Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Femurs stryde with Giotikas (July 2020)  (Read 24431 times)

m7liam

Femurs stryde with Giotikas (July 2020)
« on: August 16, 2020, 07:30:24 AM »

Hi all, posting my diary with femurs Stryde with Giotikas. Original height 168cm, aiming for 8cm, male 26 years old.

Apologies I will have to come back and write in more detail my first 30 days as I am now 2.5cm in but to quickly summarise

Surgery to t+4 -> very painful, was juiced up on painkillers for 4 days, could barely move, every leg movement gave me pain. I naively thought that I would be able to go home by myself but ended up having a nurse 24 hours with me for the first week as it was extremely difficult to go toilet or do anything. Hospital food sucked!!

Week 1 - Nurse with me whole week, was basically confined in wheelchair, couldn't move. Apparently I was below average in terms of flexibility and first week out of gate

Week 2 - Started to take first steps with crutches. Baby steps. On t+14, it was my first time out of the house with crutches only (previously I had to use a wheelchair to get to PT). Surgery pain at this point had died down but there was a lot of stretching pain from trying to regain your leg mobility. This meant during week 2 I was taking about 4 100mg tramadols and 8 panadols a day. My left leg was more flexible (i.e., I could flex it ~90 degrees) but my right leg was much stronger (left leg would occasionally have spasms)

Week 3 - Getting stronger, by t+17 I could use 1 crutch to move instead of 2. At the end of week 3 (t+21), I took my first steps with no crutches, however, I was walking like a penguin with huge side to side body swings. Pain was better this week although I was still taking 3 tramadols a day.

Week 4 - Getting stronger again, I now can walk without huge body swings although there is a little bit of body swing remaining. The big change was due to using my legs to move instead of my hips which was previously causing the body swing penguin walk. Taking 2 tramadols a day.

Today (t+32) - Today I went outside and walked 30 minutes without crutches which I thought was pretty good. I can't walk very fast (maybe 0.6kmph) but its slowly improving. I'm now at 2.5cm. Pain shot up last night so had to increase dose to 3 tramadols yesterday.

One major problem I have in the last 2 days is I have wide legs. I.e., 3 days ago, my legs were about 40 cm apart with no discomfort and I couldn't bring them together any closer than 10cm. I did some stretching in the last 2 days and now they are maybe 20 cm apart with no discomfort and I can bring them to touch. However, this is one big thing I have to work on and I am a bit worried as I am only 2.5cm in! Will keep you guys updated

spartacusforhimself

Re: Femurs stryde with Giotikas (July 2020)
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2020, 09:02:27 AM »

are you in Athens?

m7liam

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2020, 07:41:58 PM »

Saw the doctor today and he implied my wide legs might be self inflicted. Ever since I could walk without crutches I haven’t used them again. But as a result, I have been wide walking for balance.

Very annoying to get wide legs at 2.5cm, not sure if anyone else had it so early.

Also I notice that when I try to move my legs upwards I get a twang in my sides that feels like my muscle is caught on a bone and then suddenly released. Does anything know anything about that?

AllAboutPerspective

• Visitor
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2020, 03:54:14 PM »

Thanks for doing this diary! I'm looking to do Stryde femurs with Dr. Giotikas too (I live in Europe so it's a lot easier).

There aren't many diaries with Dr. Giotikas so it'll be nice to see your progress with him. Although the general impression of him is good, I am worried that his prices are too low. But it's just really convenient for me to go to Greece rather than America
Stryde Femurs w/ Dr. Giotikas Feb 2021

Movie

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2020, 05:05:51 PM »

Saw the doctor today and he implied my wide legs might be self inflicted. Ever since I could walk without crutches I haven’t used them again. But as a result, I have been wide walking for balance.

Very annoying to get wide legs at 2.5cm, not sure if anyone else had it so early.

Also I notice that when I try to move my legs upwards I get a twang in my sides that feels like my muscle is caught on a bone and then suddenly released. Does anything know anything about that?
on the bone on the outer side of your knees?
Starting height: 167cm Now 175cm With Strydes Femurs with Dr. Mahboubian 09/01/2019
Nails removed 10/06/2021
My Video Logged Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=64224.0

m7liam

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2020, 08:45:00 AM »

Not at my knee, it’s actually higher up near my hip. Feels like a rubber band snap

m7liam

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2020, 08:46:53 AM »

While true there aren’t many diaries, there are 5 other guys currently doing stryde femurs or tibias with me, all at various stages of completion. I see them at PT regularly and all are doing well.

