Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Femurs stryde with Giotikas (July 2020)  (Read 24437 times)

SpeedDialer

Re: Femurs stryde with Giotikas (July 2020)
« Reply #124 on: November 18, 2020, 02:38:49 AM »

"compass (provided in the ERC package) to locate and mark the magnet!  "

Thanks for the post about the magnet. Can you please explain how this works? What was the mistake m7liam made by accident and what did he need to do with the compass to detect his uneven lengthening faster?

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #125 on: November 18, 2020, 02:35:14 PM »

"compass (provided in the ERC package) to locate and mark the magnet!  "

Thanks for the post about the magnet. Can you please explain how this works? What was the mistake m7liam made by accident and what did he need to do with the compass to detect his uneven lengthening faster?

Sure. The rod where the cut is has a strong magnet and that helps with locating where the ERC device should be positioned. You would be in a sitting position where your legs are bent. That's how the ERC guy and Dr. M. told me to mark. You would make sure nothing magnetic (like metal objects, etc.) would be around to disturb the marking.

You would keep the compass (which looks like a small compass with N and S and an arrow) at the outer side of your left thigh and then right, right and move up towards your butt and down towards your knees; to find where exactly the arrow points at your thigh, perpendicularly. I should emphasize that cause of the marks of the surgery you would have a rough idea where it is, so you don't need to browse through butt to knees area all. Thanks to the strong magnet in the rod, as you move the compass the arrow moves and tries to point at it. When the arrow is perpendicular to your thigh, you would draw a line aligned with that arrow on your thigh. So from the top view while you are looking at your thigh you would see a line going from outer side towards the inner side and perpendicular to your thigh.

The first time you'd be presented and given the ERC device in Dr.'s office, an ERC person shows up and explains how to use the ERC device including the marking. My doctor had also showed me that, so it was like a repetition. While showing the marking process, they would draw the line themselves. Since the marker does not easily erase, you would have it for a few days, especially if you don't take shower much during the first few distraction days. However for me, since I used how water as a way of pain management I had to redo the marking almost every one or two hot showers or hot bathtubs.

One more thing: While using the ERC device (there is a line on the ERC device and you'd make sure you'd put the line right on top of the line you drew) I kinda pushed the ERC device down onto my thighs. No one told me that, but I though if the magnet is supposed to make the rod move, I better keep the ERC closer to that rod magnet as much as I can, so I pushed it. I think that worked, cause my distraction and reaching 8 CM was not behind the schedule.

I also wanted to add that since the CLL doctors typically take x-rays of the patients every two to three weeks during the distraction phase, I they would notice any discrepancy between left and right early enough to get it fixed (e.g., by slowing down on the taller leg, so the shorter leg catches up)  or the potential for premature bone consolidation due to fast callus growth (e.g., in my case I had extreme growth and Dr. M. set me for two weeks of fast [1.3mm] daily distractions to avoid premature consolidation).

I hope this helps.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 04:13:38 PM by StrydeNailChallenge »
Starting [Morning] Height: 172.5 cm, Ending: 180.5
SNC - Femurs' Stryde Nail Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=65337.0

m7liam

« Reply #126 on: November 19, 2020, 06:42:11 PM »

Hi all, just wanted to give you an update.

As you might all know, I was in London and had an issue with finding the magnet location. This issue started at 5.5cm (before 5.5cm, I was lengthening as normal at 1mm per day) and was especially an issue on the left leg. I tried to find the magnet by myself by adjusting the location mark, but after 3 times of back and forth (i.e., adjusting the magnet, lengthening for 2 weeks, and then doing an x-ray), I failed to find the magnet. At that point, my left leg was 6.6cm and my right was at 7.6cm.

I then decided to fly to Greece and have Dr Giotikas help me find the magnet again. He does this by doing a special x-ray. This was about 2.5 weeks ago. And then I started lengthening again, thinking that I was now on target. However, what happened was the left leg was not lengthening like I thought it would. I didn't feel any pain at all, and so last week I was quite worried. I discussed with Dr Giotikas after doing an x-ray and confirming the left was not lengthening properly despite me putting the machine at the right magnet spot. He said that it was probably due to a combination of 1) slight bend in the nail, 2) tight muscles, and 3) I had good bone regrowth.

