Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 23   Go Down

Author Topic: Femurs with Dr. Shahab Mahboubian - July 2020  (Read 53781 times)

StrydeNailChallenge

Re: Femurs with Dr. Shahab Mahboubian - July 2020
« Reply #155 on: September 10, 2020, 06:19:22 PM »

Great progress SNC! Just wondering how flexible are you actually if Dr. M said that? You can do full splits?

Dear Brondo,
I have not tried that but I am sure I cannot. Do you think there is anyone who can do full splits a couple months post-op?

I mean looking at any patient here, their notes and videos, I think I can can beat them, but I have not seen a full split case yet. Please let me know if you know who the most flexible is on this forum and I then compare myself with him/her.
Starting [Morning] Height: 172.5 cm, Ending: 180.5
SNC - Femurs' Stryde Nail Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=65337.0

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #156 on: September 10, 2020, 06:34:32 PM »

Dear wannabeidol,
He asked me some questions and determined that I have not yet developed nerve pain yet. The pain I have must be related to surgery (cause starting day 1 I had pain on left) plus the distraction pain.  The new numbness feeling may be changing the story. I have already emailed Dr. M. about the numbness, and I am waiting for his response.

I better mention what stretches/moves Dr. M. tested me for: He asked me to bend knees. He checked my walk. Also bending to touch the ground (I think I am flexible enough to still be able to touch the ground when I will hopefully have grown 8 cm).  He also check lifting legs like straight.
SNC - Femurs' Stryde Nail Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=65337.0

ghkid2019

• Inactive account
« Reply #157 on: September 10, 2020, 06:40:23 PM »

Snc

I bet you have been weight bearing alot. Which is a good thing.

But if Dr. m saids there's risk of preconsolidation and now is ordering you to lengthen more times a day, I highly suspect you will soon experience extreme nerve pain and need gabapentin.

If you do feel alot of nerve pain, I will simply recommend to talk to Dr. m about:

Lowering lengthening rate back to previously

And you should weight bear less.

Hopefully this no happen.

But if nerve pain starts, talk to him about distracting the previous rate and weight bear less so less bone grow instead of needing to distract faster

But good job man, 48 year old (or biologically a teen hue hue)  having fast bone growth? Very impressive 😁
This account is no longer in use.

User requested self-ban.

brondo

« Reply #158 on: September 10, 2020, 06:44:03 PM »

Dear Brondo,
I have not tried that but I am sure I cannot. Do you think there is anyone who can do full splits a couple months post-op?

I mean looking at any patient here, their notes and videos, I think I can can beat them, but I have not seen a full split case yet. Please let me know if you know who the most flexible is on this forum and I then compare myself with him/her.

Oh, I was actually talking about what your flexibility was pre-op. I was wondering if your flexibility prior to the operation helped you in any way. I don't expect anyone to do full splits just a few weeks after surgery. :)

-brondo

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #159 on: September 10, 2020, 06:47:54 PM »

Snc

I bet you have been weight bearing alot. Which is a good thing.

But if Dr. m saids there's risk of preconsolidation and now is ordering you to lengthen more times a day, I highly suspect you will soon experience extreme nerve pain and need gabapentin.

If you do feel alot of nerve pain, I will simply recommend to talk to Dr. m about:

Lowering lengthening rate back to previously

And you should weight bear less.

Hopefully this no happen.

But if nerve pain starts, talk to him about distracting the previous rate and weight bear less so less bone grow instead of needing to distract faster

But good job man, 48 year old (or biologically a teen hue hue)  having fast bone growth? Very impressive 😁

ghkid2019, my brother!
Thanks a lot for your kind words.   I totally agree with you on weight bearing.   When Dr. M. told me about my extreme growth rate, the first thing I told him was that perhaps it's because I walked unaided too soon and just too much walk per day. He said No! he thought it was a combination of healthy diet and body, and a lot of vitamins and calcium. I am still not convinced that walking unaided did not have an important role, so thinking like you, I already started using crutches at times, especially when I have a lot of pain, so to avoid putting too much weight on my legs.

Thanks for the advice. If my pain changes to shooting/electric pain, I guess I would know it's nerve related and I would ask him about the medicines you and others recommended.

