Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Height discrimination stories  (Read 4950 times)

Arrogance

Height discrimination stories
« on: August 17, 2020, 02:39:32 PM »

Sorry if this topic was made already. Let's hear out some stories.
Resignation is my virtue. Like water I ebb and flow. Defeat is simply an addition of time to a sentence I never deserved, but you imposed

daikioni

Re: Height discrimination stories
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2020, 03:10:53 PM »

Dont make this forum r/short

Arrogance

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2020, 03:21:56 PM »

It's not my intention. My intention is for LL veterans and planers to share their stories of how discrimination changed them.
Resignation is my virtue. Like water I ebb and flow. Defeat is simply an addition of time to a sentence I never deserved, but you imposed

carpetendro

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2020, 08:30:49 PM »

Dont make this forum r/short

This is silly. Ignoring height descrimination on this forum is like ignoring sunlight for plants. If it weren't for height descrimination people wouldn't want to be taller.

ghkid2019

• Inactive account
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2020, 08:40:51 PM »

There are plenty of people who have experienced minimal discrimination and do this to simply removing that nagging voice in the back of their head that makes them feel like   and unhappy. Height discrimination exists, but I read just as many diaries where the person did not face significant height discrimination and/or did the surgery because of height discrimination.
This account is no longer in use.

User requested self-ban.

precice strider

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2020, 08:51:22 PM »

Sixth grade performing arts. ghkid, I believe I already told you this story.

I had filled out a list of preferred roles for the skits we would be performing for our families and also in front of the entire school. Then, when the roles were announced, I was assigned a childish role that I had intentionally excluded from my list. The teacher said right after, "You'd make a good (character name)!"
I knew immediately that it was at least partially and if not entirely height-related. Until I started homeschooling in 7th grade, I went to a small private K-8 school and I was always THE shortest kid in my grade, no question about it. (Until I was 12 or 13 I had NEVER met a kid my age shorter than me, if that's saying something). There were no similarities besides me being small and short. I was also very self-aware, which is why my height dysphoria started as soon as 5 years old rather than my teenage years. There was no way I was going to play that part and portray myself as the least mature kid as well.

I tried multiple times to politely bring it up with the teacher.

Attempt 1:
Me: May I have a different part? I didn't put this part on my list.
Teacher: That's what you wanted! You wanted a lot of lines. (Of course what I got isn't what I wanted, otherwise I wouldn't be bringing it up.)
Me: But I don't want to be laughed at in ways I wouldn't want to be laughed at. (aka by acting childish)
Teacher: That's all a part of being an actor.
(I didn't know how to respond)

Attempt 2 ended in her gently saying "Oh, stop fussing!". I knew I couldn't accept that because it was a huge deal to me and the teacher was taking my issue extremely lightly. For attempt 3, I kind of broke down and did something a bit less peaceful, which got me into a lot of trouble, but ultimately got me assigned a different part.

Anyway, this is one of my biggest stories about height discrimination. I have some that are arguably worse, but those are a little less discrimination and more overall just made me feel bad about my height.

Currently I'm happy with everything else about my body except for my height. If I were in a virtual universe like the OASIS in Ready Player One, I could imagine my character being a taller version of myself.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 10:37:30 PM by HobbesTheDog »
Height dysphoria since 2008. (age 5)
Hoping to undergo STRYDE 8cm femurs when I can afford it.
164 cm with a wingspan of 166cm
Goal: 5'7.5 (172+) or taller, but hopefully 5'8 (173)
https://www.instagram.com/precice_strider/

drxboom

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2020, 09:50:21 PM »

I didn't discriminate either, I'll feel better, that's all
170cm goal 177 -178

carpetendro

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2020, 09:55:02 PM »

There are plenty of people who have experienced minimal discrimination and do this to simply removing that nagging voice in the back of their head that makes them feel like   and unhappy. Height discrimination exists, but I read just as many diaries where the person did not face significant height discrimination and/or did the surgery because of height discrimination.

People aren't unhappy with a trait for no reason if it didn't impact them in a negative way. To me they're or the less the same issue. I don't know why we have to pretend like height discrimination isn't a big factor in getting LL. This is clearly obvious to everyone. The problem is the discrimination not short people. If there was no discrimination against short people then people wouldn't dislike being short.

drxboom

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2020, 10:06:28 PM »

This is not entirely true, it does not have to be discriminatory to complain about height. Everyone below the average will feel short, long height being the most important factor today is among the sufficient reasons.
170cm goal 177 -178

carpetendro

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2020, 10:31:21 PM »

This is not entirely true, it does not have to be discriminatory to complain about height. Everyone below the average will feel short, long height being the most important factor today is among the sufficient reasons.

