Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NEW! Bi lateral femurs w/ Dr Mahboubian  (Read 2190 times)

DaddyLongerLegs

• Visitor
NEW! Bi lateral femurs w/ Dr Mahboubian
« on: September 19, 2020, 03:32:03 AM »

Hey everyone! So I finally went thru with the procedure with Dr M. Surgery date was 8/28/2020 and I'm officially 3 weeks post op today. I wanted to start my diary here sooner but tbh I was focused on getting rest and pain management these past few weeks.

I have read some amazing journeys on this forum and hopefully mines will give the next person that push to get this done. So far I am over 15mm distracted which is more than half an inch of growth :D

Day 1: Surgery date I arrive to the hospital at 5:30 AM. I register and get sent up to my room to change clothes. The doctors assistant comes in to shave my legs and soon after the anesthesiologist comes to ask me a few standard questions. At this point it’s probably right around 7 o’clock and Dr. M comes in to let me know we are soon about to start the procedure. Minutes later I am being rolled out on my bed to the operating room. The next thing I know I wake up around 1pm with the nurses saying that my procedure went well.

Because of anesthesia & meds there was not much pain I felt at that point. Hours later a physical therapist comes into my room and ask me if I wanted to try to walk. I replied “yes let’s give it a try”. I didn’t think I would truly be able to walk on the same day as the procedure but with some help from the walker and some motivation from the therapist I was very capable. 

I stayed in bed the rest of the evening.

Day 2: Dr M spoke with me and told me everything went well. He also mentioned that I have tough bones (harder to cut thru for the osteotomy). Nevertheless all is good.

Rested most of the day and did physical therapy twice. Physical therapy consisted mostly walking from bed to bath, bed to room door, room door to near by exit sign.

Again, I’m still shocked af i could walked this much with 1 day old broken legs.

Day 3: Rest and PT. Had the option to discharge but I didn’t feel 100% confident in my condition

Day 4-6: Discharge from the hospital early and back at home! Pain levels are high but that’s expected. Sitting on the toilet is not comfortable. Right now there is only one thing I wanna do — Rest, rest, rest!

Day 7: picked the ERC from Dr M’s office. The nurse showed me how to use it. It’s literally so easy it requires no thought. Turn it on, place it on your left leg at the marker line, then press the green start button. 60 seconds later it’s time to switch to your right leg and do the same thing.

For the next 5 days I had to used the ERC 4 times daily. After that it’s 3 times daily.

Yes, distraction is uncomfortable EVERY time I use the ERC. A lot of stretching is a MUST!

I have a Physical therapist that Dr. M recommended who comes to my house 3 to 4 times a week for PT sessions. The therapist really helps you push your limits without overdoing it.

Day 12: Walking unassisted for the first time because my therapist motivated me to do so. She said “the mind will trick you to think you can’t but trust your body & take a step”.... I let go of the fear and sure enough I could walk without a walker, crutches, or cane! Mind blown 🤯

Next few days are similar — Rest, PT, walk, rest, PT, walk.. I also added 15 mins of stationary Bike to my daily routine. Pain levels are still pretty high so meds are certainly needed (especially after PT & lengthening).

Day 21: today makes 3 weeks post op. I had a check up appointment with Dr M. The new x rays look good. My flexibility and range of motion is excellent. Dr M said I’m walking really good already. I have another follow up appointment in 3 weeks. Right now I’m 15.89mm distracted.

BTW 3 days ago I started feeling some discomfort on the left leg near the osteotomy site. Dr M mentioned it could be the IT band release. It's getting slightly better each day but i wanted to share with you all. Has anyone here experience this?

Starting height: 5'8"
Current height (today): 5'8.5"
End height goal: 5'11"

DaddyLongerLegs

• Visitor

brondo

Re: NEW! Bi lateral femurs w/ Dr Mahboubian
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2020, 03:49:12 AM »

Congrats on starting your journey! Looking forward to the updates!

brondo

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2020, 03:51:56 AM »

Also, do you mind telling me how much the physical therapist costs for them to come over to your home?

