Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 23   Go Down

Author Topic: Femurs with Dr. Shahab Mahboubian - July 2020  (Read 53394 times)

StrydeNailChallenge

Re: Femurs with Dr. Shahab Mahboubian - July 2020
« Reply #310 on: October 19, 2020, 02:54:40 PM »

can you prove me wrong?

Not really, cause I don't want to prove myself to anybody. As I said, I don't think this is worth my time or attention. I am sure there are people here that are indeed advertising their business and work for doctors. I am very comfortable that you or anyone else here thinks I am a doctor or work for a doctor.  I would then expect that you ignore my diary, would be more generally super careful on this site, and do not believe most or all the content and in a safe scenario, decide to not to do this surgery. This sounds safe to me, cause I think by default one should not do this surgery. It's so tough and the possible side effects are so severe and long term, that the chance of regretting the surgery later is high. One should do a lot of studies and research before coming to this site and therefore should avoid arranging for a surgery just based on this site.

Starting [Morning] Height: 172.5 cm, Ending: 180.5
SNC - Femurs' Stryde Nail Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=65337.0

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #311 on: October 19, 2020, 03:00:57 PM »

Day 87 Post-op (Sat., Oct. 17) - Consolidation Day 6
Day 88 Post-op (Sun., Oct. 18) - Consolidation Day 7
Day 89 Post-op (Mon., Oct. 19) - Consolidation Day 8

I still have pain, partly because I have cut down the painkillers (from two Gabapentin and two Tramadol pills per day during the distraction phase). Up until Saturday I was taking one Gabapentin and one Tramadol. On Saturday, I took a half Tramadol pill around 3pm and then postponed taking Gabapentin by about 7 hours, i.e., about 24+7 hours since the last time (on Friday) I had taken Gabapentin. Later around midnight I took a second half Tramadol pill.

Starting Sunday I stopped taking Gabapentin, so I have been on two half Tramadol pills per day. In a few days, I hope to cut that down to half Tramadol pill per day. I hope it works for me, cause in the past every time I tried to quit on painkillers, I could not handle the pain!

The most important update is that I gradually see more flexibility in my knee bending. I have a PT appt this Tuesday (tomorrow) and I would then be able to have an measure of improvement.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 03:28:09 PM by StrydeNailChallenge »
SNC - Femurs' Stryde Nail Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=65337.0

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #312 on: October 20, 2020, 02:58:13 AM »

Day 87 Post-op (Sat., Oct. 17) - Consolidation Day 6
Day 88 Post-op (Sun., Oct. 18) - Consolidation Day 7
Day 89 Post-op (Mon., Oct. 19) - Consolidation Day 8

I still have pain, partly because I have cut down the painkillers (from two Gabapentin and two Tramadol pills per day during the distraction phase). Up until Saturday I was taking one Gabapentin and one Tramadol. On Saturday, I took a half Tramadol pill around 3pm and then postponed taking Gabapentin by about 7 hours, i.e., about 24+7 hours since the last time (on Friday) I had taken Gabapentin. Later around midnight I took a second half Tramadol pill.

Starting Sunday I stopped taking Gabapentin, so I have been on two half Tramadol pills per day. In a few days, I hope to cut that down to half Tramadol pill per day. I hope it works for me, cause in the past every time I tried to quit on painkillers, I could not handle the pain!

The most important update is that I gradually see more flexibility in my knee bending. I have a PT appt this Tuesday (tomorrow) and I would then be able to have an measure of improvement.

An update on Gabapentin: This is day two without Gabapentin and I already feel more alert and sharp.  I am very hopeful I would not experience nerve pain, now that it's over one week since my last distraction session.

I still have the feeling of numbness on the tibia area of my left leg; which started soon after my 14-day fast distraction plan started. I have a feeling it's getting better, but the progress is so little. I have not been able to figure out an exercise, etc. that can accelerate the process of resolving the numbness. It's not a big deal, but I would like to see it gone :)

My pain level in the last few days are 0-4 on the left leg and 0-3 on the right. I hope this will improve soon, to a level that I could completely quit Tramadol (these day on two half Tramadol pills).

