Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: BelowTheMean – Stryde Femurs w/ Dr. Debiparshad – Nov 2020  (Read 10798 times)

L8GrowthSpurt

Re: BelowTheMean – Stryde Femurs w/ Dr. Debiparshad – Nov 2020
« Reply #93 on: March 15, 2021, 02:54:44 AM »

Congrats BTM! I have very much enjoyed following your journey. Hope to hear about the consolidation phase as you have time. It must be such a relief to get the distraction phase done ✅ ; good job! Thanks for all the deets along the way - very interesting and helpful to me for hopefully following in your footsteps once stryde is back 👍
CLL wannabe - waiting for Stryde return
171.5 cm (morning height)
171 cm (day height)
Wingspan: 179 cm
Goal height - 179 cm (femurs)

Atlantic

• Visitor
« Reply #94 on: March 21, 2021, 12:08:42 AM »

Great diary  ;D  ;D

readyprecisestryde

« Reply #95 on: March 23, 2021, 05:35:19 AM »

Congrats BTM and wishing you a fast recovery  :)

BelowTheMean

« Reply #96 on: March 27, 2021, 08:04:48 PM »

Thanks for all the messages of support everyone! Not too much has changed yet, but I will record a walking video and update my journal tomorrow.

wow you reached the summit  :)

Many congratulations! your gait looks great!
Thanks, RD! It's okay for having just finished 8cm, but there's still a lot of work to do.

;D ;D funny

Congrats man it is only up from here and will get better
TY! I believe it will definitely get better, but I'm hoping that the recovery process is on the faster side.

Congratulations!  Wish you the best during the consolidation phase!

Thanks, SNC! After personally going through a rough distraction phase I am more in awe with your fast distraction and fast recovery!

Congrats BTM! I have very much enjoyed following your journey. Hope to hear about the consolidation phase as you have time. It must be such a relief to get the distraction phase done ✅ ; good job! Thanks for all the deets along the way - very interesting and helpful to me for hopefully following in your footsteps once stryde is back
Thanks, L8GrowthSpurt! I think waiting for Stryde is definitely worth it. I can't imagine how terrible it would be to not be able to walk independently for up to half a year.

Great diary  ;D  ;D
Thanks!

Congrats BTM and wishing you a fast recovery  :)
Thanks, readyprecisestryde!
Stryde Femurs - Debiparshad - Nov 2020
169cm -> 177cm
My Journal: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=65617

Current Status: Consolidation Phase

las vegas baby

« Reply #97 on: March 28, 2021, 11:02:19 AM »

congrats belowthemean! this is a great diary

BelowTheMean

« Reply #98 on: March 29, 2021, 12:47:00 AM »

congrats belowthemean! this is a great diary

Thanks, Las Vegas baby! I'm glad I'm done with lengthening and I'm hoping my recovery will be quicker than average, but we'll have to wait and see.
169cm -> 177cm

BelowTheMean

« Reply #99 on: March 29, 2021, 01:01:57 AM »

Surgery Week +18, Consolidation Week 1

Day 1
Nothing has changed yet (unsurprisingly) and I still woke up with incredibly sore and tight legs this morning. I had to run the massage gun on my legs before I could even get out of bed and stand up. I have decided to stop lengthening on the right side as well. I don’t think there is a noticeable discrepancy between my femurs. I have to stop at some point and I suppose that point was yesterday. I don’t expect my recovery to be instant, but I’m certainly hoping to see some signs of improvement over the coming days at least, so I can feel some hope.

I took Norco before PT today because I knew it was going to be rough in my current condition. At PT I walked 450 meters on the treadmill in 10 minutes. I started slowly at only 1.2mph, but gradually increased my speed and ended at 2.1mph, which is actually a decent pace for walking. My gait actually felt okay given how tight my legs are and I think my leg muscles are getting stronger. My main problem right now is just tightness/lack of flexibility. For all the other exercises at PT I felt pretty much the same as last week.