DaddyLongerLegs

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2020, 05:42:23 AM »

Thanks Brondo.. I hired the PT that Dr M recommended. The cost to come over my house is $80 per session. As of now I just pay upfront weekly so it's 3 sessions for $240 (or 4 sessions for $320). And it's worth every penny!

Hagane

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2020, 05:53:00 AM »

looking forward to following your diary DLL!
Bilateral tibia lengthening with Dr Gdalevitch 02/2023
starting height approx 167cm ( morning height)
gained  55.55mm
End height approx just shy of 5 foot 8 ( morning height)

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2020, 09:41:10 AM »

Here are my 3 week X-Rays

Dear DDL,
 I am very happy for you and your amazing recovery, and x rays looking good! Keep up the great work :)
SNC
Starting [Morning] Height: 172.5 cm, Ending: 180.5
SNC - Femurs' Stryde Nail Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=65337.0

Movie

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2020, 01:17:58 PM »

so far so good. keep it up
Starting height: 167cm Now 175cm With Strydes Femurs with Dr. Mahboubian 09/01/2019
Nails removed 10/06/2021
My Video Logged Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=64224.0

DaddyLongerLegs

• Visitor
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2020, 05:57:48 PM »

Thank you. I'll post a few videos soon

DaddyLongerLegs

• Visitor
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2020, 06:07:23 PM »

so far so good. keep it up

Bro tbh your videos made me do this!! I already wanted to get this done for years now but once i watched your journey I immediately scheduled my procedure. NO LIE! You were playing soccer after 5 months  :o You're the man bro! LL ICON

I'm penguin walking, my muscles are hella tight, and I get 2-4 hours a sleep daily (at best). Any advice to make life a little easier at this stage?

DaddyLongerLegs

• Visitor
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2020, 06:24:54 PM »

Dear DDL,
 I am very happy for you and your amazing recovery, and x rays looking good! Keep up the great work :)
SNC

Much appreciated. I've been following your journey as well. Seems like you have less than a month of distraction left, yea? I'm excited for you bro

Movie

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2020, 07:29:32 PM »

Bro tbh your videos made me do this!! I already wanted to get this done for years now but once i watched your journey I immediately scheduled my procedure. NO LIE! You were playing soccer after 5 months  :o You're the man bro! LL ICON

I'm penguin walking, my muscles are hella tight, and I get 2-4 hours a sleep daily (at best). Any advice to make life a little easier at this stage?

Thanks bro appreciate it! My advice is just mentally prepare yourself for several months of pain and accept it, no pain no gain, keep pushing.
Starting height: 167cm Now 175cm With Strydes Femurs with Dr. Mahboubian 09/01/2019
Nails removed 10/06/2021
My Video Logged Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=64224.0

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2020, 09:29:58 PM »

Much appreciated. I've been following your journey as well. Seems like you have less than a month of distraction left, yea? I'm excited for you bro

Brother DLL, I hope you found some of the tips in my diary helpful in managing the pain. My diary has them all, but here I am going to try to list  as many as I remember (Gabapentin has some side effects, one of which is memory loss, so I am not sure if I can remember them now :P  ) : 

1) Whenever you feel pain, try to do stretching no matter middle or night, etc.
The best I found is to straighten your legs while sitting on bed and then bend your body towards your knees. The next one that helps me is to lie down on your bed, or sit up a bit with your forearms on your side on the bed, while straightening your leg, then lift one leg at a time, doing two practices: one keeping both legs straight and pulling one as high as possible. The other practice, is to try to bring one close to your chest, even if both legs start to bend.  Another helpful one for me is to have floppies on (which adds about 1.5cm to my height), stand straight on the floor and then bend to try to touch the floor.  Recently instead of keep pushing my hands down to touch the floor in one shot, I have to frequently push and let go many times and each time
getting closer to the ground and usually in about 30 seconds to a minutes, my fingers finally touch the floor.  Ideally every time you have pain you would want to repeat your PT sessions. However some of our folks here suggest that it is a good practice to avoid those exercises that create nerve pain.  I do not know which exercise would give me nerve pain, therefore every time I experience pain and also before and after every distraction session, I try to repeat my PT routine which is about 10 exercises.