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #313 on: October 22, 2020, 12:19:14 AM »

Day 90 Post-op (Tue., Oct. 20) - Consolidation Day 9
Day 91 Post-op (Wed., Oct. 21) - Consolidation Day 10

Painkillers: Overall for my surgery I must have taken 66 Gabapentin pills. I am confident I would not need to resume taking it. The good news is that I don't miss Gabapentin.

I must have taken around 135 50 mg Tramadol pills, so far during my surgery. I am still on Tramadol, but managed to further reduce the dose to half a pill per day on Tuesday. I took that around 8pm. I plan to continue the half a pill per day schedule for a few days, before quitting I am going to try to stop the half pill Tramadol tonight, considering today is the 10th day since the distraction phase. in the past during the post-op I have tried several times but always failed to quit Tramadol. Let's see if I can finally pull this off :D

Pain and discomfort are the worst between late afternoon and midnight. This has been the case for a while now. I try to stretch and take hot baths to mitigate the pain.

Stretching:  I have continued those 16 sets of distraction phase exercises (that I had posted last week) also during the consolidation phase.

Question: Is there any suggestions on modifying the list of exercises, to fit them better for the consolidation/recovery time? I would appreciate any comments.

Weightless:  Compared to before surgery I have lost about 6 to 8 pounds. This gets worse considering the 8cm extra soft tissue. I eat well, but have not bee able to gain weight to a level that better represents my height, i.e., a more reasonable BMI, as my BMI must be very low.

Gait Analysis: My walks don't look normal at all. I still walk like a robot or penguin. I believe my legs are too weak to help my walks look normal. I appreciate any suggestions on how to speed up strength and flexibility during the consolidation/recovery phase.

My legs are so stiff, still.
I don't think I have much pain any longer because my muscles are stretched. I feel like my pain originates from the bone gap area and propagates to joints, etc.  I could however be totally wrong on this and the pain could be mostly due to soft tissue being under a lot of stress/stretch.

Please let me know if you have any questions for me.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 01:58:27 AM by StrydeNailChallenge »

readyprecisestryde

« Reply #314 on: October 22, 2020, 02:10:04 AM »

Hello SNC,

I do squats with no weights, bridges, side leg raises, and Clamshell Exercise to activate the glutes. These exercises will help to build glutes, quads, and hip abductors. I stretch several times a  day doing thomas stretch, prone knee bend and hamstring. I use the stretching band to do the prone knee bend and hamstrings. I am also walking several miles a day and walk up and down the stairs :)

SpeedDialer

« Reply #315 on: October 22, 2020, 04:23:47 AM »

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

I hope you all are doing well in such strange times with COVID-19 and all.

I am going to start this new topic to share my LL experience, hoping it would help some with their current and future experiences.

I am sharing all the info I can hoping it could help current and future brother and sister LL'ers get more data points while deciding on what is best for them to go for:

48 year old male, LA county resident, 5'8", very athletic with an extremely strong upper body.

My health status: perfect based on my feeling, activities and numbers. There are exceptions: my cholesterol (LDL) has been at 110 - above normal for a very long time, despite having low levels fat body even while working from home during COVID-19.

Activities:
European soccer, gymnastics and taekwondo since I was a kid till 2001. Switched to swimming in 2001.

In short I could describe myself as someone who is exceptionally competitive and looking forward to challenges and doing things very few can do. I have done many crazy stuff in my life which make me feel happy and content. In addition to the extra height boost, the challenges of LL have been the reasons for me to go for it!

I did research on height increasing options since 2001. I've been determined to do this since the precise nail technologies were developed. The main problems were money and time and both were finally cleared this year.

I chose Dr. Mahboubian after 20 years of research, also considering that he is local and more importantly my phone call and then meeting with him in December 2019.

He assured me that based on my health status I am an ideal candidate. I showed a couple stretches that are probably records among adults in terms of the difficulty level. I completely trust Dr. Mahboubian and 100% sure if something goes wrong he would be able to make the right decision and perform the steps carefully and precisely.