Movie

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2020, 10:38:46 AM »

Oh yeah that's normal I felt that too, the muscle is rubbing up against the screws and get stuck sometimes and snap back out of it.
Starting height: 167cm Now 175cm With Strydes Femurs with Dr. Mahboubian 09/01/2019
Nails removed 10/06/2021
My Video Logged Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=64224.0

m7liam

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2020, 06:39:05 AM »

Did you get it every time you bent your leg to walk?

So if I don’t bend the leg when I’m walking I don’t get it. If I deliberately bent the leg like 45 degrees I get the snapping feeling

anaverageperson

• Visitor
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2020, 11:18:48 PM »

Thanks for this! How much is the PT approximately, and are there any quadrilateral lengthening patients you've been able to interact with there? Any advice on budgeting for food?
Goal: +3.75cm tibias + 3.75cm femurs with STRYDE

Movie

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2020, 12:46:09 AM »

no I wouldn't get it every time I bent my knee, but it would happen some times, not often. Yours seems to be often definitely bring it up to Giotikas.
Nails removed 10/06/2021

m7liam

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2020, 10:17:24 AM »

Thanks for this! How much is the PT approximately, and are there any quadrilateral lengthening patients you've been able to interact with there? Any advice on budgeting for food?

PT is included in the overall price so I don't know the separate price for it.

Food is pretty cheap in Greece. Maybe like 15 euros a day for UberEasts equivalent.

Yes - we have one quad lengthening patient who is doing it with us. He is an absolute hero - I definitely would not want to do quad lengthening. 

m7liam

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2020, 10:21:06 AM »

Hi guys - I am at surgery + 45 days at the moment (about 3.7cm in) and things haven't really changed in the last 10 days or so. 

I still have wide legs which I have been focused on trying to improve but hasn't really changed much. Pain during the day is usually minimal (taking 2 100mg tramals per day and some panadol). My stretching ability has gone down a bit but I have been very busy with work and study (working and studying full time) hence I will admit I have slacked off.

I saw the feedback on the videos so I'll try to post a video in the next few days when I have time.

anaverageperson

• Visitor
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2020, 06:05:27 PM »

How is the quality of the PT? I was reading some old posts on here that said Greek PT was no good or something lol. Are they taking care of you and the others? Props to the quad patient...do you know how much he is planning on lengthening or how far along he is right now? What's different from his recovery compared to the others?

Glad to hear that your pains down BTW! I'm planning on doing this in the near future with Giotikas so your diary is giving me some great insights...keep up posted!!
Goal: +3.75cm tibias + 3.75cm femurs with STRYDE

m7liam

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2020, 10:06:44 PM »

How is the quality of the PT? I was reading some old posts on here that said Greek PT was no good or something lol. Are they taking care of you and the others? Props to the quad patient...do you know how much he is planning on lengthening or how far along he is right now? What's different from his recovery compared to the others?

Glad to hear that your pains down BTW! I'm planning on doing this in the near future with Giotikas so your diary is giving me some great insights...keep up posted!!

PT is pretty good. I hear from the nurse they have changed the PT because of complaints with the old one. I don’t have any reference points but I enjoy going.

The quad patient did 2 surgeries last year about 3 weeks apart and then lengthened 4cm each. Then came back this year and rebroke femurs and is in process of doing the other 4cm. He plans to rebreak the tibias after and go for the remaining 4cm.

I don’t think anything particularly different with him although he did say if he had his time again, he’d do one by one.

TwinMusicom

« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2020, 01:59:39 AM »

Hi all, posting my diary with femurs Stryde with Giotikas. Original height 168cm, aiming for 8cm, male 26 years old.

Apologies I will have to come back and write in more detail my first 30 days as I am now 2.5cm in but to quickly summarise

Surgery to t+4 -> very painful, was juiced up on painkillers for 4 days, could barely move, every leg movement gave me pain. I naively thought that I would be able to go home by myself but ended up having a nurse 24 hours with me for the first week as it was extremely difficult to go toilet or do anything. Hospital food sucked!!