2) Use BIOFREEZE Cold Therapy Pain Relief [pack of 3] (Costco, Sam's Club, etc.) and roll it on the painful area with a bit of pressure to not only apply the gel, but also massage your legs with the roller.    This is the best ointment I have been using.

I also got  Capzasin Arthritis Pain Relief, Quick Relief Gel 1.5 oz (42.5 g) [pack of 2] from Amazon.  This has one problem. After the few hours at some point it would make your leg fired up! You'd feel that your legs are on fire :D   If you try to wash it off your legs, your legs would burn real bad! you better wash them with fairly cold water (and body gel/soap).

I have tried some ointments from European and Asian countries, and since you'd not be able to find them here, I don't mention them. However as I said BIOFREEZE is the best of them, and I would say just having that as an ointment for local pain relief would be sufficient.

3) If you cannot sleep, watch a movie on TV or your computer, while you are set in a nice sleeping position. There is a high chance you'd go to sleep quickly. I typically watch Friends on my computer. I typically fall asleep as early as a couple minutes, and as late as an episode or two later.

4) I put on skiing under pants to get warmed up and also tight jeans and they both somehow help me manage pain! I know it sounds crazy but I think skiing under pants warm up your legs so they act similarly to local pain relief ointments. Tight jeans, most likely put pressure on your legs, and help you forget the pain I guess.

5) Eating/drinking may work like a distraction from pain. I notice that most of the times while eating or drinking and a while after, my pain goes away.

6) Try all sleeping positions including face down, side, face up with a pillow or two under your knee or without any pillows, with or with blankets, etc.   frequently. Body preference may change, so hopefully you would find the optimum sleeping position every night.

I hope these help,
SNC
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 09:59:07 PM by StrydeNailChallenge »
SNC - Femurs' Stryde Nail Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=65337.0

DaddyLongerLegs

• Visitor
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2020, 06:36:39 PM »

Brother DLL, I hope you found some of the tips in my diary helpful in managing the pain. My diary has them all, but here I am going to try to list  as many as I remember (Gabapentin has some side effects, one of which is memory loss, so I am not sure if I can remember them now :P  ) : 

1) Whenever you feel pain, try to do stretching no matter middle or night, etc.
The best I found is to straighten your legs while sitting on bed and then bend your body towards your knees. The next one that helps me is to lie down on your bed, or sit up a bit with your forearms on your side on the bed, while straightening your leg, then lift one leg at a time, doing two practices: one keeping both legs straight and pulling one as high as possible. The other practice, is to try to bring one close to your chest, even if both legs start to bend.  Another helpful one for me is to have floppies on (which adds about 1.5cm to my height), stand straight on the floor and then bend to try to touch the floor.  Recently instead of keep pushing my hands down to touch the floor in one shot, I have to frequently push and let go many times and each time
getting closer to the ground and usually in about 30 seconds to a minutes, my fingers finally touch the floor.  Ideally every time you have pain you would want to repeat your PT sessions. However some of our folks here suggest that it is a good practice to avoid those exercises that create nerve pain.  I do not know which exercise would give me nerve pain, therefore every time I experience pain and also before and after every distraction session, I try to repeat my PT routine which is about 10 exercises.

2) Use BIOFREEZE Cold Therapy Pain Relief [pack of 3] (Costco, Sam's Club, etc.) and roll it on the painful area with a bit of pressure to not only apply the gel, but also massage your legs with the roller.    This is the best ointment I have been using.

I also got  Capzasin Arthritis Pain Relief, Quick Relief Gel 1.5 oz (42.5 g) [pack of 2] from Amazon.  This has one problem. After the few hours at some point it would make your leg fired up! You'd feel that your legs are on fire :D   If you try to wash it off your legs, your legs would burn real bad! you better wash them with fairly cold water (and body gel/soap).