I Did BILATERAL FEMUR OSTEOPLASTY WITH STRYDE NAILS on Thursday, July 23, 2020, aiming for 8 cm.

I will post my diary, hopefully on a daily basis. So far the most important finding since the surgery is that the LL challenge looks impossible to deal with individually with no help. I quickly realized that it's a team work. In addition to the posts here, the help of many loved ones have been crucial, therefore if all goes well, it would be a mission accomplished by a group of people and I was just one of them. 

I would like to thank all the LL'ers who have shared their experiences all these years. I am so thankful especially to my man, IFS whose posts have helped me so much since a week before the surgery when I started reading them.

Overall how much did the total experience cost you?

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #316 on: October 22, 2020, 06:33:45 AM »

Hello SNC,

I do squats with no weights, bridges, side leg raises, and Clamshell Exercise to activate the glutes. These exercises will help to build glutes, quads, and hip abductors. I stretch several times a  day doing thomas stretch, prone knee bend and hamstring. I use the stretching band to do the prone knee bend and hamstrings. I am also walking several miles a day and walk up and down the stairs :)

Thanks man! this is great help. I make sure to add them to my list!

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #317 on: October 22, 2020, 06:45:37 AM »

Overall how much did the total experience cost you?

I am going to try my best to add everything here:
1) Hospital: $45k

2) Dr. Mahboubian's fee:  $25k

3) Anesthesia doctor: about $2000

4) pre-surgery evaluation by a third party: about $500 (including some x-rays they took).

5) Pre-surgery x-ray in a center Dr. M., referred me to, because I was worried that I had a height discrepancy between left and right legs, with left being shorter.    The cost was $170. 

6) x-ray reading at the hospital: This is a bill I later received and found out had not been included in the $45K hospital fees: around $100

7) Cost of equipment (wheelchair, walker, crutches, massage roller and ball)  : overall around  $220

8 ) Cost of medicine (pain killers):  $20+$50+$65+$20+$25+$30 = $210

9) Cost of vitamins/calcium: I already had them at home, but must be around $30 or so.

10) Cost of pain ointments and patches: $60

11) Cost of PT (physical therapy): $25 per session. So far 3 sessions, but overall I expect to go for a maximum of 20 sessions, therefore around $500.

12) Unfortunately I wasted a lot of water and most likely energy (for the water heater) for my multiple hot showers/bathtubs. I feel very bad about this part, but I depend on how water to manage my pain!

13) I live in LA area, so I did not need to rent a place. I also have not included the cost of food or transportation (as I drive myself).

Looks like the first 11 items add up for about 74000 dollars.

I hope this helps.

init1alove

« Reply #318 on: October 22, 2020, 08:05:34 AM »

I am going to try my best to add everything here:
1) Hospital: $45k

2) Dr. Mahboubian's fee:  $25k

3) Anesthesia doctor: about $2000

4) pre-surgery evaluation by a third party: about $500 (including some x-rays they took).

5) Pre-surgery x-ray in a center Dr. M., referred me to, because I was worried that I had a height discrepancy between left and right legs, with left being shorter.    The cost was $170. 

6) x-ray reading at the hospital: This is a bill I later received and found out had not been included in the $45K hospital fees: around $100

7) Cost of equipment (wheelchair, walker, crutches, massage roller and ball)  : overall around  $220

8 ) Cost of medicine (pain killers):  $20+$50+$65+$20+$25+$30 = $210

9) Cost of vitamins/calcium: I already had them at home, but must be around $30 or so.

10) Cost of pain ointments and patches: $60

11) Cost of PT (physical therapy): $25 per session. So far 3 sessions, but overall I expect to go for a maximum of 20 sessions, therefore around $500.

12) Unfortunately I wasted a lot of water and most likely energy (for the water heater) for my multiple hot showers/bathtubs. I feel very bad about this part, but I depend on how water to manage my pain!

