Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Study links sleep apnea and stunted height  (Read 773 times)

Study links sleep apnea and stunted height
« on: July 10, 2020, 01:38:05 PM »

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23631138/

Also I wanted to ask in case anyone knows. Says from the age of 7-8, you consistenly slept 0-2 hours every night, but as a kid, you got school holidays, where you once in a while managed to get decent enough sleep like 5 hours or so. But only 2 months in a year, and even then not even full 2 months.

Would that be good enough to compensate for the rest of 10 months of sleepless nights and keep up to your maximum height potential?

Guilt

• Visitor
Re: Study links sleep apnea and stunted height
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2020, 09:58:33 PM »

Hi there Bruce,

Look, I know EXACTLY how you feel and what you're going through. Trust me, I do, I know. 'Cause the same exact thing happened to me, and many years later I'm still working on self-forgiveness, because there was no way to live with myself with that self-flagelation. I cursed and hated myself every day. That's no way to live, you know why? Because you can't change the past, you can't change what you did and didn't do, nothing at all. It sucks, but that's reality man, as ugly as it looks. So what u gonna do? Ruminate in the past again and again each day, regret, guilt... for how long? Most importantly, for what? Does that change anything? Is it helpful in any way?

Yes, sleep deprivation during growing years for long periods does affect height. It may kept you a couple inches away from your max potential, maybe a bit less. I know how much it hurts, but there's nothing you can do about it now. Even if this is "your fault", you cannot keep reminding yourself, you must practice forgiveness and self-compassion, and move on with your life. Understand that the adult you is NOT the kid and teenage you. Everything looks easier and clear in retrospection, you are condemning the present you for what the previous you did (he doesn't exist anymore). Talk about unfair!

You can't go back, the present moment is the only one you have control of.
Seek help. Break the cycle, stop the blame. Being stuck is not an option. I gave myself 2 options: Either take LL seriously as a solution, and put effort on getting the money, preparing physically and mentally, etc... Or learn to accept the way you are now best u can. You choose.

Best wishes.

drxboom

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2020, 10:47:00 PM »

very good answer, I am sure there are many people who enter puberty early and have trouble with it. sadness should be left in this way the past does not change
170cm goal 177 -178

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2020, 12:30:32 AM »

Hi there Bruce,

Look, I know EXACTLY how you feel and what you're going through. Trust me, I do, I know. 'Cause the same exact thing happened to me, and many years later I'm still working on self-forgiveness, because there was no way to live with myself with that self-flagelation. I cursed and hated myself every day. That's no way to live, you know why? Because you can't change the past, you can't change what you did and didn't do, nothing at all. It sucks, but that's reality man, as ugly as it looks. So what u gonna do? Ruminate in the past again and again each day, regret, guilt... for how long? Most importantly, for what? Does that change anything? Is it helpful in any way?

Yes, sleep deprivation during growing years for long periods does affect height. It may kept you a couple inches away from your max potential, maybe a bit less. I know how much it hurts, but there's nothing you can do about it now. Even if this is "your fault", you cannot keep reminding yourself, you must practice forgiveness and self-compassion, and move on with your life. Understand that the adult you is NOT the kid and teenage you. Everything looks easier and clear in retrospection, you are condemning the present you for what the previous you did (he doesn't exist anymore). Talk about unfair!

You can't go back, the present moment is the only one you have control of.
Seek help. Break the cycle, stop the blame. Being stuck is not an option. I gave myself 2 options: Either take LL seriously as a solution, and put effort on getting the money, preparing physically and mentally, etc... Or learn to accept the way you are now best u can. You choose.

Best wishes.

I actually just asked if anyone knows that once in a while of decent sleep could potentially make up for other sleepless nights. And also because there were some papers I found that found no correlation between sleep and stunted height. Where did you get this "It may kept you a couple inches away from your max potential." anyway? Because this "a couple of inches away" scares the hell out of me. And also taking a nap might also compensate for it. The theory is that even if you don't sleep at night, then the growth hormone will still be released when you are awake during the day to make up.

ghkid2019

• Inactive account
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2020, 01:44:48 AM »

Unless you're a teen, your growth plates are closed. What's the point in dwelling in the past? It's incredibly unhealthy to keep dwelling on the past for things you can't control or change anymore. I used to blame my parents for not pushing the doctor hard enough to get me some hormone treatments. But they didn't know better. They trusted the doctor, what most parents would do. No point in revisiting the past anymore, what's done is done. Ok if you lost 2 inches from not sleeping, so what?
This account is no longer in use.

User requested self-ban.

Guilt

• Visitor
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2020, 06:34:50 AM »

In my case, what I did was asking my doctor, asking a traumatologist... I also recommend you ask your old pediatrician, that would be helpful. There are scientific studies on the Internet I read long ago, but this things should be asked to a professional rather than a forum anyway.