Day 2
I passed out pretty early the night before and I woke up at dawn this morning feeling like absolute crap even though I got a ton of sleep. I was sleeping on my back and my hamstrings were so tight that my legs weren’t fully straight so my heels were digging into the bed all night and actually hurt a little. I had to run the massage gun on my legs before I could get up, but it felt really good, which just goes to show how sore I was even while sleeping. I still had some trouble walking though.

I took Norco again before PT, but this time it did absolutely nothing. I didn’t feel any pain relief from the medication during PT. I was tired, even at the start of PT. I rode the stationary bike for 5 minutes at resistance level 4 and only went 0.55 miles. All of the other exercises also felt very difficult compared to usual. I actually felt worse today than any other day during the distraction phase (after recovering from the initial surgery.) While I was doing deadlifts with a 35 lb dumbbell, at the end of 20 reps I heard a loud popping sound in my right leg. Even the PT heard it clearly and was concerned for me. However, I didn’t feel any pain and nothing felt loose or wobbly, so I don’t think it was the nail. Hopefully it was just my hip joint popping, or if it was the nail then hopefully nothing is broken. It’s going to be a while before my next set of X-rays, so I really hope it’s not a structural issue with the nail or a broken screw. At least now that I’m done lengthening I (hopefully) don’t have to worry about mechanical issues with the nail, but until I consolidate I still have to worry about the integrity of the nail itself.

Nothing else interesting has happened so far in consolidation. I need to continue stretching more outside of PT. I definitely don’t have as much motivation to stretch as during the distraction phase since I’m not stretching so I can more easily run the ERC. However, I do hope to have a good recovery by the two month mark post-consolidation so I must keep pushing myself to stretch. I only managed to do one more stretching session at night, but hopefully as my legs feel better it will continually get easier for me to stretch.

Day 3
I woke up feeling a little bit better in my legs this morning, but still very stiff and sore. I think I had a slightly easier time walking around right after getting up, but I’m not even sure. I have a stuffy nose and headache and I’ve been a bit sleepy all morning. Hopefully it’s just a cold and not COVID-19. At least I don’t have a fever so I’m hoping that’s a good sign.

I was very busy with work, and didn’t get a chance to stretch until the late afternoon, but at that time I did a full stretching session even though I wasn’t feeling so great. Overall my legs still don’t feel very good yet, and I can’t get LL off my mind since nothing has changed since last week. I didn’t really have the energy to stretch today, but I know I need to stretch more.

Day 4
I was still feeling a bit below the weather this morning, but at least I think my legs felt a bit better when I woke up. For the first time in days I didn’t need to run the massage gun on my legs just to be able to straighten them out and stand up. I actually slept through my alarm and was awakened by a work message from a colleague, so I got up quickly and stayed busy with work all the way through lunchtime. Everything was okay at lunch, but then in the afternoon I realized that I had lost my sense of smell. I tried eating something and realized that I lost my sense of taste as well! So much for not having COVID-19. I must have gotten it from going to PT! After that I called PT to let them know I might have COVID-19 and then scheduled a rapid test online for the following morning.

I completed a few more stretching sessions in the afternoon and evening, but I wasn’t really in the mood to stretch or do much of anything at all.

Day 5
I woke up feeling just a tiny bit looser (like less than 1%) in my legs, and while it does feel like I’m improving, it’s not happening very quickly at all. I also felt very sick this morning, and I couldn’t even taste the mint flavor in my toothpaste. I took an early lunch break to go and get tested for COVID-19. I can’t believe it still takes multiple days to get test results one year into the pandemic; it must be one of the reasons why there are so many cases in the US.

I felt like absolute crap today and only managed to do one full stretching session done the whole day. I took a warm bath in the evening both for my legs and for my infection. Unfortunately it didn’t really make me feel any better. However, I noticed that it was a bit easier to get in and out of the tub than last week, which is a small victory. My hamstring and quad flexibility is definitely improving even though I’m not stretching as much as I could be. I guess the worst case scenario at this point is if it takes longer than expected to recover, but I don’t see why I wouldn’t continue to recover slowly over time regardless of how hard I work toward it.