I have tried some ointments from European and Asian countries, and since you'd not be able to find them here, I don't mention them. However as I said BIOFREEZE is the best of them, and I would say just having that as an ointment for local pain relief would be sufficient.

3) If you cannot sleep, watch a movie on TV or your computer, while you are set in a nice sleeping position. There is a high chance you'd go to sleep quickly. I typically watch Friends on my computer. I typically fall asleep as early as a couple minutes, and as late as an episode or two later.

4) I put on skiing under pants to get warmed up and also tight jeans and they both somehow help me manage pain! I know it sounds crazy but I think skiing under pants warm up your legs so they act similarly to local pain relief ointments. Tight jeans, most likely put pressure on your legs, and help you forget the pain I guess.

5) Eating/drinking may work like a distraction from pain. I notice that most of the times while eating or drinking and a while after, my pain goes away.

6) Try all sleeping positions including face down, side, face up with a pillow or two under your knee or without any pillows, with or with blankets, etc.   frequently. Body preference may change, so hopefully you would find the optimum sleeping position every night.

I hope these help,
SNC

Thanks a lot for the info brother! This is super helpful. I ordered the Biofreeze waiting on that to arrive. I finally was able to sleep on my side last night for the first time. I got more sleep than any other night since the surgery.

The tight jeans sounds interested. I may buy some tight workout pants to see if this works for pain too. I ride the stationary bike for 15 minutes each day. This helps with overall movement and range of motion

DaddyLongerLegs

• Visitor
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2020, 09:56:25 PM »

Here is a 2 week post op video of me walking btw...

Update - DAY 24: PAIN PAIN PAIN!!!! I am having trouble with pain. Left leg is worse than the right leg. Both hurt. For some reason my pain levels never drop lower than 6 or 7 (and that's with meds). Once medication starts to wear off I'm back at severe 9/10 pain levels. It's VERY uncomfortable. I can barely think.

At 6:00am I used the ERC which required a Percocet to manage pain.

10:00am my PT arrives at my house. PT session for 30 minutes and another Percocet is needed.

2:00pm I used the ERC again. The pain from lengthening requires another Percocet (but I only took half this time) Barely helps but I'm trying to limit the meds when I can (which seems like a joke when I have 2 broken legs that I must walk on, lengthen, AND work out daily)  :(

I'm really curious to hear more stories on how you guys dealt with pain, what medications work best, etc etc??

I saw this video with Cyborg4Life & Alfonso who had surgery with Dr D in Las Vegas. He stated that Dr D put him on cycle of meds such as dilaudid, toradol, & morphine that had him feeling virtually no pain. Here's the video link (the pain convo starts around 10:50):

Did anyone else manage pain this way? Thanks in advance for the input everyone. Much appreciated

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2020, 05:26:28 AM »

Thanks a lot for the info brother! This is super helpful. I ordered the Biofreeze waiting on that to arrive. I finally was able to sleep on my side last night for the first time. I got more sleep than any other night since the surgery.

The tight jeans sounds interested. I may buy some tight workout pants to see if this works for pain too. I ride the stationary bike for 15 minutes each day. This helps with overall movement and range of motion

DLL Bro,
I am glad some of my tips may help.   Just a warning on tight pants. Please don't wear them for long durations, if they are too tight. I am just afraid they may block the blood flow.

I remember long ago, I had knee pain and someone suggested knee braces or stabilizers. I tried them. They feel so good at start, but I later heard that wearing them for a long time, may make the knees lazy. I therefore stopped.  I am very careful on tight pants or underpants as well.  I wear them for short and as soon as pain subsides a bit I take them off!

The stationary bike is a great idea. I tried it a few times a couple weeks after surgery and I got a lot of knee pain. I am not sure if the stationary bike or some stretches were the reason, but I stopped biking and certain stretches or my knee pain disappeared.

Today I as at a PT and they also suggested stationary bike with low resistance. I believe I am going to start again biking, hoping I would not get knee pain this time.

BeYourBest

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2020, 10:02:09 PM »

Hey man, thanks for the diary. I hope you you’re doing better with the pain

Did you do any stretching pre op or prepare your body in any other way?

