appointments can usually be made very conveniently for the patient.  Fortunately I had a relative who drove me to Geretsried, which is only an hour away from me. Thus the examinations did not represent a large load for me.
From the fourth week on, a daily routine crept in. From now on the pain was hardly present. From about this time on, sleeping became better and I could lie on my side again, even if it was not like before the operation. Every day I thought about the end of the extension period. That is perhaps like someone in prison counting down the days until his release. 
After reaching the 5th centimeter, it gets exponentially harder. The body begins to rebel against its change. The muscles become stiffer and immobile, walking becomes harder. For the first time I could feel how the nail extends during the extension. However, it was not an unpleasant feeling. At night I now had some severe pain, which could not be completely relieved by painkillers.  But I did not want to lose sight of my goal and gritted my teeth. Pain passes, but the new size will last a lifetime!
And then he was there. The day of the new life. I had so many plans for it. Buying new trousers. Preferably all day with people. Screaming with happiness. That's not how it happened. How often in life is anticipation the best part? Because the unfolding of joy takes more time than the present moment.

The worst time, the distraction phase was thus over. After a few days the nightly pains had disappeared.  The sleep returned to its normalcy and I did not have to take any tablets or take thrombosis injections. It is not possible to walk again as before overnight, but it goes uphill quickly and about three weeks after the end of the extension I started walking again without crutches. However, I still have to work on my gait pattern. The new independence was also a blessing. Since I could walk without crutches again, everyday things like carrying a plate were much easier.
It is recommended to initiate your closest family, because without any help it can be difficult during this time. I lost a total of 13kg by lengthening my leg. So an initial overweight is not necessarily disadvantageous. The suffering due to my previously very small size has decreased significantly. It is simply wrong what psychologists want to tell you about this topic. These problems can be treated better with a scalpel than with words. In everyday life I notice my new centimeters strongly. I finally no longer feel abnormally small, I am at eye level with most people and definitely feel taken more seriously in the professional world. I also imagined the whole procedure to be much more painful. For me, my life has changed forever. I am forever grateful to Dr. med. Köhne for what he has done for me. He is simply a luminary and also a human role model!

« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 01:17:09 PM by germanlim »

germanlim

Re: Köhne Femur 2020
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2020, 11:32:44 AM »

For german People i have the text in german as well:

Es war spät, sehr spät, an jenem kalten Tag im Februar, als ich im Aufwachraum von der Narkose erwachte. Doch ich war überglücklich. Es war geschafft. Der Tag, auf den ich über 10 Jahre hingearbeitet habe, er ist wahr geworden.  Ich bat die Krankenschwester mich in mein Zimmer zu schieben. Die restliche Zeit des Abends verging sehr schnell. Ich habe eine Kleinigkeit gegessen und getrunken und war noch sehr müde aufgrund der Narkose. So konnte ich die erste Nacht gut schlafen.
Es ist wirklich sehr einfach und schmerzfrei.
Als ich am nächsten Tag fürs Frühstück geweckt wurde, hatte ich zum ersten mal Schmerzen. Selbst das Wasser lassen war sehr schmerzvoll, denn jede Bewegung war eine Qual. Die ersten beiden Tage nach der OP waren mit Abstand die schlimmsten. Und so fragte ich mich ernsthaft: „Wie soll ich in zwei Wochen wieder auf die Arbeit gehen?“ Ich würde empfehlen, in diesen beiden Tagen möglichst wenig zu essen, denn der Weg zur Toilette (ca. 5m) war einer gefühlten Weltreise gleichzusetzen.
Doch am dritten Tag nach der OP wurde es deutlich besser. Hier hatte ich den ersten Physiotermin und  konnte zum ersten mal mit der Hilfe eines Gehbocks wieder laufen. Es war ein unglaubliches Gefühl. Und auch der Weg in das Bad war fortan deutlich einfacher.
Am 4. Tag besuchte mich Herr Dr. Gengenbach und erläuterte mir, wie das Verlängern funktioniert.  Es ist wirklich sehr einfach und schmerzfrei. Da es anatomisch für mich nicht möglich war, den auf den Oberschenkel gemalten Strich zu erkennen, hab ich eine einfach Technik entwickelt eigenständig die Verlängerung durchzuführen. Durch den Schlitz am Controller steckte ich einen Meterstab auf den aufgemalten Strich am Oberschenkel und führte den Controller somit an seine richtige Stelle.