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #160 on: September 10, 2020, 06:50:42 PM »

Oh, I was actually talking about what your flexibility was pre-op. I was wondering if your flexibility prior to the operation helped you in any way. I don't expect anyone to do full splits just a few weeks after surgery. :)

-brondo

Understood. When I was doing gymanstics in my teens I used to maintain it typically, but if for a few weeks, I did not do full splits, it took me about 15 minutes to bring it to full splits. Pre-op I did not try for it, but I think if I tried pre-op for a maximum of one hour, I could do full-splits.   

I can still do all the moves I used to do when I was a teen. I just don't do some of them, because I am afraid at 48, my body may not be able to handle it, but once in a while, when I try them, I can still do them. I warm up for a long time before doing any moves to be safe.

I am going to try on splits today and let you know how far I am from full.

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #161 on: September 10, 2020, 06:56:18 PM »

Understood. When I was doing gymanstics in my teens I used to maintain it typically, but if for a few weeks, I did not do full splits, it took me about 15 minutes to bring it to full splits. Pre-op I did not try for it, but I think if I tried pre-op for a maximum of one hour, I could do full-splits.   

I can still do all the moves I used to do when I was a teen. I just don't do some of them, because I am afraid at 48, my body may not be able to handle it, but once in a while, when I try them, I can still do them. I warm up for a long time before doing any moves to be safe.

I am going to try on splits today and let you know how far I am from full.

Just gave it a try: When on bed, it's so bad, I can probably do just 90 degree! so it takes me a lot of time and effort to bring it close to 180!  When I try on the floor (opening my legs while touching the floor with my hands) I can do better than 90 degrees. But it feels and looks scary. I think I am going to wait for a few weeks and give it another try to see whether I can go towards say 150 degrees in a few weeks.

brondo

« Reply #162 on: September 10, 2020, 07:13:13 PM »

Just gave it a try: When on bed, it's so bad, I can probably do just 90 degree! so it takes me a lot of time and effort to bring it close to 180!  When I try on the floor (opening my legs while touching the floor with my hands) I can do better than 90 degrees. But it feels and looks scary. I think I am going to wait for a few weeks and give it another try to see whether I can go towards say 150 degrees in a few weeks.

Be safe man. Don't try to do too much too soon.

-brondo

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #163 on: September 10, 2020, 07:21:25 PM »

Be safe man. Don't try to do too much too soon.

-brondo

brondo Bro,   Thanks!  I will be careful. I did the full split try very safely! I did not even try to warm up more to make it wider, cause as you said, I am afraid it's too soon!

Stryde2021

« Reply #164 on: September 10, 2020, 07:54:41 PM »

Thanks for a great journal, SNC.  Two Qs:
1. Are you working (i.e., remote, at a desk) during this? Do you feel like you could?
2.  What was your mobility like at the 1-month mark.  Could you drag yourself outside to an uber, go to a coffee shop, stand in line for a drink, and then sit down?   How about now?

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #165 on: September 10, 2020, 08:35:32 PM »

Thanks for a great journal, SNC.  Two Qs:
1. Are you working (i.e., remote, at a desk) during this? Do you feel like you could?

Hello Stryde2021,
I work from home. My performance is at 50% I would say, but that is enough to do my main job. I have cut down on some of the extra work I used to do!

]2.  What was your mobility like at the 1-month mark.  Could you drag yourself outside to an uber, go to a coffee shop, stand in line for a drink, and then sit down?   How about now?

I have all the details in my diary, but I think around day 30, I started driving and going to grocery.  I could stand in line and sit down...

Now I am in much better shape. I can do things more strongly, and less wobbly. I felt like I was improving on a daily basis.

This may change, as I have started a 14 day 4-distraction-session-per-day process which would most likely enhance the pain level and slow down my progress.

Hagane

« Reply #166 on: September 10, 2020, 08:51:25 PM »

hey SNC
are you based in LA? are you guys affected by the wildfires?
hope youre staying safe bro
Bilateral tibia lengthening with Dr Gdalevitch 02/2023
starting height approx 167cm ( morning height)
gained  55.55mm
End height approx just shy of 5 foot 8 ( morning height)

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #167 on: September 10, 2020, 09:53:53 PM »

hey SNC
are you based in LA? are you guys affected by the wildfires?
hope youre staying safe bro

wannabeidol Bro,  Thanks.