Day 6
I slept in today, but didn’t feel all that refreshed. I’ve gotten more than 8 hours of sleep most days this week, but it’s hard to feel refreshed when I’m feeling this sick. However, even though I still have symptoms I believe things are a little better today since my nose is runny instead of stuffy today. Even if overall I don’t feel great, at least my symptoms are progressing. I guess I’ll be more sure that things are going in the right direction if I feel better instead of worse tomorrow. As for my legs, they feel about the same as yesterday, but I didn’t really stretch all that much yesterday. I think I can stretch more today since I feel a little better.

I took my last Xarelto pill today, so I’m completely off all limb lengthening meds now! This early spring weather outside is perfect today. Too bad I can’t go outside and take a walk. Although I’m sick I actually feel like I somehow have plenty of energy in my legs to work out. I guess I should be doing some PT leg training at home since I’m not getting it anywhere else.

I got my COVID-19 test results late at night. I tested positive and I’m not surprised at all. Guess I’ll have to call the PT on Monday to cancel my appointments for the next week or so. At this rate, my legs might be recovered to the point where I don’t need to go to PT anymore by the time it’s okay for me to go outside again haha.

Day 7
This morning I woke up feeling okay in terms of my COVID-19 infection. I can’t tell if it’s getting worse or better, so I assume it’s still just coming along. My legs felt a little tighter this morning than yesterday, but definitely still better than a week ago when I was at my peak tightness. I did a stretching session early in the day and then proceeded with the rest of my day normally (well, normal for someone with two broken legs and COVID-19.)

Today I noticed that while standing up with my thighs straight and bending my knee, both of my heels are able to come up higher than they did one week ago. I strongly believe there should be clear evidence of progress when I record another gait video one week from now. I’m not so sure about the improvement on the hamstring flexibility and raising my knees higher while standing, but my hamstrings are definitely a bit looser today. I can actually bend over and reach kind of close to my feet now. I also feel almost no tightness in the back of my knee when my legs are straightened all the way, which was not the case last week.

The inside half of my shins are still numb on both legs. It would actually be unnoticeable if it was just numbness, but it’s actually simultaneously numb and sensitive at the same time. For example, when I’m sitting in bed under the covers I can feel the blanket rubbing against the shin and it’s actually sensitive to that and a little uncomfortable. However, if I touch the bare skin on my shins with my hands, it’s not sensitive/uncomfortable and it just feels a little numb. At one point during the distraction phase when I was experiencing more nerve issues, the numb part of my shins was actually extra sensitive to hot and cold. It was especially noticeable when I took ice baths and hot baths. However, later on they were no longer temperature sensitive but still retained some numbness to touch. Generally when I wear compression pants I don’t feel weird in my shins, which is why I wore them a lot during the distraction phase (well that and it helped with swelling.) However, now that the weather is getting warmer I’m not really going to be able to wear compression pants normally.

This first week of consolidation actually passed by pretty quickly in retrospect. Sometimes I felt the drag of how slowly my legs were improving and the restriction of not being able to go outside. Going to PT over the last few months was definitely a necessity for me as it was pretty much my only social interaction outside of digital communication. I hope I can quickly improve a lot over the new few weeks so I can start seeing family and friends in person, especially since I’ll be immune to COVID-19 and I won’t have any excuses to hide inside anymore. I’m sure you guys are looking forward to hearing about my interactions with people close to me for the first time after lengthening. I’m certainly interested in their reactions as well! As I get closer to having a normal gait, I’m hoping you guys can also help review how passable my gait is in my videos.