Nach 6 Tagen konnte ich das Krankenhaus verlassen und war von da an in der Lage auf Krücken zu laufen. Jedoch würde ich für weitere Strecken einen Rollstuhl empfehlen. Jeweils morgens und abends verlängerte ich und protokollierte dies anschließend. Die zweite Woche war deutlich besser als die erste. Das Schlafen Nachts war allerdings nicht sehr angenehm. Ungefähr die ersten vier Wochen kann man nur auf dem Rücken schlafen, da es an der seitlichen Hüfte zu schmerzhaft ist. So wachte ich Nachts oft auf. Im Durchschnitt schlief ich ungefähr 5 Stunden. Für mich waren die Nächte das Schlimmste an der kompletten Beinverlängerung. Meine Empfehlung ist die Beine mit Franzbranntwein einzureiben. Dadurch werden die Muskeln und Sehen entspannt und es ist zumindest etwas angenehmer. Nach 14 Tagen wurden die Fäden gezogen und ab da an konnte ich wieder duschen. Die meiste Zeit hatte ich sehr geringe Schmerzen. Vereinzelt kann es aber, insbesondere nach dem Verlängern, zu akuten Schmerzen kommen. Bei mir traten diese meist am Schienbein auf, da der Schmerz von oben nach unten wanderte. Mit einer Schmerztablette war dies aber gut zu ertragen.
In der darauffolgenden Woche (Woche 3) musste ich wieder zur Arbeit. Es war eine sehr anstrengende Zeit. Ich verspürte zwar kaum Schmerzen, aber die Nächte kosteten viel Kraft. Deshalb ließ ich mir für zwei Wochen Schlaftabletten verschreiben, die zu einer deutlichen Verbesserung führten. Es ist allerdings durchaus möglich während einer Beinverlängerung zu arbeiten, sofern es sich um Bürotätigkeit handelt.  Auf das Autofahren sollte aus Versicherungsgründen jedoch verzichtet werden. Im Nachhinein muss ich sagen, wäre die Beinverlängerung nur halb so anstrengend gewesen, wenn ich zuhause hätte bleiben können. Das Positive an der Arbeit waren hierbei die sozialen Kontakte und die Ablenkung.
Ein typischer Tag sah für mich in etwa wie folgt aus:
6:45 Uhr: Aufstehen und verlängern
7:00 Uhr: Fertig machen für die Arbeit inkl. 5 Minuten Dehnen
8- 18:30 Uhr: Arbeit inkl. Hin- und Rückfahrt
19:00 -19:30 Uhr Physiotherapie
19:45-19:50 Uhr: Verlängern
20: Uhr Abendessen
22 Uhr: 15 Minuten Dehnen und anschließend schlafen
Für den Fall einer Berufstätigkeit würde ich empfehlen, das Muskelentspannungsmittel erst nach der Arbeit zu nehmen, da die dadurch bedingte Müdigkeit die Leistungsfähigkeit stark beeinträchtigt. Ich nahm es immer vor dem Einschlafen, wodurch ich gleich zwei Fliegen mit einer Klappe schlagen konnte.