Fortunately for me, the left was still lengthening, just very slowly. Roughly 30% of the amount I was lengthening was being lengthened. So if I lengthened 1mm, the actual lengthening amount was 0.3mm. If it was not lengthening, then I would have had to 1) reduce the right leg to match the left, or 2) go back to surgery to fix it up. Thank the lords the left was still lengthening.

And so in the last week, I had the daily limit on the machine lifted and was for a few days doing 5mm per day on my left leg to quicken it up. I believe I am now finished (and I can tell my legs are now even again) but will confirm via x-ray tomorrow.

So unfortunately that was my complication which effectively meant that what was meant to be a 3 month distraction phrase turned out to be a 4.5 month distraction phase. To give you guys some stats - I actually lengthened 8cm, but if all my lengthenings had actually occurred, I would be at 12.5cms! This translated to ~0.64mm per day rather than 1mm per day, and roughly 0.36mm per day for the last 2.5 cms after 5.5cms. The flipside is that 1) I don't think it was that big of a complication, and 2) I generally had limited pain towards the end because I was lengthening so slow.

So now I am finally finished distraction and I can look forward to the next stage of recovery. I won't post a video because my walking gait is pretty much exactly like the previous video (no improvement and no getting worse) but will post videos as I recover over the next period.

So maybe time for some afterthoughts and wrap-up. And sorry guys my diary has been lacking in terms of personality - I've just been so busy (I'm working full time and studying full time at the same time) so it's taken a while to get to this.

Before the surgery, I was generally pretty successful in all parts of life. I have an amazing career where I am pretty much at the top of my field, I make a ridiculous amount of money for someone my age (I'm 27 and I make more than some CEO's), I dated a lot of girls including a few who were taller than me, I was blessed with copious intelligence, I have way more life and travel experience than those around me, and I had a lot of friends all around the world. It is definitely possible to succeed without being tall as long as you put the drive into it. Your height does not determine your worth. Although I was short, height was something that I thought about occasionally rather than on a continuous basis BECAUSE I made sure to make up for it with strengths in all my other parts of life.

Unlike a few people on this forum, I didn't plan this surgery much. Originally, I was in Korea in June, chilling during COVID and newly single, and I was debating about what to do with my life. I decided "fk it" and was going to do plastic surgery given I was in South Korea but the plastic surgery doctor told me that there wasn't anything he could really do for me as my face looked fine (!!). Then I remembered the leg lengthening forums, read the site for a few days, call Giotikas the next day, asked to book in for the next slot he had (in 2 weeks time) and then within the next week I arrived in Greece.

So why did I do it? It came down to a few things. First, I'm a pretty greedy person by nature and I want to be the best at everything and so I did not want my height holding me down - sad but true. Second, because of COVID, for the first time in my life, I didn't have to be somewhere on a Monday 9am (i.e., I could work remotely) + I had the money + I was single. Third, I was travelling during COVID and my tourist visa in Korea was ending and Greece was one of the few countries that was open with no border restrictions and no quarantine. Everything just magically fell into place.

Looking back on the whole experience, would I do it again? Absolutely. I no longer have to be afraid of a girl turning out to be taller than me, I no longer have to look up to people when talking, and I no longer think about "what if I was taller" anymore. This was one of the hardest things I've done in my life (and I've done a lot) and a crazy 4.5 months with a bunch of pain and tears throughout (especially the first 3 weeks or at any of the PT sessions), but in the end, I really do think it was all worth it. I feel like a new person. I'm moving to a new country this weekend - fingers crossed for the next phrase of the recovery and the next chapter of my life.

Jackieeechan

« Reply #127 on: November 19, 2020, 06:50:51 PM »

What is your current height now? Do you like your proportion? And do you think it's worth it, and any plan on doing the tibia?

