Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hello again world, researching for femurs now- femoral veterans, please help out  (Read 549 times)

fivetenneeded2016

Hi guys,
Hope everyone is doing fine now?

Its been 13 months since my frame removal. Life was quite normal for me even with the frames on(if you read my diary). Now its got a bit busy with clearing the finances that was used for the tibias.

Here are some pictures(xrays were 7 months post frame removal, just months before the lockdown):

http://imgur.com/a/RvJLRWe

I know my scars are terrible :p

Now I have started lurking here again since I plan to do my femurs.

Although I would ask the opinions from the doctors(Dr pili/dr betz are my choices for femurs). I would also want to do a bit of my own research(anecdotal experiences preferably, so veterans please help me out on this), mostly between the choice of mangetic nail/ratcheting, ONLY IN TERMS OF BONE ORIENTATION..I do not want to know from the newbies about the basic facts like weight bearing ability of stryde/possible reversability of nails? etc.

So I see that while duck ass is common in both ratcheting and magnetic nails, I have seen a few cases have X-legs(kinda like knock knees) with the ratcheting nail. Is it a case that happens quite common, atleast if you know of anyone from your batch who has expeirenced the same?

Also what other con would you list for the betzbone(apart from its ratcheting mechanism, durability- I havent read of any failures offlate though, and non reversibility)

Also what are the risks, if you are subjected to jerk while you slip, or if you fall on your hands- both while lengthening and during consolidation?

Thanks
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 09:27:17 PM by fivetenneeded2016 »
tibias: april 2018 to july 2019 under dr pili/catagni- HEF.
femurs: feb 2021 and sep 2021 dr halil-precise 2
159-181.
came. lengthened. moving on.

a

• 5'9

Hello,

I'm glad that you are okay. Have you lost your agility even for a tiny bit or are you pretty much as the same as before, only taller?
Also can you please upload the pictures to imgur, I guess you posted pictures but they are not visible on this thread.

Best Regards

edit: I need to ask you something which has been my concern for 1.5 years. I also want to get 2 surgeries 7+5 and hit 185cm,
the thing is after the first surgery, do you realise it's not that hard and want to get the second surgery? or you think you are already pretty much fked up athletically and you feel like you got nothing else to lose, and wanna just be taller?

sorry for the bad english, i feel kinda drunk right now. I hope you get what I mean
height: 174-5 at night
wingspan: 180+

fivetenneeded2016

Hello,

I'm glad that you are okay. Have you lost your agility even for a tiny bit or are you pretty much as the same as before, only taller?
Also can you please upload the pictures to imgur, I guess you posted pictures but they are not visible on this thread.

Best Regards

Umm, I cannot comment on my agility, since I have run yet. I prefer to avoid anything involving jerk/impact/weight on my leg for another 2 years to be safe, although I have the permission from my doctor.

I bike to work, walk for 40 mins on alternate days, and even climb(up and down) stairs effortlessly...So that way I havent experienced anything off.
159-181.

fivetenneeded2016

edit: I need to ask you something which has been my concern for 1.5 years. I also want to get 2 surgeries 7+5 and hit 185cm,
the thing is after the first surgery, do you realise it's not that hard and want to get the second surgery? or you think you are already pretty much fked up athletically and you feel like you got nothing else to lose, and wanna just be taller?

sorry for the bad english, i feel kinda drunk right now. I hope you get what I mean

Well its going to be my second surgery. I had my first one in 2018 april, I had my removal in july 2019. i do not want to tell how much I ahve lengthened though.

Regarding your question, femurs would feel quite easy for me I guess, given that i pulled off the external tibias that too with atl and every month of travel. I might stay close to the clinic this time, given the lockdown has allowed for work from home  ;).. Again its more of a mental battle :)

Well I do weight traning and mild cardio(kinobody's fitness regime). I had given up on being competitive at sports long ago, after my ACL reconstructive surgery(had a complete tear) So as long as I can walk/jog or run casually I dont mind :) YMMV

159-181.

ghkid2019

• Inactive account

You had Achilles tendon lengthening i see. Must've hurt badly. Probably worse than LL itself.
This account is no longer in use.