Well nobody said you couldn't complain about height but why don't you want people talking about height discrimination? I'm only doing this because I am sick of the discrimination and bullying. It's the reason why I started hating my height and I bet that's why most short people hate their height too. It also gave me poor self esteem and neurosis. There is a reason why you don't like being shorter than everyone else because being shorter makes you prone to more discrimination thus lowering your quality of life and increasing it's difficulty. That's why they are more or less the same issue. If I just felt shorter than everyone else then I would not get this surgery. Everyone has some sort of issue with their legs even years after post op. It will without a doubt affect your body and you'll never be the same.

ghkid2019

• Inactive account
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2020, 11:08:46 PM »

I have never been discriminated or bullied because of my height. There, I said it. You have a close minded view of other people. You think the world revolves around and works the way you think it works for you. You will never accept if someone else doesn't have the same experience or motives as you. With that mindset, you will never accept other people's realities, and there is no opportunity to grow in your mindset. Thank you for telling me, the reason why I want to do this surgery, because you obviously know more about me than myself.

Don't get me wrong, height discrimination absolutely exists. And it may very well be the reason you or others do this operation. But don't be naive and put a blanket statement out like that, saying everyone does this surgery for one reason. You don't know me, I don't know you.

User requested self-ban.

carpetendro

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2020, 02:30:47 AM »

I have never been discriminated or bullied because of my height. There, I said it. You have a close minded view of other people. You think the world revolves around and works the way you think it works for you. You will never accept if someone else doesn't have the same experience or motives as you. With that mindset, you will never accept other people's realities, and there is no opportunity to grow in your mindset. Thank you for telling me, the reason why I want to do this surgery, because you obviously know more about me than myself.

Don't get me wrong, height discrimination absolutely exists. And it may very well be the reason you or others do this operation. But don't be naive and put a blanket statement out like that, saying everyone does this surgery for one reason. You don't know me, I don't know you.

Why are you so offended? Okay so then tell me why you don't like being short? I didn't say everyone wants LL because of height discrimination. I said it doesn't matter whether people want to do LL because they don't like being short or were bullied for their height because the root cause of it is the same. Shortness is a negative and unwanted trait. Height is on a linear scale so the lower you go the worse treatment you get and the more likely to get descriminated. If you're nearing on average then you're short but not short enough to stand out but hey if you didn't get bullied for your height then count yourself lucky. It's not because you are a stronger person. Descrimination doesn't just have to be bullying, it can be subtle and non-direct like not getting hired or promoted over taller people or people being dismissive to you, showing you less respect, harder to get dates etc. There's a reason why you don't like being short or shorter than everybody and whether it's bullying or not doesn't matter because being short is disadvantageous.

ghkid2019

• Inactive account
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2020, 03:11:52 AM »

Why are you so offended? Okay so then tell me why you don't like being short? I didn't say everyone wants LL because of height discrimination. I said it doesn't matter whether people want to do LL because they don't like being short or were bullied for their height because the root cause of it is the same. Shortness is a negative and unwanted trait. Height is on a linear scale so the lower you go the worse treatment you get and the more likely to get descriminated. If you're nearing on average then you're short but not short enough to stand out but hey if you didn't get bullied for your height then count yourself lucky. It's not because you are a stronger person. Descrimination doesn't just have to be bullying, it can be subtle and non-direct like not getting hired or promoted over taller people or people being dismissive to you, showing you less respect, harder to get dates etc. There's a reason why you don't like being short or shorter than everybody and whether it's bullying or not doesn't matter because being short is disadvantageous.

Did I say I was stronger? Did I say I was offended? I was just being very passionate and vocal, apologies.

I don't like being short because I feel ugly and uncomfortable in my own skin.

Take what I say with a grain of salt, I am young anyways.

1) workplace height discrimination is real, agreed. I'm sure if I entered the corporate world I would face heightism, don't plan to though.

2) conscious/subconsciously showing disrespect or less respect to short people is real, I do it as well, subconsciously and obviously I shouldn't. Agreed

3)dating preferences is not discrimination. It's a preference. Me not wanting to date a black person is not racism/discrimination. Me not wanting to date a down syndrome person is not disability discrimination. It's a preference. Women can date who the heck they want, a short date is just not some women's type. Not discrimination imo.

I do not feel discriminated at all, the worse was waiters underestimating my age because I was short. That's not discrimination, that's called being human. I have the height of someone younger than who I truly am. So it makes logical sense to assume I'm younger than I am. Being picked last for basketball games during school. That's not discrimination, that's logic. Height is important for victory in basketball, so it makes perfect sense, last thing I want is to be pitied for something irrelevant to the task at hand.

