Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Stryde CLL with Dr. Tim O'Carrigan in Sydney, Australia, 2020  (Read 5395 times)

4cms

Re: Stryde CLL with Dr. Tim O'Carrigan in Sydney, Australia, 2020
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2020, 02:18:02 AM »

From what I understand it comes under the mental health side.

4cms

« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2020, 02:21:04 AM »

Hey 4cm,

I DMed you but should probably put it in this thread as well to keep the info public. I have spoken to a couple of people who have had consults with Dr O'Carrigan and including becominghuman the range went from $120,000 to $140,000 without insurance for Stryde on one segment. That the nurse told you $100,000 is concerning that there minimal consistency in their pricing and the secretiveness of LL surgeons in Australia regarding this rubs me the wrong way, how do we know we're not paying way more than the next guy. How can so many other surgeons who perform this surgery give standard pricing but not Australian surgeons?

About the nurse saying if your under 175cm you MAY get approval, this leads me to believe that you personally arrange to get your private health fund to cover you? I understand she is covering all her bases with her "MAY get approval" but if becominghuman was going to be up for $140,000 unless he got medicare coverage and he is 170cm it seems highly unlikely your private health insurance would cover you. The theme that's coming across is that before you pay for your consult and additional tests you are told best case scenario pricing then once you finished paying for your consult and tests they hit you with the actual costs.

I don't even know what you would put your claim in for and how you would go about it as no fund covers cosmetic surgery? If you have much experience with Australian private health insurance you'll know there is no way they will pay $40-50,000 for a 170cm guy for example to get cosmetic limb lengthening.

I will also add that these people were told that he has a max limit of 5cm on both femurs and tibias so if doing femurs you would have to be content with stopping at 5cm.

If anyone else has any experience I'd be curious to hear.

From what she said it would come under the mental health side,  Also you get private health insurance. If they don't approve it then just cancel the insurance and go elsewhere.
It's not guaranteed to be covered but I doubt the nurse would reccommend it if there wasn't a chance.

Highgains

• Visitor
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2020, 02:32:57 AM »

From what she said it would come under the mental health side,  Also you get private health insurance. If they don't approve it then just cancel the insurance and go elsewhere.
It's not guaranteed to be covered but I doubt the nurse would reccommend it if there wasn't a chance.

Becominghuman said for coverage on medicare that you would have "demonstrate that it has amln adverse effect on your life, including reasonably serious mental issues". As he was 170cm I'm imagining you have to be pretty damn short to have a chance at coverage. If medicare won't cover then with private health you'd have no chance unless you are probably 160cm and under.

To confirm when you said "Also you get private health insurance. If they don't approve it then just cancel the insurance and go elsewhere". You mean go for a consult with O'Carrigan then see if private health will cover you if they won't then cancel and go to say Europe or USA? But to do this don't you have to hold private health insurance for minimum of 12 months in Australia for pre-existing conditions?

ghkid2019

• Inactive account
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2020, 02:38:45 AM »

Yea no way you can game insurance like that and switch around. Every thing has systems to prevent abuse like this. Anyways no insurance is gonna cover this for a 170cm man, literally will not ever. This surgery is meant for acondroplasia people not normal people who happen to be short, especially at 170cm

They will cover mental health therapy tho. Much cheaper for them anyways. Fix the significant distress via a therapist or medication, costs em a few grand for the whole thang versus 100k for da surgery
This account is no longer in use.

User requested self-ban.

4cms

« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2020, 03:03:21 AM »

I don't care either way, I'm just relaying what his nurse told me.
I called them out of interest because I enquired with the 2 years ago and they weren't doing it at the time.

Do whatever you like with the info I obtained.

4cms

« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2020, 03:09:25 AM »

Becominghuman said for coverage on medicare that you would have "demonstrate that it has amln adverse effect on your life, including reasonably serious mental issues". As he was 170cm I'm imagining you have to be pretty damn short to have a chance at coverage. If medicare won't cover then with private health you'd have no chance unless you are probably 160cm and under.

To confirm when you said "Also you get private health insurance. If they don't approve it then just cancel the insurance and go elsewhere". You mean go for a consult with O'Carrigan then see if private health will cover you if they won't then cancel and go to say Europe or USA? But to do this don't you have to hold private health insurance for minimum of 12 months in Australia for pre-existing conditions?