Aufgrund der eingeschränkten Beweglichkeit kann man nicht alle Übungen machen. Doch meine Therapeutin zeigte mir genug. Bei den regelmäßigen Kontrolluntersuchungen bestätigte sich, dass das Verlängern einwandfrei funktionierte. Der Fortschritt hat mich stolz gemacht und mich weiter motiviert, gleichwohl wissend, dass es noch ein langer, steiniger Weg sein wird…
Die Kontrolluntersuchungen erfolgten auf eigenen Wunsch meist Freitag spätnachmittags, da dies besser mit meiner Arbeit zu vereinbaren war. Da es sich um eine Gemeinschaftspraxis handelt, können die Termine in der Regel sehr günstig für den Patienten gelegt werden.  Zu meinem Glück hatte ich eine Angehörige, dich mich in das von mir nur eine Stunde entfernte Geretsried fuhr. Somit stellten die Untersuchungen keine große Belastung für mich dar.
Ab der vierten Woche schlich sich ein Alltag ein. Die Schmerzen waren von nun an kaum vorhanden. Ungefähr ab dieser Zeit wurde es auch mit dem Schlafen besser und ich konnte wieder seitlich liegen, auch wenn es nicht wie vor der Op war. Jeden Tag dachte ich an das Ende der Verlängerungszeit. Das ist vielleicht so, als würde jemand im Gefängnis die Tage runterzählen bis zu seiner Entlassung. 
Nach Erreichen des 5. cm wird es exponentiell härter. Der Körper beginnt sich gegen seine Veränderung aufzulehnen. Die Muskeln werden steifer und unbeweglicher, das Laufen wird schwerer. Erstmals konnte ich bei der Verlängerung fühlen wie sich der Nagel ausfährt. Es war allerdings kein unangenehmes Gefühl. Nachts hatte ich nun teils starke Schmerzen, die auch nicht ganz durch Schmerzmittel gelindert werden konnten.  Doch mein Ziel wollte ich nicht aus den Augen verlieren und biss die Zähne zusammen. Schmerzen gehen vorbei, doch die neue Größe bleibt ein Leben lang!
Und dann war er da. Der Tag des neuen Lebens. So viele Pläne hatte ich dafür. Neue Hosen kaufen. Am liebsten den ganzen Tag unter Menschen. Schreien vor Glück. So kam es aber nicht. Wie oft im Leben ist Vorfreude die schönste. Weil die Entfaltung der Freude mehr Zeit braucht als den Augenblick der Gegenwart.
Die schlimmste Zeit, die Distraktionsphase war somit geschafft. Nach wenigen Tagen waren auch die nächtlichen Schmerzen verschwunden.  Der Schlaf kehrte zu seiner Normalität zurück und ich musste weder Tabletten nehmen, noch Thrombosespritzen nehmen. Man kann zwar nicht von heute auf morgen wieder wie vorher laufen, doch es geht schnell bergauf und ungefähr drei Wochen nach Ende der Verlängerung begann ich wieder ohne Krücken zu laufen. Allerdings muss ich weiter an meinem Gangbild arbeiten. Auch die neue Selbständigkeit war ein Segen. Da ich ohne Krücken wieder laufen konnte, waren alltägliche Dinge, wie einen Teller zu tragen, deutlich einfacher.
Es ist zu empfehlen, seine engste Familie einzuweihen, denn ganz ohne Hilfe kann es schwer werden in dieser Zeit. Durch die Beinverlängerung hab ich insgesamt 13kg abgenommen. Somit ist ein anfängliches Übergewicht nicht unbedingt nachteilig. Der Leidensdruck aufgrund meiner vorher sehr geringen Größe hat deutlich abgenommen. Es ist einfach schlicht falsch, was Psychologen einem gerne zu diesem Thema erzählen wollen. Mit dem Skalpell lassen sich diese Probleme besser behandeln, als mit Worten. Im Alltag merke ich meine neuen Zentimeter stark. Ich empfinde mich endlich nicht mehr als abnormal klein, bin mit den meisten Menschen auf Augenhöhe und fühle mich definitiv in der Berufswelt ernster genommen. Zudem hab ich mir die ganze Prozedur deutlich schmerzhafter vorgestellt. Für mich hat sich mein Leben für immer verändert. Herrn Dr. med. Köhne bin ich für immer dankbar was er für mich getan hat. Er ist einfach eine Koryphäe und auch menschlich ein Vorbild!
Vielen Dank Herr Dr. Köhne!

germanlim

Re: Köhne Femur 2020
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2020, 12:03:26 PM »

https://imgur.com/a/czRY1E9

Here is a movie 4 month post op

Ssaq

• Visitor
Re: Dr. Köhne Femur 2020 Stryde
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2020, 01:15:50 PM »

Happy to see you walking after 4 months. How many cm total did you get? Any plans for future lengthening?

mangoman

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2020, 01:44:20 PM »

Hey Germanlim,

Thanks for sharing your Story!

All the best!

Mango

germanlim

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2020, 02:02:23 PM »

Hi thank you. I did 6cm. Maybe i will do tibias as well.

Greets

frenchie

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2020, 02:04:49 PM »

Good to know about another doctor in Germany other than Betz.

germanlim, Can you post an image of your legs while standing straight but with your feet together?

Siegfried

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2020, 07:33:29 PM »

Very cool, I am also considering köhne. The options of high class limb lengtheninging surgeons has been very limited in Germany so far. With Köhne as a young and very talented trauma surgeon, who has been continuously expanding his cll efforts in the last few years, we win a new alternative to Betz. Who I had considered so far, but I couldn’t go through with the Betz bone, when suddenly now there is a very valid stryde alternative in the German market. No real reason to go with Betz now, since the prices are quite similar.
Unilateral Quadrilateral Lengthening 2021/22 w/ Koehne
Pre-Surgery: 1.67 m
Post-Surgery: 1.76 m
My Story: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=68285.msg221238#msg221238

kumbaya

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2020, 12:40:50 AM »

Hi thank you. I did 6cm. Maybe i will do tibias as well.

