Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Femurs stryde with Giotikas (July 2020)  (Read 24516 times)

m7liam

Re: Femurs stryde with Giotikas (July 2020)
« Reply #217 on: January 27, 2021, 04:11:00 PM »

M7liam, remember that all you need is that one single other screw on the bottom to break on the bottom for you to end up in the hospital like Unicorn with your rod sticking through your skin and 2 year recovery timeline.. DONT DO anything without weight bearing helper tool like crutch or walker and eventually wheelchair. Just lay in bed don't even stand anymore. Act like your rod is about to break, because frankly, it is about to break.

Do not weight bearing without assistance.

I would consult around and get the screw replacement surgery ASAP. Donghoon is great

Is this right though?? Cos I thought unicorn was because the nail itself broke? Not the bottom screws breaking.

Maybe stupid thinking but if the bottom screw breaks I still have the top screws right? So it doesn’t crash the structure with the bones basically slamming together where the consolidation hasn’t happened. Although obviously not great if bottom part of nail is floating around in the bone cavity.

Of course I am going to take care but just wondering if that’s right.

I have sought opinions from others.

m7liam

« Reply #218 on: January 27, 2021, 04:11:52 PM »

Hi m7liam,

just wanted to ask here: Could it be that the nail bending/broken screw can have come as a result of wrong placement (even if just a few mm) in the bone during surgery?

Don’t think so mate. Think it’s because I started doing stair exercises in the last few weeks naively thinking my bones were ready to support

Shadow91

« Reply #219 on: January 27, 2021, 07:07:44 PM »

You shoulnd't had been walking without helping devices like crutches under the lengthening period. Stuff like this will happen if you are not careful. Just because it's weightbearing, doesnt mean that you can walk unaided as soon as the surgery is done. It might be a bummer but everything else seem to be fine, don't let others stress you out. 3 months is nothing in the grand scheme of things. And for the people to compare this to unicorn, go read unicorns diary before you scare the living f*** out of this guy. If you guys dont know what you are talking about, just dont talk ffs. I would recomend you to fly to Greece as soon as possible to change the broken screws or let Lee change them for you. Chill mate, you just have to be extra careful for 3 months in the worst case. This is a minor complication, just chill and be careful. Dont let this stress you out.

permanentlybanned

« Reply #220 on: January 28, 2021, 05:36:13 AM »

You shoulnd't had been walking without helping devices like crutches under the lengthening period. Stuff like this will happen if you are not careful. Just because it's weightbearing, doesnt mean that you can walk unaided as soon as the surgery is done. It might be a bummer but everything else seem to be fine, don't let others stress you out. 3 months is nothing in the grand scheme of things. And for the people to compare this to unicorn, go read unicorns diary before you scare the living f*** out of this guy. If you guys dont know what you are talking about, just dont talk ffs. I would recomend you to fly to Greece as soon as possible to change the broken screws or let Lee change them for you. Chill mate, you just have to be extra careful for 3 months in the worst case. This is a minor complication, just chill and be careful. Dont let this stress you out.

No one's saying it's comparable to Unicorn at this immediate moment. M7liam is absolutely fine right now if he plays it safe and gets a re-op asap. If that bottom screw breaks, yeah, it'll have the same repercussions as Unicorn and end you in the emergency room, even if it's not a snapped femur like unicorn or just a completely unscrewed loose rod leaving to completely destroy 3 months of non-strong bone callus- the end is still bad.. will end up with a huge recovery timeline.. Yes I was being slightly hyperbolic- but this is not minor in my opinion. Very bad things can easily happen.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 07:04:44 AM by ghkid2021 »
Permanently banned by Medium Drink of Water due to non-maliciously spamming one singular time.

SpeedDialer

« Reply #221 on: January 28, 2021, 08:08:43 AM »

"2) go to Korea to Dr Lee to get screw surgery (since I’m in Asia at the moment not Europe). I’m not adverse to getting it as the thoughts of the other screw breaking is an awful situation"

I'm really curious. What are the pros and cons of Dr. Lee for screw surgery over USA doctors? I wonder b/c maybe USA insurance can help to cover some of it if an American goes to a doctor in the USA?