BelowTheMean

« Reply #128 on: November 19, 2020, 07:11:28 PM »

Nice update. A bit of a roller coaster there at the end of your distraction phase, but I'm glad it's all done now.
Stryde Femurs - Debiparshad - Nov 2020
Nail Removal - Downey - Apr 2022
Journal (169cm -> 177cm) http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=65617

Current Status: Recovered, moving on

Arcon

« Reply #129 on: November 19, 2020, 07:59:16 PM »

"...and they lived happily ever after!" :)...Congratulations and my very best wishes for -what promises to be- a bright future in your life, well done!

Movie

« Reply #130 on: November 19, 2020, 08:38:44 PM »

That's awesome m7liam! best of wishes on your next chapter and hopefully you recover fully from the surgery promptly, how's the wide legs? did Giotikas say anything about that?
Starting height: 167cm Now 175cm With Strydes Femurs with Dr. Mahboubian 09/01/2019
Nails removed 10/06/2021
My Video Logged Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=64224.0

readyprecisestryde

« Reply #131 on: November 19, 2020, 09:48:42 PM »

Congrats m7liam and wishing you a speedy recovery!!

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #132 on: November 20, 2020, 12:50:51 AM »

Hey m7liam,
I am happy to see that the issue is resolved and you are now in the recovery phase!  Take care brother.
Starting [Morning] Height: 172.5 cm, Ending: 180.5
SNC - Femurs' Stryde Nail Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=65337.0

m7liam

« Reply #133 on: November 21, 2020, 07:56:05 AM »

That's awesome m7liam! best of wishes on your next chapter and hopefully you recover fully from the surgery promptly, how's the wide legs? did Giotikas say anything about that?

Thank you all!

My wide legs have largely recovered. There’s a little bit but when I walk I can put my legs together.

However my body swings still remain the same. Hopefully that can recover soon

Highest

« Reply #134 on: November 21, 2020, 08:05:45 AM »

What career makes you so much cash m7liam, are you in IT?

SpeedDialer

« Reply #135 on: November 29, 2020, 08:27:51 PM »

Hey m7liam!

Thanks for making this diary!

1. If you were flying out from D.C. to Athens for the first consultation (let's say it was on a Friday), when would you leave D.C. to be safe for the flight?

2. When would you leave Athens to go back to D.C. to be safe for the flight?

3. What are the most important questions to ask the doctor/staff in the first consultation solely in terms of finding out knowledge for tangible that the patient needs to do next to proceed with the leg lengthening?

m7liam

« Reply #136 on: December 01, 2020, 02:52:47 PM »

What career makes you so much cash m7liam, are you in IT?

No, I work in private equity. Basically investments.

m7liam

« Reply #137 on: December 01, 2020, 02:55:47 PM »

Hey m7liam!

Thanks for making this diary!

1. If you were flying out from D.C. to Athens for the first consultation (let's say it was on a Friday), when would you leave D.C. to be safe for the flight?

2. When would you leave Athens to go back to D.C. to be safe for the flight?

3. What are the most important questions to ask the doctor/staff in the first consultation solely in terms of finding out knowledge for tangible that the patient needs to do next to proceed with the leg lengthening?

Hi, I would make sure you try to get in the night before the consultation.

In terms of getting back, I would say that one month post-surgery you would be fit enough to fly back (if you wanted). That’s what I did with going back to London. Of course, the flip side is if something happens (like what happened with my slow lengthening) you might have to fly back.

Key thing during consultation is getting yourself comfortable with all the risks. I had the doctor explain the main ones and give me guidance on how I was thinking to feel comfortable. It took a long time!

m7liam

« Reply #138 on: December 01, 2020, 02:59:45 PM »

Hi all, a quick update (roughly 1.5 weeks post distraction).

My wide legs has disappeared. I notice my flexibility had gone up - specifically I can now do a doggy style position in bed whereas before I couldn’t although I still can’t thrust.

