Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Netherlands is the tallest country in the world, but how tall is it really?  (Read 880 times)

Kintaeryos

You read a lot of contradictory statements online:

"I'm 5'9 and I felt normal there"
"I'm 6'2 and I was taller than most men"
"I'm 6'2 and feel short"
"I'm 6'4.5 and I feel average"
"I'm 6'1 and I feel normal"
"I'm 6'1 and I feel like a dwarf"
"I'm 6'5 and I don't feel that special"
"I'm 6'3, middle-aged and around young people I'm often the shortest"
"I'm 6'0 and my dating life seriously suffers"
"There's no way the average is as high as 6'0.5, it doesn't match my experiences as a Dutch person"
"The actual average is probably 6'2 according to my experience there"
"The beginning of tall is 6'1/6'2/6'3/6'4"
etc.

All of these being actual claims that I've read online. Quora and Reddit are probably the worst, there are some insane claims there.

As far as average height goes, you often hear the following numbers thrown around:

6'0 (self-reported, for young men, from the Dutch government's statistics agency)
6'0.5 (self-reported, men born in the 80s, from the Dutch government's statistics agency. Wikipedia also has it as an "estimated" height for men born in 2000 based on Bayesian analysis from previous "measured" data, I don't fully understand the statistics behind how it was generated)
5'11 (self-reported, all men, Dutch government)
6'1 (if you exclude non-native Dutch people who tend to be shorter, anecdotal)
6'2 (anecdotal)
6'3 (for some regions, anecdotal)

So what's the actual truth on the ground? Is it better worse than what you read online? From what height can you have a normal life there, what's the minimum for tall, and from what height is your dating life actually impacted? How screwed is someone who's barefoot 6'0 or 6'2 with lifts there? I'm not disputing that the Dutch are the tallest people in the world, my question is how much.

Body Builder

I've been before some years to Ukraine where the average height is almost the same as Netherlands (about 1cm difference so nothing important).
I could say that some men were really huge but there were plenty short men too. It was like everyone was either tall or short, aberage heights like mine 1.74-5 were almost non existent. Maybe it was just my imagination I don't know but thats what I felt.
Still I didn't feel intimidated nor short. I don't believe that in the Netherlands I would feel different, on the contrast I believe that I would feel even better as the men there are indeed very tall but not muscular at all compared.to Ukrainians or Balcans who are for sure more muscular than west europeans.
In a few words I believe that a man taller than 1.72 with a built body won't feel intimidated anywhere in the world.

Sorcerer

There are data. Of course you should only give credibility to data instead of random web users' bs. Nowadays you can even see someone claiming 12 y.o average height is 6' in China and this corroborates what I am saying.

Temoc

Based on my experience, it's around 182(6'). Slightly taller than other Northern Euro countries. That's not considering non-white immigrants who are mostly, but not always, shorter.
However, a few things to keep in mind. If the average is only 2 cms taller the number of very tall people will increase a lot, let's say from 1% to 2%, so you will see more giants walking around.
Also, tall people flock to certain places such as nightclubs, so if you're a tourist and you want to have some fun there you will meet more tall people than if you are an average dutch person working at a 9 to 5 job.

These 6'4" dudes saying they're short are just shocked that they don't tower over 95%+ of the people as they did back in their home countries. They're still very much above the average.

Lastly, that's just how the human brain works. You go meet some people, 2 guys there are 170cm and 2 guys there are 190cms, the average is 180. At 180 you will feel kinda short because you get towered by half of the people in your group.

Kintaeryos

Based on my experience, it's around 182(6'). Slightly taller than other Northern Euro countries. That's not considering non-white immigrants who are mostly, but not always, shorter.
However, a few things to keep in mind. If the average is only 2 cms taller the number of very tall people will increase a lot, let's say from 1% to 2%, so you will see more giants walking around.
Also, tall people flock to certain places such as nightclubs, so if you're a tourist and you want to have some fun there you will meet more tall people than if you are an average dutch person working at a 9 to 5 job.

These 6'4" dudes saying they're short are just shocked that they don't tower over 95%+ of the people as they did back in their home countries. They're still very much above the average.

Lastly, that's just how the human brain works. You go meet some people, 2 guys there are 170cm and 2 guys there are 190cms, the average is 180. At 180 you will feel kinda short because you get towered by half of the people in your group.
On an average day out, or night in the club/somewhere fun, what would you say is the "worst case scenario" as far as super tall guys are concerned? What are the tallest heights I can expect to see somewhat regularly? Not complete outliers, but your "typical" Dutch tall guy.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2024, 10:23:15 PM by Kintaeryos »

Temoc

On an average day out, or night in the club/somewhere fun, what would you say is the "worst case scenario" as far as super tall guys are concerned? What are the tallest heights I can expect to see somewhat regularly? Not complete outliers, but your "typical" Dutch tall guy.
I'm not Dutch, I've just visited there but I'd say 6'2" to 6'4". That's kind of the standard height of the good looking guy there that picks up lots of girls.
Solidly 2 inches taller than average and taller than all girls in heels but not a giant by any means.
Tons of girls are 5'8"-5'10", so in modest heels they will be 6' or a bit above that. But male shoes also add a solid inch so there's that.

At 6' you will be average.

Kintaeryos

I'm not Dutch, I've just visited there but I'd say 6'2" to 6'4". That's kind of the standard height of the good looking guy there that picks up lots of girls.
Solidly 2 inches taller than average and taller than all girls in heels but not a giant by any means.
Tons of girls are 5'8"-5'10", so in modest heels they will be 6' or a bit above that. But male shoes also add a solid inch so there's that.

At 6' you will be average.
If the "chad height range" in the Netherlands, i.e. heights that aren't that common and thus stand out, is 2-4 inches above the male average, how can there be "tons of girls" 1-3 inches above the female average (5'7)? But anyway I guess I'll consider 6'4 the worst case scenario and try to aim for as close to that as possible.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2024, 06:52:37 AM by Kintaeryos »

Body Builder

6.4 is a very tall height even for Netherlands. It is 3 inches taller than the average height.
Also even the taller women are not than 6ft with heels on so even a 6.1 ft man with shoes on will be significantly taller.
It is ridiculous to believe that you should be 6.4 to pick up women in these countries where Turks and other average height dark coloured men have more successes that even native ones. And that happens in Sweden also and many countries in north Europe too.

overandover

6.4 is a very tall height even for Netherlands. It is 3 inches taller than the average height.
Also even the taller women are not than 6ft with heels on so even a 6.1 ft man with shoes on will be significantly taller.
It is ridiculous to believe that you should be 6.4 to pick up women in these countries where Turks and other average height dark coloured men have more successes that even native ones. And that happens in Sweden also and many countries in north Europe too.

Been to the Netherlands recently and they are really really tall. Average excluding expats/immigrants is definitely above 6ft.

Kintaeryos

Been to the Netherlands recently and they are really really tall. Average excluding expats/immigrants is definitely above 6ft.
what's your height, or was when you went there, if I may ask?
Pages: [1]   Go Up