The only thing I'm aware of is that his facility has an underwater exercise setup

Shadow91

« Reply #222 on: January 28, 2021, 10:52:55 AM »

Unicorn, had a bunch of problems. First of all, the nail that was fitted in her bone was way to big for her. Second, her nail was a runaway nail that continue to extend even though she wasn't doing anything to extend it. Third, that twisting motion that you do to extend that nail, has been shown to have a negative effect on bone growth+ a bunch of other stuff. Her case was basically a sh*t show. When things happen to some members, we have to remember their situation. We cannot bring up the most negative case in all of the cases here to remind the patient to be careful. This forum can get very negative really fast.Be mindful of the patient and their situation please and only bring up relevant information that can help.

m7liam

« Reply #223 on: January 28, 2021, 03:15:11 PM »

Hi guys, an update on my thinking.

In order to get screw surgery, I would need to go to Greece or Korea which would involve 2 weeks quarantine minimum and then probably at least a week to organise. So 3 weeks minimum time and probably another week recovery time.

I had a chat with Giotikas and he thinks that if the second screw were to break, based on his experience what would happen is that the leg would compress by up to 1cm. It is very unlikely that my leg would snap like Unicorns unless blunt trauma affects it. In that scenario, I would need to do screw replacement surgery anyway, and then do distraction so I regain my 8cm again.

Given the relatively low consequences of the second screw breaking and long time to do screw surgery, I think it makes sense to ride it out for the next 2-3 months until my bone consolidates and I can walk again.

Open to thoughts.

permanentlybanned

« Reply #224 on: January 28, 2021, 03:20:04 PM »

Unicorn, had a bunch of problems. First of all, the nail that was fitted in her bone was way to big for her. Second, her nail was a runaway nail that continue to extend even though she wasn't doing anything to extend it. Third, that twisting motion that you do to extend that nail, has been shown to have a negative effect on bone growth+ a bunch of other stuff. Her case was basically a sh*t show. When things happen to some members, we have to remember their situation. We cannot bring up the most negative case in all of the cases here to remind the patient to be careful. This forum can get very negative really fast.Be mindful of the patient and their situation please and only bring up relevant information that can help.

Apologies, and I agree man, I just want to remind m7 to be careful. I will refrain from being overtly pessimistic, the truth is I just truly care about m7 right now and hope he stays safe and healthy.

@m7
Have you tried contacting a local CLL surgeon in your current residence or nearby? Maybe even regular orthopedic limb lengthening surgeons could potentially know how to do the surgery
Permanently banned by Medium Drink of Water due to non-maliciously spamming one singular time.

m7liam

« Reply #225 on: January 28, 2021, 04:04:57 PM »

Apologies, and I agree man, I just want to remind m7 to be careful. I will refrain from being overtly pessimistic, the truth is I just truly care about m7 right now and hope he stays safe and healthy.

@m7
Have you tried contacting a local CLL surgeon in your current residence or nearby? Maybe even regular orthopedic limb lengthening surgeons could potentially know how to do the surgery

Thanks both of you.

Unfortunately I’m in Hong Kong so no well known CLL I have heard of. Or even someone with CLL experience.

Giotikas specifically mentioned that to get the broken nail out, surgeon would need to drill a new hole from the reverse side to fish it out. The new hole would go near the main artery in the leg, so god forbid someone inexperienced accidentally cuts it!!!

Shadow91

« Reply #226 on: January 28, 2021, 07:08:56 PM »

@ghkid2021 GAMESTONK
Np mate ;)

@m7liam

What does Giotikas think is the best option for you? You could ride it out, but how will the bone growth develop? By not being able to put any weight on that leg for 2-3 months, you might delay the bone consolidation. Will those few weeks that you save on not going to Greece actually extend your time frame for healing? Talk to Giotikas again if you have not asked these questions. Btw i dont think that the timeframe for bone consolidation will extend that much, but it doesn't hurt to ask. Keep safe and continue to chill ;)

m7liam

« Reply #227 on: January 29, 2021, 02:03:30 AM »

Giotikas thinks waiting it out is best as he thinks little chance of screw breaking. Even if it breaks, the consequences are not disastrous. He thinks after 4-8 weeks I should be ready to weight bear, 3 months to more full consolidation.

I have asked Dr Lee and he thinks I don’t need to do screw surgery as well.