Surgery Week +19, Consolidation Week 2

Day 1
This morning I woke up feeling quite lethargic. Even though I slept for over 8 hours I still didn’t want to get up. Recovering from LL and COVID-19 at the same time is not easy. I think my legs have returned to the level of tightness I felt when I was at around 7cm lengthened. Wearing compression pants last night definitely helped my legs feel better in general. I was quite busy with work today, but I took the time to call PT to inform them about my positive test result and reschedule my future appointments. In the afternoon and evening I did a bit of stretching. I think most of my COVID-19 cold-like symptoms have gone away, but I still feel tired all the time.

Day 2
I woke up feeling so tired this morning. I think one of the worst things about having COVID-19 is sleeping for over 8 hours each night but not feeling refreshed when I wake up. This lack of energy is making me less productive at work, less capable of stretching my legs, and I just don’t feel motivated to do anything. My legs feel about the same level of stiffness as yesterday, so the rate of improvement is very slow. I think if I started walking major distances I would improve faster, but that’s not really possible when I can’t go outside. I guess there’s the possibility of going out for a walk this weekend if I’m asymptomatic. It was a little easier to put on my socks this morning; I have been struggling for a while with socks on the left side due to the lack of flexibility in my left quadricep. I’ll take one small victory at a time I guess. Again, I was too busy at work (and really didn’t have enough energy) to stretch during the day, but I did a longer stretching session in the evening while watching TV. I’m guessing it might be better to spread out my stretching throughout the day if possible though.

Day 3
This morning I woke up feeling very tired again even though I got plenty of sleep. Not having energy is making it difficult to get work done or to work out, both of which are important to me right now. I feel like my legs were actually a little tighter this morning, so it looks like even in the consolidation phase there are some good days and some bad days. I wish that I was still going to PT and that I had more energy so I could stretch every day. Hopefully next week will be better for both my infection and my legs.   

In the evening after taking a hot bath, I clipped my toenails for the first time since consolidating. It was much easier to do than when I did it about two weeks ago. Last time I had to sit on a chair and elevate my foot onto another chair to reach my foot. This time I was flexible enough to stand in the bathroom and put each foot on the toilet while maintaining balance. I think overall things are getting easier and easier. I am having less and less trouble doing things that require balance on one leg. I definitely think my improvement would be quicker if I didn't catch COVID-19.

Day 4
It was difficult to get up yet again this morning. I had to force myself to get out of bed and sign into work. I hope I don’t have long COVID. My legs are still pretty tight in the morning, though it’s not as hard to stretch them out as before. Running the massage gun in the morning helps a bit as well, but I’m able to get out of bed immediately and walk to the bathroom without stretching if necessary. I just end up swinging my legs a little more and walk with a terrible gait. I’m really looking forward to when I can walk longer distances and return to PT to help build up more leg strength. I’m not hoping for much at the two week mark post-lengthening, but if I recover from COVID-19 soon then I see a lot of potential for bigger improvements at the four week mark.

Later in the night I gained at least some sense of smell and taste back. Maybe I am finally recovering from COVID-19. Unfortunately, before I went to sleep I felt a bit of nerve discomfort on the bottom of both my shins near my feet. I guess my legs still have some recovering to do in terms of nerve stretching. Hopefully these lingering issues all go away eventually. Putting on compression pants helped with the issue and I ran the massage gun on my legs before falling asleep. I feel like my quads are “looser” than before in that I finally have some slack in the quad muscles when I run the massage gun on them, whereas not too long ago they were tight regardless of whether the muscle was relaxed or flexed.

Day 5
This morning I continued to have trouble getting up due to being tired. My legs are doing okay, though I still feel a little stiff walking around, especially if I don’t stretch first. My glutes are still non-existent; if I sit in bed all day my butt will be uncomfortable. I’m looking forward to getting back some of my “padding” there. My sense of smell and taste are mostly back now, which is a relief since I heard that some people lost those senses for months after contracting COVID-19. Aside from being very tired in the morning, I don’t really have any other symptoms remaining. I only have one more day of quarantine remaining based on guidelines from the city health department. I plan to go outside and take a walk sometime this weekend if the weather permits. I’ll consider starting up PT again next week if they’ll take me.