Personally me if I knew there was a chance, I would of held the private health insurance and used it's benefits for 12 months in case there was a chance I could get them to cover 40% or so and stay in Australia to do LL.
But that's me.

ghkid2019

• Inactive account
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2020, 03:09:49 AM »

No problem, not saying you care either, just saying that it's a lie what they said about under 175 and shiet and to not get random people's hopes up and Mr. 170cm OP useless diary thot he cud get insurance cover XD

User requested self-ban.

Highgains

• Visitor
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2020, 03:23:26 AM »

Personally me if I knew there was a chance, I would of held the private health insurance and used it's benefits for 12 months in case there was a chance I could get them to cover 40% or so and stay in Australia to do LL.
But that's me.

That's what I thought you meant but wanted to confirm. It's the most logical thing to do to hold it for the 12 months then if it's not covered drop the insurance.

Highgains

• Visitor
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2020, 03:34:29 AM »

No problem, not saying you care either, just saying that it's a lie what they said about under 175 and shiet and to not get random people's hopes up and Mr. 170cm OP useless diary thot he cud get insurance cover XD

Yea the main issue with this surgeon is total lack of clarity on pricing. Just straight up telling ALL future patients before a consult "It will cost X amount for stryde femurs and X amount for stryde tibias with no insurance" would be a start.

Then the nurse telling patients "maybe $50,000 off if under 175cm" comes across as adding another layer of deceitfulness. Once again clarity is required. A specific "people who are under this height are able to get insurance coverage" would be the way to go. I imagine it's not intended but it comes across that way. Even if the price is high at $140,000 that is OK, some people can afford that but at least letting people know ahead of time rather than waste their time to come in for consults and tests before telling them the real cost would be far better for potential patients and surgeon. Last thing you want to think about with this surgery is if your surgeon may be ripping you off while the patient in the next room got a far better price.

Clear pricing that is the same for every patient. Like other CLL surgeons do would go a long way to helping this surgeon.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 03:58:06 AM by growmay »

ghkid2019

• Inactive account
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2020, 04:05:43 AM »

Agree 100%. I think a big part of it is day Carrigwn doesn't wanna do CLL for normal people anyways. No priority, indifferent to it. The surgeon doesn't give a f f f

User requested self-ban.

hype88

« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2020, 03:27:31 AM »

I spoke to his nurse that organises things for Dr Tim, it's about $100,000 but if you have private health insurance you are paying about $50,000.
She reccommend that you go hcf private health insurance.
If you are under 175cm you may get approved for the surgery where they cover about $40-50,000.

I enquired just put of not interest, In case I want to go back and do another 4cms.
And they use precise.

I said to her so if it's about $100,000 would I be paying about 60 -70k and she replied.....Much less.
So I assume you are paying around $50,000 with private health insurance.....But bare in mind this is only for Australians.
So if you are Australian I would get private health insurance now and then attempt to get the approval later on.

Is this for real? I'm Aussie so I would be interested in this!

4cms

« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2020, 05:09:07 PM »

Yea but you 'll need the top cover private health insurance and you 'll need to hold that for 12 months  before claiming for the surgery.
The Top cover private health insurance is expensive it's between $60 to $100 a fortnight so really you'll be paying the private health insurance not knowing for sure that you 'll get approved after 12 months.

Otherwise you will have to prove you developed the mental set backs and your life was severely affected by your height after you got the insurance which won't fly.

In summary you 'll need private health insurance for 12 months prior.
Or you 'll need 100k without health insurance.

Hagane

« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2020, 10:07:57 PM »

reviving this thread

100k aud is about 72k usd which is in the ball park of Dr M and Lee
 good option if your stuck and esp if you live in the area
Bilateral tibia lengthening with Dr Gdalevitch 02/2023
starting height approx 167cm ( morning height)
gained  55.55mm
End height approx just shy of 5 foot 8 ( morning height)

sportiveshort

• Visitor
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2020, 12:26:25 AM »

reviving this thread

That is what I was thinking.
Additionally, no plane tickets, no paying for accomodation somewhere else, you could still WFH without leaving Sydney.
Sadly I don't have that money but that is the figure I am going to save regardless of where I get the surgery.

KSRZ

• Visitor
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2020, 01:29:58 AM »

reviving this thread

Is this for femur + tibia? just tibia? just femur?

Highest

« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2020, 02:27:17 AM »

If one of you guys go in for the consult post the actual cost on here since everyone else on this thread is just guessing LOL.