I simply want to do this surgery for 80% to be comfortable in my own skin. Not hate myself or feel ugly. Neurosis. Stop fixating on my height 23 hours in a day. And 20% for improved opposite sxx relations.
Height discrimination exists. I'm sure people look down on me and give less respect to me for being short. I know it will be harder for me to get a job or move up in ranks of I'm going into nepotistic careers (luckily I'm planning on doing something else). But these things are mostly trivial to me but they matter, but it definitely would not warrant or justify spending money and crippling myself to fix. I frankly will still be able to sleep well at night if these things happen to me, and I'll still have motivation in life.

Everything changes when you look at yourself in a dreadful way though.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I am young after all, and naive. I want to do this mostly for myself. Mostly.

Apologies for the angry post before as well.

User requested self-ban.

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2020, 07:35:26 AM »

HEIGHTISM IS A MYTH. WAKE THE FUK UP.

F_99

• Height Communist
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2020, 06:20:27 PM »

I guess I can post this here.

6ft+ Brendan Schaub Snob mocking short people who (wanna) do LL on Joe Rogan podcast.

At the beginning he talks about how tough life must be for someone who's 5'2/5'3.

Then they both wonder how crazy people who do LL must be, they have mental health issues + height dysphoria is a mental disorder.

-"Just get a skill, get funny" he says;
Contradicting himself (-"that's a tough life if you are that short", earlier).

Like the 6' guy won't have any skills or won't be funny, because it's super difficult to be funny if you're tall, and anyway, you'll make up for your crappy height with being funny and have a skill or two.

Short people go through this painful, expensive as hell, risky surgery hate their height. Hate it.

It's not only that women prefer tall men (which is generally true), we have a world filled with 'tall arrogant idiots' who have opinions on short people's issues/struggles with their height, criticize them, like in the video, and some even making fun of them.
Oh and by the way making fun of short people is alright, 'healthy' lazy fat arses who can't stop eating and get off their couch is not.

At least the guys in the comment section seem more reasonable and open minded.
Looking for an alternative.

Body Builder

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2020, 10:46:34 PM »

Who cares about what a clown says?
After all he looks like   so he can't give any advice about what a man should do to become attractive.

AllinStryde

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2020, 07:16:21 PM »

I absolutely "love" how guys who are all 6 feet and up tell shorter guys to "just do this" or "just do that."  Yeah...when you're 6 foot and above you can do "this" or "that" and perhaps someone will take note.  And getting this procedure done is certainly not solely to get women...but if you're 5'3" NO chick cares how funny you are or what "skill" you may have.  Plain and simple.  As a matter of fact, most women are offended that short men are even allowed to breathe the same air that they do.

NotSoBigBadBruin

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2020, 08:27:59 PM »

When my wife and I were at a house viewing last year, the owner explained to us that the ceilings of the house were built extra high because of her husband’s height. Then she looked at us and said, “Given YOUR height, though, high ceilings are not really an advantage.”

(I’m 5’11”, and my wife is 5’6”.)

ghkid2019

• Inactive account
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2020, 09:32:34 PM »

When my wife and I were at a house viewing last year, the owner explained to us that the ceilings of the house were built extra high because of her husband’s height. Then she looked at us and said, “Given YOUR height, though, high ceilings are not really an advantage.”

Are u gonna get LL even tho ur married? What u gonna tell ur wife lol

User requested self-ban.

NotSoBigBadBruin

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2020, 09:53:20 PM »

Are u gonna get LL even tho ur married? What u gonna tell ur wife lol

I haven’t really decided yet. And yeah, my wife will definitely try to talk me out of it if I decide to do it. I guess it would make more sense for me (and my family) to simply move to a different part of the world where the average height is lower. As mentioned in another thread, I live in a city where only immigrants, like myself, seem to be < 6’1” (the official average male height is 184 cm). But again, I haven’t made up my mind yet.

ghkid2019

• Inactive account
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2020, 10:26:58 PM »

I haven’t really decided yet. And yeah, my wife will definitely try to talk me out of it if I decide to do it. I guess it would make more sense for me (and my family) to simply move to a different part of the world where the average height is lower. As mentioned in another thread, I live in a city where only immigrants, like myself, seem to be < 6’1” (the official average male height is 184 cm). But again, I haven’t made up my mind yet.

6'1 average holy. You in Germany or Netherlands or something?

User requested self-ban.

NotSoBigBadBruin

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2020, 11:11:35 PM »

6'1 average holy. You in Germany or Netherlands or something?