I actually got a bit of nerve pain in the last 0.5cms but it has largely resolved now.

My walk is still like a penguin. Hasn’t really improved but will give more feedback later.

One other thing - as mentioned in some of the other posts and you can see it slightly in my xray, my stryde nail has a little bit of a bend. This was mentioned by my doctor and probably a consequence of walking too much and putting too much weight. He said it’s not an issue as long as it doesn’t get much worse but I should be light on walking exercises. As such, I’m not going to do stairs etc until my bones consolidate more (approx 4-5 weeks).

ghkid2019

• Inactive account
« Reply #139 on: December 01, 2020, 03:29:17 PM »

So happy to hear the wide legs are gone finally

Hopefully doctor saids u can at least stand in place indefinitely. I think that'll help consolidation alot if u can't walk as much. But safety over speed if nail truly is bending

Just read ur backstory and I really loved your "fxxk it just go for it" mentality spur of the moment to get LL. Living life on the edge

Congrats u
This account is no longer in use.

User requested self-ban.

Movie

« Reply #140 on: December 01, 2020, 03:36:05 PM »

I'm sorry m7liam, but I can't agree with what your doctor is saying ... Stryde nail was designed to weight bare and a lot of people's nails didn't bend, mine included, and we walked significantly and did PT during distraction. I noticed your nails being a bit bent since early on your journey I don't think you were walking a lot to make the nail bend during that time ... I'd say that's just Doctor incompetence ... I don't know I hope he's right and it won't be an issue and won't affect you and your quality of life, but I'd personally be pissed if I paid that much money to have my legs turn out bent/ crooked.
Starting height: 167cm Now 175cm With Strydes Femurs with Dr. Mahboubian 09/01/2019
Nails removed 10/06/2021
My Video Logged Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=64224.0

Tartar

« Reply #141 on: December 01, 2020, 04:33:29 PM »

I said they were bent since more than a month.
The nail was clearly blocked because it’s way too bent, there’s no a straight space for the internal magnet to slide in.
That’s The only Reason why it’s not distracting.
I’m trying to spread this message for everyone, Stryde is not supposed to allow you to walk unaided during distraction. It’s way too risky for the most.
Movie, you had The 11,5mm nail if I remember well, you have been lucky and have had more freedom compared to most of the <1,70 guys, Who have The 10mm one.
Almost every XR I’ve seen of people walking during distraction shows that the nail is at least slightly bent.
For the m7liam situation, now I think the best possibility is to accept this leg discrepancy or, if he preferes to solve this problem, go under another surgery to fix the problem with an orthopedic nail. I don’t think the bending is going to be worse than now, you already have a good amount of bone, but most of the damage has already be done.

m7liam

« Reply #142 on: December 02, 2020, 06:56:49 PM »

Thanks guys. I agree it is a bit annoying but will check how the healing goes.

If my walking or life is any less than perfect as a result, I’ll look to get it fixed. At the moment, I can’t really see how having slightly bent femur bones will affect my quality of life (remember, it’s not like my legs themselves are bent).

Dr G mentioned 1) the bone builds more on the area where the pressure is, so that will offset some of it and 2) the femurs are normally bent anyway (especially when looking from behind).

But yes, in hindsight probably would have gone with the 11.5mm. I didn’t realise it’d make difference cos I was 65kg pre surgery and probably under 60kg post surgery.

las vegas baby

« Reply #143 on: December 02, 2020, 07:01:10 PM »

its not like you can ask for a nail size of your choice. the doctor decides whats best and thats the best. too small is not good and too big is not good.

Tartar

« Reply #144 on: December 02, 2020, 11:31:21 PM »

The main problem in my opinion is not the bending in itself but the fact there's a discrepancy.
Most of the people in the world have a discrepancy of some mm in the legs, and that probably 10% have a discrepancy close to 1,5cm, maybe it's a shame that now there's this problem because there was the possibility to be almost perfectly symmetrical with this surgery.
The bending degrees in both legs are very similar, so it's not making the legs among them so different, even if it accentuates valgus knee, but it's up for the most to your original articulation (you could be normal, slightly varus, valgus etc before surgery)
Dr G 1) it's true but you seem to have a good bone growth  2) Idon't know what he means with this lol
Btw i hope you don't feel these problems so much and hope best recovery in these months with your new height 8)

m7liam

« Reply #145 on: December 03, 2020, 03:09:51 AM »

Hi Tartar - what do you mean by discrepancy?

