Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nail Removal  (Read 1659 times)

InFullStryde

Nail Removal
« on: August 26, 2020, 07:15:46 PM »

Greetings CLL'ers and CLL'er enthusiasts,

I am posting today because I am going to schedule my Nail Removal procedure and I wanted to ask CLL veterans who have undergone this procedure on how it went?   Can you briefly describe how long it took you to walk well again, pain after surgery? How long did the pain last? Overall, I want to gather some details on what I can expect post Nail Removal surgery.

Thank you,
"Make the BEST of what you have and Make what you have, the BEST"
InFullSTRYDE with Dr. Mahboubian - Jan 2019
Start Height/End Height: 5'1.25"/5'4.25"
Status: Gained 3" and Recovered Successfully! | Stryde Nails Removed: November 2020
Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=9671

Hagane

Re: Nail Removal
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2020, 04:49:50 PM »

best of luck IFS!
Bilateral tibia lengthening with Dr Gdalevitch 02/2023
starting height approx 167cm ( morning height)
gained  55.55mm
End height approx just shy of 5 foot 8 ( morning height)

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2020, 05:02:51 PM »

It's a very easy surgery.  Not much pain, I was walking around normally but slowly within a couple of days.

BetzLandLiberator

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2020, 05:28:29 PM »

Greetings CLL'ers and CLL'er enthusiasts,

I am posting today because I am going to schedule my Nail Removal procedure and I wanted to ask CLL veterans who have undergone this procedure on how it went?   Can you briefly describe how long it took you to walk well again, pain after surgery? How long did the pain last? Overall, I want to gather some details on what I can expect post Nail Removal surgery.

Thank you,

I was walking without crutches less than 24 hours later.
The pain in the hip incision lasted for some weeks (specially if walking a lot) but it healed pretty fast.
It's a really easy operation in comparison to the original one.
Your body will heal REALLY fast without the nails inside.

InFullStryde

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2020, 09:08:57 PM »

Thank you for the good words.   I have scheduled my nail removal for October 15th.  I am looking forward to the safe conclusion of this journey.  So far; all has been successful.   I will be soon updating my primary journey thread with detailed updates on the functional, psychological and physical impacts of CLL.  Thanks again you guys.

All the best,

IFS
Status: Gained 3" and Recovered Successfully! | Stryde Nails Removed: November 2020

TwinMusicom

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2020, 01:54:29 AM »

It's a very easy surgery.  Not much pain, I was walking around normally but slowly within a couple of days.

Thanks. If hypothetically an American got LL in Europe and then a few years later wanted the nail removed, then what would be some economical/safe options to do this?

Is any orthopedic in surgeon good enough for this? Or better to go to Europe to save money on this generally?

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2020, 03:11:01 AM »

Thanks. If hypothetically an American got LL in Europe and then a few years later wanted the nail removed, then what would be some economical/safe options to do this?

Is any orthopedic in surgeon good enough for this? Or better to go to Europe to save money on this generally?

Yeah any orthopedic surgeon can take out the nail after a successful consolidation.  Maybe non-orthopedic surgeons too.

Movie

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2020, 05:31:26 AM »

Thank you for the good words.   I have scheduled my nail removal for October 15th.  I am looking forward to the safe conclusion of this journey.  So far; all has been successful.   I will be soon updating my primary journey thread with detailed updates on the functional, psychological and physical impacts of CLL.  Thanks again you guys.

All the best,

IFS

Wow! congrats IFS soon it'll be all over with looking forward to your updates. I want to get mine removed already too!
Starting height: 167cm Now 175cm With Strydes Femurs with Dr. Mahboubian 09/01/2019
Nails removed 10/06/2021
My Video Logged Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=64224.0

InFullStryde

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2020, 09:49:56 PM »

Thank you @Movie.  I cannot wait until I'm all done with this process.

Ghostfish

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2020, 05:40:33 AM »

Hey IFS

Wow it is already time for you to remove nails!!  That is really awesome!!

Although I haven't removed my nails, I have met some patients who removed nails in Paley institute.
They were discharged next day after surgery and they walked with no problem.  Of course, they had a little bit of pain due to the surgery but nothing serious.  They stayed a week in the hotel, met a doctor and went back home. It seems a quite easy process.  Just do not do any serious exercise or activities for 2 months.

I am very happy for you!!

Good luck!

BetzLandLiberator

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2020, 02:19:05 PM »

Technically, most orthopedic surgeons can take it out. Most people in this forum would rather get a cheaper doctor to take them out. That wasn't my case. I went back to Germany to take out the nails with my original surgeon (Betz). I think is safer this way.

But he didn't charge me an absurd high price for nail removal like Paley does, so maybe I'd think differently if I had done with Paley.

farfan21

• Visitor
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2020, 04:03:02 AM »

Hi IFS, how long after done lengthening are you allowed to take the nails off? 1 year?

Hagane

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2020, 07:31:06 PM »

Hi IFS, how long after done lengthening are you allowed to take the nails off? 1 year?
Typically its one year however it depends on your bone healing, if your doc isnt comfortble with your bone growth they may delay, on the other hand ifyour xrays show improved healing it may be sooner

oh dang this is my 200th post!
Bilateral tibia lengthening with Dr Gdalevitch 02/2023
starting height approx 167cm ( morning height)
gained  55.55mm
End height approx just shy of 5 foot 8 ( morning height)

brondo

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2020, 09:15:15 PM »

I can't wait to see you update us on your status post nail removal IFS. For some reason there aren't that many diaries on the nail removal and the rehabilitation process afterwards, even though I understand it is a minor surgery compared to the initial one.

-brondo

bgreeneee

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2020, 06:53:25 PM »

Thanks for the post. I had the Stryde rod removal surgery yesterday, was wondering what to expect. Incisions are pretty sore day 2 but I expect once the swelling goes down it will be a lot better. Im not on any heavy pain meds, just some Tylenol today. I’m using a cane just for stability. I’m an LLD patient so easier than both legs.

Awakening

• Visitor
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2020, 07:28:09 PM »

any change in legs like the gait? is on leg more twisting out than the other?

Movie

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2020, 08:53:42 PM »

IFS I've been checking everyday since the 15th to hear from you! it's been 5 days and nothing ): What's the update?
Starting height: 167cm Now 175cm With Strydes Femurs with Dr. Mahboubian 09/01/2019
Nails removed 10/06/2021
My Video Logged Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=64224.0

InFullStryde

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2020, 02:32:56 AM »

Hi Team,

As update - I will be having my stryde nail removal surgery on Thursday (11/19) with Dr. Mahboubian.  I will provide the updates in my actual diary.  I Soooooooooooooooo want to put CLL behind me and I cannot wait until this is over.  Thank you again for your support and kind words.

All the best,

IFS

Highest

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2020, 03:57:58 AM »

Are you still going to do tibia lengthening?

InFullStryde

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2020, 04:26:46 AM »

Are you still going to do tibia lengthening?

Hi Highest,

No plans to do tibias.  I'm more than satisfied with my femur gains.  I'll never say never, though. 

All the best,

IFS
Pages: [1]   Go Up