In the evening when I was charging my electronics, I nearly tripped over my work laptop cord. While I didn’t fall over, I did put a lot more weight down on my right leg to maintain balance. I didn’t feel anything wrong and didn’t hear any sounds coming from my leg so hopefully I didn’t damage the nail. I guess you can never be too careful when it comes to balance in the consolidation phase! I did a stretching session before going to bed, and noticed that my quad flexibility is getting better. I’m sure my hamstring flexibility is getting better, but it’s not as noticeable as the improvement in my quad flexibility lately.

Day 6
This morning I woke up feeling quite tight in the legs. It went away fairly quickly though even as I was sitting in bed for a bit on my computer before getting up. I don’t know when I’ll be back to feeling “normal” first thing in the morning, but right now although my legs feel tight in the morning it doesn’t bother me that much - it’s just a consistent reminder that I did LL. I was a little sleepy this morning, but actually not too bad compared to the last few days, so I think I'm pretty much done recovering from COVID-19. I still have one more day of quarantine though, so I can’t go outside today. I have enough energy to work out at least, so I will be stretching and exercising my legs a bunch today.

Day 7
This morning I was pretty tired, but it might be because I went to sleep late last night rather than still being tired from lingering COVID-19 symptoms. I can finally go outside today since my quarantine period has ended and there are a couple of errands I need to run.

In the late afternoon when it was the warmest outside I went out for a walk. I had a goal of one mile in mind so I walked in one direction and didn’t turn around until I hit the 0.5 mile mark. Due to the pandemic and the fact that it was still a bit cold outside, there weren’t many people outside - mostly just people walking dogs. Interestingly, no one seemed to stare at me so my gait might be somewhat passable, but I was certainly staring at other people trying to emulate their gait (hah.) I ended up walking 1.07 miles (1.72km) at a 33 min/mile pace. This was the longest continuous leg exercise I’ve done since surgery. My heart rate went all the way up to 147bpm at some point, so it was definitely tiring for me and I’m clearly still in a phase of recovery. My terrible anterior pelvic tilt is also still there, so walking for this long actually hurts the small of my back. Hopefully that gets better over time as I get more flexible. I can still feel a lot of my muscles in my leg getting tight as I walk, so my gait is limited by flexibility as well as strength.

When I got home I decided to rest for a bit before trying to record any video since my legs were very tired and my gait would probably be quite sloppy if I tried to film right away. I took a break, then cooked and ate dinner. After dinner and sitting in bed for a while, when I stood up to walk again I realized that I wasn’t going to be able to record a video. My legs were so tired that I couldn’t even force myself to have a reasonable gait without some level of pain from the fatigue. I will record and upload a video soon though as it helps me track my progress.

After another week of consolidation I can say that I've been progressing quite slowly. COVID-19 was definitely a dampener on my recovery, but now that my body has dealt with it, I think I will have a much better recovery over the next two weeks. It has been a lot easier to do stretching sessions in the last few days. I have a time constraint on getting my normal gait back as I have a wedding to attend in a few months where many of my close friends will be present. Hopefully this pushes me to work harder than I would otherwise and stretch more and walk longer distances to recover faster! I plan to call the PT tomorrow morning and restart my appointments for next week if they are okay with me returning.
169cm -> 177cm

Serilium

« Reply #100 on: March 29, 2021, 01:45:15 AM »

sucks you got covid. glad you recover. free covid vaccine XD

cant wait for the recovery now that theres no more walls to stop you
cheers

L8GrowthSpurt

« Reply #101 on: March 29, 2021, 02:37:05 AM »

Thanks for the update! Sounds to me like the COVID is making it hard to feel great about progress over the past week - bad luck 😐; stay limber and I’m sure this is going to be much improved soon...stay strong 💪
171 cm (day height)

RazalDazal

« Reply #102 on: April 01, 2021, 03:07:29 PM »

Congratulations! I hope your recovery is going well from COVID
~RD

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #103 on: April 02, 2021, 07:11:49 AM »

