Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newfound anxiety about keeping 6cm height gain hidden from family  (Read 629 times)

infinity&beyond

Greetings Earthlings,

I’m currently 179cm tall, considering lengthening 6cm to 185cm under Dr Giotikas. As a bit of background, I’m not too sure how exactly I first came across this forum, or Limb Lengthening itself for that matter, but since I’ve known about it the procedure has always occupied a small, unattended, grey corner of my brain. I’ve long been sceptical of it and scrutinised what I read on here with just as much scepticism. This was until recently when a friend of mine from my distant past showed up on my radar completely out of the blue, the first I had seen or heard of him in years. For what? He was recounting his experience having just returned from overseas where he underwent a controversial limb lengthening surgery to become taller. It’s hard to give full perspective in so few words but cutting to the chase, this was a coincidence of herculean proportion. What were the chances someone I know first-hand had done it. Either I got chanced or… LL is not as lowkey as everyone thinks it is…? Either way, this experience was the single biggest act of reassurance there could ever really be. It completely legitimised LL in my eyes, giving credence to much of the stuff I’ve read on here since joining.

Having cycled in and out of phases where I actually take LL seriously, each time mentally mapping out how I would go about it, I think I have mulled in my head, come to terms with and overcome nearly every insecurity and source of anxiety which I hear mentioned on this forum. Things that once seemed insurmountable and enough to deter me from researching further, are simply now just blimps on my radar. In fact it is laughable how I used to think on some of these fronts. However, one thing that I have been wrestling with this time around, that too for longer than usual, is the anxiety I am experiencing around how to hide it from my family. I didn’t want to bring this up thinking that it would just subside like the rest of my previous musings about LL, but this one is legit. Please don’t ask why or question whether I should or should not, the fact of the matter and premise of this is that I don’t want anyone to know about my LL on my return to my country. I will get scar removal and perfect my walk, they are not the main concern. The main concern is the height itself. I want to do 6cm, how the hell can I hide that from, for example, my dad, who I see daily and is just 1cm shorter than me?

OverSixFeetTall

Re: Newfound anxiety about keeping 6cm height gain hidden from family
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2021, 02:45:18 AM »

How old are you? I ask this because if you’re still a certain age, you’re still growing

Also why do you want to hide it from them? What’s the fear? If you live with them, they will notice unless you move out.
My Current Height: 5'9
My Goal Height: 6'0
Lengthen: Femurs

SpeedDialer

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2021, 02:50:00 AM »

Here is what you can do around people who knew your old height:
- lengthen less
- slouch more/sit more
- wear thinner soled shoes
- stand less straight, spread legs a little bit

In other words, there is no way to hide it, but it will probably be worth it anyway.

Tell us how it goes in a diary, and tell us how Greece is! :) Happy for you that you will be able to reach 185 cm

I'm researching neighborhoods in Greece, I heard that it is good to live near the PT center in Athens

I'm also considering Parihar, who I hear is about 12k$ + cheaper, probably a bit more when factoring in living costs in Mumbai being cheaper than Athens

infinity&beyond

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2021, 02:55:13 AM »

I'm 25 and yes, I am near the age where I should be moving out. though I don't want it to be just because of LL. Further, I'm willing to lengthen just 5cm to 183cm if that gives me a pass.

RB

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2021, 03:11:06 AM »

I have had those same thoughts mate. I plan to lengthen 7 or 8cm and from the diaries and experiences people have had on the forum, it is almost impossible to hide that type of gain, even 6cm would be very tough. I came to the conclusion that you will have to accept the fact the some people will notice and may even say something to you about it. If they didn't and it wasn't a noticeable gain, what would be the point of the surgery in the first place? My parents, sister and gf know I am doing it but it will be interesting and a bit nerve-wrecking to see if my friends or extended family say something / notice which I am sure they will. I am even thinking of telling a couple of my close friends.

At the end of the day if you truly want this surgery you will have to accept people close to you noticing the height gain and weigh if the benefit of being taller is worth people close to you noticing that you are taller. For me the benefits of being taller at 163cm largely outweigh people noticing which is one reason I decided to bite the bullet and book the surgery.

