Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stryde Nail Without FULL Weight-Bearing  (Read 388 times)

Stryde2021

Stryde Nail Without FULL Weight-Bearing
« on: September 24, 2020, 07:11:06 PM »

Hi all,
I am approx 215 pounds, 5'9 (a lot of muscle).  Strongly considering stryde femurs.  However, my doctor has given me the impression that because of my bone size I will only be able to use the 11.5mm diameter nail (which supports 200 pounds)--not the larger, 13mm nail (which supports 250 pounds).  Does anyone know how this will affect weigh-bearing?  It would seem to me that if I cannot put all 215 pounds on one-leg, then I can never walk unassisted until I have consolidated.  Is that right?

Thanks

Tartar

Re: Stryde Nail Without FULL Weight-Bearing
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2020, 07:44:44 PM »

Yes, it should be dangerous even if your weight is just close to the nail max. Maybe just to walk at home is ok, but outside I think it would be better to avoid. For example my doctor doesn’t allow me to even just use crutches but a walker only, even if my nail is the 10mm (150max) and my weight right now is just 110-115. For me this prohibition is probably too much, but in your situation, if I were you, I would be very careful. Nail breakage is a real drama.
Many people I’ve read about in this form go everywhere with the nail and seem to be ok, on the other hand I’ve seen several RX of nail folding in scientific articles about patients, it’s not uncommon.

Hagane

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2020, 08:34:15 PM »

post physique
Bilateral tibia lengthening with Dr Gdalevitch 02/2023
starting height approx 167cm ( morning height)
gained  55.55mm
End height approx just shy of 5 foot 8 ( morning height)

brondo

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2020, 10:00:42 PM »

Hi Stryde2021,

I'm in the same position as you, very overweight with muscle. I just plan on losing a lot of weight to get this procedure done. You can always gain the muscle back later on and will probably lose a lot due to the surgery. It seems like from what I've seen in the diaries, a lot of guys are very thin getting the surgery done, like sub 150 lbs. So I plan on diet and exercise along with stretching to give me the most optimal body going into the surgery. Like Tartar has said, nail breakage is not something you should risk and could cause a lot of problems for you.

-brondo

ghkid2019

• Inactive account
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2020, 11:10:10 PM »

You wanna know the answer? Lose weight you're obese. Might be muscular, doesn't matter the nail doesn't discriminate between heavy fatásses and heavy fit muscular people. It has no feelings. It simply cares about the pounds.

Things like going up stairs does more effective weight than just your body weight, going up stairs can be like 250lbs of force even though you're 215lb

Just lose some weight, then you're fine
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 11:38:16 PM by ghkid2019 »
This account is no longer in use.

User requested self-ban.
Pages: [1]   Go Up