Tartar

« Reply #228 on: January 29, 2021, 02:23:16 AM »

Giotikas thinks waiting it out is best as he thinks little chance of screw breaking. Even if it breaks, the consequences are not disastrous. He thinks after 4-8 weeks I should be ready to weight bear, 3 months to more full consolidation.

I have asked Dr Lee and he thinks I don’t need to do screw surgery as well.
Exactly what I said
Anyway at the beginning, in october, I remember I was surprised for your huge bone growth
Do you do lateral X-ray too? I’ve seen anterior views only

Shadow91

« Reply #229 on: January 29, 2021, 10:28:41 AM »

Great then! Relax and wait now. You will probably be very bored and annoyed , but that is a small price to pay for what you are getting in return. Read some books, play some video games or if Giotikas approves it, get a power wheel chair to get you around in your city.

permanentlybanned

« Reply #230 on: February 20, 2021, 06:55:13 AM »

Hey m7, how's it going

m7liam

« Reply #231 on: February 21, 2021, 03:42:24 AM »

Hey m7, how's it going

I've been using crutches for the past 3.5 weeks. During the weekdays, I usually don't leave the hotel (I'm living in a hotel) unless for like small groceries or occasionally stretch the legs. On Friday/Saturday nights and sometimes during lunch, I use crutches to go out drinking / dinner / partying. But mostly use taxi's to travel around.

The second screw in my right leg so far as I can tell has not broken (based on my two leg lengths still being equal). I'm due for an x-ray next week so I'll post it once I get it.

Also my walking gait sadly has reversed given I basically haven't walked or stretched for 3.5 weeks.

Hatch

« Reply #232 on: February 22, 2021, 12:10:32 PM »

They screwed and gave him the 10mm nail.

So has 10mm nail thinner screws compared to 11,5mm nail? Are you saying that wouldn't be happen with 11,5mm nail?

Why they didn't give 11,5 nail to m7laim?

permanentlybanned

« Reply #233 on: February 23, 2021, 06:13:53 AM »

I've been using crutches for the past 3.5 weeks. During the weekdays, I usually don't leave the hotel (I'm living in a hotel) unless for like small groceries or occasionally stretch the legs. On Friday/Saturday nights and sometimes during lunch, I use crutches to go out drinking / dinner / partying. But mostly use taxi's to travel around.

The second screw in my right leg so far as I can tell has not broken (based on my two leg lengths still being equal). I'm due for an x-ray next week so I'll post it once I get it.

Also my walking gait sadly has reversed given I basically haven't walked or stretched for 3.5 weeks.

Darn dude. Glad the screw is fine and your gait will be much better once this whole consolidation is done. You'll get there man and it's good your still going out on Fridays that's good mentally. Hopeful for a fast recovery 💪🏻

m7liam

« Reply #234 on: February 24, 2021, 04:38:07 AM »

Did x-rays yesterday. Links below (right side is yesterday, left side is 4 weeks). To be honest, I cannot see any difference at all before and after but Giotikas says there are clear signs of progression. He says I should stay on crutches for another 6 weeks after which I can probably get off.

Crutches is now driving me insane as I cannot walk outside properly.

infinity&beyond

« Reply #235 on: March 26, 2021, 07:21:12 PM »

Dam bro all up this is taking some time. Not the speedy chance recovery after all

m7liam

« Reply #236 on: March 31, 2021, 01:19:35 AM »

Dam bro all up this is taking some time. Not the speedy chance recovery after all

Hi everyone, my bones are consolidated and so I have been given approval to get off crutches. Thank the lord. So back to normal life. X-rays below - not sure what happened in the last 4 weeks but much quicker than the previous 4 weeks.

Serilium

« Reply #237 on: March 31, 2021, 01:59:03 AM »

congratulations! sucked that you had to have that screw break but now its all good

good luck in the rest of consolidation it looks good so far!

BelowTheMean

« Reply #238 on: March 31, 2021, 03:12:18 PM »

Congrats, m7liam! At the level of consolidation in those X-rays are you approved to start jogging or running as well?
Stryde Femurs - Debiparshad - Nov 2020
Nail Removal - Downey - Apr 2022
Journal (169cm -> 177cm) http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=65617

Current Status: Recovered, moving on

m7liam

« Reply #239 on: March 31, 2021, 09:31:16 PM »

Congrats, m7liam! At the level of consolidation in those X-rays are you approved to start jogging or running as well?