Hagane

« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2020, 09:02:13 PM »

i belive it is persegment
Bilateral tibia lengthening with Dr Gdalevitch 02/2023
starting height approx 167cm ( morning height)
gained  55.55mm
End height approx just shy of 5 foot 8 ( morning height)

RB

« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2020, 02:00:56 AM »

I've been in for the consult and basically the way they can get insurance to cover it is by getting a letter/confirmation from their psychologist that your height neurosis has negatively affected your life. They have had patients who have held top cover insurance for 12 months and have had insurance cover the majority of the cost as it falls under medically necessary surgery under the psychological exemption.

Without insurance I was quoted around $120k AUD for stryde. I can also confirm that they have a max lengthening limit of 5cm (possibly 6cm) on both the femurs and tibias. Their approach is basically to get insurance to cover so patients can do both segments and do up to 5cm on each.

Any questions feel free to PM me.
Femurs with Dr. Betz - March 2021
5'4" > 5'7.5"
Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=66296.0

Ronman

« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2021, 09:09:53 AM »

Wow.

Didn't know anybody did it in Australia.

Heartening to see if I plan to do it in a couple of years.

If anyone actually gets it done, would be interested in reading about their experiences.

ton9031

• Visitor
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2021, 10:05:44 AM »

Hi RB.

Was that quote for $120k for one or both segments?

Thanks

RB

« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2021, 10:16:54 AM »

Hi RB.

Was that quote for $120k for one or both segments?

Thanks

Hey mate.

The quote was for one segment with stryde.
Femurs with Dr. Betz - March 2021
5'4" > 5'7.5"
Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=66296.0

AboveAverageIsuppose

• Visitor
« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2021, 03:02:48 PM »

I'm sort of curious about what kind of Medical Insurance he recommended, still seems super far fetched.

Serilium

« Reply #53 on: April 10, 2021, 04:15:07 PM »

you will never get insurance to cover LL unless you have achondroplasia. Even if you are a 5'0 male you still will not get LL for free.

AboveAverageIsuppose

• Visitor
« Reply #54 on: April 11, 2021, 05:57:58 AM »

That was my understanding. Which is why it seems super weird that he's said that he has had other patients claim insurance.  That's why I asked I wonder what sort of Health Insurance they are referring to. 

I can only imagine they found a Psychiatrist/Psychologist willing to make a pretty risky recommendation for the surgery. In addition I imagine you'd probably need another comorbid, so maybe it was someone with achondroplasia.

Highest

« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2021, 06:44:42 AM »

you will never get insurance to cover LL unless you have achondroplasia. Even if you are a 5'0 male you still will not get LL for free.

End Thread.

Additionally this entire thread should be removed. OP never even did LL and stopped replying when people asked him basic questions about the consult.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 07:30:06 AM by Highest »

Serilium

« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2021, 10:34:55 AM »

End Thread.

Additionally this entire thread should be removed. OP never even did LL and stopped replying when people asked him basic questions about the consult.

Yeah this is an incredibly misleading thread, probably tricked a bunch of people into getting hope that insurance will cover LL and OP seriously thought he was going to get insurance approval at the height of 5'7 😂😂

This will give false hope to alot of poor patients

account5000

« Reply #57 on: August 01, 2021, 01:43:50 AM »

I was told this by them also but I am 5 foot 4 which is a lot shorter.

Though with that said, even then I am not very confident in it being true.

Highest

« Reply #58 on: August 01, 2021, 05:08:05 AM »

I was told this by them also but I am 5 foot 4 which is a lot shorter.

Though with that said, even then I am not very confident in it being true.

The user RB was exactly your height 5'4 and went with Dr Betz after consulting with O'carrigan. No one except legitimate dwarfs are getting covered by Medicare/insurance for cosmetic limb lengthening. It would be a national medical scandal if taxpayers discovered they were paying for short men to get CLL. It is incredibly unethical that the doctor and his team are saying this.

account5000

« Reply #59 on: August 01, 2021, 05:33:47 AM »

That is upsetting that they are doing that if this is the case.

I will let you know how I go!

account5000

« Reply #60 on: October 01, 2021, 04:38:27 AM »

I will eat my words. They mislead me. I would go as far to call it a massive scam.

caspade

• Visitor
« Reply #61 on: October 05, 2021, 12:03:03 PM »

Hi what do you mean it's a scam? Could you clarify? I was quoted a fixed cost for the lengthening and they said they'd work out Medicare.
What did you find was dodgy about the process? Just want to make sure I'm not getting my hopes up high for nothing...
Thanks!
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up