Week 1 - Nurse with me whole week, was basically confined in wheelchair, couldn't move. Apparently I was below average in terms of flexibility and first week out of gate

Week 2 - Started to take first steps with crutches. Baby steps. On t+14, it was my first time out of the house with crutches only (previously I had to use a wheelchair to get to PT). Surgery pain at this point had died down but there was a lot of stretching pain from trying to regain your leg mobility. This meant during week 2 I was taking about 4 100mg tramadols and 8 panadols a day. My left leg was more flexible (i.e., I could flex it ~90 degrees) but my right leg was much stronger (left leg would occasionally have spasms)

Week 3 - Getting stronger, by t+17 I could use 1 crutch to move instead of 2. At the end of week 3 (t+21), I took my first steps with no crutches, however, I was walking like a penguin with huge side to side body swings. Pain was better this week although I was still taking 3 tramadols a day.

Week 4 - Getting stronger again, I now can walk without huge body swings although there is a little bit of body swing remaining. The big change was due to using my legs to move instead of my hips which was previously causing the body swing penguin walk. Taking 2 tramadols a day.

Today (t+32) - Today I went outside and walked 30 minutes without crutches which I thought was pretty good. I can't walk very fast (maybe 0.6kmph) but its slowly improving. I'm now at 2.5cm. Pain shot up last night so had to increase dose to 3 tramadols yesterday.

One major problem I have in the last 2 days is I have wide legs. I.e., 3 days ago, my legs were about 40 cm apart with no discomfort and I couldn't bring them together any closer than 10cm. I did some stretching in the last 2 days and now they are maybe 20 cm apart with no discomfort and I can bring them to touch. However, this is one big thing I have to work on and I am a bit worried as I am only 2.5cm in! Will keep you guys updated

Thanks for making this diary.

1. How has covid affected the process for you?

2. What did you do for the Visa? I heard Shengen visa only covers 90 days, is that basically guaranteed to be long enough? What would happen if you weren't fully healed in 90 days?

m7liam

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2020, 08:18:08 AM »

Thanks for making this diary.

1. How has covid affected the process for you?

2. What did you do for the Visa? I heard Shengen visa only covers 90 days, is that basically guaranteed to be long enough? What would happen if you weren't fully healed in 90 days?

Hi - very minimal effect from COVID. Probably the biggest one is I have to wear a mask everywhere.

I was on the Greek tourist visa which I think was 90 days. However, after 40 days post-surgery, I actually flew to London to complete my lengthening because I have friends here I wanted to meet. Hence I think my 90 days reset when I flew to London.

We had another guy in our cohort who flew back home (another European country) 2 weeks post-surgery.

ghkid2019

• Inactive account
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2020, 09:08:19 AM »

Helo sir I dink if u stand more often just standing not even need to walking your wide legs will improve immenslee
This account is no longer in use.

User requested self-ban.

AllAboutPerspective

• Visitor
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2020, 10:33:08 PM »

Hi - very minimal effect from COVID. Probably the biggest one is I have to wear a mask everywhere.

I was on the Greek tourist visa which I think was 90 days. However, after 40 days post-surgery, I actually flew to London to complete my lengthening because I have friends here I wanted to meet. Hence I think my 90 days reset when I flew to London.

We had another guy in our cohort who flew back home (another European country) 2 weeks post-surgery.

Dr. Giotikas allows you to continue lengthening in the UK?

When do you plan to fly back to Greece?
Stryde Femurs w/ Dr. Giotikas Feb 2021

m7liam

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2020, 06:07:48 PM »

Dr. Giotikas allows you to continue lengthening in the UK?

When do you plan to fly back to Greece?

Yes he does. I don't plan to go back unless something goes wrong. I'll be taking XRAYS at a local hospital and then Skyping with him for my regular check-ups.

m7liam

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2020, 06:37:07 PM »

Hi all, as promised - video attached. The video is me today (about 47 days after surgery and 4.0cm in). To be honest, my gait hasn't changed much since day 30 because I've been slacking off and working on my wide legs.

Note that I haven't done as much stretching as I should because I have been working a full-time job during this period. I also flew to London 1.5 weeks ago and haven't yet found a PT (any recommendations?)

Also - at the end, I show my wide legs - first, my "normal" wide legs, and then the effort I need to push my legs together. Also I tried to show my duckass by bringing my legs together but it doesn't appear too noticeable at this stage.

Any feedback on what I can do to improve gait/wide legs is welcomed.

F_99

• Height Communist
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2020, 06:45:09 PM »

Hi, your legs aren't that wide, barely noticeable.

Looks like your right leg is a bit shorter? But it might be the way you walk and I am wrong.
Looking for an alternative.

Tartar

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2020, 06:46:23 PM »

Nice walk! Can I ask you what’s your weight and which size of Nail do you have (10 - 11,5 - 13)?