13) I live in LA area, so I did not need to rent a place. I also have not included the cost of food or transportation (as I drive myself).

Looks like the first 11 items add up for about 74000 dollars.

I hope this helps.

This really helps! Need to compare Dr M between Dr Paley

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #319 on: October 22, 2020, 05:56:29 PM »

This really helps! Need to compare Dr M between Dr Paley

Glad this helped :)

Best wishes on your future endeavors.

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #320 on: October 24, 2020, 04:11:19 PM »

Day 92 Post-op (Thurs., Oct. 22) - Consolidation Day 11
Day 93 Post-op (Fri., Oct. 23) - Consolidation Day 12

Pain Levels:   My left and right were mostly like day and night, in terms of pain level, post-op especially during the distraction phase; with left creating high levels of pain, and right no pain, as if no surgery or distraction were done. This has finally changed during consolidation. I experience almost the same level of pain equally on both. It ranges from 0 of 4, on a scale of 10 on both legs, with level 4 typically occurring late afternoon to midnight.

I noticed if I have long walks, like a mile or longer, the pain increases. The pain spot does not randomly move, like old times. Instead, it's typically at the bone gap, on upper knee areas or on the exterior side of my thighs. Considering that I have experienced pain levels like level 9 before during post-op, low levels of pain should help me feel much better than before, however there is a chance I may have developed some Tramadol and Gabapentin withdrawal symptoms:

Painkiller Withdrawal: I cut down Gabapentin and Tramadol gradually in about 9 days, from two Tramadol and two Gabapentin pills during the distraction phase, to one Tramadol and one Gabapentin, then two half Tramadol and no Gabapentin, then half Tramadol and finally complete withdrawal from Tramadol.

I have had some symptoms in the last few days that could be related to withdrawal from Tramadol and Gabapentin. Online sources (e.g., https://americanaddictioncenters.org/tramadol-abuse/withdrawal  and  https://americanaddictioncenters.org/neurontin-abuse/gabapentin-cause-withdrawal-symptoms) list anxiety, aggression, depression, insomnia, agitation, hallucinations, etc. as some of the withdrawal symptoms.   I have definitely had sleeping disorders, with nightmares.

I think I may have developed some of those symptoms, such as agitation, depression, insomnia and anxiety:

I have never regretted going for this challenge, but in the last few days, there were times, I seriously thought about what I did, and whether it was worth it. I thought about the long term process of finally claiming the job is done, but on this case, it may take years (if not forever) to finally be done with the consequences of it. I still don't regret it, but there is chance Tramadol withdrawal made me almost regret it!

Also, there have been a few episodes, when I was thinking it would feel so good if my legs were cut from hip level; I don't think pain is the reason.

In any case, online resources suggest that the symptoms would be gone in a couple weeks.

Exercises:   I stretch 3 to 5 times per day. Each time would be based on the list I have already posted here, plus a few more exercises that readyprecisestryde suggested here (bridges, clamshell, prone knee bend). I also do indoor cycling (very short like one minute only each time) and taking stairs to strengthen my legs.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 06:35:37 PM by StrydeNailChallenge »

Jackieeechan

« Reply #321 on: October 24, 2020, 08:02:51 PM »

Do you regret it now, after the procedure and distraction completed? How many inches did you gained?

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #322 on: October 25, 2020, 08:47:31 AM »

Do you regret it now, after the procedure and distraction completed? How many inches did you gained?

I have not regretted it yet. I meant to say "almost", cause among the crazy things I think of, one was rethinking the surgery and all the hardship and questioning why among the challenges on my list I did not pick another challenge that I could take care of in a shorter time, like getting into skydiving and trying to master it.

I think the Tramadol and Gabapentin withdrawal symptoms are the reason for my negative thoughts. Especially having taken Tramadol for over two months, I am definitely addicted to it and I am not surprised if my body shows these symptoms now that I am trying to quit on Tramadol.