Yes, I am based in LA!    and I think we are affected by the wildfires the worst this year. AQI (Air Quality Index) has been very high in the last few weeks, due to various cases of fire. I can smell ashes and burning wood today!   

I hope things get better soon, as we get closer to summer end.

Stryde2021

« Reply #168 on: September 10, 2020, 11:01:05 PM »

Hello Stryde2021,
I work from home. My performance is at 50% I would say, but that is enough to do my main job. I have cut down on some of the extra work I used to do!

I have all the details in my diary, but I think around day 30, I started driving and going to grocery.  I could stand in line and sit down...

Now I am in much better shape. I can do things more strongly, and less wobbly. I felt like I was improving on a daily basis.

This may change, as I have started a 14 day 4-distraction-session-per-day process which would most likely enhance the pain level and slow down my progress.

Awesome, thanks for answering!  Your diary is turning out to be one of the best here.

What work do you do?  I'm hoping to take only a 1-month break from my mentally-demanding job when I do this, and I'm trying to gauge how reasonable that is (maybe + asking for some leeway in month#2).

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #169 on: September 11, 2020, 05:46:58 AM »

Awesome, thanks for answering!  Your diary is turning out to be one of the best here.

Thanks Stryde2021
I hope my experiences noted in the diary help our current and future CLL'ers!

What work do you do?  I'm hoping to take only a 1-month break from my mentally-demanding job when I do this, and I'm trying to gauge how reasonable that is (maybe + asking for some leeway in month#2).

I am self-employed, and as part of my business, I do finance related projects (mainly investments). I therefore have some flexibility in terms of easing down for now, while recovering.   

I was skeptical of doing surgery during the COVID-19 lockdown, but after checking the hospital and finally doing the surgery, I highly recommend getting the surgery done before things go back to normal, in case your job allows you to work from home. You may then not even need to take a 1-month break, but a couple weeks would do.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 06:55:50 AM by StrydeNailChallenge »

Hagane

« Reply #170 on: September 11, 2020, 06:13:51 AM »

Thanks Stryde2021
I hope my experiences noted in the diary help our current and future CLL'ers!

I am self-employed, doing finance related project (mainly investing) in my business. I therefore have some flexibility in terms of easing down for now, while recovering.   

I was skeptical of doing surgery during the COVID-19 lockdown, but after checking the hospital and finally doing the surgery, I highly recommend getting the the surgery done before things go back to normal, in case your job allows you to work from home. You may then not even need to take a 1-month break, but a couple weeks would do.

yeah it seems like now would be the perfect time to do it
so jealous bro
gained  55.55mm

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #171 on: September 11, 2020, 07:12:33 AM »

yeah it seems like now would be the perfect time to do it
so jealous bro

wannabeidol Bro,

If money is the issue, I think it's worth getting a loan and doing the surgery as soon as possible!   Think you are purchasing a Porsche and you need to borrow money for it! but it's just that this is a lot better than having a Porsche :P

Hagane

« Reply #172 on: September 11, 2020, 07:05:23 PM »

wannabeidol Bro,

If money is the issue, I think it's worth getting a loan and doing the surgery as soon as possible!   Think you are purchasing a Porsche and you need to borrow money for it! but it's just that this is a lot better than having a Porsche :P

luckily for me the money isnt the issue, its all the "little things" due to job applications i couldnt go to the states. and now im back in canada and atm  its very  hard to get to the states due to covid. but im planning to see if i can get it done in nov
gained  55.55mm

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #173 on: September 11, 2020, 07:11:50 PM »

luckily for me the money isnt the issue, its all the "little things" due to job applications i couldnt go to the states. and now im back in canada and atm  its very  hard to get to the states due to covid. but im planning to see if i can get it done in nov

I hope the Nov. election results will help open up the US entry to LL visitors, including you, bro.   

I hope the Nov. plan works for you and by the year end you would be done with most of the challenge (most likely be at 5 to 6cm distraction).

Hagane

« Reply #174 on: September 11, 2020, 07:13:38 PM »

I hope the Nov. election results will help open up the US entry to LL visitors, including you, bro.   