BTM, just got a chance to review your updates. I am sorry you got covid. From your notes, I don't think you would have any permanent impact cause of covid. But to be safe, can you ask your primary doctor to arrange for some tests (on lungs, kidney, liver, etc.) for your general health?
Starting Height [morning time]: 172.5 cm, Ending: 180.5
SNC - Femurs' Stryde Nail Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=65337.0

BelowTheMean

« Reply #104 on: April 02, 2021, 03:34:17 PM »

sucks you got covid. glad you recover. free covid vaccine XD

cant wait for the recovery now that theres no more walls to stop you
cheers
Hopefully smooth sailing all the way to the end!

Thanks for the update! Sounds to me like the COVID is making it hard to feel great about progress over the past week - bad luck; stay limber and I’m sure this is going to be much improved soon...stay strong
I'm definitely able to work out more now, so hopefully my recovery will accelerate.

Congratulations! I hope your recovery is going well from COVID
Thanks, RD. Even during the time I had COVID I think my legs loosed up a decent amount. The consolidation phase definitely feels better than distraction phase overall!

BTM, just got a chance to review your updates. I am sorry you got covid. From your notes, I don't think you would have any permanent impact cause of covid. But to be safe, can you ask your primary doctor to arrange for some tests (on lungs, kidney, liver, etc.) for your general health?
Hey SNC, I haven't even considered the possibility of organ damage. I haven't really gotten sick recently so I haven't had a PCP since mine retired in 2015. I'm going to the hospital for X-rays in a week or two, so I'll see if I can schedule some tests for that time.
169cm -> 177cm

BelowTheMean

« Reply #105 on: April 05, 2021, 02:24:07 AM »

Surgery Week +20, Consolidation Week 3

Day 1
I went to sleep very late last night due to a work emergency but woke up feeling only somewhat tired this morning. I'll take it as a good sign given that just a few days ago I was incredibly tired every morning even after consecutive days of over nine hours of sleep. My legs are still a little tired, stiff, and sore from yesterday, but that’s probably reasonable given how long I walked. I hope to recover quickly from the fatigue so I can do more long walks and improve my gait. I also hope that I will be able to push myself hard at PT, which I’m starting back up later this week. I was very busy with work today, but I managed to complete a stretching session during a long meeting where I didn’t have to talk much. My legs weren’t feeling that much better in the evening and I was also feeling a bit lazy so I didn’t record a gait video.

Day 2
I got a lot more sleep last night and woke up at a reasonable time, feeling pretty refreshed. I think I can confidently say the COVID-19 fatigue is finally gone. I was busy at work again today but I found some time to stretch during the day. My legs have recovered from the long walk outside two days ago but unfortunately I still didn’t feel like recording a video today. I think I'm just going to wait until the weekend to do it.

Day 3
This morning I woke up feeling some nerve activity in the middle of my right shin. It was pulsating and at first I thought it was at the skin level so I applied some pressure on it with my left foot. That’s when I realized it was the nerve inside and I couldn’t stop it by putting pressure my my skin. However, it wasn’t painful and it went away as soon as I got out of bed so no big concern. My legs felt pretty good in the morning which was fortunate because I had PT later in the day.

At PT I warmed up on the treadmill, walking 0.32 miles in 10 minutes. I started at 1.5mph and worked up way up to 2.5mph, which felt like a pretty quick pace. I am definitely feeling weaker on my left side than my right side again, as I am less stable when putting weight on my left side. After that, I did some stretches and then all the regular PT exercises that I had been doing before my forced break from PT. I think there may still be some lingering weakness from COVID-19, because my heart rate went all the way up to 173bpm while I was exercising. It rarely went over 150 during PT in the past (except when I was trying to push myself on the bike.) Fortunately, I didn’t have to do the leg press today. While the PT was working on me, she said that my muscles definitely felt looser than they did two weeks ago, which was not all that surprising to me. She said my hamstrings were not loosening as quickly as my quadriceps though.