Hagane

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2020, 11:18:13 PM »

lmao your wide steping just reminded me of this classic sunny bit
Bilateral tibia lengthening with Dr Gdalevitch 02/2023
starting height approx 167cm ( morning height)
gained  55.55mm
End height approx just shy of 5 foot 8 ( morning height)

Movie

« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2020, 04:37:47 AM »

Dang if you're really struggling to put your feet together like that, I'd be a bit concerned because the IT band isn't a muscle or tendon it's just tissue and it's hard to stretch, I'm not confident Giotikas did the IT band release correctly if at all, I never struggled in putting my feet together or walked with wide likes like that during distraction phase. Hopefully there's a solution to it. Keep pushing, do Self PT mean while, stretching, going up stairs assisted, hip thrusts etc.
Nails removed 10/06/2021

Arcon

« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2020, 07:30:07 AM »

...Note that I haven't done as much stretching as I should because I have been working a full-time job during this period. I also flew to London 1.5 weeks ago and haven't yet found a PT (any recommendations?)

Hi, so you have basically given up physio completely during the last couple of weeks, whilst still lengthening!!!
Have you told your doctor?...Come on dude, don't do this to yourself! You deserve better!

m7liam

« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2020, 09:08:21 AM »

Hi, your legs aren't that wide, barely noticeable.

Looks like your right leg is a bit shorter? But it might be the way you walk and I am wrong.

The wide leg isn't as noticeable now at the feet as I've been working on it but you can definitely see it at the knees (see how when I walk, the knees remain quite far apart). That is the main cause of the strange gait I have as normally I would walk with my legs close to each other.

Think the leg thing is an illusion of how I walk.

m7liam

« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2020, 09:08:51 AM »

Nice walk! Can I ask you what’s your weight and which size of Nail do you have (10 - 11,5 - 13)?

I was 65kg pre-surgery and I am using a 10mm nail

Dang if you're really struggling to put your feet together like that, I'd be a bit concerned because the IT band isn't a muscle or tendon it's just tissue and it's hard to stretch, I'm not confident Giotikas did the IT band release correctly if at all, I never struggled in putting my feet together or walked with wide likes like that during distraction phase. Hopefully there's a solution to it. Keep pushing, do Self PT mean while, stretching, going up stairs assisted, hip thrusts etc.

Yea its strange because another patient also has the same issue at the moment. I noticed in your video your legs were always closed together. I will keep pushing and see how I go.

Hi, so you have basically given up physio completely during the last couple of weeks, whilst still lengthening!!!
Have you told your doctor?...Come on dude, don't do this to yourself! You deserve better!

Absolutely, need to go back on the ropes. I've signed up for PT today and have continued stretching. PT is important!

m7liam

« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2020, 05:49:04 AM »

Hi guys - quick update. I'm about 53 days post surgery (4.5cm).

My wide legs in the last few days has transitioned into some new form of position. I have bent knees when I stand normally or walk and a very slight ballerina foot. I'm not sure if this is duckass as I don't actually have the duckass. As a result, it is actually more tiring for me to stand up than it is to walk. While my feet are still wide, the width has decreased somewhat. Very strange....

One positive thing. I went on a number of tinder dates on the weekend and one girl said to me after I stood up "you're kinda tall, how tall are you?" I've never had that in my life so that's amazing!!!

BelowTheMean

« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2020, 06:29:58 AM »

Hi guys - quick update. I'm about 53 days post surgery (4.5cm).

My wide legs in the last few days has transitioned into some new form of position. I have bent knees when I stand normally or walk and a very slight ballerina foot. I'm not sure if this is duckass as I don't actually have the duckass. As a result, it is actually more tiring for me to stand up than it is to walk. While my feet are still wide, the width has decreased somewhat. Very strange....

One positive thing. I went on a number of tinder dates on the weekend and one girl said to me after I stood up "you're kinda tall, how tall are you?" I've never had that in my life so that's amazing!!!

Nice to get that compliment for the first time heh. Do they comment about your gait at all?
Stryde Femurs - Debiparshad - Nov 2020
Nail Removal - Downey - Apr 2022
Journal (169cm -> 177cm) http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=65617

Current Status: Recovered, moving on

m7liam

« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2020, 09:07:41 AM »

Well I usually pre-empt this by telling them about my sports accident when sitting down and making a joke about my penguin walk. That way by the time I walk they are already accustomed to it and no major comments. Tbh, after leaving the bar with them and half a bottle of wine in me, I walk like a drunk penguin!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up