Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stryde + WFH?  (Read 737 times)

Stryde2021

Stryde + WFH?
« on: October 02, 2020, 02:29:44 AM »

Looking for any stryde vets out there who worked from home or from a desk during at least part of the distraction phase.   If yes, when did you return to work?  (2 weeks post-op? 1 month? 2 months?).  And what was that experience like?

For any stryde vets out there who think this would have been impossible during the distraction phase, I'd also love to hear from you.

Thanks! 

readyprecisestryde

Re: Stryde + WFH?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2020, 03:56:10 AM »

I lengthened to 80mm femurs with stryde nail and tough to work full-time. I was able to work part time from a desk using computer and a phone. I had to stay focused with physical therapy, strengthening exercises, lengthening and stretching several times during the day.

brondo

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2020, 04:53:50 AM »

I lengthened to 80mm femurs with stryde nail and tough to work full-time. I was able to work part time from a desk using computer and a phone. I had to stay focused with physical therapy, strengthening exercises, lengthening and stretching several times during the day.

Hi readyprecisestryde,

Do you think having a full time office job would be difficult or impossible to handle during the distraction phase? Would it be hard to maintain the physical therapy regiment and a proper time to use the ERC to lengthen? Thanks.

-brondo

readyprecisestryde

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2020, 06:36:06 AM »

Hello Brondo,

Some individuals handle this surgery well and others are in state of shock. It depends on the person and also how demanding of work you gotta do. My energy level was low during the distraction phase. The first month was the worst and improved during 2nd and 3rd month. It is not impossible to work full time after the first month but it will be pretty hard and keeping up with everything else. Take first month off work at the minimum.......

brondo

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2020, 06:48:44 AM »

Hello Brondo,

Some individuals handle this surgery well and others are in state of shock. It depends on the person and also how demanding of work you gotta do. My energy level was low during the distraction phase. The first month was the worst and improved during 2nd and 3rd month. It is not impossible to work full time after the first month but it will be pretty hard and keeping up with everything else. Take first month off work at the minimum.......

Thank you so much readyprecisestryde!

m7liam

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2020, 03:14:33 PM »

I did stryde + WFH.

Did surgery on Thursday. Was out of hospital Sunday. Returned to work on Monday.

I also work in finance where hours are longer and I'm studying a full-time degree online at the same time.

Not an issue at all. Just depends on your coping ability.

brondo

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2020, 03:26:58 PM »

I did stryde + WFH.

Did surgery on Thursday. Was out of hospital Sunday. Returned to work on Monday.

I also work in finance where hours are longer and I'm studying a full-time degree online at the same time.

Not an issue at all. Just depends on your coping ability.

Hi m7liam,

Thanks for responding! Did you have a problem with the painkillers and medication making you drowsy or unable to focus? A lot of people I've read are in bed the first week. Most recommend taking off a month or so before you can return back to work. But I guess if you're doing all of this from home it would make sense.

BelowTheMean

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2020, 05:00:08 PM »

My surgery date is coming up, and I only took two 1/2 weeks off work officially. I have the ability to take up to nearly two months of vacation time though, but I don't plan on using it unless I can't get my work done. Based on all the journals that I've read and the nature of my work, I believe a lot of whether or not someone can get work done ties directly to their pain management. Therefore, I'm hoping for the best there, not only to get work done but also so PT and lengthening are easier.
Stryde Femurs - Debiparshad - Nov 2020
Nail Removal - Downey - Apr 2022
Journal (169cm -> 177cm) http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=65617

Current Status: Recovered, moving on

m7liam

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2020, 01:14:04 AM »

Hi m7liam,

Thanks for responding! Did you have a problem with the painkillers and medication making you drowsy or unable to focus? A lot of people I've read are in bed the first week. Most recommend taking off a month or so before you can return back to work. But I guess if you're doing all of this from home it would make sense.

First week I didn’t stay in bed. While I couldn’t get out of bed without help (nurse had to help me get on my wheelchair), I was able to work sitting in my wheelchair next to the desk.

With painkillers I felt minimal pain when I wasn’t moving my body in the first week (different if I was trying to move) so sitting at desk and typing was not painful. I’ve never felt drowsy from medication.

FormerKidd

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2020, 04:32:51 AM »

I did WFH after my second surgery but you should definitely plan to take the first 2 or 3 weeks off.  Things are much easier after that.  That said, you will still have occasional pains and need to stretch so far, so make sure your schedule can accomodate some flexibility.
Pages: [1]   Go Up