In the afternoon when I was sitting in bed working, I randomly felt nerve pulsing in my right shin again, in the same spot as this morning. It lasted for about 15 minutes and then went away by itself. I see it as just another sign that fully recovering from LL isn’t going to be so quick and easy. After work my legs were still pretty sore from PT, so I just relaxed all evening.

Day 4
This morning I woke up with pretty stiff legs, but they weren’t as sore as I would have expected them to be considering how tired I was after PT yesterday. I worked a bit in the morning and then went to PT. At PT I warmed up on the treadmill again and walked at a steady 2.0mph pace for 10 minutes, totaling about 500 meters. My PT wasn’t in today, so one of the other PTs worked on me instead. She manually stretched my hamstrings, quads, and piriformis muscle. I actually haven’t stretched my piriformis muscle in a while because toward the end of lengthening it would actually hurt my knees a lot to do that stretch. She got me pretty good with all the stretches but I’m sure it helped because there is no way I would have stretched that hard on my own. Next she had to roll out my quads with the painful rolling pin thing. One minute on each side, literally 6-7/10 pain. My quads felt pretty good and very loose afterwards though. I continued to do more exercises (no leg press yet fortunately) for the remainder of the hour and I felt like I got a decent workout in. My heart rate did not spike up as high as yesterday while working out, which is a promising sign.

In the afternoon while I was sitting on my bed working I realized I could easily cross my legs now (at the ankle.) I like sitting with my legs crossed in bed and find it easier to sleep on my back when my legs are crossed. This is a big improvement because just a few days ago my IT band would still feel stretched and uncomfortable when I crossed my legs. I got in one more stretching session in the evening.

Day 5
I woke up with somewhat stiff legs this morning, though they felt much better after I walked around the house for a bit. I didn’t have to stretch or run the massage gun on my legs to loosen them up, so that’s another sign of recovery, albeit pretty small because I think it would still help to stretch and massage my legs. I took my last prescription grade Vitamin D pill and don’t plan on getting any more unless my next X-rays look bad. I’m still taking a daily Vitamin D and calcium supplement, and I have Synergy Bone Renewal which I occasionally take as well (I would take it more consistently but I always forget.)

At PT today I warmed up on the treadmill again. I walked just over 500 meters at a 2mph pace. It continues to be difficult to walk without any swinging. The tightness in the legs and hips make it difficult to have a normal gait, and my stabilizing muscles are still weak. I did a bunch of random PT exercises as usual, but I had to do the leg press today. With both legs I was barely able to do 25 reps of 145 pounds. On the single leg press, the PT set me up with 117.5 pounds, which I could not move one bit on my left leg. I had to go all the way down to 90 pounds to be able to do a set of 20 on each leg. I think I lost about 5-10 pounds while I had COVID-19 and it’s clear that some (or most) of it was muscle, which is not great for my recovery.

Aside from that, in the evening my legs were pretty tired and I couldn’t even walk with a decent gait without feeling some pain in my legs. I think I feel it the most in the various joints or muscles in my hip area. I would probably eat some acetaminophen if it was worse but I'll avoid taking any painkillers unless I have to.

Day 6
My legs were still pretty sore this morning and I’m guessing it’s from doing three days of PT back-to-back. I want to recover quickly, but I guess my body still has limitations and I need to rest my legs when they are tired. Therefore today will just be a rest day and I don’t plan on doing any leg exercises except stretching.

Day 7
I woke up with pretty stiff legs this morning, but that quickly went away when I got up and started my day. I ran the massage gun on my legs for good measure though. I was going to go out for a one mile walk today since the weather was perfect, but I figured if I did that I probably wouldn’t be able to record a gait video afterwards. Instead, I recorded a video in the early afternoon before going out. Then for my daily exercise I just went grocery shopping in the afternoon.