Not yet. Doctor said one more month for running.

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #240 on: April 02, 2021, 07:25:05 AM »

Not yet. Doctor said one more month for running.

Congratulations m7liam! you are almost done.

I suggest walking fairly fast for a minimum of 4 miles per day and then increasing that if your body feels right with long walks (and of course after you get your doctor's approval) to speedup the final stages of recovery.
Starting [Morning] Height: 172.5 cm, Ending: 180.5
SNC - Femurs' Stryde Nail Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=65337.0

Zatoichi

• Visitor
« Reply #241 on: June 01, 2021, 01:26:31 PM »

Hi M7liam,

I hope things are going well! Any updates on your progress? Are things back on track?

This was an extremely useful diary and helped me make the commitment to the surgery this year. Thanks for sharing your progress!

m7liam

« Reply #242 on: June 01, 2021, 03:33:38 PM »

Hi M7liam,

I hope things are going well! Any updates on your progress? Are things back on track?

This was an extremely useful diary and helped me make the commitment to the surgery this year. Thanks for sharing your progress!

Hi there, I actually don't go much on this forum but today was bored and opened it up again. See below a video of me (now 10.5 months post-surgery) and ~2 months since getting off crutches.

Physically, I reckon I am 80% of the way back. My normal walking gait is mostly recovered and I believe unnoticeable (although if I sit too long, when I stand up and walk immediately there is a bit of a weird walk for the first few steps). I have started with leg exercises, and I have no issues with climbing stairs etc. I still cannot run, although this is because I have not tried anything other than very, very light jogging for fear of going to fast and breaking something else. But I imagine in the next few months I'll be able to run properly. Putting underwear on is still something that while I can do, is not a smooth action.

From a psychological sense, it's been nothing short of amazing. I never think about height on a day-to-day basis anymore. I never worry about showing up to a date and the girl having to be taller than me. I never think about how I am the shortest out of my friends. While I was confident before, I am probably more confident now. Would I have done it again, knowing the complications that ended up occurring (uneven lengthening and breaking of screw)? Absolutely!!!

Zatoichi

• Visitor
« Reply #243 on: June 02, 2021, 01:13:44 AM »

Woah! That's fantastic progress! Congratulations.

Glad to hear you are so happy with the outcome too. I am also looking forward to simply not having to think about height as an issue going forward. It wastes a lot of bandwidth that could be spent on more valuable things.

infinity&beyond

« Reply #244 on: June 05, 2021, 08:59:07 AM »

Now having gone through it, do you think you could have hidden the whole thing from friends and family? I’m planning to tell them I’m travelling for a year while I do LL back to recovery to the point of unnoticeable.

How much time start to finish (walking normal, however you perceive that) if you do it properly and on-site in Athens - without the complications that you experienced?

How much all up for expenses? Can you give me a breakdown.

m7liam

« Reply #245 on: June 05, 2021, 11:51:21 PM »

Now having gone through it, do you think you could have hidden the whole thing from friends and family? I’m planning to tell them I’m travelling for a year while I do LL back to recovery to the point of unnoticeable.

How much time start to finish (walking normal, however you perceive that) if you do it properly and on-site in Athens - without the complications that you experienced?

How much all up for expenses? Can you give me a breakdown.

I travelled about a year as well before heading back. Definitely not family. I hadn't told my mum and she recognised it in 2 seconds. I told all my close friends beforehand but I think they would have recognised it as well. Acquaintances / not close friends would be easier to pass off - a lot of people I bump into on the street said I lost a lot of weight.

I think without the complications, it would be 3 months for lengthening (at which point you're still walking like a penguin), and then another 6-8 weeks before you start to walk more normal.

Most of my expense was the surgery itself since Athens is pretty cheap + renting out a 24/7 nurse for the first week (additional $1k). Probably costed like $1k per month for food / accommodation. 

infinity&beyond

« Reply #246 on: June 06, 2021, 06:01:50 AM »

What about surgery related expenses?

My main requirement in doing LL is for it to be unnoticeable to even my close family - as such I’m lengthening less than you. How many cm’s do you think I can get away with? 2-3cm?

JimmyJW

• Visitor
« Reply #247 on: July 11, 2021, 08:25:35 AM »

What do you do for work m7?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up