I hope the Nov. plan works for you and by the year end you would be done with most of the challenge (most likely be at 5 to 6cm distraction).

thanks bro <3
gained  55.55mm

Hagane

« Reply #175 on: September 11, 2020, 07:25:19 PM »

i was thinking it may be smarter to come to the states post election
im sure nothing bad will happen  but i jsut have this weird anxiety about it
gained  55.55mm

ghkid2019

• Inactive account
« Reply #176 on: September 11, 2020, 07:37:04 PM »

Remember even though the election is in November, Trump remains in office until late January 2021. And perhaps longer by 4 years if Joe Biden loses.

User requested self-ban.

Hagane

« Reply #177 on: September 11, 2020, 07:42:35 PM »

Remember even though the election is in November, Trump remains in office until late January 2021. And perhaps longer by 4 years if Joe Biden loses.

more so just the tension if he does win again, especially in city areas. i know its ridiculous to assume people will riot. but thats just my irrational fear especially if my legs are f@ked and i cant get away lol
gained  55.55mm

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #178 on: September 11, 2020, 08:04:52 PM »

more so just the tension if he does win again, especially in city areas. i know its ridiculous to assume people will riot. but thats just my irrational fear especially if my legs are f@ked and i cant get away lol

All comments you guys said are valid. In addition to riots, the crazy weather in different parts of US, should be accounted for. In the worst case, both could create problems, but I am very hopeful, wannabeidol that you'll do just fine.  I always give advice to my friends and family members putting myself in their shoes. If I were you, I would still come and get it done. If you can come here earlier, even before the election, I would recommend that. The earlier the better.

Thinking back on the days before the surgery, it was so difficult for me to keep myself together, and finally go for it. I remember when the first time, I confirmed with Dr. M.' staff that surgery on July 23rd works for me, right during our call, I was thinking "man what are you doing?!, can you just find some other challenge not as crazy as breaking your own bones!?  My anxiety level during the last week pre-op, and after I had confirmed the surgery date was so high and the thoughts of "what if I get covid-19 while on broken bones", "what if I die during the surgery", "what if the nail breaks during the first few days of the surgery", "what if to my bad luck, the surgery goes terribly and I end up redoing the surgery".

Recalling the surgery day, when I woke up around 4am, thinking "what the hell man?! what are you doing?!" "can you think of any of your friends in their right mind who would do such a thing?" .... I am glad I did not give up and finally went for it. I am sure it is so difficult for all of us to try to keep ourselves together and not cancel on the surgery, but as soon as you decide and especially confirm, then don't hesitate at all. Keep in mind what I said. It's gonna be fine as long as your doctor is great.

This is what I think: As long as you believe your doctor is reliable, then all of the stress and pain can be managed. If you are determined to do this surgery, then do it asap. Take advantage of the covid-19 situation, by shifting the post-op time overlapping WFH days.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 08:31:03 PM by StrydeNailChallenge »

ghkid2019

• Inactive account
« Reply #179 on: September 11, 2020, 09:45:22 PM »

I would imagine that morning of surgery day at 4am felt like a movie SNC. Like a Christopher Nolan movie with Hans Zimmer soundtrack in the background. Absolutely surreal.

Like a reincarnation trip or something.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 10:08:52 PM by ghkid2019 »

User requested self-ban.

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #180 on: September 12, 2020, 03:11:46 AM »

I would imagine that morning of surgery day at 4am felt like a movie SNC. Like a Christopher Nolan movie with Hans Zimmer soundtrack in the background. Absolutely surreal.

Like a reincarnation trip or something.

You made a good analogy!  Exactly like a movie that you know are in it, and it's so real!   Kinda like one of those war movies, when it suddenly hits you that, this is serious and you are going to a war with no 100% guarantee of victory! 

I am saying these stuff not to scare anyone. I just want my future CLL'er folks know that if they got those feeling a few days before the surgery and especially in the morning of the surgery, those are totally normal. I tried to convert those feelings into positive energy! I don't know how to describe it, but in tense moments, when I get so stressed, somehow I can convert the stress into energy and get so hyper and crazy for what is going to come! to a level that I can embrace the worst case and still be happy.

I am putting everything in my mind, hoping my experience and thoughts would help at least some of you future CLL'ers!

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #181 on: September 12, 2020, 03:25:19 AM »

Day 50 (Thurs., Sep. 10) - 43.6 mm Taller
Day 51 (Fri., Sep. 11) - 45 mm Taller

The numbness on left leg I started to experience Tuesday evening and Wednesday, is stabilizing, i.e., the numbness intensity and duration have not increased in days 50 and 51.