And like SpeedDialer mentioned you can wear flat shoes, crouch etc if you need to in certain situations.
Femurs with Dr. Betz - March 2021
5'4" > 5'7.5"
Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=66296.0

infinity&beyond

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2021, 03:40:26 AM »

I’m thinking 3cm, come back home. Chill for a bit. Some time later sneak in 3 more cm

SpeedDialer

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2021, 03:41:17 AM »

I'm not sure if 5 cm will give you a pass, might will be slightly better but obviously I support you doing less. Would be pretty catastrophic if you got a complication doing an extra cm when it maybe could have been avoided and you're already 179 cm

Anyway, what are your thoughts on Dr. Parihar? He is another option I'm considering

SpeedDialer

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2021, 03:43:40 AM »

I forget how much extra that costs, but honestly it doesn't sound so bad to break it up into two times. I know that Dr. Paley will agree to break his patient's legs a second time to get additional length if the nail is still in there.

It would be really cool if you did and told us how it went, I wonder if it is easier to do it that way in terms of pain since the second time you will have adapted to the 3cm already done

Kal el

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2021, 04:12:10 AM »

M not trying to be rude but i dont think u have researched abt the process properly..once u start lengthening u cant really stop for more then a month coz consolidation part comes in and and its gonna be a mess if tht happens and u haven't reached ur goal yet..it's called premature consolidation..but yeah if u mean u wanna check in on ur parents for like 1 or 2 days and thn carry on again..then its fine....and 1cm isn't noticeable anyways so u do 5 or 6 it doesn't matter.

sportiveshort

• Visitor
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2021, 04:24:53 AM »

One thing I am doing is I have started wearing insoles so people will get used to it.
I wear only 3cm though (They are quite uncomfortable), but I guess the perception change is different when your height increases by 4cm rather than 7cm.

SpeedDialer

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2021, 04:35:21 AM »

Hm.... wonder if you can wear boots or something else if the lifts are uncomfortable? I really am afraid that injuring the knee beforehand will cause more problems down the road

infinity&beyond

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2021, 06:34:47 AM »

I’m in a sort of limbo interim probation phase since I just started work. Pay is low and funds are far from what I need for the procedure, though slowly accumulating. Furthermore I can’t really take leave or holidays yet and I live at home.

To be fully free and independent on all of these fronts won’t be until around end of 2022, after my probation period is over. By this time my finances will be in check, I will be allowed to travel freely for work or even take extended time off and hopefully have moved out of home. This is the clear and obvious opportune time to go for it.

That said, I small have a gap where I’ll be in France for work for around 2 months in June of this year. I’m thinking if I can get my bosses approval to extend this to 6 months then I’ll be in the go to fly to Greece and spend the 6 months there instead. I’ll be working remotely anyway. During this time I’ll do 3cm femurs.

The remaining 3cm tibias will be done once my probation period is over around end of 2022. The only reason for splitting it up like this is it will give me time to acquaint my family first with the 3cm taller me, then with the 6cm taller me. The plan otherwise would be to just do it all at end of 2022, needless to say though it would be a stressful return home 6cm taller all at once.

overandover

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2021, 12:59:47 PM »

You can just say you corrected your posture or something.  :P

(w)heel(s)

• Visitor
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2021, 04:45:37 PM »

Greetings Earthlings,

Good day my fellow Mortal!

I spent some time thinking this out, the best which came to my mind is (for the lack of better term) Sampling, Gaslighting & Replacement.

Sampling
Start early, months or years before the surgery.
Keep exposing your environment to occasional height shifts (barefoot, lift shoes, airmax, skates, boots, you got the point).
Pay attention who notices the change.
Satisfy their curiosity by simple and self-explanatory "justifications" ("accidentlqy" expose tat your new sport shoes give you some extra inches, do not hide it, but never discuss it openly). Turn it into a joke if asked directly.

Gaslighting
Stress your peers with frequent and sudden height changes, which are alwyas "justified".
Get them used to it, so after some time even the most curious ones will no longer notice.
Could be even skateboard, anything to let them accept talking to your head up.
At this point, start using any form of elevator shoes on a daily basis, increase the lift progressively.

Replacement
After surgery, you will stand tall as usual, but this time on your own feet.
Pages: [1]   Go Up