I don’t feel comfortable disclosing too much personal information, but I can tell you that I live in Northern Europe. Fortunately, I’m still considered handsome and regularly receive compliments about my looks—and, most importantly, I’m married to the woman of my dreams—BUT I still feel super insecure about my height, especially at work. Only two of my male co-workers are shorter than me, and they’re both in their fifties—all others are > 6’2” (unfortunately, I’m not exaggerating). And even though my height is not preventing me from being promoted etc., it simply sucks that all the guys my age are much taller than me.

Just as an additional note, I‘m well aware that many people here on this forum are in a worse position than me and that my height neurosis may seem ridiculous to some of you.

Body Builder

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2020, 12:27:41 AM »

Thats a very important reason to do LL...especially when you are married.
Some people here are really mentally ill and its a pity to do LL, something so hard and only for the brave, because they'll end up way worse.

NotSoBigBadBruin

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2020, 07:22:34 AM »

Thats a very important reason to do LL...especially when you are married.
Some people here are really mentally ill and its a pity to do LL, something so hard and only for the brave, because they'll end up way worse.

I’m two inches below the male average height where I live. You’re average height where you live and are still thinking about doing another surgery. Or am I wrong?

Body Builder

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2020, 07:59:07 AM »

I’m two inches below the male average height where I live. You’re average height where you live and are still thinking about doing another surgery. Or am I wrong?
At 5.11, even if you are 2 inches less than average (although I don't know any country with an average height of 6.1), you still have a respectable height.
5.5 is pretty average for India but it is short worldwide for a man so there are plenty reasons to do LL. So being completely average in your town is not so important to have something so massive like LL when your height is very good for a man generally. Especially when just an "owner" mentioned that high ceilings are not important for you which is something normal but only someone with major height complexes would think as something bad.

So, at 5.11 and with a wife it is really stupid to do LL. You have only to lose. However it is completely up to you to risk for nothing.

« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2020, 09:31:57 AM »

(I’m 5’11”)

Fortunately, I’m still considered handsome and regularly receive compliments about my looks

I don't understand how no one realized that this guy is just humblebragging. The same reason, as a average-dcked guy, I would go to r/smalldckproblems to feel better about meself.

@NotSoBigBadBruin As for you man, just want to let you know that I don't resent you in the slightest. I only resent ethnic males who are taller than me. Other than that, I feel ok. But your revelation above is basically a confirmation that none of the things you say should be taken seriously.

Peace man  :)

F_99

• Height Communist
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2020, 09:57:01 AM »

After all he looks like   so he can't give any advice about what a man should do to become attractive.

I think Brendan looks alright, tbh (not the bald guy; that's Joe).

I don't understand how no one realized that this guy is just humblebragging. The same reason, as a average-dcked guy, I would go to r/smalldckproblems to feel better about meself.

Lmao, I didn't know that community existed.
Looking for an alternative.

NotSoBigBadBruin

« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2020, 11:56:47 AM »

@ Bruce Wayne

Are you fking kidding? You haven’t been to countries such as the Netherlands or Denmark, have you?

IwannaBeTaller

« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2020, 03:16:35 PM »

The average in Denmark is not 185.
It's a long way to find peace of mind, peace of mind
It's a long way to find peace of mind, peace of mind.

NotSoBigBadBruin

« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2020, 07:38:21 PM »

@ Bruce Wayne

Are you fking kidding? You haven’t been to countries such as the Netherlands or Denmark, have you?

According to a study conducted by one of the most reputable universities in the country, the official average male height in the city where I live is 184 cm (which is slightly above the national average). And if it weren’t for the large number of immigrants, it would probably be around 6’1” (the same applies to Denmark, but it would be around 6’0” there).

I don’t expect someone from Turkey to understand my height neurosis. I’ve been to Turkey more than ten times (I love Turkey!) and always felt above average there.

I never felt short back in my home country or in the US (where I went to university) either, and I’m well aware that 5’11” is a good height almost anywhere in the world. But when I moved to Northern Europe, I immediately started feeling insecure about my height. None of my male friends here are < 6 ft, and my wife has quite a few female friends who are > 6 ft (my wife also feels short here, but it’s not a big deal for her).

So if you think I’m here to brag about being 5’11”, please visit the Netherlands and Denmark and see what it’s like to be surrounded by giants all the time.

ghkid2019

• Inactive account
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2020, 07:55:03 PM »

I think everyone has a right to have height neurosis no matter what they're starting height is. If everyone around me is giants and I'm 6'0, I'll probably have height neurosis too.

User requested self-ban.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up