However, my days are increasingly tough, due to the super-linear increase in pain (as compared to Monday and as days pass) mostly because I am doing 4 sessions instead of 3 sessions per day.

Per Dr. M.'s instruction, I have also cut down on my calcium in-take, to decelerate the high rate of bone growth; I however have not downgraded the quality of my diet, nor the quantity of the rest of the supplements with the exception of one item: I have completely stopped drinking milk for the time being.  I have also tried to take it easy on walking, because I believe one reason for my high growth was the long unaided walks I had in the last few weeks.

As I suspected and many of you also noted, my pain is at least partly nerve pain. I emailed Dr. M. about it and he prescribed Gabapentin. I am going to start taking it tonight.

I am looking forward to finishing the 4-session distraction days and go back to the normal routine I had on Monday and earlier!

« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 05:23:31 AM by StrydeNailChallenge »

readyprecisestryde

« Reply #182 on: September 12, 2020, 07:18:41 AM »

My nerve pain started to improve over couple of weeks after starting gabapentin. It just reduced my nerve pain and made it much more manageable. Good news is that most of my Nerve numbness is starting to go away since I stopped lengthening 😃 Also, the doctor allowed me take ibuprofen to stop bone growth because I slowed the turns to 0.75mm to help to reduce the nerve pain and I had more than usual amount of bone growth every 2 weeks I took x-ray at Paley Institute. There are studies that suggests ibuprofen does stop bone growth but it’s not 100% proven scientifically.

Hagane

« Reply #183 on: September 12, 2020, 05:07:06 PM »

SNC let us know howthe gabapentin treats you/ if you get any sides.

from what ive read with other diaries, once you hit 5cm, itll only get tougher.
but you got this! youre more than half way there!
gained  55.55mm

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #184 on: September 12, 2020, 05:37:02 PM »

My nerve pain started to improve over couple of weeks after starting gabapentin. It just reduced my nerve pain and made it much more manageable. Good news is that most of my Nerve numbness is starting to go away since I stopped lengthening 😃 Also, the doctor allowed me take ibuprofen to stop bone growth because I slowed the turns to 0.75mm to help to reduce the nerve pain and I had more than usual amount of bone growth every 2 weeks I took x-ray at Paley Institute. There are studies that suggests ibuprofen does stop bone growth but it’s not 100% proven scientifically.

Dear readyprecisestryde Bro,

I really appreciate your public and PM posts to me. They have all been very inspiring and informative.

I started taking Gabapentin this morning. Based on your PM and also online info, I expect Gabapentin to take effect within a week or two!  Since I sometimes have unbearable pain, and especially now that I am on 4-distraction-session days, I believe I should mix Gabapentin with Tramadol. I already have a green signal from Dr. M. to take them both, but within gaps of at least two hours between them.

Did you do something similar? meaning you took another painkiller in addition to Gabapentin with some few hours of gap between taking that painkiller and Gabapentin?
Thanks,
SNC
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 06:19:06 PM by StrydeNailChallenge »

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #185 on: September 12, 2020, 05:43:50 PM »

SNC let us know howthe gabapentin treats you/ if you get any sides.

from what ive read with other diaries, once you hit 5cm, itll only get tougher.
but you got this! youre more than half way there!

wannabeidol,
It's very apparent Bro, that I am going uphill on a road of pain that just increase as I try to reach the end!  I am just so lucky that my night sleeps are relatively good. I wake up several times, but when I go to sleep, it's a deep one and I don't feel pain, but as soon as I wake up, I experience many episodes of random pain (random in terms of intensity and location) almost all on my left pain!

I took my first 300mg Gabapentin tablet this morning. Dr. M. prescribed two per day. I took the first one about two hours ago. I'll report any side effects, but so far, it has not effect on the pain itself. It seems I have to wait for a week or two to see it kickin' in on pain.

Meanwhile I guess I am gonna depend on my old pain management (Tramadol with gaps of at least two hours w.r.t. Gabapentin + pain ointments + hot showers + ice packs + massages + any form of distraction [I will probably finish all Prime and Netflix movies by the time I am done with this Stryde Nail Challenge :D]).

« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 06:30:21 PM by StrydeNailChallenge »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 23   Go Up