Hi there, thanks for sharing. Can you let me know your initial height?

Greets

germanlim

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2020, 04:28:15 AM »

Initial height was 1,68m

Erkan

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2020, 08:00:47 AM »

Hey great to hear everything went well! I will do my lengthening wit Köhne probably in Januar. Did you feel it was good to do the lengthening in winter or would you recommend doing it if it gets warmer?

germanlim

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2020, 12:11:32 PM »

Hi

I would do it again in Winter or autumn.

But it is better when there is no snow in my opinion.

frenchie

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2020, 12:15:21 PM »

germanlim, Can you post an image of your legs while standing straight and with your feet together?

germanlim

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2020, 01:26:16 PM »

Short Update: My walk is since some weeks fully normal and in September i will start again playing soccer

frenchie

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2020, 01:34:51 PM »

Nice to hear germanlim.

Would you feel comfortable posting a standing photo with your feet together?

germanlim

« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2020, 01:53:01 PM »

i post it on Imgur

germanlim

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2020, 02:01:58 PM »

germanlim

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2021, 08:08:04 PM »

Hey Everyone,

just a quick update. I am fine. In August i will remove the nails.

Wish u all the best.

Tartar

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2021, 08:16:46 PM »

Hi germanlim
Best wishes, first of all
Have you started playing soccer again? How do you feel in sport activities?
And last thing, if you like to say that, how tall are you now?

Edit_Sorry, just seen you already said your starting height ;)

germanlim

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2021, 08:22:29 PM »

Hey

because of corona you cant Play soccer in germany. I cant only leave my house for 15km if there is no urgent reason.

So only sports is cycling at the Moment.

I am around 175m (sry dont know the Inch )

germanlim

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2021, 08:24:24 PM »

But in summer i was swimming a lot. And i went for many walks

Tartar

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2021, 08:28:52 PM »

Oh yea I thought you had a break in the early autumn when the situation was better. I've read the lockdown there is gonna be even harder.
Btw cycling cycling is a very regular motion, I'm curious to know about more aggressive activities
Do you feel your body very different in quick movements or not so much?

germanlim

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2021, 08:32:53 PM »

I feel the new height and the new  self confidence.

For example i had a job Interview today where i could get really really much cash and i performed very well.

But dont wait to Long for the surgery. U will regret it!

Tartar

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2021, 08:36:54 PM »

I'm already done I did 6cm as you did, just asking because I'm still very far from normal activities and I'm curious about any loss or even just difference in body perception and reflexes
Hope the best for your comeback to sports

germanlim

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2021, 08:38:37 PM »

Did u do femur or tibia?

Still lenghtening?

When was the surgery?

Tartar

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2021, 08:40:29 PM »

Femurs stryde during the summer but I had problems with my left leg, but i should be close to heal

germanlim

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2021, 08:43:39 PM »

My advice is to take Calcium and french brandy.

But in my Mind you should be much further if the surgery was in Summer.

Mine was in feb and in Summer i was back.

But stay strong. Ask your surgeon what he says

germanlim

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2021, 08:46:42 PM »

French Brandy for the muscles. Dont know the correct translation sry. In Germany u can buy it in the pharmacy

Tartar

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2021, 08:50:04 PM »

Unfortunately I had a delayed consolidation in the left leg, I was very stressed in autumn so the healing process was slowing down and the nail was slighltly moving because i could not fit a very long nail due to my femur conformation. The right leg is healed months ago.
But the bone is now growing better and I should be ready very soon.
Yes I'm taking calcium and vit D every day, sometimes proteins too

germanlim

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2021, 08:55:46 PM »

Take X-rays regulary. Usually both legs heal simultan. I Never had a Great difference. no cartilage should form at the break point. otherwise this must be scraped off.

Tartar

« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2021, 09:17:04 PM »

Take X-rays regulary. Usually both legs heal simultan. I Never had a Great difference. no cartilage should form at the break point. otherwise this must be scraped off.
Sometimes it happens, eveyone is different, for me they always had different speed. But they never stopped and they are going on even if slower for a while.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up