At the grocery store I'm very confident that no one noticed anything wrong with my gait while I was pushing the cart around. It’s definitely not noticeable anymore with just a bit of light support for balance from holding the cart as my body won't wobble or sway at all. Honestly things feel pretty normal while grocery shopping, except I’m a bit slower than normal people when turning or changing directions.

In the evening I had time to edit and upload the video. Here it is:

I think my gait has improved a little bit. However, there is still definitely weakness on my left side. When I put weight on my left leg my body still swings to the left a bit for balance. I believe this is due to weak stabilizing muscles on the left side. I’m not sure if it’s one of the gluteal muscles or something else (maybe there's a muscle connected to the IT band?) but I will ask the PT to focus more on training that area starting next week. I feel like even though it has been months already, that stabilizing muscle doesn't seem to have gotten much stronger yet, whereas on the right side I feel the equivalent muscle is doing its job like a normal person's. For flexibility, I still can’t lift my knee to the point where my thigh is horizontal yet (which I could in the week 10 video) so until I get to that point I can’t say that I’ve recovered past where I was in the middle of lengthening. As for my quad flexibility, both legs can get to at least horizontal with the ground when I bend my knee, so definitely a big improvement over three weeks ago. Continuing to improve at least at this rate over the next three weeks would be great so I’ll keep stretching and pushing my legs!

One other thing I want to note is that I’m still not that great with stairs as I went up and down some stairs today for the first time in a while. Going up the stairs was fine, but going down the stairs I feel very weak and unstable when my right foot is leading, because my left leg is very weak and lowering my body weight puts a lot of strain on my left leg. I have a feeling it might take a while to fully regain my confidence when going down stairs. I think it will help once my femurs are consolidated as well because I have to lower myself down the stairs pretty slowly to minimize the impact on the nail and I think that’s part of the reason my left leg struggles since it’s not that strong yet. If I could lower myself quickly then I won't need the muscles in my left leg to keep me steady for as long. However, by the time my bones are consolidated I imagine that all the muscles in my left leg should be a lot stronger as well.

Finally, I don’t feel like there’s a big enough difference in my legs from one day to the next to warrant breaking this journal into daily entries anymore. I also don’t feel like taking daily notes anymore. Basically on average I improve a tiny bit each day and my muscles feel looser and stronger each day. There’s no magical feeling that my legs are suddenly normal after finishing lengthening; I have to continue working on them and wait for my body to continue to heal. I will try to summarize each week and update once every few weeks. Once I feel like my gait has recovered better I’ll probably switch to monthly updates or just updating when something interesting happens.
169cm -> 177cm

Realistic

« Reply #106 on: April 06, 2021, 01:42:48 PM »

Awesome man..
"Where the willingness is great, the difficulties cannot be great" - Machiavelli

Serilium

« Reply #107 on: April 06, 2021, 02:47:25 PM »

walk looks good and with time will be better! good recovery belowthemean

no worries about daily updates :) this is plenty

cheers

L8GrowthSpurt

« Reply #108 on: April 08, 2021, 12:13:46 AM »

Bravo on the dedication - both on your recovery and the diary. Very helpful and appreciated 👍.  Btw, you look way taller! Nice job!
171 cm (day height)

itseasy

• Visitor
« Reply #109 on: April 08, 2021, 09:37:46 AM »

What’s up BTM!! Lengthening to 8cm ain’t no joke huh??? I remember once I hit 6cm, I was like “holy sh*t!!”....and then from there to about 7.9cm for me the tightness was crazy as hell man.

Don’t worry about your range of motion, eventually it all comes back. Sometimes one leg is better than the other. But slowly but surely it all comes back. My left leg is like nothing even happened. My right leg hamstring is perfect, I just have a few degrees to improve on the quads, but it’s not affecting my walk or anything. Main ordeal at the moment for me is rebuilding the muscle mass and strength in my glutes, hips and quads.

And yes, going down stairs is a fun adventure but that has really improved for me. But I do remember the first few weeks of consolidation... I was holding on railing for dear life going downstairs!!! Lol
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up