Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What should I look for in a surgeon for external tibia?  (Read 1088 times)

ape

What should I look for in a surgeon for external tibia?
« on: July 05, 2020, 06:28:50 AM »

I'm looking to do external tibia, and there is not a lot of information on this forum about it. I remember Kilokhan said Parihar told him a surgeon should have seen a lot of complications so they know what to do if things so wrong. However, from my understanding, external tibia is the most primitive and likely easiest surgery to do. Aside from pin infections, what are other complications that could happen? I read somewhere that even though pin infections happen more often, it is much more fixable than something going wrong in LON.
Please correct me if I'm wrong here. I'm also open to suggestions on what doctors I should go to.

Polvorón

Re: What should I look for in a surgeon for external tibia?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2020, 05:27:30 PM »

I'm looking to do external tibia, and there is not a lot of information on this forum about it. I remember Kilokhan said Parihar told him a surgeon should have seen a lot of complications so they know what to do if things so wrong. However, from my understanding, external tibia is the most primitive and likely easiest surgery to do. Aside from pin infections, what are other complications that could happen? I read somewhere that even though pin infections happen more often, it is much more fixable than something going wrong in LON.
Please correct me if I'm wrong here. I'm also open to suggestions on what doctors I should go to.
Maybe this thread is useful for you, he used the HEF method, which is a pure external method, but it is more advanced than conventional Ilizarov (the frames are different), and it gives a good result.
Rei
Dr Pili external Tibia with HEF method (hopefuly 6cm) 2019

I am interested on it because it doesn't affect the knees.

I have read that the biggest problem of monorails is that they sometimes cause a poor bone alignment.
Note: at this moment I'm only a "pretender", I want to know more about this interesting procedure. Hopping to become 185 cm (6'1'') from 174 cm (5'8 ½''), but it is too expensive.
My sitting height is 92½ - 94 cm (36''½ 37''), my length of legs is 81 cm (32'') and my armspan is 180 cm (70'' 7/8).

ape

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2020, 06:32:12 AM »

I heard the Taylor Spatial Frame(TSF) is the best frame. What are the differences from HEF? From another post I think HEF is better if you want to lengthen longer, which looking at your signature(hello starting height twin!) is desirable for you. Dr. Pili requires Achilles tendon lengthening after 5cm. I plan on lengthening 3cm on tibia and more on femur for the future so this won't affect me, but I see you plan to lengthening 12cm so you should look out for that.

ghkid2019

• Inactive account
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2020, 08:45:52 AM »

Just do LON.

If you want pure externals, prepare to spend literally like 7 months in fixators for 5cm. It's horrible
This account is no longer in use.

User requested self-ban.

Arcon

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2020, 08:59:39 AM »

You seem a bit confused, External tibia is indeed the most primitive but not the easiest surgery! Actually, it is much more technically difficult for the surgeons compared to nails. Pin-site infections are indeed often and not that serious. TSF is indeed the most sophisticated circular frames.

@great321 has uploaded some videos of his recovery:
https://imgur.com/a/UqvQquN

https://imgur.com/a/YPgA2jz

https://imgur.com/fVLoEHZ

https://imgur.com/c2Zi2d6

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2020, 08:38:54 PM »

A complication could also arise from bone misalignment, or the fibula not be fixed so it ends up moving a bit and either not fusing at all or not lengthening enough with the tibia so it pulls on joints. If you're especially concerned about alignment issues, there are frames that will ensure proper alignment, such as a Taylor Spatial Frame.

When I was with Dr Parihar, at the end of the lengthening the bone was misaligned and he replaced parts of my frames with hexapod struts that were each turned a specific amount based on a formula put into a computer program.
https://www.turboimagehost.com/p/20641879/dual_hexapod.jpg.html
Initial height: 164 cm / ~5'5" (Surgery on 6/25/2014)
Current height: 170 cm / 5'7" (Frames removed 6/29/2015)
External Tibia lengthening performed by Dr Mangal Parihar in Mumbai, India.
My Cosmetic Leg Lengthening Experience

ape

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2020, 02:55:10 AM »

Thank you for the replies guys. I have some more questions and I would be really thankful if someone can help me out here.

So how much better is TSF compared to the classic Ilizarov frames? Is it really necessary? From what I have gathered so far, TSF allows correction of bone misalignment. But, Parihar and Dhawan uses Ilizarov while still correcting misalignment with software. Solomin and Kulesh also use hexapod but I don't know what they do.

Does anyone know who are the doctors that uses TSF? Besides US surgeons, whom I will ignore because I'm a poor young adult, I only know Giotikas.

So far, my list includes Dhawan, Parihar, Solomin/Kulesh, and Giotikas. I will list the cons of each.
Dhawan- He is Indian and only Parihar is mentioned when talking about good Indian doctors. Will have to do more research.
Parihar- Hard to be accepted by him. I have a friend from Mumbai so I will see how this pans out.
Solomin/Kulesh- Said to have too much nerve damage cases. Also read two users(Android and a commenter on his dairy)who claimed nerve damage from them.
Giotikas- Most expensive on this list.

Joker

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2020, 08:34:20 AM »

I heard the Taylor Spatial Frame(TSF) is the best frame. What are the differences from HEF? From another post I think HEF is better if you want to lengthen longer, which looking at your signature(hello starting height twin!) is desirable for you. Dr. Pili requires Achilles tendon lengthening after 5cm. I plan on lengthening 3cm on tibia and more on femur for the future so this won't affect me, but I see you plan to lengthening 12cm so you should look out for that.
I read TSF frame is for deformity correction and it’s more expensive than Ilizarov frame . Why are you considering TSF frame ,what’s the benefit of choosing them in lengthening.

Polvorón

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2020, 11:15:19 PM »

Just do LON.

If you want pure externals, prepare to spend literally like 7 months in fixators for 5cm. It's horrible
It's more time with annoying external fixators, but maybe less long term problems in knees.
Also, I am afraid of bone misalignement, I have seen too many X-rays of LON with poorly aligned bones.
5.5 cm in tibia is enough for me, since I need femur also, where internal methods are far better.
Note: at this moment I'm only a "pretender", I want to know more about this interesting procedure. Hopping to become 185 cm (6'1'') from 174 cm (5'8 ½''), but it is too expensive.
My sitting height is 92½ - 94 cm (36''½ 37''), my length of legs is 81 cm (32'') and my armspan is 180 cm (70'' 7/8).

ghkid2019

• Inactive account
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2020, 04:20:32 AM »

It's more time with annoying external fixators, but maybe less long term problems in knees.
Also, I am afraid of bone misalignement, I have seen too many X-rays of LON with poorly aligned bones.
5.5 cm in tibia is enough for me, since I need femur also, where internal methods are far better.

I think all the diaries i've read on this forum with pure externals had the user regretting pure externals and wishing they went with LON instead. 5.5 inch on Tibias is gonna be like 9 months in externals, I could never do it to be honest. I'd honestly gamble with the chances of lifetime knee pain rather than spend that long suffering haha, your opinion may differ and it's still respectable whichever path you choose. Ultimately pure externals obviously better from a health standpoint but the timeline for it is ridiculous imo and I would probably get serious mental illness after doing it
This account is no longer in use.

User requested self-ban.

Stealth

• Visitor
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2020, 03:49:06 AM »

I heard Syrian doctor salameh frame is good salamefix wss considering doing this myself. If misalignment does occur when is it most likely to happen during lengthening or consildation?
Pages: [1]   Go Up