Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Reduced extension of the leg  (Read 313 times)

Tartar

Reduced extension of the leg
« on: August 31, 2020, 10:45:51 AM »

Is common to have a reduced extension of the leg during femur lengthening? Expecially standing. I have my knees a bit bent forward, I would fix this problem

Bingy

• Visitor
Re: Reduced extension of the leg
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2020, 11:24:49 AM »

Is common to have a reduced extension of the leg during femur lengthening? Expecially standing. I have my knees a bit bent forward, I would fix this problem

It's been 3 weeks since I had my femurs done (LON) and I also have reduced knee extension (10°) and flexion (90°). From the studies I've read, most people don't begin to properly recover their knee ROM until after the distraction phase is complete, but I'd be interested to hear whether others here have had different experiences.

Tartar

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2020, 11:43:13 AM »

I’m at 6-7 weeks after surgery and this problem has just appeared. I have internals stryde. My extension can go to 0 just in the bed, standing is way too hard to keep them so. In the flexion I have 100 on the left and something like 110 on the right.
Our ROM is not very different. Are you doing a lot of PT? I’m doing it even if not too much but I think that it’s a bit overrated, force the muscles too much seems to be more dangerous than doing a light PT and let them rest

Bingy

• Visitor
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2020, 04:13:04 PM »

I’m at 6-7 weeks after surgery and this problem has just appeared. I have internals stryde. My extension can go to 0 just in the bed, standing is way too hard to keep them so. In the flexion I have 100 on the left and something like 110 on the right.
Our ROM is not very different. Are you doing a lot of PT? I’m doing it even if not too much but I think that it’s a bit overrated, force the muscles too much seems to be more dangerous than doing a light PT and let them rest

I do PT everyday, although I'm trying to relax a bit more because I think I've been causing more strain by overdoing it. It's a balancing act when you do PT with external fixators. On the one end, you don't want to ignore it and end up having to cut the procedure short because of muscle/nerve complications. But on the other end, you don't want to go too hard and wind up straining something or irritating the pinsites (which are super painful, by the way).

I think if you're doing it without external fixators then you can stand to push the PT a bit harder. Maybe your knee extension is getting worse because you've been skimping on the PT?

Tartar

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2020, 04:36:24 PM »

I’m walking just with the walker because my doctor said me so to avoid complications and nail folding. My PT is light because, as you told, often I’ve noticed that it’s better to be conservative because stretch too much can be worse for muscles and tendons. Anyway this complications has just appeared, I’m almost at 5cm.
For the rest I have had almost no pain except for a couple of days so I think I’m doing quite well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up