My goals were: 1) gain 8 inches, 2) go back to normal. I gained 8 inches. Items 2 would most likely take a very long time for me, if at all possible. E.g., I am not sure whether with taller legs I could ever swim as fast as before. I used to be a fast swimmer thanks for my long torso and strong upper body. I believe I can regain my upper body strength, but my tall legs may slow me down during swimming. I am looking forward to finding a safe indoor pool in my area and restart swimming to see how it goes.

Jackieeechan

« Reply #323 on: October 25, 2020, 09:32:46 AM »

8 inchesss???? Thats crazy. !!!!

Tartar

« Reply #324 on: October 25, 2020, 11:16:23 AM »

8 inchesss???? Thats crazy. !!!!
I think he means 8cm

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #325 on: October 25, 2020, 01:42:48 PM »

I have not regretted it yet. I meant to say "almost", cause among the crazy things I think of, one was rethinking the surgery and all the hardship and questioning why among the challenges on my list I did not pick another challenge that I could take care of in a shorter time, like getting into skydiving and trying to master it.

I think the Tramadol and Gabapentin withdrawal symptoms are the reason for my negative thoughts. Especially having taken Tramadol for over two months, I am definitely addicted to it and I am not surprised if my body shows these symptoms now that I am trying to quit on Tramadol.

My goals were: 1) gain 8 cm, 2) go back to normal. I gained 8 cm. Items 2 would most likely take a very long time for me, if at all possible. E.g., I am not sure whether with taller legs I could ever swim as fast as before. I used to be a fast swimmer thanks for my long torso and strong upper body. I believe I can regain my upper body strength, but my tall legs may slow me down during swimming. I am looking forward to finding a safe indoor pool in my area and restart swimming to see how it goes.

Sorry for the typo. I meant 8cm.

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #326 on: October 26, 2020, 12:36:41 AM »

The List of my Stretching Exercises. Version 1:

I do each of the following several times in each stretching session:

The List of my Stretching Exercises. Version 2:

I do each of the following at least 3 times per day, since consolidation phase started:

1) My number one exercise looks similar to the one that starts around second 42: 
I try to grab my thighs with my hands on the sides and try to push further. As I got taller, unfortunately I have failed to reach my toes with my hands. I hope someday I can make it happen gain :)

2) The one that starts around second 1:25, in the same video for exercise 1:   

These days, since I cannot bend my knees that much, it looks like what the guy in the video does, but I would like to improve in bending one legs further during consolidation.

3) The one that starts around second 2:04 in the same video: , however instead of towels, I use my hands to bring the leg up. Also when up, I try to tilt the leg as an extra exercise.

4) I think this exercise is similar to squats, but I do this on the bed. while sitting with my legs straightened at start, I bend my knees and try to sit up on my toes, using my hands on the floor as support. This is very difficult for me, cause of my stiff quads.

5) Thomas stretch:   

However I use my hands behind my thighs to push them further towards my chest.

6) while sitting on the bed, I make a diamond shape with legs (bent knees, toes touching). I push my chest towards my tibias, while my hands are on my toes.

7) I lie down on my back, with knees bent and legs far apart by as much as my shoulders. I then roll my legs to the right all the way to the floor and then repeat for the left side. This exercises makes me feel relaxed a bit, otherwise, it's not as important as others.

8 ) This is like a set of exercises:
8a) I do the one that starts around second 1:25 in

8b) I lie down on my side at the edge of the bed, with my back facing the side of the bed. I then take on leg slightly up and then moving back from bed and down towards the side wall of the bed. I do that for several times for each side.

8c) I like down on my back close to the edge of the bed, then move the leg that is closer to the edge down along the sidewall of the bed, while the other leg is on the bed, bent to support the move.

9) This is like a set of exercises. I would like to clarify that my list mostly focuses on the legs, but there are some moves that are generally helpful for the body to stay flexible.
9a) Cobra:

9b) Cat:

But I also add the fellow's move around second 17:

9c) I had recommended this to Movie, for knee pain. I had learnt this from a PT a few years ago, and it helped me manage the knee pain I had at the time:   I start with a plank like around second 38 in this video:
I then move my body up and down for 40 to 60 times each time.

