Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Caregiver advice and tips  (Read 313 times)

Hugthetruth

• Visitor
Caregiver advice and tips
« on: August 09, 2020, 05:54:47 PM »

Hi

I’m male and have a female friend that’s doing tibia 5cm both legs. I will be caring for her for two weeks post surgery. I want to hear any advice you may have to prepare for the care.

- Should I get room with handicap access? Tub (with shower) or Shower only? Does hot bath help?
- When can the patient take shower? Should should we use wet towel? Any watch outs?
- What kind of help is needed the most? I heard helping to move legs up and down the bed/chair?
- When can the patient start to eat solid food?
- Leg massage helpful or should legs be avoided? Or hot towel treatment?
- Will tibia procedure affect any other places like back soreness?
- I’m assuming the patient’s arm and upper body retains strength?
- I’m assuming the patient will be in bad mood so just ignore her emotions?
- Any other watch out and advice appreciated

Thanks

a

• 5'9
Re: Caregiver advice and tips
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2020, 07:11:57 PM »

Hey,

Mind If I ask if being a caregiver your actual profession or are you just helping a friend of yours? If so, you are a great friend and I just wanted to say thank you for being such nice.
height: 174-5 at night
wingspan: 180+

mangoman

• Visitor
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2020, 07:27:48 PM »

Let me try to reply to your questions. I'm not a doctor but a current femur (Stryde) patient.

Overall it depends quite a lot on the used lengthening method (internal or external).

- Should I get room with handicap access? Tub (with shower) or Shower only? Does hot bath help?

Room with handicap access is helpful for the first days and weeks but not always necessary. I used tub and shower. Hot baths help to relieve the muscle pain.

- When can the patient take shower? Should should we use wet towel? Any watch outs?

That question should answer her doc. I was allowed to shower after a few days.

- What kind of help is needed the most? I heard helping to move legs up and down the bed/chair?

Help to get in and out of the bed in the first days. Providing meals and that stuff as well.

- When can the patient start to eat solid food?

I ate normal dinner after surgery.

- Leg massage helpful or should legs be avoided? Or hot towel treatment?

Leg massages and hot towels help me to relieve pain.

- Will tibia procedure affect any other places like back soreness?

Possible. Especially when you start walking again your whole body somehow adapts.

- I’m assuming the patient’s arm and upper body retains strength?

At least in my case I did not lose upper body strength.

- I’m assuming the patient will be in bad mood so just ignore her emotions?

Mood might change from day to day. Nevertheless, it is always a bad idea to ignore someones emotions.

Hugthetruth

• Visitor
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2020, 07:37:27 PM »

I’m in corporate finance. Thanks for the tip. Yea I didn’t mean to say ignore her when she’s in bad mood. I meant to say to be prepared for mood swings and not to take it personally.

She’s doing internal, using the latest technology PS so she can walk immediately.

I’ll also be helping to cook, laundry and wash her hair.

Any good advice that helps a patient heal faster?

Thank you!

Hugthetruth

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2020, 07:43:14 PM »

Also I’m assuming the first few days post surgery I will need to be full time to help. Afterwards is it still full time or do I have time to do some work?

mangoman

• Visitor
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2020, 07:46:54 PM »

Eating enough healthy food and doing a lot physical therapy will help to heal faster. Nevertheless, the process takes time and she should be aware of that.

If you work remotely you can work in the first two weeks as well. After two weeks you should be able to work almost normally if you can spend a few minutes to help her here and there.
Pages: [1]   Go Up