I did an x-ray 2 weeks ago (my final checkup) which showed that the gap was ~8cms each (to be precise, we measured ~7.8cms which could have been due to the bend) and he also did a measurement of the whole femur bone (so measuring from the knee to the hip) which showed they were the same length.

So I'm relatively confident the legs are the same length. I probably did lose 0.2cm's from the bend but they are the same length.

Cheers mate! Focused on walking properly now, I just want to go out and dance!!!

Tartar

« Reply #146 on: December 03, 2020, 11:13:41 AM »

I remember you lengthened the right femur much more than the left one and you never solved the “locked distraction”

m7liam

« Reply #147 on: December 03, 2020, 03:16:48 PM »

Oh no it was solved in the end haha. It was lengthening, just very slowly. I wrote a long post above.

SpeedDialer

« Reply #148 on: December 04, 2020, 03:47:39 AM »

Hey m7!

I heard some people complain about the PT in Greece. What are your thoughts on common specific mistakes a patient can make in doing his therapy or choosing the PT?

m7liam

« Reply #149 on: December 04, 2020, 08:05:23 AM »

Hey m7!

I heard some people complain about the PT in Greece. What are your thoughts on common specific mistakes a patient can make in doing his therapy or choosing the PT?

I think they changed the PT to a new location this year. I personally really liked the staff at the PT place (they were super friendly) and also it was a great socialising time because all the other patients were there doing it at the same time. I would honestly say it was the best part of my day given I didn't really like Athens all that much and so most of my time was either at PT or at home.

They also pushed you hard at PT which I thought was good. I tried out a few places in London when I was there but it was rubbish because the guys wouldn't use much force on you.

Arcon

« Reply #150 on: December 04, 2020, 09:16:35 AM »

I think they changed the PT to a new location this year. I personally really liked the staff at the PT place (they were super friendly) and also it was a great socialising time because all the other patients were there doing it at the same time. I would honestly say it was the best part of my day given I didn't really like Athens all that much and so most of my time was either at PT or at home.

They also pushed you hard at PT which I thought was good. I tried out a few places in London when I was there but it was rubbish because the guys wouldn't use much force on you.

So do you regret that you left Athens early?...or what would you have done differently, if you knew then what you know now?

m7liam

« Reply #151 on: December 04, 2020, 01:28:01 PM »

So do you regret that you left Athens early?...or what would you have done differently, if you knew then what you know now?

Nah. I would have died of boredom in Athens.

At least when I was in london I was going out, meeting friends, drinking etc.

Athens I was sitting at home getting depressed. Time passes so slowly

SpeedDialer

« Reply #152 on: December 05, 2020, 05:06:00 AM »

Thanks so you paid for a small van or something to bring you over to the PT place with your crutches/cane/wheelchair each PT session?

BelowTheMean

« Reply #153 on: December 05, 2020, 07:08:55 AM »

Thanks so you paid for a small van or something to bring you over to the PT place with your crutches/cane/wheelchair each PT session?

With Stryde I'd be surprised if you needed that many mobility tools. You'll likely be able to use a walker by your first PT session.
Stryde Femurs - Debiparshad - Nov 2020
Nail Removal - Downey - Apr 2022
Journal (169cm -> 177cm) http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=65617

Current Status: Recovered, moving on

Arcon

« Reply #154 on: December 05, 2020, 07:47:35 AM »

With Stryde I'd be surprised if you needed that many mobility tools. You'll likely be able to use a walker by your first PT session.

Even a walker is a bit much. In Athens they only use crutches; wheelchair for longer distances only.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Up