10) I sit with my legs bent towards my chest. I then use a stretch band to tie my knees together right at the upper knee parts. I then try to move the knees apart by as much as I can.

11) A set:
11a)  I use a towel and do the exercise that starts around second 1.31 in the video of exercise 1:

11b) I wrap a towel around my ankle, and try to pull the towel towards myself (which makes my knee bend), while keeping the other leg straight. I do this several times for each leg.

12) I sit at the edge of a bed, chair, sofa, etc., with both legs on the ground, one bent and one straight. I then move my body forward. The more forward, the higher the pressure on hamstrings.

13) Standing next to the bed for support, I bend to touch the ground with my hands. This is my comfort zone, as it takes me a few second to warm up and easily touch the ground with both hands, or one hand, while trying to keep my knees straight using the bed sidewall as support.

14) I had lost my six-packs in the last couple years, but still had ab tones, and some horizontal lines that made it look athletic. One negative impact of this surgery was losing  too much weight for me, out of which something good came out: I've got my six-packs back. The weight loss could partially be caused by the painkillers and the pain itself, but I have not read a reliable article about that. It's just what I have heard or red in blogs.
 To maintain my six-packs I do a lot of quick short sit-ups. By short, I mean my sit-ups are like half way what a normal sit-up is. I barely get up from the floor, but my trick is that I do it many times (e.g., 200 times each round). While doing the fast sit-ups, I also move my face to the left and right, every ew sit-ups, to have the jawline and avoid getting double chins. I hope this helps those who would like to lose their love handles and abs' fat and create or maintain their jawline.

15) I have recently started doing this just once per day: I lie on my back and lift one leg up and down several times. I also do this while standing and using a chair or wall as support to life one leg towards back or sides. This is for butt guys like me (butt guy is an official name a BoneStretching gave us on Movie's diary for those guys like us with flat butts :D) to try to reclaim their butt muscles.

16) last but not least, walking, indoor cycling, and going uptrains and downstairs, are very helpful in stretching and strengthening leg muscles.

Thanks for readyprecisestryde, I have added the following to the list:

17) Clamshell exercises: I do the exercises that start around second 1:05, second 1:20, and 1:38 in this video:

18) Prone knee bend: like this:     however since I am on my own, I do this with no help; which makes it not that great!

19) bridge: I do the first exercise in this video:

20) Side Straight Leg Raise: Like this one:
Hope this helps!

Feel free to add more to this list or make changes, if you think necessary. If so, it would be nice to know your idea here.

@readyprecisestryde, thanks once again for helping me with exercises 17 to 20.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 12:59:59 AM by StrydeNailChallenge »

readyprecisestryde

« Reply #327 on: October 26, 2020, 02:00:50 AM »

I bought Tiger Tail The Long One 22" and been using before stretching or leg workouts. It is very helpful to warmup the muscles prior to workouts. Thanks for the recommendation!!

BelowTheMean

« Reply #328 on: October 26, 2020, 04:05:21 AM »

Nice update with all the stretching exercises. I'll be trying some of them out.
Stryde Femurs - Debiparshad - Nov 2020
Nail Removal - Downey - Apr 2022
Journal (169cm -> 177cm) http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=65617

Current Status: Recovered, moving on

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #329 on: October 27, 2020, 02:53:44 AM »

I bought Tiger Tail The Long One 22" and been using before stretching or leg workouts. It is very helpful to warmup the muscles prior to workouts. Thanks for the recommendation!!

Funny story! I ended up returning the 18" and got and 22", cause I thought I could do massage both legs in each roll :) I am glad you went straight to get the 22".

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #330 on: October 27, 2020, 06:04:52 PM »

Day 94 Post-op (Sat., Oct. 24) - Consolidation Day 13
Day 95 Post-op (Sun., Oct. 25) - Consolidation Day 14
Day 96 Post-op (Mon., Oct. 26) - Consolidation Day 15

The feeling of discomfort or any possible Tramadol withdrawal (https://www.verywellmind.com/tramadol-withdrawal-4177612), that I've experienced, typically occurs between late afternoon and midnight or later when I fall asleep. 