You say it was from age 7-8 only. If your nutrition was good during this period so you weren’t suffering any vitamin/mineral deficiency (iron, calcium, vit D), and you weren’t suffering from a disease then your growth would have been normal. You were healthy, everything else was okay only you were insomniac. The body is not in survival mode like when you’re malnutrited and lacking vitamins/minerals, dehydrated. Moreover, there’s catch up growth, ever heard of it? You say this lasted a year, maybe 2? At 8-9 you started sleeping normal again, at that age you were still growing. Let’s say if your growth somehow did slow down for that period, you would catch up after. Besides, at that age you were a child and a child isn’t responsible for their actions, you cannot blame your 8 year old self because he was suffering from insomnia.

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2020, 10:10:51 AM »

Unless you're a teen, your growth plates are closed. What's the point in dwelling in the past? It's incredibly unhealthy to keep dwelling on the past for things you can't control or change anymore. I used to blame my parents for not pushing the doctor hard enough to get me some hormone treatments. But they didn't know better. They trusted the doctor, what most parents would do. No point in revisiting the past anymore, what's done is done. Ok if you lost 2 inches from not sleeping, so what?

The thing is man, I just wanted to know the truth. And me and my parents could have been a little wiser and smarter.

In my case, what I did was asking my doctor, asking a traumatologist... I also recommend you ask your old pediatrician, that would be helpful. There are scientific studies on the Internet I read long ago, but this things should be asked to a professional rather than a forum anyway.

You say it was from age 7-8 only. If your nutrition was good during this period so you weren’t suffering any vitamin/mineral deficiency (iron, calcium, vit D), and you weren’t suffering from a disease then your growth would have been normal. You were healthy, everything else was okay only you were insomniac. The body is not in survival mode like when you’re malnutrited and lacking vitamins/minerals, dehydrated. Moreover, there’s catch up growth, ever heard of it? You say this lasted a year, maybe 2? At 8-9 you started sleeping normal again, at that age you were still growing. Let’s say if your growth somehow did slow down for that period, you would catch up after. Besides, at that age you were a child and a child isn’t responsible for their actions, you cannot blame your 8 year old self because he was suffering from insomnia.

Hey, I'm sorry for not being clear from the first place. I should clarify that I meant to say that it's probably began somewhere between at the age of 7-8, and it kept going and got worst overtime till the age of 17.

But I try to remember it again. If I am not trying to be too conservative, It's probably more around the 5th grade where it started. That means age 10-11 until 17.

And yes I do think about catch up growth, which is my original question in the thread by the way.

Also, every early morning, I woke up because I was forced to, by school. It was never voluntary, at least most were not. It's hard for me to get the idea, that you are short because you're sacrificing your years of sleep for something that's not only so unnecessary but also made you suffer so much during your childhood and teenage years.

Guilt

• Visitor
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2020, 02:33:59 PM »

Ok, I see... probably better to talk this via PM

Well, in the first place, we ALL have to go to school in the morning, so school is not at fault. So, you‘re saying that you were severely sleep deprived for 6 years o so? I mean, that’s a big difference. Because at 17 your growth plates were probably closed or almost, so there wasn’t much chance to catch up. Try to make sure that your mind isn’t playing tricks on you, it’s hard to believe that this went on that bad for so long. You must had been deadly exhausted, did you never faint, did you pass your exams and PE at school like that? Your parents/siblings for sure must had noticed, didn’t they take you to the doc as least once?

As I told you earlier, nutrition plays a big role, if you ate properly then you were compensating for the sleep factor and it couldn’t affect much. Again: If you didn’t have a disease and weren’t lacking essential vitamins/minerals, then you couldn’t have lost more than 2” max, really.

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2020, 06:28:35 PM »

Ok, I see... probably better to talk this via PM

Well, in the first place, we ALL have to go to school in the morning, so school is not at fault. So, you‘re saying that you were severely sleep deprived for 6 years o so? I mean, that’s a big difference. Because at 17 your growth plates were probably closed or almost, so there wasn’t much chance to catch up. Try to make sure that your mind isn’t playing tricks on you, it’s hard to believe that this went on that bad for so long. You must had been deadly exhausted, did you never faint, did you pass your exams and PE at school like that? Your parents/siblings for sure must had noticed, didn’t they take you to the doc as least once?

As I told you earlier, nutrition plays a big role, if you ate properly then you were compensating for the sleep factor and it couldn’t affect much. Again: If you didn’t have a disease and weren’t lacking essential vitamins/minerals, then you couldn’t have lost more than 2” max, really.

I think the difference is that most other kids were happy being in the school, didn't suffer from insomnia, didn't take academic achievement too seriously so didn't study that hard or stay awake to study.

Also, do you really not know anyone or have friends who didn't go to school? I know a guy who left school at 8th grade.

What time do school kids wake up in the US? In my days, I woke up at 5.30AM because school started at 6.30AM.

I have sent you a PM by the way.
Pages: [1]   Go Up