All the best

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2020, 02:32:15 PM »

All the best

Good point BeYourBest,

I forgot to list that pre and post distraction stretching sessions both have helped me cope with the pain.

DaddyLongerLegs

• Visitor
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2020, 04:23:00 PM »

All the best

I literally stretch like all day. BTW i'm 35, slim athletic build, and very flexible. Prior to surgery I could not only touch my toes but also place my palms on the ground (without bending knees).

As of today I am 21.50mm distracted

Hagane

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2020, 05:12:34 PM »

I literally stretch like all day. BTW i'm 35, slim athletic build, and very flexible. Prior to surgery I could not only touch my toes but also place my palms on the ground (without bending knees).

As of today I am 21.50mm distracted

CONGRATS DLL!
are you going for the full 8?
if so 25% of the way there!
Bilateral tibia lengthening with Dr Gdalevitch 02/2023
starting height approx 167cm ( morning height)
gained  55.55mm
End height approx just shy of 5 foot 8 ( morning height)

brondo

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2020, 02:42:38 AM »

Hey DLL,

Did your pain levels ever go down? Have you been using the medication as instructed or are you trying not to take them as much? Hope all is well with you!

-brondo

DaddyLongerLegs

• Visitor
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2020, 08:01:05 PM »

CONGRATS DLL!
are you going for the full 8?
if so 25% of the way there!

Yes I am going for the full 8. I'm excited

DaddyLongerLegs

• Visitor
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2020, 08:03:01 PM »

Hey DLL,

Did your pain levels ever go down? Have you been using the medication as instructed or are you trying not to take them as much? Hope all is well with you!

-brondo

The pain is pretty consistent tbh but I understand this is part of the process. I'm using the meds as instructed. Once the distraction phase is complete things should get way easier 

Stryde2021

« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2020, 12:25:45 AM »

Updates? 

DaddyLongerLegs

• Visitor
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2020, 08:21:39 PM »

Okay so I’m all done lengthening with the ERC. Dr M recommended I stop distracting at 75mm due to hamstring tightness. My knees are bent and I have “duck a$$”  :'( This part is not fun. PT gave me drills to do. I wondering if anyone else has dealt with this complication of bent knees??? Please give some advice or tips. Thanks in advance

InFullStryde

« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2020, 08:34:32 PM »

Okay so I’m all done lengthening with the ERC. Dr M recommended I stop distracting at 75mm due to hamstring tightness. My knees are bent and I have “duck a$$”  :'( This part is not fun. PT gave me drills to do. I wondering if anyone else has dealt with this complication of bent knees??? Please give some advice or tips. Thanks in advance

Hi DaddyLongerLegs, 

Sorry, I'm just getting to your diary and others so late.  You have nothing to worry to about with the bent knees and duck ass. 

In summary:

Tight hamstrings are causing the legs to bend and tight quadriceps are causing duck ass.   I to stopped at about 75mm for the exact same reasons.  Having reviewed this, continue to stretch both the hamstrings and quadriceps on a daily basis 2-3 times a day.  Additionally, walk as much as you can so that your body can begin to adapt to the required movements.  People forget that walking by it self is a great way to stretch guads, hip flexors and hamstrings.

I advise that you review my diary and StrydeNailChallenge diary and review the videos that we both posted.  If you perform these stretches, I'm almost for sure that your leg bend and duck ass will begin to resolve right away.  Once you stop lengthening, you will see a dramatic difference every 3-4 weeks.  Your posture and alignment really do recover fast. 

Let me know if you need any assistance locating the videos.   Again, I went through a similar situation and it was within the 5-6 post-op point that my duck ass and leg bend was no longer noticeable. 

Here to advise as needed!

All the Best,

IFS
"Make the BEST of what you have and Make what you have, the BEST"
InFullSTRYDE with Dr. Mahboubian - Jan 2019
Start Height/End Height: 5'1.25"/5'4.25"
Status: Gained 3" and Recovered Successfully! | Stryde Nails Removed: November 2020
Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=9671
Pages: [1]   Go Up