User requested self-ban.

a

• 5'9

Thanks for your honest responses!

So you are saying that you are doing totally fine, nothing is off; and thanks for the beautiful result regaring to your first journey, you've decided to get the femurs done since it's sort of a perfect time (lockdown etc.) for it? Are you agreeing with all of these above? Also forgot to ask, is your gait totally fine, could someone even understand you did something to your legs and your momentum is limited?

Also, Do you mind your proportions? Can you give me your opinion hypothetically, i'm 173cm and my wingspan is like 181cms; do you think I could pull 6'1 off or nah?
I hope the best for you.

Best Regards

fivetenneeded2016

Thanks for your honest responses!

So you are saying that you are doing totally fine, nothing is off; and thanks for the beautiful result regaring to your first journey, you've decided to get the femurs done since it's sort of a perfect time (lockdown etc.) for it? Are you agreeing with all of these above? Also forgot to ask, is your gait totally fine, could someone even understand you did something to your legs and your momentum is limited?

Also, Do you mind your proportions? Can you give me your opinion hypothetically, i'm 173cm and my wingspan is like 181cms; do you think I could pull 6'1 off or nah?
I hope the best for you.

Best Regards

Yes everything is fine, nothing that I would do otherwise that I am not doing now. I would update on this once i run/play soccer, but i would not do it for another year or so...and if i do my femurs now, probably like 4 years later i might tell :) I would definwitely tell though whenever i run.

I guess you should do okay, it depends on your torso length and face too..I have a long face and torso. I think I read you could.do +8 cm of your wingspan if your torso allows, to be in proportion.
159-181.

a

• 5'9

Just checked your xray, looks excellent so far brother!
Have you ever confronted problems or complications during the lenghtening/consolidating period? If you have, what cautions did you especially your doc take in order to fix them?

Best Regards

HD

• Visitor

Hi! I'm glad you are OK
Your "new bones" should be completely good and healed, because you did external fixator. Why do you should wait to run or try other things? Did Pili asked to you or its an unmotivated fear( I'm not saying it's wrong just there is no medical factor that avoid you to run ecc).

What about ATL? Do you think that this operation ruined your " force" on your legs or the impact is minimal?

Last question, do you feel strange sensation or pains on your legs?, and how is your walk? It's strange or normal?

About your question and new operation, what about going to Pili again? You did well with him.

Good luck :)

fivetenneeded2016

Just checked your xray, looks excellent so far brother!
Have you ever confronted problems or complications during the lenghtening/consolidating period? If you have, what cautions did you especially your doc take in order to fix them?

Best Regards
Thanks. As mentioned I did have ATL, pinsite infections to name the main problems. Pinsite infection was fixed with antibiotics+cleaning with chlorine.
159-181.

fivetenneeded2016

Hi! I'm glad you are OK
Your "new bones" should be completely good and healed, because you did external fixator. Why do you should wait to run or try other things? Did Pili asked to you or its an unmotivated fear( I'm not saying it's wrong just there is no medical factor that avoid you to run ecc).

What about ATL? Do you think that this operation ruined your " force" on your legs or the impact is minimal?

Last question, do you feel strange sensation or pains on your legs?, and how is your walk? It's strange or normal?

About your question and new operation, what about going to Pili again? You did well with him.

Good luck :)

I am waiting before I start running/impact activities just as a caition. I have the green flag from pili though. My walk is normal, both in terms of look and feel. I cannot comment on the implications of ATL on my force as I havent tried any activity as such yet.

Only reason I would want to goto pili is because he is very particular about the alignment and functionality. But again stryde only allows for 8cm. So..
159-181.

frenchie

I don't know if Betzbone can cause better or worse alignment than Precice and Stryde. Everyone's bones are different in size and shape. If a nail is available in multiple varieties (curvature and diameter) then it would imply that a surgeon could choose the best fit to get the best alignment. I have no idea about this for Betzbone. I doubt the specifications of the nail are even published anywhere. The factory probably manufactures just 10 nails for Betz and Betz alone, every month based on his demand.
Pages: [1]   Go Up