Online sources note that Tramadol withdrawal symptoms typically last for a week. The last time I took Tramadol was last Tuesday, so I hope I would be symptom free in a couple days.

The numbness on the tibia area of my left leg (which started while I was on a fast distraction phase of 1.33mm per day) is not as bad as before, but not completely resolved!   

The stiffness on both legs is a surprise to me! My expectation was that soft tissue would have grown sufficiently in two weeks since distraction phase was over; sufficient enough to not create any stiffness!

8cm bone consolidation is a slow process and I am losing my patience! I hope for a breakthrough to feel normal much earlier than a typical CLL recovery time!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 08:29:29 PM by StrydeNailChallenge »

Amanexp

« Reply #331 on: October 28, 2020, 03:36:17 AM »

Hey SNC,

Did the Gabapentin take care of the numbing on your tibia when you were taking it? Also did you take1 pill for 5 days 2 for another 5 and 3 for the rest? I just got prescribed it, and I’ve been taking gabapentin in hopes it will help with my numbing tibia, so far I don’t feel much changed.

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #332 on: October 28, 2020, 03:47:58 AM »

Hey SNC,

Did the Gabapentin take care of the numbing on your tibia when you were taking it? Also did you take1 pill for 5 days 2 for another 5 and 3 for the rest? I just got prescribed it, and I’ve been taking gabapentin in hopes it will help with my numbing tibia, so far I don’t feel much changed.

Hi Amanexp,

Gabapentin did absolutely nothing as far as the numbing on the tibia area.    I would probably never find out how effective Gabapentin was, cause I started it before I developed much nerve pain! however there is a high chance it was the reason I did not experience much nerve pain later on.  The only noticeable symptom I got from Gabapentin was drowsiness and short term memory loss (like forgetting some meetings, or deadlines!!) 

Dr. M. prescribed two 300mg Gabapentin pills from day 1. I kept taking two until after distraction, then I reduced it to one and finally withdrew from it completely, I think on Sat., Oct. 17, six days into the consolidation phase.

Amanexp

« Reply #333 on: October 28, 2020, 03:59:11 AM »

Ahh that’s a bummer. This non stop numbing and static shocks every now and then gets so annoying!

I hope you are doing ok my friend

readyprecisestryde

« Reply #334 on: October 28, 2020, 04:50:40 AM »

I have minor nerve pain and numbness on my shin of my left leg. I have been using PainBloc24 Maximum Strength OTC Capsaicin 0.25% and it is helping my minor nerve pain/numbness.

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #335 on: October 28, 2020, 03:21:28 PM »

I have minor nerve pain and numbness on my shin of my left leg. I have been using PainBloc24 Maximum Strength OTC Capsaicin 0.25% and it is helping my minor nerve pain/numbness.

The numbness is tolerable and I am highly against taking painkillers! therefore I have decided to stay painkiller free for as long as I can.

The numbness on tibia should be the result of nerve damage right? I hope with PT'ing and walking and help of time, the nerve reverses the damage and goes back to normal.

readyprecisestryde

« Reply #336 on: October 28, 2020, 04:42:07 PM »

The numbness is the result of nerve irritation and it will take sometime for it to go away. I cleaned up my diet and taking vitamin B complex to help the nerves regenerate themselves. Nerves grow at rate of around 1mm a day.

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #337 on: October 29, 2020, 08:48:57 PM »

Day 83 Post-op (Tue., Oct. 13) - Consolidation Day 2

I was planning to run a distraction session when I meet Dr. M.; to show him exactly how the devices sounds and see whether he is sure that I have hit 8cm. Based on today's x-rays, Dr. M., measured my left at 8cm and my right at 7.8.

Right is 3mm taller than what we had planned for. Dr. M. said I had two options: 1) flipping the device and try to shorten by as much as 3mm, 2) keep as is, cause 3mm would not make much of a difference.   He was more inclined towards option 2 and I also thought I should just leave things as they are.

I asked Dr. M., whether I should go for another x-ray I got before I started the surgery where they measure the hip level, etc. accurately. He said, there is no reason and he is confident on the accuracy of his measurements (80mm on left and 78mm on right).

He is impressed by how tall I have become and took pictures with me (for before/after comparisons), but also mentioned that I have not realized my full height, cause my knees are not completely straight and I should generally see improvement in my body, which make me stand taller as well.

I would like to post the last set of x-rays taken on Tues., Oct. 13, two days after I had stopped lengthening. Dr. M.'s comments are posted on the quoted message. 

https://imgur.com/FiaNbTw   
https://imgur.com/ZgLZfUn
https://imgur.com/6ijIHvq
https://imgur.com/MUtTuRn

Take care everyone,
SNC

Tartar

« Reply #338 on: October 29, 2020, 09:13:10 PM »

I would like to post the last set of x-rays taken on Tues., Oct. 13, two days after I had stopped lengthening. Dr. M.'s comments are posted on the quoted message. 

https://imgur.com/FiaNbTw   
https://imgur.com/ZgLZfUn
https://imgur.com/6ijIHvq
https://imgur.com/MUtTuRn

Take care everyone,
SNC
First of all congratulations for the achievement of your goal! Now you just have to wait for the bone callus.
As i suggested to m7 in the other diary the best way now should be to go for an XR standing, in this way you can know for sure what's the difference between your limbs. Femur lenght is not the main thing to pay attention about truly.
If you like you still have time to do it, just to be as much precise as possible. Obv dr. M knows what he's doing, for sure you're not crooked right now, but it's a way I suggest you if you want to be sure about it.

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #339 on: October 30, 2020, 12:43:53 AM »

First of all congratulations for the achievement of your goal! Now you just have to wait for the bone callus.
As i suggested to m7 in the other diary the best way now should be to go for an XR standing, in this way you can know for sure what's the difference between your limbs. Femur lenght is not the main thing to pay attention about truly.
If you like you still have time to do it, just to be as much precise as possible. Obv dr. M knows what he's doing, for sure you're not crooked right now, but it's a way I suggest you if you want to be sure about it.

I did that Tartar. I also posted all the numbers here. The results show that there is not much difference between left and right.

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #340 on: October 30, 2020, 12:51:51 AM »

This is what the clinic sent me. All I get from it is that the two legs were almost same height, but I don't understand anything more:

CLINICAL HISTORY: Reason: s/p lengthening procedure.

COMPARISON: No previous study available.

Findings:
RIGHT HIP:
Distance from center of femoral head to medial femoral condyle is:
50.2 cm
Distance from medial femoral condyle to center of tibial plafond is:
34.1 cm
Distance from center of femoral head to center of tibial plafond is:
84.3 cm

LEFT HIP:
Distance from center of femoral head to medial femoral condyle is:
50.2 cm
Distance from medial femoral condyle to center of tibial plafond is:
34 cm
Distance from center of femoral head to center of tibial plafond is:
84.2 cm

IMPRESSION: There is no significant leg length discrepancy in both
lower extremity.

This report electronically signed by Dr. X YYY M.D. on
10/10/2020 11:54 PM

Tartar bro,
This is the results of the accurate x-ray standing I had done and posted on 10th of October, two days before distraction phase was complete. It must be super accurate, cause I was told for the type of x-ray my doctor ordered, only a couple offices in LA area, among all the offices my insurance has, would be able to do that kind of x-ray.

My main concern at this point, is my lack of patience. I underestimated my recovery time. I was very optimistic I would be pain free in three months and back to normal in 6 months. It's past three months and I still have pain and discomfort starting late afternoon to midnight times. My gait does not yet look normal!  I highly doubt I would be back to normal in 6 months!

Don't get me wrong; I am still grateful for what I have achieved so far, but I should learn to be a bit more patient with the slow recovery of the CLL surgery!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 01:55:34 AM by StrydeNailChallenge »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 23   Go Up